ImageImageImageImageImage

With better development could Pascal have become another Giannis?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, HiJiNX, niQ, Reeko, lebron stopper

bon
General Manager
And1: 13,429

Re: With better development could Pascal have become another Giannis? 

Post#41 » by bon » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:08 am

Nah Pascal needed to take whatever Giannis was taking to get huge in 2 seasons lol
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,831

Post#42 » by Steelo Green » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:38 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:Pascal is not a top 30 player in the NBA.

Look at all the teams in the NBA, you can find one, if not two, some even three better players on each than Pascal. It’s sad but it’s the reality. Had he kept the same growth he had his MIP season and to start the 2020 season then sure, but his raw stats being good aren’t a great argument.

His D has taken a step back, he has a pretty bad attitude and doesn’t take this as seriously as he should (spats with coaches, being sat for discipline, not practicing during COVID after getting paid), and very mediocre efficiency.

lol you're right terrence ross is definitely better than siakam. :lol:

Funny. Isaac is their best player, but yes let’s take it like that and ignore the fact that it’s true.

I should have added nearly every NBA team but given some have 3 better players I thought the math would have been simple.

Great deflection tactic for our mediocre best player.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,831

Post#43 » by Steelo Green » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:45 am

Pascal literally played COD for four months and has had so many behavioural issues.

Again - people see why they want to see and brush things under the rug.

Ah well. Next year when we are a bad team again, people will have new and not so clever excuses.
LJKO
RealGM
And1: 16,364

Post#44 » by LJKO » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:36 am

I said this before and i'll say it again, Giannis need a better supporting cast around him and a coach that is not stupid like Bud. No matter what you add if you have Middleton as your No.2 option you aint getting no where.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,500

Post#45 » by Chandan » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:47 am

agkagk wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:
agkagk wrote:Giannis might be the greatest pure athlete in the history of the league….. maybe in the entire history of North American sports.

They’re two totally different animals.

Lol Wilt says, move over punk... let me know when Giannis breaks ONE of wilts 80+ NBA all time records....

Um i was referencing giannis’ overall athleticism not his proficiency as scoring.

Also that was the 70es, wilt was playing Against a bunch of white dudes who would be considered out of shape by ymca standards today

sir this is a wendy's drive thru.
D.Brasco
RealGM
And1: 9,759

Post#46 » by D.Brasco » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:58 pm

bon wrote:Nah Pascal needed to take whatever Giannis was taking to get huge in 2 seasons lol

Raptors should hire the guys who helped build Giannis body, he went from KD to bigger than Dwight.

DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,454

Post#47 » by DelAbbot » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:37 pm

His game went from KD-lite to Dwight as well.

If Siakam buffed up like that he would look and play like Anthony Mason.

D.Brasco wrote:
bon wrote:Nah Pascal needed to take whatever Giannis was taking to get huge in 2 seasons lol

Raptors should hire the guys who helped build Giannis body, he went from KD to bigger than Dwight.

tradejosehesux
Starter
And1: 3,863

Post#48 » by tradejosehesux » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:24 pm

Raptors are pretty much the gold standard for player development. Not sure wtf OP is talking about?
PT416
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,243

Post#49 » by PT416 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:29 pm

D.Brasco wrote:

Then they might just have to hire Giannis. I feel like most NBA players have access to the same quality of trainers Giannis had, but you need that mindset and consistency to get the job done. Giannis has the Mamba mentality, no doubt about it. And Pascal is slowly starting to give me that lazy, carefree Raptors Vince Carter vibe.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,842

Post#50 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:30 pm

Do you mean an 8th year veteran who shoots 30% from deep?

Yeah, but his "baggage" is the Larry O'Brien trophy.
libertyYYZ
Pro Prospect
And1: 765

Post#51 » by libertyYYZ » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:32 pm

D.Brasco wrote:People may remember when Pascal had that "breakout" period early in the 2020 season. Where he put up 25, 9, 4 on 46% fg 38% 3 over his first 20 games and people were saying he was actually putting up better numbers than Giannis at that same point in his career.

