ImageImageImageImageImage

WOJ - OG to Knicks (Live Presser pg 67)

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,904

Re: WOJ - OG to Knicks (Live Presser pg 67) 

Post#1761 » by dTox » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:26 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Masai should throw a max offer at OG just to F with the Knicks.

Most here seem to think Masai and Rose made a fair trade with each other. Value for value. Honorable way of doing business. I can't think why Masai would then turn around and do something to screw the same team, in bad faith.

Spurs made an offer to Jakob this offseason, no one batted an eye, this is a business at the end of the day. Also F*** what the Knicks think, they are suing for goodness sakes
TBZ for the win
SpezNc
Rookie
And1: 617

Post#1762 » by SpezNc » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:28 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
SpezNc wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=i9oiV7V_IVKI_hyZ3OS-wA[/x]

why should he? he is pending FA. He should protect his body especially when its regular season games we are talking about.

I agree 100%

Also playing hurt is often hurting both the player and the team on short and long term

Short term: the player can’t play at max abilities
Long term: playing hurt often lead to longer injuries sometimes by overcompensating elsewhere if not straight up re- injured yourself.
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,620

Post#1763 » by HangTime » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:46 am

He can be the Broadway Villain, and make his way back to Toronto.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,337

Post#1764 » by brownbobcat » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:59 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Masai should throw a max offer at OG just to F with the Knicks.

Most here seem to think Masai and Rose made a fair trade with each other. Value for value. Honorable way of doing business. I can't think why Masai would then turn around and do something to screw the same team, in bad faith.

Apparently the CBA doesn't even allow for the Raps to re-sign OG.

No, that's incorrect. The rule applies to reacquiring a traded player in the same season.

OG is a free agent after the season ends, and that rule no longer applies.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,706

Post#1765 » by 2019nbachamps » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:41 am

Now NY media is beating up on OG. Wonder how he responds to the pressure. Players love NY for obvious reasons but the media spotlight is a different beast (only the Lakers and Celtics compare IMO).
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,348

Post#1766 » by MiamiSPX » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:48 am

2019nbachamps wrote:Now NY media is beating up on OG. Wonder how he responds to the pressure. Players love NY for obvious reasons but the media spotlight is a different beast (only the Lakers and Celtics compare IMO).

It's only going to get worse once he's making 35M+ per season and missing 15-20 games each year.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,224

Post#1767 » by tecumseh18 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:57 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Untrue. (Unless you can point to a specific provision).

The only obstacle is where a team trades a player during the season who is then bought out by the new team. The original team can't re-sign the bought out player ... DURING THE SAME SEASON. So the Heat couldn't have re-signed Kyle after he was waived by Charlotte.

But after the season, in July, everything is reset. Heat could re-sign Lowry. OG is a UFA, and the Raps have cap space (but not enough - unless Masai is willing to give up a first to unload Boucher's contract).
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,337

Post#1768 » by brownbobcat » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:22 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:

I don't see why it would be dirty pool. The trade was the trade, free agency has nothing to do with that. Now, it would look bad if OG came back on a deal that was under market value or refused to sign with NY, but I doubt that would be the case. We're talking about a scenario where Toronto would outbid NY - or at least force them to spend near max. It's a pipe dream, I think there enough teams out there with cap that OG would be maxed somewhere if not NY. Philly for one.
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 3,148

Post#1769 » by TheGeneral99 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:35 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:Now NY media is beating up on OG. Wonder how he responds to the pressure. Players love NY for obvious reasons but the media spotlight is a different beast (only the Lakers and Celtics compare IMO).

I don't think people realize how brutal the sports media is in places like NY, Philly, Chicago, Boston and LA...they make our media look like soft little babies.

OG has always been injury prone, he regularly misses 20-30 games a year, this is nothing new for Raptors fans. It's always been frustrating having OG in and out of the line-up constantly.

