ImageImageImageImageImage

Did we give up on Banton too soon?

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,356

Re: Did we give up on Banton too soon? 

Post#241 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:44 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:My bad - somehow I read his birthday as 1998, not 1999. Thats on me. Fact of the matter is he is still older than RJ.

:roll: OK, and that 7 months makes all the difference regarding potential and room for improvement? How convenient.

YogurtProducer wrote:You do realize that Barrett pre-Toronto was viewed as a negative asset and he was harped on by everyone for his lack of efficiency (including by me). He has completely changed the way he has played here (aka - to his strengths) that he always had. He completely cut out the mid range, got more off the ball (because he has that ability to), and stopped shooting as much.

Banton simply isn't able to do that. He has no where near the skill that RJ has or the feel for the game, and those are things RJ is still lacking in to. The fact Banton is another tier (or 7) below him is a bad sign.

All of which goes to show that players can adjust in the right conditions. Banton doesn't have nearly the upside of RJ, but he can similarly improve as a bench player. If anything, it's much harder for a starter to adjust because there's nowhere to hide - you're playing against the best every night.

YogurtProducer wrote:Because it was a 26 game sample, and he shot 64% the year prior, and is north of 70% now and 68% on the season. Again, I would have called that prior number bad because it was. Again, pre-Toronto RJ was not playing like he is now, which really is all that is relevant here.

RJ has 297 games with NYK shooting under 61% at the rim and 28 games with Toronto shooting 72% at the rim. But OK, go on about sample size.

YogurtProducer wrote:Sure - but what fit and role does Banton have is my entire point. RJ has the skills to play a backseat, but does Banton? How much of RJs success right now is due to unsustainable 3 point shooting (probably some).

The fact of the matter is that in Bantons absolute best time of his career is right now. A time in which he is playing better in all aspects and shooting from 3 at a likely unsustainable rate. Despite that - he still is near the bottom of the league in efficiency and does nothing else good.

Like seriously - what does he do good that you can actually support? Nothing?

Every single thing you say about Banton in a backup role can be said about RJ in a starting role. RJ didn't have a single stand-out elite level skill, except maybe size at the 2.

Is he an elite shooter? Elite athlete? Handle? Finisher? Passer? Defender? No, no, no, no, no and no. RJ's 28 games with Toronto is by far the absolute best stretch of his career. A time in which he is playing better in all aspects and shooting from 3 at a likely unsustainable rate.

Again, the bar for Banton isn't being a starter.

I agree the bar for Banton isn't being a starter - his absolute best case at this point is 7th/8th men and the odds of that happening are frightening low.

Guys in that position need to be able to be complimentary pieces. He is NOT going to have the ball in his hands much, which means he has to be a shooter or a defend or a cutter - and he sucks at all 3 aspects. RJ on the other hand is a great cutter, defends decently enough (but Banton is close here to), and apparently is a decent shooter when he is putting up less shots (Banton is a bad shooter).

I guess my entire issue with this thread here is that people are going to death to fight for Dalano Banton, a guy who was cut in July, and then traded by Boston for a top 55 protected pick. Now, he is putting up fancy ppg stats (on **** efficiency) and people are acting like all he needs is the right conditions? He has had ample opportunity in Toronto and Boston to show he can be a rotational piece, and now his piss poor showing in Portland is just further proof he is not good.

His time in Portland is not a success - he is just showing why teams gave up on him. No one is interested in a guard who cant score, pass, or defend.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,335

Post#242 » by brownbobcat » Thu Apr 4, 2024 10:03 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:I agree the bar for Banton isn't being a starter - his absolute best case at this point is 7th/8th men and the odds of that happening are frightening low.

Guys in that position need to be able to be complimentary pieces. He is NOT going to have the ball in his hands much, which means he has to be a shooter or a defend or a cutter - and he sucks at all 3 aspects. RJ on the other hand is a great cutter, defends decently enough (but Banton is close here to), and apparently is a decent shooter when he is putting up less shots (Banton is a bad shooter).

I guess my entire issue with this thread here is that people are going to death to fight for Dalano Banton, a guy who was cut in July, and then traded by Boston for a top 55 protected pick. Now, he is putting up fancy ppg stats (on **** efficiency) and people are acting like all he needs is the right conditions? He has had ample opportunity in Toronto and Boston to show he can be a rotational piece, and now his piss poor showing in Portland is just further proof he is not good.

His time in Portland is not a success - he is just showing why teams gave up on him. No one is interested in a guard who cant score, pass, or defend.

His time in Boston isn't indicative of anything. A near minimum level guy like him isn't going to get "ample opportunity" on a serious championship contender. As I said before, I think it speaks highly about his potential that they even signed him in the first place and he was obviously cut for financial reasons just like how Toronto cut Dinwiddie.

