ImageImageImageImageImage

J Givony scouts Ettore Messina for us

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Supercollider
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Re: J Givony scouts Ettore Messina for us 

Post#21 » by Supercollider » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:16 am

Bankai wrote:Messina is an excellent choice.

Why? Because he demands excellence? You don't think every coach demands excellence? The question/problem is how do you achieve that result? I don't know why you (and others) believe a coach with no NBA experience will be successful dealing with NBA players, teams, coaches, culture, etc.

Or put another way, why you believe Ettore Messina will be more successful coaching the Raptors than some of the NBA coaches that may be available when the time comes.
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,209

Post#22 » by JYD » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:16 am

He is a damn good coach, there is no issue with his capability. The only concern is with how he deals with NBA egos, but I don't think he's an unfair coach, or an alienating one. His coaching ability alone will bring a lot of players on his side, and like Givony points out, his criticism is both professional and balanced with praise for his players. Keep in mind these professional Euro players make a lot of coin too, and also have egos, but he gets them to leave it on the floor for him, and our roster isn't heavy on ego to begin with.

Winning makes everything ok...if he does come to the NBA (here I hope), and he can walk softly enough to get the players' ears, I think it'll all be downhill from there, because it's hard to argue with a guy when you know he knows what he's doing.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#23 » by 5DOM » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:16 am

Hendrix wrote:Thread with a lot of info on Messina.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=858176

thx Hendrix, greatly appreciated.

i want MESSINAAA
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#24 » by Southward1 » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:16 am

Bring him in, if there's something this team needs it's a powerfreak, nitpicking, attention detail coach. A dictator of a coach who want take it from his players. I like what I read about him.
b0na f1de
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#25 » by b0na f1de » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:17 am

sounds as perfect as iavaroni back in 06-07.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,982

Post#26 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:20 am

b0na f1de wrote:sounds as perfect as iavaroni back in 06-07.

He sounds, and is, a hell of a lot better.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Supercollider
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#27 » by Supercollider » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:22 am

We'll see, if/when he comes over to the NBA.

Understand, I'm not questioning his knowledge/experience, his credentials coaching in Europe, or his ability to coach European players.

However, when talking about his ability to acclimate himself to the culture of the NBA? His ability to coach NBA players, to convey his knowledge to them, to communicate? To not only demand excellence but actually be able to extract said excellence from them?

IMO none of these are givens and shouldn't be considered as such.
miruss2001
Lead Assistant
And1: 335

Post#28 » by miruss2001 » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:25 am

He'd provide what this team has always sorely lacked- the discipline affored by a system.
18 Parkerville
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#29 » by 18 Parkerville » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:26 am

That article made the guy sound flawless. Of course, based on that sort of spin, we're going to resoundingly say "yes."

I'm still pulling for JVG, but a guy like Messina and his X's and O's would make one hell of an assistant.
Jose "Hammy" Calderon - where Gatorade at the half clouding rational judgment happens, and where "hamstring" injuries linger all season long.
b0na f1de
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#30 » by b0na f1de » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:27 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
b0na f1de wrote:sounds as perfect as iavaroni back in 06-07.

He sounds, and is, a hell of a lot better.

which aspects specifically? I don't know that's why I'm asking.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#31 » by J Dilla » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:28 am

His style will work in Europe, but maybe not in the NBA. We can't afford maybes anymore. The NBA is a completely different game, and the Raptors need a coach who's been in the NBA and knows the NBA game.

Oh and BTW, I can see these Messina threads coming everyday, just like those Iavaroni ones.
raptorforlife88
Veteran
And1: 952

Post#32 » by raptorforlife88 » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:32 am

J Dilla wrote:His style will work in Europe, but maybe not in the NBA. We can't afford maybes anymore. The NBA is a completely different game, and the Raptors need a coach who's been in the NBA and knows the NBA game.

Oh and BTW, I can see these Messina threads coming everyday, just like those Iavaroni ones.

I'm not sure but I think he learned a lot of his coaching from Dean Smith, so he knows his ball.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,550

Post#33 » by dagger » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:33 am

J Dilla wrote:His style will work in Europe, but maybe not in the NBA. We can't afford maybes anymore. The NBA is a completely different game, and the Raptors need a coach who's been in the NBA and knows the NBA game.

Any coach is a "maybe". Many NBA coaches are hired and fired multiple times. Don't compare Iavaroni to Messina. Iavaroni was an assistant under d'Antoni. Messina has multiple Euroleague and national championships, and has a more "mature" bearing. Messina can give most NBA coaches a coaching clinic. The question of adjusting to an 82 game schedule, more travel, less practice time, and the egos of NBA players is a question, but how well did Larry Brown do at his last couple of stops with the egos of NBA players?
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#34 » by Hendrix » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:36 am

There's no question in my mind if he can coach succesfully here froma knowledge standpoint. He's one of the best basketball minds in the game. He's worked with the Cavs, coached in the States in college ball. The only question is if the players will respond to his personality, and if he can adapt it to gain their respect.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
halfcourt
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#35 » by halfcourt » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:36 am

some of his notes from a coaching clinic with CANADA basketball

http://www.basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.p ... 10&id=2455
Test of Wills
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#36 » by Test of Wills » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:40 am

Thanks Halfcourt!

Greatly appreciated, he seems like a great fit for this team. But I'm unsure if he's able to adjust to the NBA.
Viperstrike
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#37 » by Viperstrike » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:41 am

he sounds like a great fit for the Raptors.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by 5DOM » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:42 am

btw how is his english?
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,982

Post#39 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:43 am

5DOM wrote:btw how is his english?

Fluent. His coaching clinics in Canada for example are all in English. He was also an assistant for 10 years under Dean Smith I believe.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by 5DOM » Thu Dec 4, 2008 12:46 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
5DOM wrote:btw how is his english?

Fluent. His coaching clinics in Canada for example are all in English. He was also an assistant for 10 years under Dean Smith I believe.

thx. just saw one of his interviews:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEaSKjTP-7k

and fluent it is!

Return to Toronto Raptors