ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors Shopping Brown [Source]

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, HiJiNX, niQ, Reeko, lebron stopper

Merit
Head Coach
And1: 3,243

Re: Raptors Shopping Brown [Source] 

Post#241 » by Merit » Thu May 23, 2024 3:53 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
If Knicks don't get that star, they need a role player who's a better shooter/scorer than Bruce who's more the Swiss Army knife type. He's not what they need

If Thibs is still coach, which he almost certainly will be, Brown is exactly what they need. Thibs needs lots of Swiss army knives who can handle the ball, rebound, defend, and score when needed.

Plus bogdan is injured. Hardly played. Bruce is at least an upgrade for them and relatively low cost if its just the bucks pick

After the Indy series, I hope recency bias comes into play. Bruce is legit defensively and the Knicks have enough to get a star even if they send us the bucks first - especially if they move on from Randle. I’d do it, but not before exhausting every other option. I still like Wiggins more than this.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#242 » by Merit » Thu May 23, 2024 3:58 pm

will wrote:Might not be able to polish a turd, but you may be able to put a bit of a buff on a turd.

Actually, you can polish a dinosaur turd.
I believe in Masai.
will
RealGM
And1: 50,457
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#243 » by will » Thu May 23, 2024 6:19 pm

Merit wrote:
will wrote:Might not be able to polish a turd, but you may be able to put a bit of a buff on a turd.

Actually, you can polish a dinosaur turd.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,808

Post#244 » by WaltFrazier » Fri May 24, 2024 12:42 am

Merit wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:
If Thibs is still coach, which he almost certainly will be, Brown is exactly what they need. Thibs needs lots of Swiss army knives who can handle the ball, rebound, defend, and score when needed.

Plus bogdan is injured. Hardly played. Bruce is at least an upgrade for them and relatively low cost if its just the bucks pick

After the Indy series, I hope recency bias comes into play. Bruce is legit defensively and the Knicks have enough to get a star even if they send us the bucks first - especially if they move on from Randle. I’d do it, but not before exhausting every other option. I still like Wiggins more than this.

How about Wiggins to Knicks then. :D
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#245 » by Merit » Fri May 24, 2024 2:10 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
Merit wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

If we get OG in return? Count me in!
I believe in Masai.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 65,186

Post#246 » by OakleyDokely » Fri May 24, 2024 1:01 pm

Brown is still a good rotation player, especially for a contender, and his expiring contract allow for financial flexibility in the 2025 offseason. He should still be easily moveable.
ArthurVandelay
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,457

Post#247 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri May 24, 2024 1:08 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Brown is still a good rotation player, especially for a contender, and his expiring contract allow for financial flexibility in the 2025 offseason. He should still be easily moveable.

I agree

I think this has become a cliché expression, but doesn't make it not true. I think the deals that were available at the trade deadline for Bruce will be there on draft night (i.e. 2024 1sts). Remains to be seen if anything else is available.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,831

Post#248 » by Steelo Green » Fri May 24, 2024 1:12 pm

There are many better players than Brown making less money and some even expiring.

His value is probably a couple of seconds at best.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 65,186

Post#249 » by OakleyDokely » Fri May 24, 2024 1:20 pm

His value will be dependent on what you're taking back. If you're taking back contracts with more term, you will get more than if you're taking back other expiring deals.

The most likely structure of a deal is the Raps taking back a contract with 2-3 years left and getting a solid prospect and/or pick in return, which is what rebuilding teams should be doing.

Lets say the Hawks want to get off Hunter, they attach a prospect like Griffin or a protected pick with him for a season of Brown and his expiring. If the opposing team is giving back the Raps other expiring contracts, ya, Brown won't bring much value back. He isn't a star.
MiamiSPX
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,602

Post#250 » by MiamiSPX » Fri May 24, 2024 1:52 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Lets say the Hawks want to get off Hunter, they attach a prospect like Griffin or a protected pick with him for a season of Brown and his expiring. If the opposing team is giving back the Raps other expiring contracts, ya, Brown won't bring much value back. He isn't a star.

