ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Scottie All Star Barnes Thread 8

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, HiJiNX, niQ, Reeko, lebron stopper

mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,673

Re: Official Scottie All Star Barnes Thread 8 

Post#301 » by mdenny » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:43 pm

God Squad wrote:
mdenny wrote:
God Squad wrote:It sounds like you're part of the problem, with all honesty.

What does that mean? How am I part of the problem?

I feel like I explained my point. What is your point?

That you think Pensare has a cult on RealGM? Or even using Pensare as a reason people might disagree with you? Your whole post reeks of a troll attempt IMO.

Who the F cares about Pensare? The stuff I read on here is crazy.

Have you watched pensare's podcast? My assertion is that he employs the rhetorical devices and techniques of a cult leader.

I didn't say "he has a cult on realgm". I said that he has cult followers who post here.

You're not gonna be able to brush these differences down to "disagreement". I'm specifically speaking om the wild swings between unconditional extreme praise and incessantly toxic hate.

The other thing about cult-like thinking? There is always a conspiracy to suppress an idea or person for which there is no rational motive. Pensare claims the entire raptor media wants to suppress and sabotage Scotty Barnes.

What is the motivation for employees of rogers and bell to do this?
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,597

Post#302 » by God Squad » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:52 pm

mdenny wrote:
God Squad wrote:
mdenny wrote:
What does that mean? How am I part of the problem?

I feel like I explained my point. What is your point?

That you think Pensare has a cult on RealGM? Or even using Pensare as a reason people might disagree with you? Your whole post reeks of a troll attempt IMO.

Have you watched pensare's podcast? My assertion is that he employs the rhetorical devices and techniques of a cult leader.

I didn't say "he has a cult on realgm". I said that he has cult followers who post here.

You're not gonna be able to brush these differences down to "disagreement". I'm specifically speaking about the wild swings between unconditional extreme praise and incessantly toxic hate.

No, I don't watch Pensare. I've tried once but found his content too biased and his thinking lacking in context and facts. With that said, I don't care what people watch on YouTube or which basketball community they like, that's none of my concern.

I can't speak on the bolded because I frequently take time away from RealGM depending on how toxic it feels. But my only issue is this idea that Pensare has such a grasp on this board and that we're all zombies for Pensare content because we like Scottie and or defend him.
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#303 » by mdenny » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:57 pm

God Squad wrote:
mdenny wrote:
God Squad wrote:That you think Pensare has a cult on RealGM? Or even using Pensare as a reason people might disagree with you? Your whole post reeks of a troll attempt IMO.

You're not gonna be able to brush these differences down to "disagreement". I'm specifically speaking about the wild swings between unconditional extreme praise and incessantly toxic hate.

No, I don't watch Pensare. I've tried once but found his content too biased and his thinking lacking in context and facts. With that said, I don't care what people watch on YouTube or which basketball community they like, that's none of my concern.

I can't speak on the bolded because I frequently take time away from RealGM depending on how toxic it feels. But my only issue is this idea that Pensare has such a grasp on this board and that we're all zombies for Pensare content because we like Scottie and or defend him.

Do you believe that there is a conspiracy amongst raptors media to suppress and sabotage Scotty's career?
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,597

Post#304 » by God Squad » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:11 pm

mdenny wrote:
God Squad wrote:
mdenny wrote:

Do you believe that there is a conspiracy amongst raptors media to suppress and sabotage Scotty's career?

I don't even know what you're talking about TBH. But the answer would be no.
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#305 » by mdenny » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:01 pm

God Squad wrote:
mdenny wrote:
God Squad wrote:No, I don't watch Pensare. I've tried once but found his content too biased and his thinking lacking in context and facts. With that said, I don't care what people watch on YouTube or which basketball community they like, that's none of my concern.

Well I'm asserting that this a narrative carried by approx 5 to 10 active posters on this board who are primarily informed by pensare's podcast. In addition, I predict this narrative will intensify over the next couple of months.

You don't know what I'm talking about and all that so I'm not replying to you directly here. I'm saying to everyone....let's suppose it was true. The raptors media hates scotty Barnes. When else in raptor franchise history has such a thing happened? Everyone in the media hated a young player for no justifiable reason?

The only example I can think of is when the media turned on Bargnani after 3 seasons and started printing the truth about him after holding back for his first couple of years.

It's ironic that Pensare was such a die hard Bargnani guy too. Throwing everyone else under the bus because bargs didn't become the next big thing.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 28,151

Post#306 » by DG88 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:51 pm

mdenny wrote:
God Squad wrote:
mdenny wrote:

Well I'm asserting that this a narrative carried by approx 5 to 10 active posters on this board who are primarily informed by pensare's podcast. In addition, I predict this narrative will intensify over the next couple of months.

