ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,158

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#3261 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:24 am

Psubs wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:Perry doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses. Nothing that can't be fixed at least.
Matter of fact if you compare both Perry and JJJ's scouting reports coming out of college, they share the same weaknesses [turnovers, defending in space, etc.]
Raptors will need to help Perry unlock his defensive potential because he has all the tools but hasn't put it together on that end yet.

Waiting for measurements but 6'10 with a 7 foot wingspan is alright. JJJ has a 7'5 wingspan.

Who knows maybe Perry turns out like Karl Malone? :D

BLUE 32!!!

Yeah that wingspan of JJJ makes him the much better rim protector and defender overall. But Perry is as strong as they come.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,736

Post#3262 » by Psubs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:13 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:Yeah that wingspan of JJJ makes him the much better rim protector and defender overall. But Perry is as strong as they come.

As from the video Malone was big and strong but he became super strong in the bigs.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#3263 » by Indeed » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:10 am

pr0gr4m wrote:
Indeed wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:You know I'm standing right here. :lol:

I think if you do enough research on a prospect, you will pretty much get the same perspective.
A scouting report was provided on my previous post, and I also saw a few scouting report that mentioned his quickness is not at the elite guard level. But if you just want to hear what you want to here, perhaps you can just ignore all of us plus other scouting report.

I watched him play and he can keep up with PGs.

His conditioning, athleticism, strength, and length are huge advantages at the 3/4 and even more so at the 2.

I didn't see your previous post and I don't see a scouting report anywhere.

He’s also a disruptive one-on-one defender, giving up just 0.67 PPP per Synergy. He moves well laterally and is rarely seen getting dusted by all but the quickest guys. In addition, he can be a game changer with impact players on defense, averaging over a steal and a dunk per 36 minutes. Even without the flashy plays, he almost always manages to contest shots and throw shooters out of rhythm.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1904610&start=3220#p85783128
LoveMyRaps
RealGM

Post#3264 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:51 am

Psubs wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:Yeah that wingspan of JJJ makes him the much better rim protector and defender overall. But Perry is as strong as they come.

As from the video Malone was big and strong but he became super strong in the bigs.

As crazy as it sounds... after giving it some thought the Malone comparison is actually viable in some aspects.
I've been very high on Perry all season long and I truly believe he has all-star potential.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM

Post#3265 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:40 am

Read on Twitter

One of the Raptors targets.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,722

Post#3266 » by Syd-TK3 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:10 am

Certain parts of the video almost look sped up, but he moves real fast got a nice looking quick handle, put on a bit of size and the shot looks improved
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,375

Post#3267 » by TorontoRapsFan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:28 am

:droop: nbadraft.net dropped Wiseman to no 9 pick. 20 more to go :droop:
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3268 » by Psubs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:47 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Psubs wrote:

As crazy as it sounds... after giving it some thought the Malone comparison is actually viable in some aspects.
I've been very high on Perry all season long and I truly believe he has all-star potential.

It's the passing that makes it a viable comparison. Seems like he has good bball IQ.

Even if he averages 14 ppg and gets 8 rebs, 3 assists and 1 block that would be a solid get as a future C that may be able to shoot 33% from 3.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,639

Post#3269 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:08 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Read on Twitter

One of the Raptors targets.

Would love to get him. Reminds me something of Myles Turner but I just can't see the Celtics letting him slip by both of their picks before ours when they desperately need another big and he would be a nice fit there tbh.

But damn that would suck too if the Heat loaded up on their bigs like that then would actually have some pretty good depth all around. Both MIA and BOS have good mgmt so not looking forward to them improving too lol
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: WembGod - Face of the NBA Universe
Names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3270 » by Psubs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:18 pm

I wouldn't mind if RJ Hampton dropped to #29. :D

He's like a Dante Exum prospect, hopefully with better health.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,438

Post#3271 » by Dalek » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:29 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:
Certain parts of the video almost look sped up, but he moves real fast got a nice looking quick handle, put on a bit of size and the shot looks improved

Woah. Dotson has gotten a lot bulkier and nice to see him dunking the ball. If his outside shot is more reliable he could be a steal in the second round. Just, can't help but judge him on that first outfit in the video -- those blue shorts and tank look like he came to play pick-up at Kits Beach.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM

Post#3272 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Dalek
RealGM

Post#3273 » by Dalek » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:17 pm

Read on Twitter

Given how weird the year will be for development of prospects, I think Toronto might lean towards more high floor prospects that they don't have to manage as much as they have previously. Tolzman even says they are targetting rotation level so this doesn't sound like they are looking at projects (sorry Josh Hall).

Rotation level player at 29 could be a plug and play option:
Tyler Bey (back-up SF/PF like RHJ ; basically can defend 1-5 at Raps high level)
Killian Tillie (a PF Marc Gasol that is the best stretch four in the class)
Malachi Flynn (FVV lite with his high IQ and solid skill he is just a baller)
Devon Dotson (Lowry lite type of chaos maker with his speed and defense)

At 59:
Ty-Shon Alexander (POA defender like Pat McCaw with much better shooting)
Nick Richards (Chris Boucher with strength and better rim running)

Strong indication Toronto will look at the undrafted market (Nathan Knight - replace Hernandez should they bail on him, Markus Howard-brother plays for 905 plus they need a PG).

