ImageImageImageImageImage

All-NBA Announced

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, HiJiNX, niQ, Reeko, lebron stopper

Badonkadonk
General Manager
And1: 11,990

Re: All-NBA Announced 

Post#41 » by Badonkadonk » Thu May 23, 2024 2:52 pm

Supermax players will be making $80M/yr and ppl here will still be complaining that guys making the MLE. Reminds me of my dad thinking jeans still cost $30.
Spida888
Starter
And1: 1,620

Post#42 » by Spida888 » Thu May 23, 2024 3:26 pm

That's some insane cash. Regarding Shai, yes he will definitely re-sign in OKC if that is offered, but there's a chance he may get traded down the road when that team starts getting expensive. OKC is a small market team and may not want to pay the tax for multiple years. We'll see though.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 34,191

Post#43 » by Reeko » Thu May 23, 2024 3:26 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Reeko wrote:
ruckus wrote:
Lol. Shows how much attention i pay to these awards.

I had no idea and I thought it was a good question, so I looked it up. Jesus, thinking about it now with Wemby, next year it could be 5 international guys on the 1st team potentially.

The US hasn't really been able to replace the old superstar guard - Lebron, KD, Curry, Kawhi.

Tatum and Edwards are really good and they have the potential to be consistent 1st teamers moving forward, but after that you're down to guys like Hali, Booker, Holiday, Bam, Mitchell, AD, Brown etc who are clearly a notch below the superstar level. Maybe it's just too high of a bar to reach again.

More and more there's talk about the USA having to take a good look at their grass roots programs, and questions about the AAU culture that's been set over the last 20 years.

Another way of looking at it is that with the globalization of the game and other countries closing the gap, it's really the USA vs the field. So when you look at it from that perspective, the reality is that the chances of the rest of the world producing the top talent is just mathematically much higher.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 45,782

Post#44 » by WuTang_OG » Thu May 23, 2024 3:33 pm

Reeko wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
Reeko wrote:I had no idea and I thought it was a good question, so I looked it up. Jesus, thinking about it now with Wemby, next year it could be 5 international guys on the 1st team potentially.

The US hasn't really been able to replace the old superstar guard - Lebron, KD, Curry, Kawhi.

Tatum and Edwards are really good and they have the potential to be consistent 1st teamers moving forward, but after that you're down to guys like Hali, Booker, Holiday, Bam, Mitchell, AD, Brown etc who are clearly a notch below the superstar level. Maybe it's just too high of a bar to reach again.

More and more there's talk about the USA having to take a good look at their grass roots programs, and questions about the AAU culture that's been set over the last 20 years.

Another way of looking at it is that with the globalization of the game and other countries closing the gap, it's really the USA vs the field. So when you look at it from that perspective, the reality is that the chances of the rest of the world producing the top talent is just mathematically much higher.

It really is simple math. European schools/academies have school in the morning and then practice all afternoon. AAU is mostly games. The players aren't getting the right fundamentals and proper practice that they need to grow properly. That adds up over time which is why international players have caught up in the last decade. The margin will only get smaller
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,555

Post#45 » by JB7 » Thu May 23, 2024 3:50 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
dagger wrote:I laugh whenever I look at the Timberwolves salary situation for next season. ANT making all-NBA means another $42-million salary to go with Rudy and KAT. That's almost an entire salary cap for three guys, plus McDaniels, Reid and Connolly. That ownership situation is up in the air facing a massive luxury tax bill

KAT's getting traded imo.

Seems like it. Would Randle & picks from the Knicks be enough to move KAT to NYK?
ThatClockWork
Veteran
And1: 1,928

Post#46 » by ThatClockWork » Thu May 23, 2024 4:34 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:Jayson over Jalen is some bs. this year Brunson was unquestionably the better player.

Even Ant deserved 1st team over Tatum. Brunson got robbed for revitalizing the Knicks (extremely difficult to do for several reasons).
Barack Obama wrote:You can’t lose heart, or grow cynical if there are twists and turns on your journey. The cynics may be the loudest voices — but I promise you, they will accomplish the least.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,674

Post#47 » by dagger » Thu May 23, 2024 4:38 pm

JB7 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
dagger wrote:I laugh whenever I look at the Timberwolves salary situation for next season. ANT making all-NBA means another $42-million salary to go with Rudy and KAT. That's almost an entire salary cap for three guys, plus McDaniels, Reid and Connolly. That ownership situation is up in the air facing a massive luxury tax bill

KAT's getting traded imo.

Seems like it. Would Randle & picks from the Knicks be enough to move KAT to NYK?

