ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread *UPDATES*

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#21 » by nabbs » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:12 am

Kurtz wrote:Indiana board is open to the idea of Oladipo for FVV. Fred fits better with Brogdon than he does with Kyle, and Victor fits better here imo as a shot creator and possible 1a/b option (if he recovers...if he doesn't recover he's off the books). I'd love that option.

The other move imo is moving Norm for a 1st or a good prospect and opening up playing time for Davis and Thomas.

Finally we have an interesting choice at C. We can punt on the decision and sign Gasol and Serge for 1 year and then slowly work in Hernandez and Boucher...or we pick up someone on the free agent market like Aron Baynes. Or maybe we end up drafting a C with our 1st. Lots of possibilities there.

Dewan isn't ready tbh. We will have holes at the 5 and 4, as well as a lack of playmaking off the bench. It's going to be really tough.

I listed my centre options and Baynes is definitely up there. I'd love to take a flier on Harry Giles as well. Gives us passing and defensive upside.

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Boardbreaker
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,928

Post#22 » by Boardbreaker » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:15 am

We need an athletic scoring wing badly.
Jayt99
Rookie
And1: 1,552

Post#23 » by Jayt99 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:10 am

Need a player that create his own shot. Is good in mid-range and post-ups while being adequate defensively
h4rrison
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,104

Re: Official Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#24 » by h4rrison » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:22 am

dgr81 wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:Half our team will be different next season. Guys like RHJ, Gasol, Ibaka, FVV are likely gone. Then you have guys like Johnson, Mccaw, etc that can be easily traded.

I say we resign Ibaka and FVV if we can get a good deal for him.

Serge will be back on a one year deal. Don't really see anyone else paying him.

Marc is done.

I think if the raps are not in contention by the trade deadline next year, you trade kyle to a contender.

You’re vastly underrating Serge. Did you see how well he shot from 3 this postseason? He is the quintessential 3&D center. I see many teams who can use him. To resign him we’ll need to offer +15M for multiple years.
_MidNight_
RealGM
And1: 7,305

Post#25 » by _MidNight_ » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:25 am

Boardbreaker wrote:We need an athletic scoring wing badly.

I've been saying this for years now. Boston has 3 of these guys in Gordon, Tatum and Brown, yet we have none!

We need a 6'7-6'9 guy that scores and create in the worst way. Every good playoff team usually have one. Look what happened when we finally got one last year.
Mattatron
Starter
And1: 1,683

Re: Official Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#26 » by Mattatron » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:45 am

dgr81 wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:Half our team will be different next season. Guys like RHJ, Gasol, Ibaka, FVV are likely gone. Then you have guys like Johnson, Mccaw, etc that can be easily traded.

I say we resign Ibaka and FVV if we can get a good deal for him.

Serge will be back on a one year deal. Don't really see anyone else paying him.

Marc is done.

I think if the raps are not in contention by the trade deadline next year, you trade kyle to a contender.

no you don't trade lowry till we see how summer 2021 works out for us.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,922

Post#27 » by OakleyDokely » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

A lot of people might not like it, but it think you will see largely the same core next year. And that's not the worst thing that can happen because winning 50+ games and getting to the 2nd round again shows Giannis and other top free agents that you're one player away from winning titles. Star plays want to join a team that's ready to win right away.

I think Masai will re-sign VV long term, but his other moves will be made with 2021 in mind. I think he will target players that are only 1 year commitments.

Masai is armed with some cheap young assets, quality vets and all his draft picks so he has the flexibility to make some deals that move the needle.

I like the Oladipo suggestion. He's only a one year commitment and he'd improve many of the Raps weaknesses. Jrue is another player who might be available that fits what the Raps like to do.
kilpin
Sophomore
And1: 90

Post#28 » by kilpin » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:23 pm

Anyone willing to detail to all non experts all the aspects of our cap situation?
Would it be feasible to resign both FVV and Ibaka or Gasol? At what price? What would be the impact on our ability to sign Giannis in 2021? How much cap space would we have left?
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#29 » by OakleyDokely » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:44 pm

If you assume Siakam/OG/VV are long term starters, which I think is a safe assumption, the long term plan has to address the C and guard spots.

Need to find a scoring guard who can play off the ball. VV can handle the ball, hit 3s and defend but he shouldn't have as high an offensive usage as he currently has. He should be a 3rd or 4th option on offense at best, not a focal point.

At C, you want to target a rim protector who can stretch the floor. That's what everyone is looking for in the modern NBA, these two qualities are so important.
kilpin
Sophomore

Post#30 » by kilpin » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:47 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:If you assume Siakam/OG/VV are long term starters, which I think is a safe assumption, the long term plan has to address the C and guard spots.

Need to find a scoring guard who can play off the ball. VV can handle the ball, hit 3s and defend but he shouldn't have as high an offensive usage as he currently has. He should be a 3rd or 4th option on offense at best, not a focal point.

At C, you want to target a rim protector who can stretch the floor. That's what everyone is looking for in the modern NBA, these two qualities are so important.