You don't know what I'm talking about and all that so I'm not replying to you directly here. I'm saying to everyone....let's suppose it was true. The raptors media hates scotty Barnes. When else in raptor franchise history has such a thing happened? Everyone in the media hated a young player for no justifiable reason?

The only example I can think of is when the media turned on Bargnani after 3 seasons and started printing the truth about him after holding back for his first couple of years.

It's ironic that Pensare was such a die hard Bargnani guy too. Throwing everyone else under the bus because bargs didn't become the next big thing.

I don't believe the media is out to get Scottie but the level of scrutiny he will be getting now that he's the face will be higher now than in the past. That's fair considering the Raptors are banking their future on Scottie. What I think people should do is not put ridiculous expectations on him as he grows into this role. There will be highs and lows as we've seen this season and more recently since the trades.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 8,537

Post#307 » by Scase » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:59 pm

DG88 wrote:
mdenny wrote:
God Squad wrote:I don't even know what you're talking about TBH. But the answer would be no.

I don't believe the media is out to get Scottie but the level of scrutiny he will be getting now that he's the face will be higher now than in the past. That's fair considering the Raptors are banking their future on Scottie. What I think people should do is not put ridiculous expectations on him as he grows into this role. There will be highs and lows as we've seen this season and more recently since the trades.

I don't think the media as a whole has anything specifically against Scottie, and mainly all the dumb **** they put out there is to drive engagement, which, well yeah, that's the job.

Doug Smith on the other hand, I think he genuinely has an axe to grind with Scottie for some reason. No other media folks are as consistently negative about Scottie, it's kinda nuts. Scottie has a great game, and he nitpicks the few negatives, other media folks are a little bit more all over the place.

I found that Lewenberg tends to skew closer to the negative for him, but nothing I would describe as an agenda. But Doug? I genuinely think he has an issue with the kid, or maybe what he represents as a new group of players, or Scotties general (seeming) disdain for dealing with media etc.

He's just too consistently negative to write it off as genuine criticism.
Props TZ!
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,593

Post#308 » by HiJiNX » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:29 am

Scase wrote:
DG88 wrote:
mdenny wrote:

I don't think the media as a whole has anything specifically against Scottie, and mainly all the dumb **** they put out there is to drive engagement, which, well yeah, that's the job.

Doug Smith on the other hand, I think he genuinely has an axe to grind with Scottie for some reason. No other media folks are as consistently negative about Scottie, it's kinda nuts. Scottie has a great game, and he nitpicks the few negatives, other media folks are a little bit more all over the place.

I found that Lewenberg tends to skew closer to the negative for him, but nothing I would describe as an agenda. But Doug? I genuinely think he has an issue with the kid, or maybe what he represents as a new group of players, or Scotties general (seeming) disdain for dealing with media etc.

Lewenberg was weird for awhile too. Aaron Rose is as well but he’s just generally annoying. The rest have been pretty fair imo.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 55,442

Post#309 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:34 pm

MainEvent wrote:

Scottie trolling our media "I didn't talk to him though" about GSP

Doug about to write another hit piece.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 45,781

Post#310 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:05 pm

MiamiSPX
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,602

Post#311 » by MiamiSPX » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:42 pm

I thought he was awesome last night. Didn't complain after every non-call (and there WERE quite a few on him). Was very vocal on D and on the bench, even in the garbage time minutes. At one point was talking to the ref normally, which is how you need to "work them over".

Even a pedestrian line for him was 18/12/3/3/1.

I'm hoping being at All-Star weekend helped him as much as we think it would. Great start so far.
Scase
RealGM

Post#312 » by Scase » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:10 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
Scase wrote:
DG88 wrote:I don't believe the media is out to get Scottie but the level of scrutiny he will be getting now that he's the face will be higher now than in the past. That's fair considering the Raptors are banking their future on Scottie. What I think people should do is not put ridiculous expectations on him as he grows into this role. There will be highs and lows as we've seen this season and more recently since the trades.

Lewenberg was weird for awhile too. Aaron Rose is as well but he’s just generally annoying. The rest have been pretty fair imo.

