ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#3201 » by RaptorsNorth » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:46 pm

If the raptors are going after Giannis they should just pick Tillie. You need shooters on top of shooters if pascal and Giannis is going to be your first and 2 option.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,736

Post#3202 » by Psubs » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:16 pm

Indeed wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:No way Theo falls to 29.

The author / publisher must be trolling Raptor fans however there's a large pool of "mid-level" prospects. I feel that a prospects chances of becoming an allstar is dependent on the franchise that develops him. I feel the Raptors could do that with a lot of these guys and should just look for a prospect with a solid foundation.

Yeah. It doesn't seem very likely he would be available. The guys drafted before Maledon in the mock draft are...

24. Malachi Flynn (Bucks)
25. Jaden McDaneils (Thunder)
26. Leandro Bolmaro (Celtics)
27. Tyler Bey (Knicks)
28. Robert Woodard (Lakers)

I'd be surprised if Maledon would be passed by all of these teams for the listed players.

I see some of these players are going to drop, including Maledon, as some teams are interested in a big, or they already have enough guards. Some may take a gamble (usually that is the Raptors) on a less known player.

There are quite a few FA big men, so perhaps the markets that don't attract many FA's would like a big to keep for many years.
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#3203 » by pr0gr4m » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:51 pm

Psubs wrote:
Indeed wrote:
I see some of these players are going to drop, including Maledon, as some teams are interested in a big, or they already have enough guards. Some may take a gamble (usually that is the Raptors) on a less known player.

There are quite a few FA big men, so perhaps the markets that don't attract many FA's would like a big to keep for many years.

The Lakers and Nets are likely going to take a probable bust in Desmond Bane and hopefully another bad late riser. It should get us to have a decent prospect drop to us.
TR50
General Manager
And1: 1,211

Post#3204 » by TR50 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:03 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Indeed wrote:

The Lakers and Nets are likely going to take a probable bust in Desmond Bane and hopefully another bad late riser. It should get us to have a decent prospect drop to us.

I don't know much about Desmond Bane aside from the fact that he seems to be a really good shooter, and that appears to be a transferrable skill.

Why would you say he will be a 'bust' in the 20's or so?

Honestly curious. He is someone I wanted to look into some more.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,439

Post#3205 » by Dalek » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:42 pm

RaptorsNorth wrote:If the raptors are going after Giannis they should just pick Tillie. You need shooters on top of shooters if pascal and Giannis is going to be your first and 2 option.

This would be argument as well. You need to have shooters around Giannis and Tillie offers that plus he can move the ball and is a passable defender.

People worry about Tillie's longevity, but I think even if you get his high level of play for 60 games a year, it is worth more than a guy you have to develop who may not pan out to too much offensively, like Xavier Tillman who will be a solid defender but will likely dry up as a offensive player making he leap to the NBA.

Tillie doesn't fit the defense first mentality, but I think he is a lot like a mini-Gasol that will surprise people on both ends. Especially the gravity he will have as a shooter.
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer

Post#3206 » by pr0gr4m » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:49 pm

casual_raps_fan wrote:This is weird thought but I think Nurse would probably start McCaw or Thomas if Fred and Norm are gone. Nurse has shown he likes to go with 'his guys' and he'd probably want to groom Maledon before sending him off to the frontlines.

Thomas is a bit too frail compared to the average NBA guys and it affects his defense. He has to completely lock in mentally on defense to not be a liability and that's tough to keep up for long stretches.

McCaw needs to be dealt as soon as possible. He is a very bad player and with Nurse's recent comments saying McCaw of all players would be helpful against the Celtics....very alarming.

Maledon plays on a higher level than typical run of the mill NCAA prospects. I would consider him to be a prospect that can contribute immediately and by mid season he can either figure it out or be sent to the Gleague to develop.

casual_raps_fan wrote:Yeah. Out of the listed players (Flynn, McDaniels, Bolmaro, Bey, Woodard), I like Woodard the most. I think it's unlikely he will be as good as OG or that he will play 2 though. His primary position will be 3 like you said but I'm thinking he'd be pretty useful at the 4 against a team like the Celtics or Heat.

He's not a fancy pick but he already can play his projected NBA role (3&D) and would give us stability with our depth at 3 and 4 behind Siakam and OG.

I'm thinking after Woodard, I'd have McDaniels as a close second.

