ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,520

Re: 2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2.0 

Post#1921 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:42 pm

As far as I understand we do have possibly big time cap space this summer.

Would be funny to see Masai throw a 2 year max at a player (OG? :lol:) similar to what Houston did with FVV and Brooks. Get them in our building and figure out the luxury stuff later.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,345

Post#1922 » by ciueli » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:56 pm

We don't have max cap space anymore because we signed Kelly Olynyk to a contract extension. In fact, there's a good chance the front office chooses to operate as an over the cap team, especially if we keep our draft pick in this year's draft which is now obviously the intention given the recent tanking moves.
islandboy53
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#1923 » by islandboy53 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:59 pm

ciueli wrote:We don't have max cap space anymore because we signed Kelly Olynyk to a contract extension. In fact, there's a good chance the front office chooses to operate as an over the cap team, especially if we keep our draft pick in this year's draft which is now obviously the intention given the recent tanking moves.

As of right now, we have a maximum of just under $30 million in potential space, less than $25 million if we keep our pick. Getting to that means letting Trent, Brown and Nwora walk, trading the $13 million NTMLE for the $8 million room exception, and renouncing the $10 million Siakam exception. We have more flexibility and potential to acquire assets operating over the cap than by effectively trading Trent, Brown and Nwora for, who, Malik Monk maybe. It's a better direction for us right now.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#1924 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:47 pm

ciueli wrote:We don't have max cap space anymore because we signed Kelly Olynyk to a contract extension. In fact, there's a good chance the front office chooses to operate as an over the cap team, especially if we keep our draft pick in this year's draft which is now obviously the intention given the recent tanking moves.

Ah right - forgot about the Kelly signing. Thanks
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#1925 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:48 pm

islandboy53 wrote:

As of right now, we have a maximum of just under $30 million in potential space, less than $25 million if we keep our pick. Getting to that means letting Trent, Brown and Nwora walk, trading the $13 million NTMLE for the $8 million room exception, and renouncing the $10 million Siakam exception. We have more flexibility and potential to acquire assets operating over the cap than by effectively trading Trent, Brown and Nwora for, who, Malik Monk maybe. It's a better direction for us right now.

So would you expect us to bring back Brown (or trade him), re-sign Trent, and then do something with the exception?
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,819

Post#1926 » by MessiahUjiri » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:13 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

So would you expect us to bring back Brown (or trade him), re-sign Trent, and then do something with the exception?

We’ll definitely operate above the cap.

IMO the FO is trying to maximize our options by tanking.
If we have 3 picks, we have more options to attach some assets to Brown/Boucher and bring back talent.

If I had to guess, they will likely sign a backup PG for the MLE. And shop for an OG replacement on the trade market.

Trent will come down to purely numbers. They’ll resign him if at a tradeable figure. He will probably want another 2+1 deal to maximize his earnings potential.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,554

Post#1927 » by dagger » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:31 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

A lot of this argument will be determined with where our picks are after the lottery. And then, if we have our own pick, whether Masai wants to use three picks or trade one or two to move up, get a prospect, get a pick in 2025, add a pick to Brown or Boucher to get a better return or even free up more cap space. I'd guess that of we retain our own pick, and it isn't higher than sixth, we will somehow unload the Indiana pick for a current or future benefit, and use the Detroit second, but beyond that there are loads of possibilities.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
billy_hoyle
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#1928 » by billy_hoyle » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:58 pm

dagger wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

A lot of this argument will be determined with where our picks are after the lottery. And then, if we have our own pick, whether Masai wants to use three picks or trade one or two to move up, get a prospect, get a pick in 2025, add a pick to Brown or Boucher to get a better return or even free up more cap space. I'd guess that of we retain our own pick, and it isn't higher than sixth, we will somehow unload the Indiana pick for a current or future benefit, and use the Detroit second, but beyond that there are loads of possibilities.

I wouldn't do that (off load the Pacers pick if we move up).

This is exactly the kind of draft where we are getting two shots at a star by keeping that mid-first pick.

I bet there will be a player available at the Indy pick they would've drafted top 5.
islandboy53
Rookie

Post#1929 » by islandboy53 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:02 pm

MessiahUjiri wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

We’ll definitely operate above the cap.

Exactly right.

IMO the FO is trying to maximize our options by tanking.
If we have 3 picks, we have more options to attach some assets to Brown/Boucher and bring back talent.

Right again. Brown or Boucher plus the Detroit 2nd should get you a solid rotation player, and maybe even a 2025 2nd added in depending on the matching salary have to take back. At the same time, it allows the team to maximize the opportunities for players like Agbaji, Nwora, Porter, Freeman-Liberty, even McDaniels, to see what they have, whether they're worth holding onto, and to perhaps add to their market value.

If I had to guess, they will likely sign a backup PG for the MLE. And shop for an OG replacement on the trade market.