I don't care how bad a team is, just being able to put up raw counting stats over a few months means something. If it was that easy, everyone would do it and they don't. I'm not saying he's arrived as a rotation player, but it's not nothing. There are plenty of flawed players who've managed to carve out a long career in the NBA. Can Schroder do any of those things you mentioned at an elite level? No, but he can do enough to be considered a borderline starter for a decade. Banton isn't a bad defender and he's shown improvement as a shooter. You can't tell me it's impossible for him to carve out a career like Garrett Temple if he works at it.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#243 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Apr 4, 2024 10:15 pm

brownbobcat wrote:I don't care how bad a team is, just being able to put up raw counting stats over a few months means something. If it was that easy, everyone would do it and they don't. I'm not saying he's arrived as a rotation player, but it's not nothing. There are plenty of flawed players who've managed to carve out a long career in the NBA. Can Schroder do any of those things you mentioned at an elite level? No, but he can do enough to be considered a borderline starter for a decade. Banton isn't a bad defender and he's shown improvement as a shooter. You can't tell me it's impossible for him to carve out a career like Garrett Temple if he works at it.

No, it really does not. Generally anyone good enough for the NBA can put up counting stats

Bruno Cabolo 2019 in MEM per 36 - 13/4/2 with 0.6SPG and 1.5BPG on 57.1TS%
Malachi Flynn 2021 in TOR in April/May - 13/4/5 56TS% and ROTM award

Schroder averaged 19ppg on 58TS% in 2020 on OKC and has been a decent playmaker and protector of the ball his entire career. Of course he does nothing at an elite level - my entire point is Banton does not even do things at an average level.

There is a way for Banton to carve out a career. He needs to learn how to shoot. That really is his only path to NBA relevancy and you can go read my quotes from earlier in the thread where I said if he becomes a 36% shooter consistent he will have a bench spot. But that can be said for 200 guys in the NBA.

If Agbaji gets a 3 he is a starting 2/3 in the NBA. If Boucher had a 3 he is starting 4 / 6th man. If Bruce Brown had a 3 he would be a startng caliber guy, If Barnes had a consistent 3 he would be all-nba. If Schroder had a 3 he is damn close to all star level. If Poellt gets a 3 he is an all-star/all-nba center.

It is not just some sort of lock a guy can discover a 3. Very few guys randomly in year 4 become good shooters.

Garrett Temple has a career pretty much because he is a terrific dude. So sure, if Banton can get the entire NBAPA to like him and get a reputation as a terrific locker room guy then sure, maybe he can have a long career.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,335

Post#244 » by brownbobcat » Fri Apr 5, 2024 5:53 am

YogurtProducer wrote:No, it really does not. Generally anyone good enough for the NBA can put up counting stats

Schroder averaged 19ppg on 58TS% in 2020 on OKC and has been a decent playmaker and protector of the ball his entire career. Of course he does nothing at an elite level - my entire point is Banton does not even do things at an average level.

First of all, per 36 is the opposite of a counting stat. Secondly, showing something is not a guarantee that a player will continue to get better, it just means there's some potential there - because there are guys that never even show that at all.

Schroder has had pedestrian turnover and playmaking numbers his entire career. His career TS is the exact same 53% that you keep using to poke at Banton. It's funny how the exact same number indicates Banton is miles below average and but shows RJ and Schroder are average. Again, NONE of this is an argument for Banton being the superior player - he isn't, but the flaws are fixable and the positives are good enough for him to become a 8-10th guy or better.

YogurtProducer wrote:There is a way for Banton to carve out a career. He needs to learn how to shoot. That really is his only path to NBA relevancy and you can go read my quotes from earlier in the thread where I said if he becomes a 36% shooter consistent he will have a bench spot. But that can be said for 200 guys in the NBA.

If Agbaji gets a 3 he is a starting 2/3 in the NBA. If Boucher had a 3 he is starting 4 / 6th man. If Bruce Brown had a 3 he would be a startng caliber guy, If Barnes had a consistent 3 he would be all-nba. If Schroder had a 3 he is damn close to all star level. If Poellt gets a 3 he is an all-star/all-nba center.

Uh, no. Not everyone is simply a serviceable 3 from being a starter or All Star and certainly not Poeltl. Neither Brook Lopez nor Myles Turner are those things and they are infinitely better shooters. Hell, put JV on that list too. Poeltl is a bottom tier starter, he's the Schroder of Cs.

I've not seen Agbaji do a single thing well or even average except run and shuffle his feet fast. [/quote]
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,232

Post#245 » by Zeno » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:41 am

How is he functioning as an off-ball player? It is great if he is doing well on ball but his problem here, and to a slight bit Malachi’s too, was that he needed to have the ball in his hands to be effective in any way consistently. If he is doing that now than yes we gave up on him too soon.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,232

Post#246 » by HumbleRen » Fri Apr 5, 2024 10:26 am

No. Flynn and Banton are not NBA players, I believed that last year and I still believe that to be the case going forward. I wish them success but if they were ever going to find success, it wasn't going to be with us.

The only prospect from the last 3 years that you might have remorse's regret on is Precious and even that is iffy.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#247 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:32 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:No, it really does not. Generally anyone good enough for the NBA can put up counting stats

First of all, per 36 is the opposite of a counting stat. Secondly, showing something is not a guarantee that a player will continue to get better, it just means there's some potential there - because there are guys that never even show that at all.