McDaniels is a good guy to develop as well with size and his handle. He wouldn't make an immediate impact like Maledon or Reed though.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#3207 » by Dalek » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:03 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:
Dalek wrote:I want to like Paul Reed because he put up crazy defensive numbers, but he needs to convince people that he will come in and play that type of role in the NBA. The vibe I get from him is kind of like he wants to be a starter and a scorer to show people that he deserved to be ranked higher. The chip on your shoulder thing could backfire for the team that drafts him.

His defensive and rebounding numbers are very intriguing and that is the foremost reason I would want to bring him to Toronto with the first rounder. We aren't a lottery team and we just won the last legitimate / non-asterisk championship 8-)

He can prove he's a scorer in the Gleague and work on his offensive game there. I don't see the same downsides as you do. The only downside to his game is that his jumper won't allow for him to shoot off the dribble very well. That isn't really need that from your center and I think he can develop a good post game if we wanted him to.

At 29, if someone drafts him it will be as a defensive role player like Pascal was coming in. He will need to exceed in that role first before he turns into Paul George. I just don't really get the best character vibes out of him.

When we drafted OG he said he was going to come into the NBA and be a 3 point shooter when he shot around the same percentage as Reed.

The biggest take away from this interview:

Reed will take adversity well and work hard. I'm sure he will see the next level demanding a better shot, tighter handle, etc and based on his interview he has that swag, resistance to work through those tough rookie year stretches. I can see him building a lot of confidence in the Gleague and really shining as the third big if not start centering next season.

Here are a few quotes from an interview:

At the next level, I think that because the court is more spaced out, I can actually showcase my ability to dribble the ball and make moves. I couldn’t really showcase that at DePaul because that wasn’t my role. I had to box my game in. But in the NBA, once I’m on the court and I have someone in front of me, I’ll be able to go around them.

I can shoot the ball pretty well. My midrange is knockdown and my three-pointer is getting knockdown. I think I’m going to be able to come in and knock down open shots, easily. If there is a dude in my face, I feel like I’m still going to be able to knock a shot down. I’ve been working on it every day. That’s a plus about my game. I showcased that ability at DePaul, being able to knock down shots.

On the court, whatever team I go to, help lead them to the playoffs and hopefully win the championship. Another personal goal: I want to lead the rookies in rebounding. Off the court, I want to help my family get their house together. Fix all the things that are wrong. Do it up for my mom so she can be comfortable, super comfortable.

https://hoopshype.com/2020/08/04/depaul-blue-demons-paul-reed-nba-draft-interview/

He basically answered your first point about him not knowing his role. He followed his role at DePaul and didn't put the ball on the floor or try to create his own shot. His jumper has noticably improved since his first season and it could be built upon to turn him into a good spot up shooter from 3.

I think most agree he is the worst shooter in the draft, so he should just own it and say he is working on his game everyday. Saying he is a knockdown shooter just makes me think he is delusional.

He is not the worst shooter in the draft and he did say he works on his shot everyday. I highlighted the parts that refute your points about him.

I just think he is a weird fit in Toronto given Toronto's needs are with filling the C gap, getting a back-up PG, and adding some additional scoring.

I guess if you think he can buy into being a PF or C at the next level it could be interesting. I think his best outcome will be to follow a similar path as Marvin Williams. Williams came in as an raw prospect and really evolved over his career to eventually being a solid stretch four. Given Reed's weird mechanics on his shot, it may take time for him to adjust to the NBA game.

Paul Reed is a project similar to Precious Achuiwa. Both are great athletes with raw skills to be defensive gamechangers, but they need to figure out how to adapt to being energy guys that won't turn the ball over. I kind of think Toronto is already covered by guys like Boucher, RHJ and Stanley Johnson, but if they think a couple of those guys are free agents, so if they can get something better from Reed, then it might be worth 29.
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer

Post#3208 » by pr0gr4m » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:00 pm

Dalek wrote:
I just think he is a weird fit in Toronto given Toronto's needs are with filling the C gap, getting a back-up PG, and adding some additional scoring.

I guess if you think he can buy into being a PF or C at the next level it could be interesting. I think his best outcome will be to follow a similar path as Marvin Williams. Williams came in as an raw prospect and really evolved over his career to eventually being a solid stretch four. Given Reed's weird mechanics on his shot, it may take time for him to adjust to the NBA game.

Paul Reed is a project similar to Precious Achuiwa. Both are great athletes with raw skills to be defensive gamechangers, but they need to figure out how to adapt to being energy guys that won't turn the ball over. I kind of think Toronto is already covered by guys like Boucher, RHJ and Stanley Johnson, but if they think a couple of those guys are free agents, so if they can get something better from Reed, then it might be worth 29.

