ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - How would you improve ASW?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Re: OT - How would you improve ASW? 

Post#21 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:35 pm

Make it a bit more competitive though...Reality Show style!!

Host an open 2 on 2 (1 guard, 1 forward per team) for all NBDL players not under a real NBA contract. NBA head office (with sponsoring from the event of course) would pay for both of the winners, a guaranteed NBA league minimum contract.

NBA teams with less than 15 players on their roster (or injury exemption) could put their names in a draw to aquire said player without that contract counting against their cap for the remainder of the season.

NBA teams could only throw their team name in to aquire 1 of the 2.

Tell me those guys wouldn't be playing at full tilt trying to win.
nbajam
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#22 » by nbajam » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:37 pm

T0R0NT0_RAPT0RS wrote:2-on-2 is boring... 3-on-3 is the way to go!... NBA JAM STYLE!!!

Haha...stole my thunder
nbajam
Sophomore

Post#23 » by nbajam » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:43 pm

Winning conference gets home court for the NBA finals. The majority of players in the game are on teams that have a realistic shot at the championship, and unlike MLB, home court is HUGE in the NBA. I think the team with the best record in the league may not be the best team in the league. They've played a different schedule, and there's no other real way of determining who is deserving. Everyone's always concerned about the lack of intensity of this showcase game, so why not try it out I say.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,252

Post#24 » by LLJ » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:47 pm

They should have fans play in pickup games vs some of the stars.

In fact, they should have 5 fans play against 5 NBA stars. Maybe we can get some 100-0 scores!

LOL Rinse. Is that pic for real? DId that...uh...woman(?) really pick elephant?
Kakapato
Bench Warmer
And1: 20

Post#25 » by Kakapato » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:08 pm

All Americans vs All Internationals.

Give them something to play for... 8-)
ebrian
Junior
And1: 32

Post#26 » by ebrian » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:18 pm

How about if players voted on who should be on the all-star team, and then the fans got to decide who gets to start?

-Slam dunk remains, make it 8 players instead of 4. Make it less structured, let guys do whatever they want. There shouldn't be a criteria like teammate involved or what.
-3 point shooting remains. Totals should be cumulative through the rounds. If someone nails 25 points in the first round and only scores 15 the next round, he should still be in it if the other guy does 15 and 16. I don't remember if they have this already, but I thought the homerun contest in MLB ended pretty badly because of this rule.
-No more WNBA involvement. Let them have their own festivities. I'm sorry but 90% NBA fans couldn't care less about the WNBA. Don't jam it down our throats please.

Additions:
-Add a dance contest to get the various team cheerleaders involved. Bring it on!
-I'd like to see a challenge type game where a player attempts a crazy shot and another guy has to do it. Maybe find fans who can do amazing shots. I know they've had youtubes of these things and they were quite popular.
~ TeRRoR SquaD ~
Sixth Man
And1: 67

Post#27 » by ~ TeRRoR SquaD ~ » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:18 pm

2 on 2 is a good idea but to 21? upto like 3 to make it interesting (3 pointers count as 1 point)
Maritimer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 78

Post#28 » by Maritimer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:24 pm

Games to 11 with 1 & 2 point shots is what I'm used to, and it's a reasonable length. 21 with 2s and 3s would take about the same amount of time. You'd have three rounds and you could split up the evening like this:

Round 1
3 point shooting
Round 2 (semis)
Dunk contest
Round 3 (finals)

I would watch that from beginning to end.
On LeBron not committing fouls:
Marvin! wrote:He also doesn't poo... his body transforms food into flower seeds, which he then sends to poor inner city neighborhoods and distributes free of charge. Let us all give thanks and praise him!
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,304

Post#29 » by ruckus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:51 pm

Don't get me wrong, I think 2-on-2 or 3-on-3 would be a great idea but, wouldn't the injury risk for that be huge?

They should expand the shooting stars competition so it isn't limited to only cities with WNBA teams. They should have like a "family" team - AP, Candace Parker and Sheldon Williams or Shawn Kemp, and any of his children from the NBA and WNBA.

I always liked the idea of having HORSE. Sheed would win that one easily.

They should simplify the dunk contest - 8 competitors - 1 dunk each - 4 highest scores move on. Next round - they get 2 dunks each - 2 highest scores move on. Last round - 3 dunks each - winner takes all. Plus, they need to up the stakes to get the bigger name players in it.

The 3-pt contest is fine the way it is.
truth serum
Banned User
And1: 35

Post#30 » by truth serum » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:11 pm

I would put David Lee in the All-Star game over Chris Bosh.
Maritimer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Maritimer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:13 pm

Wah, wah, wah. Go cry somewhere else.
Marvin! wrote:He also doesn't poo... his body transforms food into flower seeds, which he then sends to poor inner city neighborhoods and distributes free of charge. Let us all give thanks and praise him!
hermster12
Senior
And1: 3

Post#32 » by hermster12 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:14 pm

nbajam wrote:Winning conference gets home court for the NBA finals. The majority of players in the game are on teams that have a realistic shot at the championship, and unlike MLB, home court is HUGE in the NBA. I think the team with the best record in the league may not be the best team in the league. They've played a different schedule, and there's no other real way of determining who is deserving. Everyone's always concerned about the lack of intensity of this showcase game, so why not try it out I say.

