ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors Shopping Brown [Source]

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, HiJiNX, niQ, Reeko, lebron stopper

ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,212

Re: Raptors Shopping Brown [Source] 

Post#201 » by ConSarnit » Tue May 21, 2024 7:19 pm

CazOnReal wrote:
HangTime wrote:This can maybe be the building blocks of a Three team trade:

Raptors get:
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Zeke Nnaji
Reggie Jackson

Ziaire Williams
Brandon Clarke or Luke Kennard
2024 First round pick

Nuggets get:
Derrick Rose
Bruce Brown

Memphis gets:
Jakob Poeltl

The fact the Nuggets are giving all that up for Bruce Brown should tell you that this isn't remotely realistic, not the least of those reasons being the team lacking depth gets even thinner and KCP - who starts for Denver - is a UFA who doesn't have to agree to a sign and trade.

I do think taking a flier on Ziaire is a more interesting proposal than the oft-suggested Poeltl trades but I repeat: If you trade Jakob Poeltl, you're just going to end up spending 1-3 seasons finding someone to fill in that hole at center.

Do we really need that guy for the next 1-2 seasons? I think this team is more likely to miss the play-in than not so a guy like Poeltl isn't doing much for us outside of making us pick 9th instead of 5th.

We see guys like Poeltl floating around all of the time. If we can get value for him we should trade him. He is the type of player who imo, should be the last piece because we know the price is never that high.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 9,291

Post#202 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue May 21, 2024 7:26 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:
HangTime wrote:This can maybe be the building blocks of a Three team trade:

Raptors get:
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Zeke Nnaji
Reggie Jackson

Ziaire Williams
Brandon Clarke or Luke Kennard
2024 First round pick

Nuggets get:
Derrick Rose
Bruce Brown

Memphis gets:
Jakob Poeltl

The fact the Nuggets are giving all that up for Bruce Brown should tell you that this isn't remotely realistic, not the least of those reasons being the team lacking depth gets even thinner and KCP - who starts for Denver - is a UFA who doesn't have to agree to a sign and trade.

I do think taking a flier on Ziaire is a more interesting proposal than the oft-suggested Poeltl trades but I repeat: If you trade Jakob Poeltl, you're just going to end up spending 1-3 seasons finding someone to fill in that hole at center.

Do we really need that guy for the next 1-2 seasons? I think this team is more likely to miss the play-in than not so a guy like Poeltl isn't doing much for us outside of making us pick 9th instead of 5th.

We see guys like Poeltl floating around all of the time. If we can get value for him we should trade him. He is the type of player who imo, should be the last piece because we know the price is never that high.

Please name all these C's that have been traded & were available recently?
They all went for 1st round picks

No serviceable C's aren't easy to come by, which is why we went out & traded for one.

Playing without a competent C isn't good for anyone's developmental path. How do know if quickly can be effective in the screen n roll without a good big? How do we put Scottie in PnR & DHo without a good centre ?

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Scase
RealGM
And1: 8,537

Post#203 » by Scase » Tue May 21, 2024 7:28 pm

kingz3290 wrote:they'll trade him for a bag of chips and a 2nd rounder, then boast about the flexibility....$20M is 20M.You know who can use Bruce Brown? Orlando. Charlotte. Memphis. But all of those teams are smart enough not to give us any players with talent in return. Then we'll use the cap space to re-sign players we should let walk for above their market value.

This guy "Masais".
Props TZ!
Thaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,188

Post#204 » by Thaddy » Tue May 21, 2024 7:44 pm

If they trade Brown for a 'toxic' contract like Hunter and a 2nd I wouldn't be disappointed. The best case scenario from a trade like that is you end up with two rotation level players instead of 1 with the same amount of money used. Hunter could rehab his value because he would fit well here.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,391

Post#205 » by brownbobcat » Tue May 21, 2024 8:00 pm

Brown would have good value on a MLE contract. He had OK value on his current contract when the optionality was there, but was more useful as a trade filler for a star player with a bigger salary.