Reed is a better rebounder than Tillman. There isn't really any physically imposing bigs in the league anymore other than Embiid, KAT, Giannis(?).

If you have 3 guys who are long and can passing lanes it makes it that much harder to pass out of a double. Then Reed, OG, Siakam are all switchable. So a post up, double, pass out possession might not be the kind of quality shot the opposing team may have intended to create.

Reed and Woodard are interesting for those reasons. With Woodard I would try to put him in at the 2. Woodard's 6-7 with a 7-1 wingspan the strength to play against forwards and the lateral quickness to defend on the perimeter. He can shoot open shots and his mid ranger is visably less rigid.

Jaden McDaniels would be interesting but I see him being a bust with the issue of efficiency lingering around his career.

I would also consider Hughes if neither of these guys are available.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3209 » by Psubs » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:04 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Indeed wrote:

I think he could end up being Vinnie Johnson.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3210 » by Psubs » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:06 pm

Dalek wrote:I just think he is a weird fit in Toronto given Toronto's needs are with filling the C gap, getting a back-up PG, and adding some additional scoring.

Backup PF that can rebound and guard the P&R. :nod: Siakam Replacement. :o
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#3211 » by Indeed » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:24 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Reed is a better rebounder than Tillman. There isn't really any physically imposing bigs in the league anymore other than Embiid, KAT, Giannis(?).

If you have 3 guys who are long and can passing lanes it makes it that much harder to pass out of a double. Then Reed, OG, Siakam are all switchable. So a post up, double, pass out possession might not be the kind of quality shot the opposing team may have intended to create.

Reed and Woodard are interesting for those reasons. With Woodard I would try to put him in at the 2. Woodard's 6-7 with a 7-1 wingspan the strength to play against forwards and the lateral quickness to defend on the perimeter. He can shoot open shots and his mid ranger is visably less rigid.

Jaden McDaniels would be interesting but I see him being a bust with the issue of efficiency lingering around his career.

I don't think Woodard can play the 2, as he may not score enough (lack of ball penetration) that gives you enough impact as a 2.
Mane could be the better option at the 2 with a good first step to create his own shot, while having 7-0 wingspan.
Woodard and Reed are more 3/4, where they have the strength and average wingspan for that position. OG would be bigger though, so they may have a hard time fighting for a starting role.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#3212 » by Indeed » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:28 pm

Psubs wrote:
Dalek wrote:I just think he is a weird fit in Toronto given Toronto's needs are with filling the C gap, getting a back-up PG, and adding some additional scoring.

Backup PF that can rebound and guard the P&R. :nod: Siakam Replacement. :o

Tillie, Tillman, Nnaji are neither a starting C. Including Reed, they may all be playing the same 3/4 position or backup 5. Steward with 7'4 wingspan maybe the one who can play C, but lack of vertical may not make him the elite rim protector while being not a major threat on offense.

Things may change with the combine measurement. If any of them measured to be 7'3 wingspan, I think they will able to play the C. Therefore, anything can happen. Maybe someone who measured out very well jump all the way up.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,787

Post#3213 » by DG88 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:07 pm

Interesting podcast on Karim Mane that happened back in July.

Apparently, his uncle (Maurice Ndour) played professionally in both the NBA and is currently playing Europe

;ab_channel=OXPMedia
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer

Post#3214 » by pr0gr4m » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:43 pm

Indeed wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:
Dalek wrote:

I don't think Woodard can play the 2, as he may not score enough (lack of ball penetration) that gives you enough impact as a 2.
Mane could be the better option at the 2 with a good first step to create his own shot, while having 7-0 wingspan.
Woodard and Reed are more 3/4, where they have the strength and average wingspan for that position. OG would be bigger though, so they may have a hard time fighting for a starting role.

He would have a big size advantage at the 2 at 6'7 235 7'1 wingspan.

You can teach ball handling and shooting. You can't teach that kind of quickness with his tools. Having a 2 guard that can challege bigs/forwards at the rim is a huge advantage. A Siakam/OG/Woodard 4-3-2 combo could be absolute shutdown without being negatives offensively.

Woodard also improved a lot from his 1st season. He can provide 3+D right away at the back up 2/3/4 but I like his fluid mid range shot and he can definitely develop that. A tighter handle and he can attack smaller guards off the dribble and they'll just bounce off him. He could post them up and be a huge mismatch on offense the other team can't write off.

If we came out with either Woodard and/or Reed I would be pretty happy. I would guess both might be available with our 1st and 2nd picks. They would add to a strong defensive identity and can develop to be good offensive roleplayers. Reed can absolutely play the 5 at this level.

