ImageImageImageImageImage

The Raptors Have Lost Toronto

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Re: The Raptors Have Lost Toronto 

Post#21 » by Danny1616 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:53 pm

Another weird Winnie the Pooh post.

Raptors are huge in the GTA and easily the most popular sport among the under 40 crowd.

The GTA has a huge and expanding immigrant/minority population since the 1990s that aren't puck heads, with a huge proportion becoming Raptor fans.

Only when you leave the GTA and go to places like Kitchener, Barrie, Oshawa etc. which are more homogenous communities do you it being mostly hockey.
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#22 » by PerfectJab » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:54 pm

What a melodramatic post using different sports with different CBAs and different issues as a means to reiterate the same argument that is being posted again and again on this board.

To tank or not to tank.

Confirmation bias at its finest.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#23 » by Pooh_Jeter » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:56 pm

PRESTIGE wrote:Raptors just won the championship a couple of seasons ago.We’ve been a winning team for nearly a decade. Contrast that with the Jays championships decades back that the younger generation no longer remembers, or the leafs last championship in prehistoric times that only senior citizens witnessed.

Even if this is the end of an era, the Raptors remain the most successful team in recent memory.

The thing is, the Leafs have been mostly bad for essentially decades now and there has been little to no erosion in terms of fan support. As much as their first round exits have been a laughing stock, they ignite the city when they are even remotely good.

The Blue Jays have seen a dip in fan support no doubt, but I think Canada wide they have quite a following still and we saw that the moment they became relevant again the fan support sky rocketed.

No doubt the Raptors have been very successful, but they don't have the built in fan base those other two teams have. They NEED that star power and success to be at the top of the food chain. Being ehhh just doesn't cut it.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,202

Post#24 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:57 pm

Some people lives must be like tasting ashes 24/7.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,784

Post#25 » by Badonkadonk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:57 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:You look now and without a doubt the Raptors are at the bottom of the list in terms of sports excitement. The Leafs have had their struggles, but have a star core and have made a fundamental shift towards contention and are playing at home in Toronto in the North division which is going to do massive numbers across Canada.

Seems like an odd thing to post in a hoops forum? Speak for yourself, I totally forgot the NHL was starting today. TFC is cool, but they're not the Raps. And lol @ the Jays, I'll always have my eyebrow raised at them as long as Rogers owns the team directly, it's literally the only Toronto sports property that is allergic to spending even up to its league's tax threshold.

Raps over everything.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,408

Post#26 » by Tor_Raps » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:57 pm

blastttOFF wrote:Yeah it’s more exciting than Blue Jays headlines of ‘being interested’ in players like Springer, Lindor and Kris Bryant while ending up that their biggest move is to extend Shapiro by 5 more years.

I have been checking every damn day for the Jays to announce something. Not only were they getting all those headlines, our own management was talking like it was a certainty we were doing big things. Lots of free agents on the board still so let's see how it goes lol.
Jetfire
Ballboy
And1: 34

Post#27 » by Jetfire » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:00 am

what's the opposite of an and1 on this forum? I want to give that to the OP.

Pure D'Italgarbagio...
RealGM
And1: 66,561

Post#28 » by 720 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:08 am

Hockey and the leafs have always been number 1 in Ontario and Canada. Ratings prove it. Let’s not confuse our niche bubble in the gta to the rest of Canada.
Valard
Sixth Man
And1: 2,902

Post#29 » by Valard » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:11 am

Mr. Jeter, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,784

Post#30 » by Badonkadonk » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:12 am

720 wrote:Hockey and the leafs have always been number 1 in Ontario and Canada. Ratings prove it. Let’s not confuse our niche bubble in the gta to the rest of Canada.

Sure, you can argue that, but by that logic the Raps never had Toronto in the first place.

The OP is suggesting there's been some shift in the general popularity or following of the team, I see no evidence of that and it's a take that'll definitely be met with skepticism here lol
rocky_da_best
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,869

Post#31 » by rocky_da_best » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:21 am

You had me in the first half but then inexplicably decided to mention TFC as if they are at all relevant in the discussion. A TFC team no less that has just lost their winningest manager and boasts a team who's most pivotal player is over the hill and on his last legs (Michael Bradley).
Danny1616
General Manager

Post#32 » by Danny1616 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:22 am

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
PRESTIGE wrote:Raptors just won the championship a couple of seasons ago.We’ve been a winning team for nearly a decade. Contrast that with the Jays championships decades back that the younger generation no longer remembers, or the leafs last championship in prehistoric times that only senior citizens witnessed.

Even if this is the end of an era, the Raptors remain the most successful team in recent memory.

The thing is, the Leafs have been mostly bad for essentially decades now and there has been little to no erosion in terms of fan support. As much as their first round exits have been a laughing stock, they ignite the city when they are even remotely good.

The Blue Jays have seen a dip in fan support no doubt, but I think Canada wide they have quite a following still and we saw that the moment they became relevant again the fan support sky rocketed.

No doubt the Raptors have been very successful, but they don't have the built in fan base those other two teams have. They NEED that star power and success to be at the top of the food chain. Being ehhh just doesn't cut it.

Raptors were still one of the top teams in attendance even in the Bargnani era.

Raptors fan base is huge and secure around the GTA.

Immigrants, minorities and young people easily prefer the Raptors over the Leafs.

You clearly don't live in the GTA.

All you have to do is look at the explosion of basketball talent and youth basketball programs over the past decade. The GTA has built a powerhouse basketball program that rivals some of the best cities in America. You see homegrown talent entering the NBA draft nearly every year.
Danny1616
General Manager

Post#33 » by Danny1616 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:25 am

720 wrote:Hockey and the leafs have always been number 1 in Ontario and Canada. Ratings prove it. Let’s not confuse our niche bubble in the gta to the rest of Canada.

His argument is that the Raptors have lost Toronto, not Canada.

I think generally everyone agrees that outside of the GTA, hockey reigns supreme. But in the GTA (the most dense and highly populated area in the country) basketball is just as, if not more, popular than hockey.
Coco Costanza
Analyst
And1: 6,023

Post#34 » by Coco Costanza » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:30 am

Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

In the words of Charles Barkley: I Guar-RUN-tee.

You are all welcome to sig me.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,722

Post#35 » by Clay Davis » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:33 am

I mean you could say that other teams have brighter futures rn and not be wrong, but plebs are still high off the championship. Takes people longer than you think to flip a switch.

That being said, this will always be a hockey city. Always.
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,846

Post#36 » by Basketball_Jones » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:33 am

Inevitable wrote:Interesting take from someone who lives in BC.

Lol I was there back in the summer. Definitely seems like a hockey town
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Reverend X
Freshman
And1: 103

Post#37 » by Reverend X » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:35 am

NBJ13 wrote:Interesting take that i don't agree with at all

He put a lot of effort typing it up. So it’s not a bad report for an amateur reporter. But next time can use more logic and makes more sense
right between the eyes
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,538

Post#38 » by right between the eyes » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:39 am

Pooh Jeter has lost realgm
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,359

Post#39 » by douggood » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:39 am

wrong, just wrong.
FreshyFlames
Rookie
And1: 1,044

Post#40 » by FreshyFlames » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:39 am

Nice try puck head. Wake me up when the Leafs win something.
Raps in 6ix

Return to Toronto Raptors