ImageImageImageImageImage

Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame // New Logo ? Pg. 5

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 3,148

Re: Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame // New Logo ? Pg. 5 

Post#221 » by TheGeneral99 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:21 pm

Jenike wrote:EMBARASSING that another team other than the Raptors announced they will retire Vince's jersey first. It is just WRONG.

It's actually embarrassing that the Nets are even retiring his jersey.

He played with their franchise for 5 years and made the playoffs 3 times, getting swept twice in the 2nd round. Years 4 and 5 in New Jersey were pretty bad and he was no longer an all-star caliber player.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,054

Post#222 » by kalel123 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:23 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:
Jenike wrote:EMBARASSING that another team other than the Raptors announced they will retire Vince's jersey first. It is just WRONG.

He played with their franchise for 5 years and made the playoffs 3 times, getting swept twice in the 2nd round. Years 4 and 5 in New Jersey were pretty bad and he was no longer an all-star caliber player.

They should be retiring Kenyon Martin and Richard Jefferson before Vince Carter if anything. Though none actually deserve it. But those guys certainly have more association with Nets than Vince Carter ever will.
TheGeneral99
Veteran

Post#223 » by TheGeneral99 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:24 pm

D.Brasco wrote:Are you all happy now? Those who still hold a grudge against VC 20 years later, to the point that the freaking Nets who barely anyone even associates with Vince anymore beat the Raptors to raising his jersey.

Who cares, it's pretty sad for the Nets as a franchise that the bar is so low.

Carter didn't accomplish much with the Nets despite having prime Kidd and Jefferson alongside him. In 2 of his 5 years there they missed the playoffs.

Carter obviously has more of a case here because he was our first star player that improved basketball popularity here, but the Nets already had guys like Kidd and Dr. J...this is just sad. I guess the Nets haven't had much to celebrate over the past 18 years.

Personally, I would either not retire Carter at all here or wait for Lowry and Derozan to be retired first.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#224 » by Scase » Wed May 15, 2024 3:26 pm

kalel123 wrote:Too many losers here getting upset at nothing. Net Zero.

If they do end up retiring his jersey, it'll be a display of what is wrong with this franchise. HOF has become more of a participation award now. Let's not cheapen the jersey retirement in a similar manner.

Listen, I'm not going to argue that the bare minimum qualifications for the HOF aren't low, as they are.

But Carter has tons of accolades that make him more than qualified and a very deserving HOF selection.
Props TZ!
Corson27
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#225 » by Corson27 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:30 pm

dTox wrote:
Corson27 wrote:
dTox wrote:I see this is more of an embarrassment for the Nets than us, he won them a grand total of...1 series, this reeks of desperation

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Beat the Raptors and Pacers IIRC. Lost to Shaq/Wade and Lebron. Single season scoring record; top 3 still in franchise scoring. Nets have no meaningful NBA franchise accomplishments (2 Finals appearances in history and ABA championships) so retiring the jerseys of their hall of fame players is about right.

I mean, the Hornets, Bocats, etc. have a pretty weak franchise history, but that doesn't mean they should retire someone just because they made it into the top 3 from a pretty weak list of scorers, and didn't even make it past the 2nd round. I think Kenyon Martin, has a better track record as a Net, being the 2nd best player on 2 finals team than Vince (of course Vince is the better player, but as a Net, I'd say Martin had a better tenure). I just think this is weak sauce, at least with the Raptors he has longevity (and cultural impact) so I understand it if the Raptors retired his jersey.

I understand your point, but I mean Dr. J, KD, Irving, VC, Joe Johnson (even Harden) are not anything to scoff at in terms of scorers in their prime who played multiple seasons in their uniform lol. They have 6 retired jerseys since the 70s, most of them were HOFers who had prime years as a Net. Not like they're handing out jersey retirements like they're candy.
kalel123
Lead Assistant

Post#226 » by kalel123 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:33 pm

D.Brasco wrote:Are you all happy now? Those who still hold a grudge against VC 20 years later, to the point that the freaking Nets who barely anyone even associates with Vince anymore beat the Raptors to raising his jersey.