People forget that OG missed 34 games last year and 29 games the year before...if we had a healthy OG for those 2 seasons we are likely a 50+ win team both seasons.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 12,025

Post#1770 » by Los_29 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:43 pm

This is what I worry about with OG in NYC. They won’t be as forgiving if he continues to miss time especially if they give him a big contract.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,297

Post#1771 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:55 pm

dTox wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Spurs made an offer to Jakob this offseason, no one batted an eye, this is a business at the end of the day. Also F*** what the Knicks think, they are suing for goodness sakes

The suit is about Dolan. Masai and Dolan put that aside and made a fair deal, as professionals.

I don't expect Masai to make OG an offer anyway
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,190

Post#1772 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:02 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Untrue. (Unless you can point to a specific provision).

The only obstacle is where a team trades a player during the season who is then bought out by the new team. The original team can't re-sign the bought out player ... DURING THE SAME SEASON. So the Heat couldn't have re-signed Kyle after he was waived by Charlotte.

But after the season, in July, everything is reset. Heat could re-sign Lowry. OG is a UFA, and the Raps have cap space (but not enough - unless Masai is willing to give up a first to unload Boucher's contract).

Thanks for clarifying.

Nonetheless, I'm not interested in paying 40mil AAV for a guy who's only gonna suit up for 50 or so games.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,473

Post#1773 » by XTC » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:14 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:

I don't think people realize how brutal the sports media is in places like NY, Philly, Chicago, Boston and LA...they make our media look like soft little babies.

OG has always been injury prone, he regularly misses 20-30 games a year, this is nothing new for Raptors fans. It's always been frustrating having OG in and out of the line-up constantly.

People forget that OG missed 34 games last year and 29 games the year before...if we had a healthy OG for those 2 seasons we are likely a 50+ win team both seasons.

It's always the time of his injuries which was infuriating. He would go a stretch averaging 18/6/2 with DPOY level defense to only get injured, then come back, work himself back into shape, gain momentum and go on another tear for a week or two... and then get injured again...
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,914

Post#1774 » by Tacoma » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:03 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:

It's only going to get worse once he's making 35M+ per season and missing 15-20 games each year.

Yes NY media is tough but this is OG we're talking about. His personality is kind of like Kawhi in a way, low key, keeps to himself showing little emotion, not caring much about what others outside his circle thinks. NY media won't faze him one bit.

As for possibility of signing with TOR? No way José! He loves it there; his agent Sam Rose is the son of Knicks President Leon Rose so they will surely come to a favorable contract agreement to satisfy OG. He'll be re-signing in NY come hell or high water.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,277

Post#1775 » by DelAbbot » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:18 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:

That's why OG is coming back here

ArthurVandelay
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,052

Post#1776 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:02 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

No, that's incorrect. The rule applies to reacquiring a traded player in the same season.

Correct.

July 1st but really 6th calendar resets
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,652

Post#1777 » by mtcan » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:03 pm

OG's defence is obviously elite but he isn't good enough offensively and available enough to warrant making 35-40 million. He is what he is right now. Not getting any better. I'd rather have Mikal Bridges instead...
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#1778 » by ontnut » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:14 pm

Paying the max for a guy that plays 70% of their available games is fine when that guy is Kawhi or Embiid or AD. When it's an elite role player/non-all-star like OG...that's where you run into trouble and potential cap hell.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,348

Post#1779 » by MiamiSPX » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:16 pm

Tacoma wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

Yes NY media is tough but this is OG we're talking about. His personality is kind of like Kawhi in a way, low key, keeps to himself showing little emotion, not caring much about what others outside his circle thinks. NY media won't faze him one bit.

As for possibility of signing with TOR? No way José! He loves it there; his agent Sam Rose is the son of Knicks President Leon Rose so they will surely come to a favorable contract agreement to satisfy OG. He'll be re-signing in NY come hell or high water.

I agree with you that OG likely won't care but the knives will be out when this happens next season. Right now they are still in the honeymoon phase.

There is no possibility of re-signing OG, that is just a fantasy by people who are bored or can't let go. He didn't want to be on the Raptors anymore.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,190

Post#1780 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:18 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:

Correct.

July 1st but really 6th calendar resets

I'd bring him back for 25mil AAV. Anything over 30mil is an overpay.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:

Return to Toronto Raptors