I didn't mention Rose cause he's usually just **** overall lol. He's like the epitome of a zoomer tiktok kid, it's nuts. Lewenberg was definitely weird for a hot minute, he had a couple weeks of nothing but negative tweets etc. But he seems to have let up off the gas, lil Dougie on the other hand....
Props TZ!
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 25,179

Post#313 » by Tha Cynic » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:21 am

I was looking at some videos from this time last season and it looks like Barnes has bulked up noticably. I think it's hurting his movements to be honest. Really wish he would slim down more.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
RoteSchroder
Senior
And1: 319

Post#314 » by RoteSchroder » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:21 am

mdenny wrote:Well I'm asserting that this a narrative carried by approx 5 to 10 active posters on this board who are primarily informed by pensare's podcast. In addition, I predict this narrative will intensify over the next couple of months.

There are both toxic Scottie critics and Scottie supporters.

These toxic ends of the spectrum clash with each other and tend to drag normal, reasonable fans into their feuds.
Tha Cynic
RealGM

Post#315 » by Tha Cynic » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:55 am

Scase wrote:
DG88 wrote:
mdenny wrote:

The Toronto media in general just doesn't talk about Barnes when he's playing well and then when he does something wrong, anything, they'll talk about it as if he kicked a baby. The main Toronto media are all the same type of people too..

Also has there been any Toronto first time all-star who got as little positive media coverage from the Toronto media as Barnes did this year? The American media had way positive coverage of him.

We really need these old grouchy old men to retire who grew up with the last era of Raptors basketball.

Basically, I don't read any coverage by white media folk in Toronto when it comes to Scottie Barnes other than Blake Murphy, who's more balanced. The rest seem to have an axe to grind with him or just don't like him. At the end of the day, guys like Smith, Lewenberg and Grange have probably never picked up a basketball in their life and that's how they sound when they talk basketball. I could care less if they lose their job. I'm here to watch basketball and the team win games - not care about their internal issues with a young player. Those 3 are easily the worst of the media to listen to in general. They just don't sound like they know basketball.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Tha Cynic
RealGM

Post#316 » by Tha Cynic » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:07 am

mdenny wrote:
God Squad wrote:
mdenny wrote:

It's only Lewenberg, Smith and Grange. The rest have been fine. There are some who prefer more of a shooter as their lead guy, but pretty much all of the others understand Barnes was always going to need years of refinement to get better. Something is definitely up with those 3 others and Barnes though. I get the sense someone was feeding them things, but who knows and who cares now. The house has been cleaned and Barnes is growing his game and as a person..
MiamiSPX
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,602

Post#317 » by MiamiSPX » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:52 am

I thought he was excellent again tonight.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,841

Post#318 » by Zeno » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:02 am

MiamiSPX wrote:I thought he was excellent again tonight.

I thought he was very good too though perhaps played a little tired. Understandable given the back to back off his all-star weekend. Felt like a bit of a on court load management game by design by the coaching staff I think.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Scase
RealGM

Post#319 » by Scase » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:15 am

Zeno wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:I thought he was excellent again tonight.

I thought he was very good too though perhaps played a little tired. Understandable given the back to back off his all-star weekend. Felt like a bit of a on court load management game by design by the coaching staff I think.

Tired Scottie when he actually has other people on the team showing up, 20/5/10/1/1.

His endurance isn't an issue, it's been his endurance crapping out with no release valve elsewhere on the team. The team played great today, and it benefits everyone. IQ was great Dick was fantastic, Nwora starting was a joke, but Darko learned pretty quick it was a bad idea.

Good game all around.
Props TZ!
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#320 » by mdenny » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:07 am

Tha Cynic wrote:
mdenny wrote:
God Squad wrote:I don't even know what you're talking about TBH. But the answer would be no.

It's only Lewenberg, Smith and Grange. The rest have been fine. There are some who prefer more of a shooter as their lead guy, but pretty much all of the others understand Barnes was always going to need years of refinement to get better. Something is definitely up with those 3 others and Barnes though. I get the sense someone was feeding them things, but who knows and who cares now. The house has been cleaned and Barnes is growing his game and as a person..

I've seen exactly one tweet that Doug Smith made that I would agree was a form of irrational hate/bias. Maybe there's more that I haven't seen.

In regards to the article he wrote last year? I'm sure ppl will disagree with with me here but I believe that article was orchestrated by the highest levels of the raptor FO. I believe the sources that went to Doug with that information were specifically directed to leak that stuff to him by the highest levels of the front office. They wanted that article to be written. I mean....Doug's whole schtick for years has been to be the unofficial mouth-piece of the FO. At least that's how I've seen it.

My perception is that the raptor media as a whole, including the 3 ppl you named, has protected scotty more than anything else. But I think that's over now.

Return to Toronto Raptors