I've been thinking the same thing. Even if we use a pick on a PG, he likely won't be getting into the rotation early in the season. We would benefit from someone like, say, Chris Dunn from Utah. He's 29, but he's always been a defender, and a decent point guard, just couldn't shoot. The shooting finally arrived in his return in the last 2 years, and he should be available for less than the MLE. The OG replacement via Brown/Boucher would be nice, but maybe we get him in the draft?

Trent will come down to purely numbers. They’ll resign him if at a tradeable figure. He will probably want another 2+1 deal to maximize his earnings potential.

The list of teams likely to operate under the cap is small - OKC, Charlotte, San Antonio, Utah and Detroit. Philly could have massive room, but they're only going there if a big fish is available. OKC has lots of shooters, Utah is going to use space to renegotiate and extend Markannen, and the Spurs are likely looking for a PG. Detroit will be looking for bigger names, I expect, though they could get desperate to spend their money, and the Hornets need more than Trent, but they're a possibility. Honestly, a team like Orlando, that has lots of guards, but needs shooting could be very interested in him. Like the Raps, they could go the cap space route, but are unlikely to give up the flexibilty, and assets, like Fulz, to do so. There is definitely a sign and trade scenario possible there. All that said, if the offers aren't there, you sign him to 1+1 at the MLE-ish, and go from there.
billy_hoyle
Starter

Post#1930 » by billy_hoyle » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:59 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

I'd prefer to let those guys walk... Throw the money at Patrick Williams ~$25m. Then use the room exception to sign Nwora.

Basically trading Brown and GTJ for Pat Will. That seems like a no brainer to me.

I'd also attach Brown with our pick to move up if the other team had the room to absorb.

If Chicago matches on PW, I'd shift my attention to Jalen Smith, Melton and Saddiq Bey, all of which are better bets to be worth their contracts compared to Brown and GTJ. They'd also provide some salary ballast in the event we need to amalgamate contracts together for a star.

To me, that's clearly the better option. I'm not sure why people want to bring back inferior players that don't meet our team needs just to safely maintain some fringe assets. Think bigger people. This is our opportunity to steal away some high upside talent. This year or never (with max Barnes).
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,951

Post#1931 » by deeps6x » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:29 pm

billy_hoyle wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

I'd prefer to let those guys walk... Throw the money at Patrick Williams ~$25m. Then use the room exception to sign Nwora.

Basically trading Brown and GTJ for Pat Will. That seems like a no brainer to me.

I'd also attach Brown with our pick to move up if the other team had the room to absorb.

If Chicago matches on PW, I'd shift my attention to Jalen Smith, Melton and Saddiq Bey, all of which are better bets to be worth their contracts compared to Brown and GTJ. They'd also provide some salary ballast in the event we need to amalgamate contracts together for a star.

To me, that's clearly the better option. I'm not sure why people want to bring back inferior players that don't meet our team needs just to safely maintain some fringe assets. Think bigger people. This is our opportunity to steal away some high upside talent. This year or never (with max Barnes).

I don't know why you want to throw big money at Pat Will all the time, when you can probably steal Jalen Smith for half as much, and get the better player.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
islandboy53
Rookie

Post#1932 » by islandboy53 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:35 pm

billy_hoyle wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

You may have noticed that free agency, especially for the more desirable players, happens FAST. With Williams, or any RFA, the player's current team has 2 days to decide whether to match. While you're waiting patiently, with all of your cap space tied up in the offer sheet to Williams, for Chicago to match the offer - and they will - most of those other "marquee" players you're talking about will be gone, leaving you some bargain bin opportunities if you're lucky. It's also worth pointing out that Brown and/or Trent or whatever matching salary might come back in a trade can also be used as salary ballast in a future trade. Also, if you want to keep Nwora, keep his cap hold on the books - it's only $3.75 million per Spotrac - then sign him using his bird rights.

I'm unclear what "fringe assets" you think people want to maintain, or what "inferior players that don't meet our team needs" you believe people want to bring back to do so. Perhaps you could clarify. Also, how do you picture us "stealing away" all of this high upside talent, whatever that is?
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#1933 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:49 pm

islandboy53 wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:So would you expect us to bring back Brown (or trade him), re-sign Trent, and then do something with the exception?

You may have noticed that free agency, especially for the more desirable players, happens FAST. With Williams, or any RFA, the player's current team has 2 days to decide whether to match. While you're waiting patiently, with all of your cap space tied up in the offer sheet to Williams, for Chicago to match the offer - and they will - most of those other "marquee" players you're talking about will be gone, leaving you some bargain bin opportunities if you're lucky. It's also worth pointing out that Brown and/or Trent or whatever matching salary might come back in a trade can also be used as salary ballast in a future trade. Also, if you want to keep Nwora, keep his cap hold on the books - it's only $3.75 million per Spotrac - then sign him using his bird rights.

I'm unclear what "fringe assets" you think people want to maintain, or what "inferior players that don't meet our team needs" you believe people want to bring back to do so. Perhaps you could clarify. Also, how do you picture us "stealing away" all of this high upside talent, whatever that is?