The problem now is that he can't be traded until after the option is exercised and a trade for a star isn't likely in the cards. Anything can happen, but I think it's far more likely Toronto waits until the trade deadline to see what's there.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,212

Post#206 » by ConSarnit » Tue May 21, 2024 8:02 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:The fact the Nuggets are giving all that up for Bruce Brown should tell you that this isn't remotely realistic, not the least of those reasons being the team lacking depth gets even thinner and KCP - who starts for Denver - is a UFA who doesn't have to agree to a sign and trade.

No serviceable C's aren't easy to come by, which is why we went out & traded for one.

Playing without a competent C isn't good for anyone's developmental path. How do know if quickly can be effective in the screen n roll without a good big? How do we put Scottie in PnR & DHo without a good centre ?

Kelly Olynyk. He sucks defensively but if you're looking for an optimal offensive environment Olynyk is a good stopgap. We don't need the additional 5 wins that Poeltl is going to provide that take us from the drafting 5th overall to 9th.

Servicable C's (ie. the 18th best C in the league) are always moving around. Here are players who have changed teams for the cost of a 1st (at most).

Capela
Allen
Zubac
Lopez
Ayton
Nurkic
Horford
Adams
Poeltl

There are many ways to get a starting level C. If it comes down to having to find one through trade there are always guys on the market.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 9,291

Post#207 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:14 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:

Kelly Olynyk. He sucks defensively but if you're looking for an optimal offensive environment Olynyk is a good stopgap. We don't need the additional 5 wins that Poeltl is going to provide that take us from the drafting 5th overall to 9th.

Servicable C's (ie. the 18th best C in the league) are always moving around. Here are players who have changed teams for the cost of a 1st (at most).

Capela
Allen
Zubac
Lopez
Ayton
Nurkic
Horford
Adams
Poeltl

There are many ways to get a starting level C. If it comes down to having to find one through trade there are always guys on the market.

If you wanna trade Jak because he's going to get us 5 more wins, which I assume you think will make us the 10th worst team instead of the 5th worst team then hey I get it, completely disagree, but I get it, I think. There's so many hypotheticals & ifs/wishes in that scenario that like is it even worth it. We could end up in the same situation, not bad enough to appease TWO & now we are without a valuable asset in jakob. I'm not oppose to trading anyone.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
UnbelievablyRAW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#208 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Tue May 21, 2024 9:03 pm

I'm pretty sure if we denounce Brown there is a way to just absorb H. Barnes and one of Mitchell/C. Jones/Duarte for like Boucher and McDaniels (both expiring) so the Kings can re-sign Monk. If his market is 25 million they don't have the room to keep him and improve the roster
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
ArthurVandelay
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,457

Post#209 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue May 21, 2024 9:11 pm

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:I'm pretty sure if we denounce Brown there is a way to just absorb H. Barnes and one of Mitchell/C. Jones/Duarte for like Boucher and McDaniels (both expiring) so the Kings can re-sign Monk. If his market is 25 million they don't have the room to keep him and improve the roster

Kings can’t pay Monk anymore than $17-18m without opening cap space which is basically not possible.

I think kings draft McCain who is a local kid to fill Monks role
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 6,064

Post#210 » by deeps6x » Tue May 21, 2024 9:23 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:I'm pretty sure if we denounce Brown there is a way to just absorb H. Barnes and one of Mitchell/C. Jones/Duarte for like Boucher and McDaniels (both expiring) so the Kings can re-sign Monk. If his market is 25 million they don't have the room to keep him and improve the roster

Kings can’t pay Monk anymore than $17-18m without opening cap space which is basically not possible.

So should we expect them to S&T Monk somewhere to get some value back? Like, can we sign him for $22M/yr or whatever, and send back $22M of salary?
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
ArthurVandelay
Lead Assistant

Post#211 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue May 21, 2024 9:26 pm

deeps6x wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

So should we expect them to S&T Monk somewhere to get some value back? Like, can we sign him for $22M/yr or whatever, and send back $22M of salary?