No, not in my opinion. Next year, Randle is getting $30 million, Towns about $50 million, and even if you play with contracts like Bogdanovic, it doesn't offer the Wolves much value. New York's picks aren't that good. Also while NYK would presumably be ready to pay some tax, when you consider a new contract for OG and a decent backup C (Hartenstein is going to command a near MLE) it gets difficult. Maybe add in diVincenzo or Mitchell Robinson, and it starts to get interesting. But the goal has to be for Minnesota to substantially reduce its payroll in moving KAT, and that suggests a third team has to be involved, and compensated for its use of cap space. KAT in Atlanta would be interesting with Trae and Murray, as part of a deal to get Minny the first overall pick and some financial relief. Maybe the first, Capela, Bufkin, Bogdan Bogdonavic. That's some cap relief this coming season, more next season, gives them a cheap backup PG who can be mentored by Conley, and possibly a new big like Sarr who can be mentored by Rudy.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Rapsin6
Pro Prospect
And1: 946

Post#48 » by Rapsin6 » Thu May 23, 2024 6:43 pm

The only teams to have 2 players were 6th and 7th seed Phoenix and Lakers. I’m tired of NBA ramming over the hill KD and Lebron as still top players down our throats. Donovan Mitchell was really good this year, KAT awesome, Jalen Brown not there is weird. Watch Lebron play and he’s not great anymore. Lots of turnovers and ref help and effortless defence.
"Ball"
MiamiSPX
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,602

Post#49 » by MiamiSPX » Thu May 23, 2024 7:14 pm

CPT wrote:Pretty good selections and placement. I don't see any major snubs unless I'm just blanking on someone. I'm also glad the teams mostly resemble a plausible lineup - not a fan of going purely positionless, even though I understand why that is the trend.

The weird thing with the All-NBA honours and extensions (if I understand correctly, which is doubtful) is we would be in much better shape if Scottie doesn't make an All-NBA team before his extension kicks in. I think we're pretty safe there, but it does create a strange situation where team and player incentives are at odds.

There has to be a way to reward players for these achievements without punishing teams, while still maintaining competitive balance.

To be honest, just a shift back to "who are the best 15 players in the league?" from "Team A won 60 games, so they should get X slots" could help in that regard. Would love to see that for All-Star selections as well.

Tim Bontemps was on record as saying he was going to vote for Haliburton just because of the effort he put into still playing through the injury. If you look at Haliburton's last 25-30 games, those were not worth of this selection. So good for Tim for rewarding the player, but ultimately Indy gets hurt by this lol. Like you said, this system is now designed where I bet teams are probably hoping like hell their guys do not get named to this.

I hate to go to bat for them because like any self-respecting Raps fan, I despise the Celtics.....but they are going to be financially crippled soon (cap-wise) due to the 2 supermax contracts to the Jays. That is not right when you consider the Cs drafted and developed both of them.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#50 » by Scase » Thu May 23, 2024 7:51 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:Supermax players will be making $80M/yr and ppl here will still be complaining that guys making the MLE. Reminds me of my dad thinking jeans still cost $30.

MiamiSPX wrote:
CPT wrote:Pretty good selections and placement. I don't see any major snubs unless I'm just blanking on someone. I'm also glad the teams mostly resemble a plausible lineup - not a fan of going purely positionless, even though I understand why that is the trend.

The weird thing with the All-NBA honours and extensions (if I understand correctly, which is doubtful) is we would be in much better shape if Scottie doesn't make an All-NBA team before his extension kicks in. I think we're pretty safe there, but it does create a strange situation where team and player incentives are at odds.

There has to be a way to reward players for these achievements without punishing teams, while still maintaining competitive balance.

To be honest, just a shift back to "who are the best 15 players in the league?" from "Team A won 60 games, so they should get X slots" could help in that regard. Would love to see that for All-Star selections as well.

Tim Bontemps was on record as saying he was going to vote for Haliburton just because of the effort he put into still playing through the injury. If you look at Haliburton's last 25-30 games, those were not worth of this selection. So good for Tim for rewarding the player, but ultimately Indy gets hurt by this lol. Like you said, this system is now designed where I bet teams are probably hoping like hell their guys do not get named to this.

I hate to go to bat for them because like any self-respecting Raps fan, I despise the Celtics.....but they are going to be financially crippled soon (cap-wise) due to the 2 supermax contracts to the Jays. That is not right when you consider the Cs drafted and developed both of them.

I don't know how they fix it, but they have got to do something to help teams retain their drafted players. Maybe drafted players can be offered super maxes if eligible, but the $$ above the cost of a regular max don't count towards the cap?

They tried to fix things like the GSW/Durant super team, and they seemingly just made it harder for teams to retain their drafted talent.
Props TZ!
JB7
Analyst

Post#51 » by JB7 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:13 pm

Scase wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:Supermax players will be making $80M/yr and ppl here will still be complaining that guys making the MLE. Reminds me of my dad thinking jeans still cost $30.