Ya I gotta say I dont view Pat Will as superior than GTJ + Brown at all.
billy_hoyle
Starter

Post#1934 » by billy_hoyle » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:03 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:

Fringe asset = GTJ at $18m
Fringe asset = Bruce Brown at $23m

Players types we have:
Barrett age 23, position SG/SF
Barnes age 22, position SF/PF
Dick age 20, position SG/SF
Ochai age 23, position SG/SF

That's three guys that are primary 2s with the ability to play the 3 and Barnes who can toggle equally between the 3 and 4.

Why are we spending money on a pure 2 like GTJ? We should be redistributing his salary to a forward.

I'm well aware of the two day holding pattern for RFAs.
Still worth it.

My money is on Patrick Williams, Jalen Smith, De'Anthony Melton being superior players going forward as compared to GTJ and Bruce Brown. Not to mention the positional advantage the previous group have over the incumbents (i.e. we need 3s, 4/5s, & combos over 2s and whatever Bruce Brown is).

If you guys don't like Pat Will, that's fine. You can have that opinion.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,980

Post#1935 » by OAKLEY_2 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:02 am

Isaac Okoro age 23 ufa. Talen Horton Tucker age 23 ufa. Jalen Smith age 23.

vs. Gary, Nwora, Brown

Renouncing might sense.
ArthurVandelay
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,087

Post#1936 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:11 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:Isaac Okoro age 23 ufa. Talen Horton Tucker age 23 ufa. Jalen Smith age 23.

vs. Gary, Nwora, Brown

Renouncing might sense.

Okoro is a RFA.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#1937 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:19 pm

billy_hoyle wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

Players types we have:

That's three guys that are primary 2s with the ability to play the 3 and Barnes who can toggle equally between the 3 and 4.

Why are we spending money on a pure 2 like GTJ? We should be redistributing his salary to a forward.

Still worth it.

My money is on Patrick Williams, Jalen Smith, De'Anthony Melton being superior players going forward as compared to GTJ and Bruce Brown. Not to mention the positional advantage the previous group have over the incumbents (i.e. we need 3s, 4/5s, & combos over 2s and whatever Bruce Brown is).

I’m taking talent > fit at this point. GTJ/Brown both are better talents than Pat Will is IMO.

Pat Will is also a huge unknown that Chicago could match and we end up with nothing.

I’d rather bring back GTJ and Brown and then make trades later. Not lose assets to an already shallow team for a “maybe” with Williams
ArthurVandelay
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,087

Post#1938 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:23 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Ya I gotta say I dont view Pat Will as superior than GTJ + Brown at all.

Players types we have:

Still worth it.

I’m taking talent > fit at this point. GTJ/Brown both are better talents than Pat Will is IMO.

Pat Will is also a huge unknown that Chicago could match and we end up with nothing.

I’d rather bring back GTJ and Brown and then make trades later. Not lose assets to an already shallow team for a “maybe” with Williams

I have serious doubts about Williams.

Only thing with Brown and GTJr is how much trade value do they actually have? I'm guessing very little without taking back bad contract.
islandboy53
Rookie

Post#1939 » by islandboy53 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:30 pm

billy_hoyle wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

Malachi Flynn is a fringe asset, so are Kira Lewis and Dalano Banton. Trent and Brown are rotation players on most teams in the league. Importantly, most of us are not advocating that we keep them. In fact, most of us have been saying we need to move them, for assets in Brown's case, and for assets or salary flexibilty in Trent's case.

Players types we have:

Again, the consensus is that we should move on from Trent.

Still worth it.

So, you make a play for your number 1 free agent target, an RFA, knowing the odds of getting him are effectively zero, and also knowing that while that process plays out, most if not all of your remaining high priority targets will be signed elsewhere. I don't understand how you think this would be a good free agency strategy. If you really believe there's a chance that Chicago is prepared to let Williams go, why not try a sign and trade? Brown could be the primary matching salary, and Chicago might actually want him. But, how much do you want to attach by way of draft assets to get him that way?

Williams is a good, potentially very good, young player. The issue for me is his injury history. In a vacuum, trading let's say Brown and the Indiana 26 first is probably a gamble worth taking, but I don't believe we're at the stage in our rebuild to give away draft assets to make that kind of move, and take that kind of risk. We need to be a little more conservative, and accumulate assets and talents incrementally. As for Smith and Melton, either could be available for the NTMLE, but, whatever their merits, Melton is a small SG, which you've indicated we don't need, and Smith is primarily a centre, though he could fill the backup PF role, and depth at C.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#1940 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:35 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:

Players types we have:

Still worth it.

I have serious doubts about Williams.

Only thing with Brown and GTJr is how much trade value do they actually have? I'm guessing very little without taking back bad contract.

How much value does Pat Will have at 25M a year? My guess is that is negative value. That is more money than anyone on our team currently.

GTJ + Brown are legit rotation players in the NBA and on actual contenders they can be 6th/7th men.

Pat Will right now is OG with worse offense, and worse defense, and we want to give him 25M? Why not just give OG, the superior version, 35M?

Return to Toronto Raptors