The most they could S&T him for is the same $17-18m
UnbelievablyRAW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#212 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Tue May 21, 2024 10:20 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:

Even if they give away Barnes they can't open enough space?
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
ArthurVandelay
Lead Assistant

Post#213 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue May 21, 2024 10:57 pm

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

Even if they give away Barnes they can't open enough space?

No. If they traded Barnes for nothing, renounced all FA, and traded #13 for nothing they’d have about $2.5-3m in cap space, 10 roster spots plus incomplete roster charges.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/cap/_/year/2024/sort/cap_total
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,700

Post#214 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue May 21, 2024 11:01 pm

Thaddy wrote:If they trade Brown for a 'toxic' contract like Hunter and a 2nd I wouldn't be disappointed. The best case scenario from a trade like that is you end up with two rotation level players instead of 1 with the same amount of money used. Hunter could rehab his value because he would fit well here.

If all Masai is getting is a 2nd rounder for taking on Hunter, he isn't worth the $15M per season he's making.

Hunter is owed around $60M over the next three seasons...and all we'd be getting is a second rounder?

We should be getting at least a FRP.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,700

Post#215 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue May 21, 2024 11:05 pm

brownbobcat wrote:Brown would have good value on a MLE contract. He had OK value on his current contract when the optionality was there, but was more useful as a trade filler for a star player with a bigger salary.

The problem now is that he can't be traded until after the option is exercised and a trade for a star isn't likely in the cards. Anything can happen, but I think it's far more likely Toronto waits until the trade deadline to see what's there.

Agreed. Kicking the can down the road is one area this FO truly excels at.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 25,179

Post#216 » by Tha Cynic » Tue May 21, 2024 11:13 pm

Denver and New York need secondary scoring. They're not giving up anything for Bruce Brown. He's not what they need

You also can't trade Poeltl unless you can replace him with a young version of himself. You don't want Olynyk or Barnes as the starting 5. I doubt they trade Poeltl this season
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 26,085

Post#217 » by C_Money » Tue May 21, 2024 11:17 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:Denver and New York need secondary scoring. They're not giving up anything for Bruce Brown. He's not what they need

You also can't trade Poeltl unless you can replace him with a young version of himself. You don't want Olynyk or Barnes as the starting 5. I doubt they trade Poeltl this season

Yeah everytime I see people talk about Poeltl getting traded I shake my head. Very unlikely that it’s happening considering what we gave up for him.
ArthurVandelay
Lead Assistant

Post#218 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue May 21, 2024 11:21 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:Denver and New York need secondary scoring. They're not giving up anything for Bruce Brown. He's not what they need

I hope they trade Poeltl but I don’t think they will.

With that said, if Poeltl could return real assets, I’m sure Capela would be available very cheap. He could be a placeholder for a year.
islandboy53
Bench Warmer
And1: 691

Post#219 » by islandboy53 » Tue May 21, 2024 11:28 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:

Capela
Allen
Zubac
Lopez
Ayton
Nurkic
Horford
Adams
Poeltl

We don't need to get a starting level center. We have one. We may find his future replacement in this draft, but he'll need some development. Also, we're not tanking this year. You need to resign yourself to that and think of ways we can build the team without trading Poeltl.
islandboy53
Bench Warmer
And1: 691

Post#220 » by islandboy53 » Tue May 21, 2024 11:41 pm

If Monk's gets $25 million, he is long gone no matter how much room Sacramento has, because the most they can offer him is about $17.4 million based on having only early bird rights. He is almost certainly gone, and the Kings can hope to replace him Brown (for Huerter and one of Vezenkov/Duarte/Mitchell) and DJJ for the full NTMLE. Declining Brown's option (lots of folks want to denounce him, but that doesn't help) is a waste, given he does have an actual market.

Return to Toronto Raptors