ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors Shopping Brown [Source]

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

manjusaka
Senior
And1: 441

Re: Raptors Shopping Brown [Source] 

Post#181 » by manjusaka » Mon May 20, 2024 4:23 pm

Shopping Brown isn’t a news. Question should be who is interested in Brown.
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,620

Post#182 » by HangTime » Mon May 20, 2024 4:23 pm

This can maybe be the building blocks of a Three team trade:

Raptors get:
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Zeke Nnaji
Reggie Jackson

Ziaire Williams
Brandon Clarke or Luke Kennard
2024 First round pick

Nuggets get:
Derrick Rose
Bruce Brown

Memphis gets:
Jakob Poeltl
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,531

Post#183 » by Spida888 » Mon May 20, 2024 4:31 pm

I would lean no on acquiring MPJ due to his gargantuan contract at ~25% of the cap and past injuries.

I understand why some feel like it's a buy low situation if all it takes is Brown but it will likely put us into the tax while being a play-in team.

Not that I'm high on the other hypothetical trade of Wiggins + Moody for Brown but I would prefer that over this.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,222

Post#184 » by tecumseh18 » Mon May 20, 2024 4:36 pm

Zeno wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
Zeno wrote:But we wouldn’t take that deal on right? Right?

Ofcourse we should, why wouldn't we. That's the type of young breakout player we need, & actually fits.

Well there is his horrible medicals, and recent performance plus being overpaid. And also they possibly he’ll be even worse away from Jokic.

I've previously expressed my opinion on this board that the Raptors are targeting the summer of 2027 for maximum cap space. RJ's and Poeltl's deals expire then, and we wouldn't offer Pascal a deal that extended beyond 2027.

So I's say any deal bringing a wildly overpaid but potentially useful player - along with a prospect or draft capital - is possible, if that player's contract ends in 2027. Wiggins and MPJ both fit that category.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,531

Post#185 » by Spida888 » Mon May 20, 2024 4:39 pm

HangTime wrote:This can maybe be the building blocks of a Three team trade:

Raptors get:
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Zeke Nnaji
Reggie Jackson

Ziaire Williams
2024 First round pick

Nuggets get:
Derrick Rose
Bruce Brown

Memphis gets:
Jakob Poeltl

I don't care for KCP/Jackson/Nnaji, but Clarke/Kennard + Williams + #9 pick for Poeltl is something I would do if it was on the table (unless Poeltl can net a good 2025 pick somewhere).
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 574

Post#186 » by CazOnReal » Mon May 20, 2024 9:53 pm

Raptors get:
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Zeke Nnaji
Reggie Jackson

Ziaire Williams
2024 First round pick

Nuggets get:
Derrick Rose
Bruce Brown

Memphis gets:
Jakob Poeltl

The fact the Nuggets are giving all that up for Bruce Brown should tell you that this isn't remotely realistic, not the least of those reasons being the team lacking depth gets even thinner and KCP - who starts for Denver - is a UFA who doesn't have to agree to a sign and trade.

I do think taking a flier on Ziaire is a more interesting proposal than the oft-suggested Poeltl trades but I repeat: If you trade Jakob Poeltl, you're just going to end up spending 1-3 seasons finding someone to fill in that hole at center.
dkb964
Senior
And1: 330

Post#187 » by dkb964 » Tue May 21, 2024 12:14 am

CazOnReal wrote:

Raptors get:
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Zeke Nnaji
Reggie Jackson

Ziaire Williams
2024 First round pick

Nuggets get:
Derrick Rose
Bruce Brown

Memphis gets:
Jakob Poeltl

The fact the Nuggets are giving all that up for Bruce Brown should tell you that this isn't remotely realistic, not the least of those reasons being the team lacking depth gets even thinner and KCP - who starts for Denver - is a UFA who doesn't have to agree to a sign and trade.

I do think taking a flier on Ziaire is a more interesting proposal than the oft-suggested Poeltl trades but I repeat: If you trade Jakob Poeltl, you're just going to end up spending 1-3 seasons finding someone to fill in that hole at center.

KCP is a free agent.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect

Post#188 » by CazOnReal » Tue May 21, 2024 12:24 am

dkb964 wrote:KCP is a free agent.

Yeah, that's what I said.

Do you not know what a UFA is?
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,825

Post#189 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Tue May 21, 2024 12:25 am

CazOnReal wrote:

For those that do NOT know: UFA=Unrestricted Free Agent.

Cheers!
islandboy53
Rookie
And1: 596

Post#190 » by islandboy53 » Tue May 21, 2024 12:43 am

CazOnReal wrote:

KCP has a player option for next year. He may decline it, and become a free agent, but the odds are high he extends. Denver is NOT trading him.
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,305

Post#191 » by mrdressup » Tue May 21, 2024 12:52 am

Nobody is giving us anything for Brown.
torsport
Assistant Coach
And1: 120

Post#192 » by torsport » Tue May 21, 2024 12:54 am

This feels like a treadmill story.

Going nowhere. I'll believe it (and welcome it) when I see it.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect

Post#193 » by CazOnReal » Tue May 21, 2024 1:44 am

islandboy53 wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:

KCP has a player option for next year. He may decline it, and become a free agent, but the odds are high he extends. Denver is NOT trading him.

Which, again, is what I said.