Not sure why it's called "holding a grudge". That's downright wrong use of the term. It's just seeing it for what it is. You can't just look at the success and ignore the many failures especially if the same person failed you more times than they succeeded and quit his way out the door in the worst way. Of course, by this point, enough time has passed that you just shrug and ignore but not when talking about giving him the ultimate honor you can only give to someone who's done great things for the franchise when he did none of those. And no, I don't call a second round exit capped by "the graduation game" as one because it's just a prime display of what was wrong with the guy.

Rather than cherry-picking, you take experience as a whole then realize it amounts to a whole lot of nothing.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,526

Post#227 » by D.Brasco » Wed May 15, 2024 3:38 pm

kalel123 wrote:

Not sure why it's called "holding a grudge". That's downright wrong use of the term. It's just seeing it for what it is. You can't just look at the success and ignore the many failures especially if the same person failed you more times than they succeeded and quit his way out the door in the worst way. Of course, by this point, enough time has passed that you just shrug and ignore but not when talking about giving him the ultimate honor you can only give to someone who's done great things for the franchise when he did none of those. And no, I don't call a second round exit capped by "the graduation game" as one because it's just a prime display of what was wrong with the guy.

Rather than cherry-picking, you take experience as a whole then realize it amounts to a whole lot of nothing.

I will be shocked if a Raptors player will ever have the cultural impact that Vince had on the franchise. Kawhi came close and could have been that guy but he left after 1 year.

20 years later nobody is focused on season records but the impact that individual had on the franchise, Vince chose to go into the HoF as a Raptor for a reason. That late 90s/2000s era franchise and Vince are intertwined forever.
kalel123
Lead Assistant

Post#228 » by kalel123 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:40 pm

Scase wrote:

If they do end up retiring his jersey, it'll be a display of what is wrong with this franchise. HOF has become more of a participation award now. Let's not cheapen the jersey retirement in a similar manner.

Listen, I'm not going to argue that the bare minimum qualifications for the HOF aren't low, as they are.

But Carter has tons of accolades that make him more than qualified and a very deserving HOF selection.

Dude's well below someone like Tracy McGrady who was a questionable selection himself. The only reason he got in is because he played as long as he did past age 40. But to me, it's just another reminder of how much natural gift he had that he squandered away during prime due to lack of drive, which is also displayed by the fact that he was just happy enough to toil away from one crummy team to next towards the end instead of trying to go to a contender to make something more out of his career.
Corson27
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#229 » by Corson27 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:45 pm

In terms of long lasting cultural impact, the fact VC threads pop up consistently with the same griping on one side, and the same defense on the other is a testament to it 20 years later lol. I will be back reading and laughing when the Raptors also honor Vince this fall.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#230 » by Scase » Wed May 15, 2024 3:45 pm

kalel123 wrote:
Scase wrote:

Dude's well below someone like Tracy McGrady who was a questionable selection himself. The only reason he got in is because he played as long as he did past age 40. But to me, it's just another reminder of how much natural gift he had that he squandered away during prime due to lack of drive, which is also displayed by the fact that he was just happy enough to toil away from one crummy team to next towards the end instead of trying to go to a contender to make something more out of his career.

24th in points all time, 8x AS selections, gold medal at the olympics and Fiba, etc. No one is discounting that he could've been obscenely better, that doesn't discount for him being more than qualified for the HOF though.

And suggesting he "was just happy enough to toil away from one crummy team to next towards the end instead of trying to go to a contender" is just stupid. He spend 12 years on the raps/nets. Over half his career trying to win on the same teams. I'm not gonna rip on the guy for not ring chasing.

Despite having chronic injuries, he still has played the 3rd most games in NBA history. He was hired as a vet to be an impeccable locker room presence and a mentor for rookies. He's the exact type of vet we were conned into thinking Thad etc were. If anything, I have more respect for him not ring chasing when he was old.

What a weird take.
Props TZ!
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,769

Post#231 » by SFour » Wed May 15, 2024 3:57 pm

this is embarrassing for the Nets not the Raptors.....you can tell from Vince's reaction that he doesn't even care about the news.