Umm....huh? With home field advantage in baseball, you get last at bat, which can be a HUGE advantage. While you might get an emotional boost from a rockin' home crowd, baseball is the only sport (that I know of) where home field directly affects the course of play.

And LLJ, that picture is fake, though still pretty jokes.
mancrushoncb4 wrote:So in conclusion, I'm not having sex with my mother
Mascot
Lead Assistant
And1: 977

Post#33 » by Mascot » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:16 pm

Mikistan wrote:Make the slam dunk comp the way it used to be.
1 on 1 or 2 on 2 would be the fantasy of so many fans.
Lebron vs Kobe. Shaq vs Bynum lol!
Yi vs a chair!

im gonna be laughing at that for the rest of the night at work :)
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,605

Post#34 » by Brinbe » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:42 pm

Good ideas all around!

Personally, I'd probably re-vamp the Saturday skills comps. Keep the 3-pt contest, as there's nothing wrong with it, but they should do-away with the 3-ball and PG Skills comps as they're both lackluster. Replace them with something fun and fan oriented. The suggestion of 1 on 1, 2 on 2 with the fans selecting teams via text/internet voting could work. Sure, there are injury concerns but the possibilities could be great. Horse would also be amazing if they allowed for a lot of creativity. The props and the silliness we've seen in the Dunk contest could be driven to this event. These events could be amazing and they beat the hell out of the wack events they have right now...

Anyway, in the end they should leave more time for the slam-dunk comp and I believe that rather than re-making it the same as it was before, I'd like to see them emulate the X-games best-trick skate competitions. For anyone who hasn't seen those types of competitions before, it's like an open session of sorts where the participants each have a set amount of time to show their best moves. They each go in, right after another without all that waiting time. Here's a link so you have a better idea of what I mean.

I just think it's ideal because it's a looser type of event, that allows more than four players to participate and it really feeds into what the night is about. It also allows everyone to go in and bust out their best stuff without the sheer monotony of a Nate Robinson-figure holding things up, while also not limiting what people do because they're scared of using up their dunk attempts. So if someone wishes to try out their best dunks all throughout, that's their choice but the faster pace allows others to get their dunks in as well. The judging aspect may be a little difficult to figure out, but they could leave it entirely up to the fans watching in the arena, on tv or online. Sure, it would never happen, but I think it'd be great.

For the game itself, I echo whoever said Americans Vs the World as that could be a great idea. I think it could happen eventually, maybe when we host the ASG?
raps4life~
General Manager
And1: 25

Post#35 » by raps4life~ » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:48 pm

Apollo33 wrote:Bring Moon in the SDC

Ban Nate and Rudy from the SDC

Moon was a huge disappointment and quite frankly sucked ass at the dunk contest. I'm glad hes not back. I agree with Nate tho.

The 2on2 or 1on1 thing sounds so exciting. I don't know why they don't do them rather than the crap they have now.

I don't mind the dunk contest or the three point contest but the other two things are boring as HELL. Especially the one with former players/WNBA players.
Maritimer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Maritimer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:57 pm

Just had another idea. Considering a 2v2 tournament is unlikely to happen, what about replacing the rookie-soph game (which is a bit of a joke, really), with fans voting in their top 8 rookies and top 8 sophs, have 4 captains and let them pick teams. Not in advance, though -- on site. Take the 3 hours they give to the game on Friday night and let them play a 4 team, 4v4 round robin. 15 minute games, no half time. Two teams with the best +/- play in the finals. Get a sponsor to put up $500K for the winning team. You'd get to see the kids actually play hard, and with 4 on 4 in the open court you'd still see some craaaazy dunks.
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#37 » by Gold Chain » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:59 pm

Legends game.

WNBA dunk contest....oh wait.
Rapfuture
Sophomore

Post#38 » by Rapfuture » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:09 pm

At The Mecca wrote:I would put David Lee in the All-Star game over Chris Bosh.

and i would advise to gtfo
cry baby
bosh> lee
Rapfuture
Sophomore

Post#39 » by Rapfuture » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:09 pm

double c wrote:Legends game.

WNBA dunk contest....oh wait.

:lol:
Mike Hunt
Lead Assistant
And1: 37

Post#40 » by Mike Hunt » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:23 pm

Above all else, eliminate fan voting for the all-star game.

I like the idea of a legends game where they try to reunite all-stars from 20 years before (ie, this year would be the 1989 all-stars). I'm sure it would pose some logistical problems in terms of who's willing/able to play in the game but the NBA ought to have enough clout to sway at least 7 guys from each side.

Keep the 3-point competition as is.

Have a 2 on 2 tournament for rooks/sophs only instead of that boring thing they pass off as a game.

Eliminate the three-ball and skills challenge.

Up the number of dunkers back to 8, 4 voted on by fans (fans still get to feel like they participated) and the other 4 by the league. I like the idea of just giving them a minute to showcase their best stuff and then have a three person final (someone mentioned something similar).

Whatever the league can do to motivate the players monetarily, they should. I know we're taliking about millionaires here but so what, they're the best at what they do and if it takes even more money for them to actually showcase their skills for fans, so be it.

Return to Toronto Raptors