Whether he stays with Denver or not, KCP is declining his player option, I guarantee you that. Thereby, he is not an option.
kingz3290
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#194 » by kingz3290 » Tue May 21, 2024 1:51 am

they'll trade him for a bag of chips and a 2nd rounder, then boast about the flexibility....$20M is 20M.You know who can use Bruce Brown? Orlando. Charlotte. Memphis. But all of those teams are smart enough not to give us any players with talent in return. Then we'll use the cap space to re-sign players we should let walk for above their market value.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,393

Post#195 » by Zeno » Tue May 21, 2024 4:14 am

tecumseh18 wrote:
Zeno wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
Ofcourse we should, why wouldn't we. That's the type of young breakout player we need, & actually fits.

Well there is his horrible medicals, and recent performance plus being overpaid. And also they possibly he’ll be even worse away from Jokic.

I've previously expressed my opinion on this board that the Raptors are targeting the summer of 2027 for maximum cap space. RJ's and Poeltl's deals expire then, and we wouldn't offer Pascal a deal that extended beyond 2027.

So I's say any deal bringing a wildly overpaid but potentially useful player - along with a prospect or draft capital - is possible, if that player's contract ends in 2027. Wiggins and MPJ both fit that category.

I know most oppose a Wiggins deal but atleast in that scenario, They’d be paying us with Moody or a pick or perhaps both to take him on. But in the case of Porter, the injury and family history just makes it too risky given that the contract is even bigger. On top of that, most seem to think that Denver would want more in the deal than Brown. So really to me, give me Wiggins and stuff for Brown over Porter for Brown straight up.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
TGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 737

Post#196 » by TGM » Tue May 21, 2024 4:27 am

MPJ is not the type of player we need.

Adding MPJ doesn’t move the needle enough for the Raps. If you make a deal the player needs to be more impactful.

Ingram for Brown and Jakob make a lot more sense for us. But even that I wonder if Ingram’s upgrade in offense is worth the drop in defence
Mascot
Lead Assistant
And1: 977

Post#197 » by Mascot » Tue May 21, 2024 8:50 am

just waive this bum
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 44,295

Post#198 » by WuTang_OG » Tue May 21, 2024 6:01 pm

“You’re always looking at ways to get better,” Malone said after Game 7. “And that’s what we’ll do.”

The issue is that Booth has so few levers to pull. Even if the Nuggets get under the second apron, they’ll still feel the restrictions of the first apron. They don’t have cap space. They can only trade firsts in 2024 and 2031. Their young guys didn’t improve enough to have much trade value. Front office executives described Booth’s trade negotiations before the deadline as someone who went shopping but left their wallet at home on purpose. It was also a thin trade market: Would moving a rookie for Kelly Olynyk really have made sense? Odds are they couldn’t have outbid the Raptors for him anyway, or made a better offer than the Suns did for Royce O’Neale. Could trading multiple seconds for Andre Drummond really have moved the needle? Perhaps, if it bought Jokic a few minutes to catch his breath. But there wasn’t much out there.

Moving forward, the Nuggets may need to get creative with trades to solve their problems. One card Booth could play is trading Porter Jr., who is about to enter the third year of a five-year, $179.3 million deal. He’s still only 25 years old and appears to be past his injury concerns after missing only 21 games the past two seasons. And he’s certainly one of the league’s best shooters. But he’s expensive, he doesn’t create his own shot off the dribble, and he’s inconsistent on defense. Maybe it’d make sense for the Nuggets to trade Porter for two players, giving them more depth while retaining shooting prowess. Because for the second consecutive year, MPJ’s production fell off a cliff in the playoffs. Last season, Porter averaged 12.3 points on 11.4 shots per game on just 32.7 percent shooting from 3 over the final three rounds. This year, he was even worse in the second round, averaging 10.7 points on 10 shots on 32.5 percent from 3. Porter was also more productive on defense last year. Porter’s health could still be a red flag to some teams, but his youth, shooting prowess, and theoretical upside in an expanded role makes him Denver’s most valuable expendable asset, its clear out to an expensive roster in need of reinforcements.

The problem with even considering trading MPJ is that the Nuggets have already devalued 3-point shooting as is. Most of their draft picks have been inconsistent or low-volume threats from the perimeter at the collegiate level, which has carried over to the NBA in the case of Braun, Watson, and Strawther. And as a team, the Nuggets ranked dead last in 3-pointers attempted this season. Any acquisitions moving forward need to be able to shoot reliably.

“Conventional wisdom says that best players help the role players, but in reality it’s a two-way street,” Booth told me last summer. “The best role players help the best players out. They make the best players better.”

Ultimately, Jokic found himself overwhelmed by Minnesota. Whether it was Karl-Anthony Towns contesting every move, Rudy Gobert looming nearby, or Naz Reid stepping up when he needed to, Jokic faced relentless pressure from a cadre of long arms. And the lack of sharpshooters around him meant he often faced double-teams, swarmed by the Timberwolves with strategic precision.
will
RealGM
And1: 50,044
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#199 » by will » Tue May 21, 2024 6:10 pm

Mascot wrote:just waive this bum

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
will
RealGM
And1: 50,044
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#200 » by will » Tue May 21, 2024 6:11 pm

Might not be able to polish a turd, but you may be able to put a bit of a buff on a turd.

Return to Toronto Raptors