Reed
Siakam
OG
Woodard
Lowry

That would be pretty bad on offense but on defense you have 4 guys that have 7+ wingspans. I don't think the offense would be horrible you would have a size advantage with OG and Woodard on the wings. They could find a lot of post up opportunities in the half court.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#3215 » by Indeed » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:14 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:
Indeed wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:Reed is a better rebounder than Tillman. There isn't really any physically imposing bigs in the league anymore other than Embiid, KAT, Giannis(?).

He would have a big size advantage at the 2 at 6'7 235 7'1 wingspan.

You can teach ball handling and shooting. You can't teach that kind of quickness with his tools. Having a 2 guard that can challege bigs/forwards at the rim is a huge advantage. A Siakam/OG/Woodard 4-3-2 combo could be absolute shutdown without being negatives offensively.

Woodard also improved a lot from his 1st season. He can provide 3+D right away at the back up 2/3/4 but I like his fluid mid range shot and he can definitely develop that. A tighter handle and he can attack smaller guards off the dribble and they'll just bounce off him. He could post them up and be a huge mismatch on offense the other team can't write off.

If we came out with either Woodard and/or Reed I would be pretty happy. I would guess both might be available with our 1st and 2nd picks. They would add to a strong defensive identity and can develop to be good offensive roleplayers. Reed can absolutely play the 5 at this level.

Reed
Siakam
OG
Woodard
Lowry

That would be pretty bad on offense but on defense you have 4 guys that have 7+ wingspans. I don't think the offense would be horrible you would have a size advantage with OG and Woodard on the wings. They could find a lot of post up opportunities in the half court.

I have to disagree that Tucker can play the 2. And Woodard is not particularly quick, neither opponent will be bounced off him without being called for charge. He will be alright at SF/PF, but I don't envision teams will play him at SG.

Reed does not have the length to play the 5 against starter. Reed is smaller/shorter than Siakam and OG :lol: You might as well have Siakam or OG play at C.
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer

Post#3216 » by pr0gr4m » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:28 pm

Indeed wrote:I have to disagree that Tucker can play the 2. And Woodard is not particularly quick, neither opponent will be bounced off him without being called for charge. He will be alright at SF/PF, but I don't envision teams will play him at SG.

Reed does not have the length to play the 5 against starter. Reed is smaller/shorter than Siakam and OG :lol: You might as well have Siakam or OG play at C.

He is quick and can guard 2-5 and has overwhelming length in post up situations. He is a great all around defensive player but will be a project on offense. Which report did you read that indicated poor lateral movement?

He's 235lbs and is defensively fit for playing the 2. If you have a FVV assigned to guard him he will either get posted down or be ripped through for a straight line drive to the rim.
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer

Post#3217 » by pr0gr4m » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:30 pm

DG88 wrote:Interesting podcast on Karim Mane that happened back in July.

Apparently, his uncle (Maurice Ndour) played professionally in both the NBA and is currently playing Europe

;ab_channel=OXPMedia

I was originally high on Karim Mane but he is already 20 and too behind developmentally to be a factor. I would let another team develop him and try to poach him later on. I would rather draft an overlooked senior like Winston or Tillman at 59. We need some immediate impact rotation guys considering a lot of our roster is getting older/end of contract status.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3218 » by Psubs » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:39 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:
DG88 wrote:Interesting podcast on Karim Mane that happened back in July.

;ab_channel=OXPMedia

I was originally high on Karim Mane but he is already 20 and too behind developmentally to be a factor. I would let another team develop him and try to poach him later on. I would rather draft an overlooked senior like Winston or Tillman at 59. We need some immediate impact rotation guys considering a lot of our roster is getting older/end of contract status.

Josh Hall is also already 20. :o

Markus Howard is a 4 year senior and still only 21. Though he may not get drafted. I mean does he do much more than Matt Thomas would? At least Matt Thomas can guard some bigger backup guards.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#3219 » by RaptorsNorth » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:02 pm

NotMyKawhi wrote:
looks like a project. We need a player that can contribute right away like Fred, Norm and TD.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
Dalek
RealGM

Post#3220 » by Dalek » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:12 pm

RaptorsNorth wrote:
NotMyKawhi wrote:
looks like a project. We need a player that can contribute right away like Fred, Norm and TD.

I like Bolmaro, but he is signed to Barcelona for at least this year, so he won't come over right away. He is strictly a draft and stash candidate that likely falls to middle round 2.

Return to Toronto Raptors