Schroder has had pedestrian turnover and playmaking numbers his entire career. His career TS is the exact same 53% that you keep using to poke at Banton. It's funny how the exact same number indicates Banton is miles below average and but shows RJ and Schroder are average. Again, NONE of this is an argument for Banton being the superior player - he isn't, but the flaws are fixable and the positives are good enough for him to become a 8-10th guy or better.

YogurtProducer wrote:There is a way for Banton to carve out a career. He needs to learn how to shoot. That really is his only path to NBA relevancy and you can go read my quotes from earlier in the thread where I said if he becomes a 36% shooter consistent he will have a bench spot. But that can be said for 200 guys in the NBA.

Uh, no. Not everyone is simply a serviceable 3 from being a starter or All Star and certainly not Poeltl. Neither Brook Lopez nor Myles Turner are those things and they are infinitely better shooters. Hell, put JV on that list too. Poeltl is a bottom tier starter, he's the Schroder of Cs.

I've not seen Agbaji do a single thing well or even average except run and shuffle his feet fast.

Banton at 53TS% is bad because it is being propped up by a 36 3pt% which everyone knows is unsustainable. Once he reverts back to his college / g-league/ other NBA average of like 29% he is going to have a sub 50TS% again.

Schroder is a pedestrian playmaker you are right - Banton is downright awful. 4.0 assists per 36 for Banton is just really, really bad for a guy whose on the ball a ton.

I think you vastly underrate how much the 3 ball changes things for players.

Many players are a 3 ball away from being long-time good NBA players. Poeltl is a better playmaker than Lopez or Turner, and if had their shooting touch he would easily be one of the best C's in the entire league. There would be very few players that would have his combo of shooting/passing/defense/rebounding from the C position. That is a unicorn player if he could shoot.

You really just vastly underrate how much shooting opens up everything else for a player.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,189

Post#248 » by xAIRNESSx » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:04 am

Dalano with another good game going 21-8-8 with a team high +14 in the win against Washington.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,689

Post#249 » by Bruin » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:55 pm

What a way to end the season for Benton. 0/15 from 3, 5 turnovers, and a flagrant 2 ejection

Blazers are hilarious for letting him continue to chuck after bricking every single one
aroc23
Junior
And1: 355

Post#250 » by aroc23 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:05 pm

Bruin wrote:What a way to end the season for Benton. 0/15 from 3, 5 turnovers, and a flagrant 2 ejection

Blazers are hilarious for letting him continue to chuck after bricking every single one

Great single game drop in a player's 3pt%? :lol:

No idea why they kept letting him clank those shots. For his own good they should have stopped him. I hope they give him another chance next season in a small usage role.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,670

Post#251 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:38 pm

What goes through a guy’s head to finish a game 0/15 from 3?
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,133

Post#252 » by Potential » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:38 pm

This is embarrassing. How can u go 0-15 in a game from 3?????

Read on Twitter
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,464

Post#253 » by TimeForChange » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:40 pm

Bruin wrote:What a way to end the season for Benton. 0/15 from 3, 5 turnovers, and a flagrant 2 ejection

that's worse then harden in game 7 against the warriors :lol:
GP2
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,568

Post#254 » by GP2 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:01 pm

What does Rexdale think?
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,607

Post#255 » by Scase » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:03 pm

Potential wrote:This is embarrassing. How can u go 0-15 in a game from 3?????

Read on Twitter

dId WE give Up on BaNTOn tOo sOON?!

You'd think after the BC years, and hell, most of this teams existence, the fans would recognize fools gold when it's staring them right in the face.
Props TZ!
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,784

Post#256 » by Badonkadonk » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:08 pm

Can we merge this with the Flynn thread? Or better, dump all ex-scrubs into a thread so when one of them pops off in any league ppl have a place for their hot takes?
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,802

Post#257 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:09 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:Can we merge this with the Flynn thread? Or better, dump all ex-scrubs into a thread so when one of them pops off in any league ppl have a place for their hot takes?

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2349982

Just saying! Lolz!
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,784

Post#258 » by Badonkadonk » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:26 pm

GoRapstheoriginal wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:Can we merge this with the Flynn thread? Or better, dump all ex-scrubs into a thread so when one of them pops off in any league ppl have a place for their hot takes?

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2349982

Just saying! Lolz!

Touche, tho I like to browse that thread for positive vibes mostly (Kyle! Demar! Pascal!) but beggars can't be choosers.
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#259 » by Tofubeque » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:42 pm

Wasn't even for the Raptors yet this might be THE image of the vision 6'9" era

props Turbozone
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,988

Post#260 » by Los_29 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:15 am

I wish Banton nothing but the best and hope he can carve out a career in the NBA. However, I have a feeling this thread is going to get bumped numerous times in the future. This reminds me of the Oshae Brisset thread.

Return to Toronto Raptors