Isn't that Ibaka?
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#31 » by OakleyDokely » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:53 pm

kilpin wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:If you assume Siakam/OG/VV are long term starters, which I think is a safe assumption, the long term plan has to address the C and guard spots.

Isn't that Ibaka?
Ya, but he's aging and he will want a long term deal that would effect our 2021 cap space.
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,452

Post#32 » by Morse Code » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:04 pm

Some of you are looking at this backwards, and putting the chicken before the egg. Step 1, what can we do to get a star? The rest of the roster comes afterwards. We can find another FVV or another Ibaka or whoever. Focus on getting a star. We have good assets.
nabbs
RealGM

Post#33 » by nabbs » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:10 pm

Brogdon got 4 yrs/85 million so I'll assume Fred gets the same number.

Paul Watson and Oshae Brissett likely get converted to full time

I am assuming Marc and Ibaka are gone just given their market.

Kyle/TD
Fred/Powell/Mccaw/Thomas
OG/Watson/Johnson
Pascal/Brissett
???/Hernandez

That's 12 players, so including 2 way guys, we have 5 roster spots to fill. We have our 29th, 59th, the MLE and vet min to round out the remaining guys.

I would try to move Mccaw and Powell + pick to acquire a big from someone or try to move up on the draft. I don't know who we end up drafting to be honest. We need half court playmaking.

I like the gambles on Jaden McDaniels so i'll use him as a proxy at 29. I am going to ignore 59

The MLE should be used on Aron Baynes

The vet min should go to Harry Giles. Good passer, budding mid range game, good defender.

The remaining 2 spots go to the two way guys

Kyle/TD/Mccaw
Fred/Powell/Thomas
OG/Watson/Johnson
Pascal/Jaden McDaniels/Brissett
Baynes/Giles/Hernandez

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
nabbs
RealGM

Post#34 » by nabbs » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:37 pm

Charlotte, Indy, Toronto 3 way

Hornets receive Myles Turner and Dewan Hernandez

Indiana receives Terry Rozier, Norman Powell, Mccaw, Raps 29th pick

Toronto receives Oladipo

TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,767

Post#35 » by TrustFundBaby » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:04 pm

Do a soft tank

Let Ibaka, Gasol, FVV walk. Sign some end of bench pieces like RHJ for depth

I would take on the Oladipo gamble, provided that his cap hold or whatever we sign him to doesn't impact Giannis. We absolutely need a shot creator to pair with Giannis. I doubt IND goes for Powell+Pick though

Lowry
TD/Thomas
OG/Powell
Pascal/RHJ
Boucher/Hernandez

This roster is probably a 7-8 seed behind MIA BOS BKN IND MIL PHI.

Should be a strictly developmental year for players like Pascal, OG, TD2, whoever we draft this year. Realistically we aren't getting out the second round with this core as is, so no point in getting vets.

Bank on Giannis coming to play with the African connection

After that, back to contender status. It's just one year in the dumps tbh
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,611

Post#36 » by StopitLeo » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:06 pm

Even for those who believed in this team from the start of the season there were questions about how Toronto would fare in the playoffs without a closer.

This concern was borne out during the Celtics series and was particularly evident last night in the 4th quarter; Toronto simply did not have someone they could count on to get their own shot or draw multiple defenders to get a good shot for a teammate.

Can Pascal develop the skills and mindset to be a closer? I think the potential is there but the need for a closer needs to be kept in mind as this roster is shaped in the coming years. For what it's worth, I don't think Giannis is a closer either - at least not yet.
tanuki1031
Starter
And1: 3,359

Post#37 » by tanuki1031 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:06 pm

nabbs wrote:Charlotte, Indy, Toronto 3 way

Toronto receives Oladipo

Sign me up for OG/Oladipo vs. other wings in the league, especially if they're not tasked with being the 1st and 2nd options on offense. Oladipo + Raptors defense schemes? LOL!
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,214

Post#38 » by DelAbbot » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:24 am

In what world is Terry Rozier worth Myles Turner?

If Myles Turner were available (he is on a cheap contract), we would trade for him before Dipo.

Toronto receives Oladipo
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#39 » by Rapsfan07 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:11 pm

DelAbbot wrote:In what world is Terry Rozier worth Myles Turner?

If Myles Turner were available (he is on a cheap contract), we would trade for him before Dipo.

Toronto receives Oladipo

Yeah no way on earth you're gonna get Turner for Rozier.

I know a lot of people have their issues with Turner but I think he's one of the most valuable Cs in the league. He can shoot the 3, defend, block shots and rebound. Plus he's 24 and locked into only $18M for the next 3 years. If I had to choose between Oladipo and Turner, as much as I like them both, I'd take Turner.
kilpin
Sophomore

Post#40 » by kilpin » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:13 pm

Just a thought. Is there a realistic way We could front load a contract for Ibaka (maybe harder for Fred). I would have zero problems paying him much next year, but I would not want to overpay him from 2021 on. is it something feasible? Has it ever been Done?

Return to Toronto Raptors