I'd be happy with Flynn and Richards as you have a good combo in pick and roll straightaway. Both will defend at a high level, and know their roles well.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,740

Post#3274 » by mademan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:15 pm

I know fit issues and all, but Malachi Flynn is a baller. I think the Lakers take him, but if he drops, he's the pick. He's a bigger FVV (tho still kinda small)
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,787

Post#3275 » by DG88 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:19 pm

Dalek wrote:
Read on Twitter

Given how weird the year will be for development of prospects, I think Toronto might lean towards more high floor prospects that they don't have to manage as much as they have previously. Tolzman even says they are targetting rotation level so this doesn't sound like they are looking at projects (sorry Josh Hall).

Tyler Bey (back-up SF/PF like RHJ ; basically can defend 1-5 at Raps high level)

At 59:

Strong indication Toronto will look at the undrafted market (Nathan Knight - replace Hernandez should they bail on him, Markus Howard-brother plays for 905 plus they need a PG).

I'd be happy with Flynn and Richards as you have a good combo in pick and roll straightaway. Both will defend at a high level, and know their roles well.

Based upon what Tolzman is saying they aren't looking for a project type player but someone who can contribute with both their draft picks. If that's the case I think we use both picks to select and guard and a big. What's also telling is the undrafted FA market is going to be big this year as players will slip. This is where having the 905 is huge for us. We can find those project players and develop them in our system for a few years and pipe them through to the NBA level once they're ready.

For me right now I think at 29 we take Malachi Flynn and at 59 I want a big of some sort. You mentioned Nick Richards who is intriguing.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#3276 » by Dalek » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:20 pm

mademan wrote:I know fit issues and all, but Malachi Flynn is a baller. I think the Lakers take him, but if he drops, he's the pick. He's a bigger FVV (tho still kinda small)

He is such a solid player whose game should translate to the NBA. The issue is he is basically FVV which means you get a ton of high level things, but in the end, he is not a top tier starter.

That is the thing with most guards in this class. They all talk about FVV, Lowry and Chris Paul as who they model their game after, which means to say they aren't guys that are going to blow you away with athletic ability. NBA starting PGs either are athletic marvels or have a bit of size and can shoot at a high level. The higher tier guards have that, but the second tier ones have some obvious flaws that limit their ceiling.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#3277 » by Dalek » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:02 pm

DG88 wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Read on Twitter

At 59:

Based upon what Tolzman is saying they aren't looking for a project type player but someone who can contribute with both their draft picks. If that's the case I think we use both picks to select and guard and a big. What's also telling is the undrafted FA market is going to be big this year as players will slip. This is where having the 905 is huge for us. We can find those project players and develop them in our system for a few years and pipe them through to the NBA level once they're ready.

For me right now I think at 29 we take Malachi Flynn and at 59 I want a big of some sort. You mentioned Nick Richards who is intriguing.

While it may be only a bench role, having a Flynn and Richards pick and roll will cause problems for teams. I'd also be open to Cassius Winston at 29 because he is a more proven shooter and has a bigger wingspan, but like Flynn he is a solid back-up. I could see Toronto lean toward Flynn because his defensive analytics look more solid.

The 905 is definitely where Toronto shows the most value for undrafted guys. We have had a lot of success developing guys there, so I am curious who drops to Toronto. I'd be laughing if Josh Hall or Karim Mane goes undrafted. Toronto would be perfect to develop them both.
GM89
Sophomore
And1: 203

Post#3278 » by GM89 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:06 pm

Dalek wrote:
mademan wrote:I know fit issues and all, but Malachi Flynn is a baller. I think the Lakers take him, but if he drops, he's the pick. He's a bigger FVV (tho still kinda small)

He is such a solid player whose game should translate to the NBA. The issue is he is basically FVV which means you get a ton of high level things, but in the end, he is not a top tier starter.

That is the thing with most guards in this class. They all talk about FVV, Lowry and Chris Paul as who they model their game after, which means to say they aren't guys that are going to blow you away with athletic ability. NBA starting PGs either are athletic marvels or have a bit of size and can shoot at a high level. The higher tier guards have that, but the second tier ones have some obvious flaws that limit their ceiling.

This might be an unpopular opinion but I rather have a 2nd FVV than Norman Powell.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,040

Post#3279 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:14 pm

DG88 wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Read on Twitter

At 59:

Based upon what Tolzman is saying they aren't looking for a project type player but someone who can contribute with both their draft picks.

I watched the full interview, what part gave you that impression?
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#3280 » by Indeed » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:28 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
DG88 wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Read on Twitter

At 59:

Based upon what Tolzman is saying they aren't looking for a project type player but someone who can contribute with both their draft picks.

I watched the full interview, what part gave you that impression?

Good to know there is a full video for the interview, so I am just going to post it here.
And regarding who we are drafting, the question was bought up at 10:00

Return to Toronto Raptors