MiamiSPX wrote:

I don't know how they fix it, but they have got to do something to help teams retain their drafted players. Maybe drafted players can be offered super maxes if eligible, but the $$ above the cost of a regular max don't count towards the cap?

They tried to fix things like the GSW/Durant super team, and they seemingly just made it harder for teams to retain their drafted talent.

Owners I would think love this new system, because it gives them the perfect excuse to keep payroll intact, and keep the profits rolling in.

I doubt they put anything forward that allows them to blow past it again.
JB7
Analyst

Post#52 » by JB7 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:15 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:

I would think any of the voters who require some form of access to the players are going to want to do right by them, and make sure their votes aren't costing the players money.
Scase
RealGM

Post#53 » by Scase » Thu May 23, 2024 8:27 pm

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:

MiamiSPX wrote:

Owners I would think love this new system, because it gives them the perfect excuse to keep payroll intact, and keep the profits rolling in.

Yeah no doubt, but man does it ever suck for the fans.
Props TZ!
JB7
Analyst

Post#54 » by JB7 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:30 pm

Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:Image

It sucks for the fans of the team that has accumulated a lot of talent (like OKC). It doesn't suck for fans of other teams that might get that talent, as OKC is forced to move players to stay below the lux tax
Scase
RealGM

Post#55 » by Scase » Thu May 23, 2024 10:44 pm

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:

It sucks for the fans of the team that has accumulated a lot of talent (like OKC). It doesn't suck for fans of other teams that might get that talent, as OKC is forced to move players to stay below the lux tax

It sucks for all fans really, since you can never have a team with any consistency. The team that acquires that player is still under the same constraints of losing that player the next time UFA rolls around and they can't afford them. It sucks for all teams because the likelihood of having a lifer on your team that is also a really good player dramatically decreases, which overall is bad for the franchise.

Dirk, MJ, Timmy D, etc are all synonymous with their respective teams, because they are great players, and they stayed there their entire careers. Lebron is arguably the 2nd in the GOAT convo, and he's "just" lebron. That doesn't benefit any team/franchise/fanbase long term.

The greats for their respective teams, are a huge part of their identity. Having the whole league play musical chairs makes that a much more difficult process.
Props TZ!
JB7
Analyst

Post#56 » by JB7 » Thu May 23, 2024 11:19 pm

Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:Yeah no doubt, but man does it ever suck for the fans.

It sucks for all fans really, since you can never have a team with any consistency. The team that acquires that player is still under the same constraints of losing that player the next time UFA rolls around and they can't afford them. It sucks for all teams because the likelihood of having a lifer on your team that is also a really good player dramatically decreases, which overall is bad for the franchise.

Dirk, MJ, Timmy D, etc are all synonymous with their respective teams, because they are great players, and they stayed there their entire careers. Lebron is arguably the 2nd in the GOAT convo, and he's "just" lebron. That doesn't benefit any team/franchise/fanbase long term.

The greats for their respective teams, are a huge part of their identity. Having the whole league play musical chairs makes that a much more difficult process.

The great players won’t move, unless they ask out, like Shai. It will be the players around him that move. The problem becomes if the team is not competitive enough, then the great player may ask out.

But that is no different than the game today. LeBron is on his 4th team. I think the rarity of a player staying with one team ended when Dirk & Timmy retired.
Scase
RealGM

Post#57 » by Scase » Thu May 23, 2024 11:38 pm

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:

The great players won’t move, unless they ask out, like Shai. It will be the players around him that move. The problem becomes if the team is not competitive enough, then the great player may ask out.

But that is no different than the game today. LeBron is on his 4th team. I think the rarity of a player staying with one team ended when Dirk & Timmy retired.

Yeah maybe you're right, I guess I'm just not looking forward to a team with no real identity outside a jersey.
Props TZ!
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,197

Post#58 » by CPT » Fri May 24, 2024 1:01 am

Rapsin6 wrote:The only teams to have 2 players were 6th and 7th seed Phoenix and Lakers. I’m tired of NBA ramming over the hill KD and Lebron as still top players down our throats. Donovan Mitchell was really good this year, KAT awesome, Jalen Brown not there is weird. Watch Lebron play and he’s not great anymore. Lots of turnovers and ref help and effortless defence.

KD and Lebron are still better than Mitchell (didn't qualify, btw), KAT, and Brown.
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 933

Post#59 » by disoblige » Fri May 24, 2024 1:10 am

Embiid must be crying.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,197

Post#60 » by CPT » Fri May 24, 2024 1:11 am

The supermax will never stop a team from keeping its drafted supermax players.

What it might do is stop a team with two drafted supermax players from also loading up on All-Star/near All-Star players like Holiday, Porzingis, and White.

This is good, actually.

I would entertain the idea of only having one supermax slot per team, but I think it gets too complicated once trades and different levels (first extension vs second) are taken into consideration.

Return to Toronto Raptors