Richard Jefferson had a better career for the Nets than VC did.
galeon110
Analyst
And1: 631

Post#232 » by galeon110 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:15 pm

douggood wrote:he played 4.5 seasons for them, that deserves a jersey retirement?

plus people might not remember how ugly he made his exit, and thus our limited return.
.411% fgp 15.9 ppg with raptors
after trade
.462% fgp 27.5 ppg

i am still against retiring his jersey. he deserves some raptors honors, but at a level less than jersey retirement.

And what exactly is the standard for that level? Because it sure as hell seems like the only organization in the entire league that has itself confused with that "level" is this one. Shaq has his retired by Orlando, Ilguaskas has a jersey retired in Cleveland, Peja in Sacramento, Gasol in Memphis...
kalel123
Lead Assistant

Post#233 » by kalel123 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:23 pm

SFour wrote:

this is embarrassing for the Nets not the Raptors.....you can tell from Vince's reaction that he doesn't even care about the news.

Richard Jefferson had a better career for the Nets than VC did.

Yeah, definitely puzzled at that. You could even argue Kenyon Martin should be before Carter. Their own #1 pick who helped them go to 2 Finals as their 2nd best player. And pretty sure most people associate him with Nets than any other team he played for.
M3tro
Analyst
And1: 3,079

Post#234 » by M3tro » Wed May 15, 2024 4:42 pm

How many of us would even be posting here if it wasn't for Vince Carter?

He was the guy that birthed the first generation of fans and that impact is still being felt today.
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#235 » by navyblue » Wed May 15, 2024 4:47 pm

M3tro wrote:How many of us would even be posting here if it wasn't for Vince Carter?

He was the guy that birthed the first generation of fans and that impact is still being felt today.

Put him in the canada basketball hall of Fame.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,188

Post#236 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed May 15, 2024 4:56 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:

Petty move by the Nets.
They just wanted to be first.

Raps should be ashamed. VC's done so much for this country and franchise. His jersey should've been retired a long time ago.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
TheGeneral99
Veteran

Post#237 » by TheGeneral99 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:57 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
TheGeneral99 wrote:

Petty move by the Nets.
They just wanted to be first.

Raps should be ashamed. VC's done so much for this country and franchise. His jersey should've been retired a long time ago.

It's a weak move.

And no, I don't think VC's jersey should be retired at all, and if it is retired, not before Lowry and Derozan.

Personally, I believe that loyalty, professionalism and team accomplishments need to be considered when it comes to jersey retirement.

So while Derozan, for example, was not as good or talented as Vince, he played here for 9 years, was part of the greatest era in Raptors history, was part of the squad that went to the conference finals in 2016, made 4 all-star teams, was loyal to the core, had a great work-ethic and insanely professional during his time here. The combination of that in my opinion exceeds Vince's short, but exciting peak between 1998-2002.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,188

Post#238 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed May 15, 2024 4:57 pm

M3tro wrote:How many of us would even be posting here if it wasn't for Vince Carter?

Exactly.

He put the Raptors on the map.

He was the perfect FIRST star for this team.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
TheGeneral99
Veteran

Post#239 » by TheGeneral99 » Wed May 15, 2024 5:02 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:

Exactly.

He put the Raptors on the map.

He was the perfect FIRST star for this team.

I don't understand this logic that without VC, basketball wouldn't be what it is here today. Sure, he accelerated the growth here, but Raptors basketball was considered a bit of a joke here between 2005 and 2013, and that partially was due to Vince leaving this franchise in the dust in a very unprofessional manner.

And what if we drafted Dirk or Pierce instead of VC in 1998?

Toronto is a huge metropolitan city that loves a winner...as long as you win here, you will be very very popular.

Toronto is like 4-5x bigger than Vancouver, so basketball would not have failed here...it may have taken a little longer for basketball to get huge had Vince not been here so quickly, but there are many other possible outcomes that could have occurred which maybe would have accelerated the growth earlier.
TorontoBarneys
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,352

Post#240 » by TorontoBarneys » Wed May 15, 2024 5:04 pm

Vince was amazing. I had the privilege of watching him live as a kid including stuff like the dunk content and the famous playoff games vs. Iverson.

We definitely need to retire his jersey. I want him as a Raptors ambassador and working with the org directly one day.

Return to Toronto Raptors