That didn't last long but could it have? Could Pascal with better guidance and training have really broken out the way Giannis did following his 4th season.

In terms of development, Pascal is a MUCH better basketball player and MORE HIGHLY skilled than Giannis. Giannis is just longer and springier, but has way more skill weaknesses and has way less refined basketball skills. Unusual length and athelticism are rare enough that some voters in the past have considered him to be the regular season MVP. The playoffs have been a different story. Of course nobody can teach length or athelticism.

Now from a basketball value perspective, they're both tremendously valuable, but for different reasons. Both can be game-planned against and need other skilled players around them to unlock some facets of their game through better floor spacing.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -- Michael Jordan
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,759

Post#52 » by Shaazzam » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:34 pm

No. Giannis is what I imagine Wilt was back in the day.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,475

Post#53 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:02 am

DelAbbot wrote:His game went from KD-lite to Dwight as well.

If Siakam buffed up like that he would look and play like Anthony Mason.

D.Brasco wrote:

No of fence, but I'm genuinely curious what drugs and alcohol you were consuming when you said Gianna's played like Dwight Howard? Hope you are well.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
2019nbachamps
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,913

Post#54 » by 2019nbachamps » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:55 pm

Not sure why sports fans obsess over the physiques of athletes. Giannis’ job is to put the ball in the hoop, not to win Mr Olympia. When he entered the league all we heard was KD needs to put on muscle. I think his career has turned out OK.

Player success comes in all shapes and sizes. Giannis and Siakam have other issues they need to address to improve their games.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,941

Post#55 » by metafisical » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:15 pm

He had the potential, but not the will to get better especially during the lockdown. If I were coaching him my regimen for him would be: if he improves, he gets 10 baseball bat beatings. If he stays the same, 50 beatings. If he gets worse, 100 beatings. A logical person would choose to get better.

I would do this every day. Maybe every hour. No doctors allowed. Old school. He would be better than Giannis in 1 week. Trust me.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories.
nobay
Sophomore
And1: 116

Post#56 » by nobay » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:59 am

No. Not on the same stratosphere of potential.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,803

Post#57 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:00 am

double post
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,803

Post#58 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:03 am

agkagk wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:
agkagk wrote:Giannis might be the greatest pure athlete in the history of the league….. maybe in the entire history of North American sports.

They’re two totally different animals.

Lol Wilt says, move over punk... let me know when Giannis breaks ONE of wilts 80+ NBA all time records....

Um i was referencing giannis’ overall athleticism not his proficiency as scoring.

Also that was the 70s, wilt was playing Against a bunch of white dudes who would be considered out of shape by ymca standards today

Wilt played in the 60s and 70s, often when there were 8 or 9 teams. So he played Bill Russell several times a year, and other black HOF centers like Willis Reed, Wayne Embry, Nate Thurmond, then later young Lew Alcindor, Bob Lanier, Dave Cowens (athletic white player).

Once when jostling for position on an inbounds near the basket, Wilt picked up young Bob Lanier, 6'11 280 or so, by the shoulders with feet off the ground and moved him away. Lanier later said something like, I knew Wilt was the baddest when he picked me up here and put me down over there.

But yes he played against some not so athletic white guys too, in the very early 60s, before the influx of black players. But Russell and Chamberlain were both high level NCAA track athletes in college, in high jump and other events. They were athletic freaks.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
6ixSideSniper
Head Coach
And1: 11,585

Post#59 » by 6ixSideSniper » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:26 am

Pascal was expected to be Amir Johnson 2.0, I’m pretty sure the Raptors did alright with his development.
What about DeRozan dawg?!?!

2018-2019 NBA CHAMPIONS

Rest In Peace The_Hater
D.Brasco
RealGM
And1: 9,759

Post#60 » by D.Brasco » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:30 pm

Seeing the leaps Giannis took within just this one playoffs, can we perhaps still see Pascal take it up another level? Giannis and Pascal are virtually the same age.

Return to Toronto Raptors