That's exactly the type of deal that will happen, if any. Someone like Huerter or Hunter who fit our timeline, it's debatable whether they are good or not, need a fresh start, and helps the trading partner get off some term. I'm fine with either as long as there is some sweetener in it for us.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,280

Post#251 » by mihaic » Fri May 24, 2024 9:29 pm

If Brown is traded before the draft, wouldn't he be eligible to be waived by the new team? Perhaps we can take a 1 year contract and a first for soon-2-be-waived Brown. Saves a team 20m in cap space.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#252 » by Scase » Fri May 24, 2024 9:32 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:Denver and New York need secondary scoring. They're not giving up anything for Bruce Brown. He's not what they need

You also can't trade Poeltl unless you can replace him with a young version of himself. You don't want Olynyk or Barnes as the starting 5. I doubt they trade Poeltl this season

If the plan is to be a bottom 5 team you absolutely can. Ideally they would draft a C this year and trade him considering next year is looking to be a rather deep/strong draft.
Props TZ!
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,405

Post#253 » by Mark_83 » Fri May 24, 2024 10:01 pm

I can't really see an obvious fit for a Brown trade. I thought back to Denver at first but they don't have the salaries to move out. It would require a third team to make work.

Atlanta looks like a team that is on the verge of major change, with the Young trade rumors and the #1 pick coming. I could see them wanting to get out from under Hunter's contract for assets.

Brown to Atlanta for Hunter + Griffin + 2025 FRP (via SAC)
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,312

Post#254 » by PoundTown » Fri May 24, 2024 10:24 pm

Mark_83 wrote:I can't really see an obvious fit for a Brown trade. I thought back to Denver at first but they don't have the salaries to move out. It would require a third team to make work.

Atlanta looks like a team that is on the verge of major change, with the Young trade rumors and the #1 pick coming. I could see them wanting to get out from under Hunter's contract for assets.

Brown to Atlanta for Hunter + Griffin + 2025 FRP (via SAC)

Chicago for Lonzo and Carter and pcik or Dalen Terry if you believe in him
GSW for Wiggs or CP3
LAL for Gabe Vincent and 2nd or JHS or something.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 16,473

Post#255 » by ForeverTFC » Fri May 24, 2024 10:34 pm

Merit wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Merit wrote:

If we get OG in return? Count me in!

Siakam for IQ, Barrett, Kelly Olynyk, Ochai Agbaji, 2024 1st round pick, 2024 2nd round pick, 2026 1st round pick. Noice.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 16,473

Post#256 » by ForeverTFC » Fri May 24, 2024 10:36 pm

Scase wrote:
Tha Cynic wrote:Denver and New York need secondary scoring. They're not giving up anything for Bruce Brown. He's not what they need

You also can't trade Poeltl unless you can replace him with a young version of himself. You don't want Olynyk or Barnes as the starting 5. I doubt they trade Poeltl this season

If the plan is to be a bottom 5 team you absolutely can. Ideally they would draft a C this year and trade him considering next year is looking to be a rather deep/strong draft.

They're not going into the season to purposefully tank with an incomplete roster, that's just not how this - or most - NBA teams operate. Even Prestie fields complete teams to start his seasons, he just sits them out a ton.
ArthurVandelay
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,457

Post#257 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri May 24, 2024 11:04 pm

mihaic wrote:If Brown is traded before the draft, wouldn't he be eligible to be waived by the new team? Perhaps we can take a 1 year contract and a first for soon-2-be-waived Brown. Saves a team 20m in cap space.

Except you can’t do that

You use to be able to do that about 2-3 CBAs ago

Now if you trade Brown you have To pick up his option first
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,700

Post#258 » by Rapsfan07 » Fri May 24, 2024 11:30 pm

mihaic wrote:If Brown is traded before the draft, wouldn't he be eligible to be waived by the new team? Perhaps we can take a 1 year contract and a first for soon-2-be-waived Brown. Saves a team 20m in cap space.

No. Brown's option must be picked up if he's being traded
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,280

Post#259 » by mihaic » Fri May 24, 2024 11:35 pm

^^^ Thanks for the answer, I wasn't aware that changed
Scase
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#260 » by Scase » Fri May 24, 2024 11:44 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
Scase wrote:

They're not going into the season to purposefully tank with an incomplete roster, that's just not how this - or most - NBA teams operate. Even Prestie fields complete teams to start his seasons, he just sits them out a ton.

I guess I'll need your definition of a complete roster. If we draft a C this year and move Jak, that's still a complete roster, is it not?
Props TZ!

Return to Toronto Raptors