ImageImageImageImageImage

Both of our PGs are playing badly

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Raptors90102
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#41 » by Raptors90102 » Tue Mar 4, 2008 4:51 pm

raptorsfan1985 wrote:TJ is struggling because hes playing with the likes of Grahm, Hump, Delfino, and Kapono.

But didnt Jose play with the same guys when he was coming off the bench?
raptorsfan1985
Junior
And1: 26

Post#42 » by raptorsfan1985 » Tue Mar 4, 2008 4:57 pm

Raptors90102 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

But didnt Jose play with the same guys when he was coming off the bench?

Yeah, so? My post has nothing to do with Jose.
Raptors90102
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#43 » by Raptors90102 » Tue Mar 4, 2008 5:46 pm

raptorsfan1985 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah, so? My post has nothing to do with Jose.

It had a lot to do with Jose. If Jose played well off the bench with the second unit, why can't TJ? There's no excuse for TJ's subpar bench play off late and Jose's pathetic play as a starter lately
thecc
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Both of our PGs are playing badly 

Post#44 » by thecc » Tue Mar 4, 2008 8:05 pm

supersub15 wrote:Both of our PGs are playing poorly

Fixed
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,958

Post#45 » by JN » Tue Mar 4, 2008 8:18 pm

Calderon was struggling in the few games before Bosh got injured as well. I wonder if he feels more pressure when TJ is looking over his shoulder, thinking he has to play well to keep his job.

After seeing how things went with one PG, this team just needs get a decent back up, and trade on of the two next season (hopefully TJ's value goes up, or BC takes the big risk and trades the player with more value)
Hanson_love
Banned User

Post#46 » by Hanson_love » Tue Mar 4, 2008 8:46 pm

Its time for jose to come off the bench and let the real point guard start.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#47 » by Yosemite Dan » Tue Mar 4, 2008 9:49 pm

Jose is just one of those players that thrives when he has no competition. It's usually the other way around but some players just feel more at ease when they aren't threatened. Carey Price from the Montreal Canadiens is another example of someone who's thriving now that Huet is gone to Washington. Maybe it's paranoia but no matter what spin he puts on interviews Jose feels he should be the permanent starting PG for this team. He may feel too much pressure that if he screws up then he goes back to the bench.

TJ, on the other hand, has a chip on his shoulder being one of the tiniest players in the league and feels he needs to compensate by trying to score at every opportunity to show size doesn't matter. Add to that he is now backing up Jose he's got a bigger chip on his shoulder and wants to show everyone that he should start by trying to act like Iverson.

Therefore you have a tentative Jose and shot crazy Ford which is hurting the team immensely. Don't beleive what either of them say publicly, they both think they should be starting. This partnership was bound to fail sooner or later but it seemed to happen sooner because of Ford's injury. I can't remember any duo like these two playing the same position who both should be starting and being happy about it very long. it can't work in basketball. It's like having 2 equal QB's on a team and letting them each play a half every week. It just can't work, it's human nature to feel threatened when your livlehood is at stake and future earnings.

Restating Ford as starter won't reverse it because Jose has in it his head that he's not a backup. For this to work now one of them has to be traded which is still difficult because Ford longterm is iffy but he has no trade value so we get much more for Jose but would anybody feel comfortable letting him go and holding our breath everytime Ford falls down.
raptorsfan1985
Junior
And1: 26

Post#48 » by raptorsfan1985 » Tue Mar 4, 2008 10:07 pm

We should get rid of both and get an average PG and an allstar SG or SF. That why we wil never have this problem again.
elephunk
Head Coach
And1: 1
Location: "Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. Media." - Noam Chomsky

Post#49 » by elephunk » Tue Mar 4, 2008 10:20 pm

Yosemite Dan wrote:Jose is just one of those players that thrives when he has no competition.

And how would you know this exactly? It could very well have been fatigue. One of the reasons why I initially thought that Jose was only a very good backup and not a PG who can play starters minutes was because I always thought he never would've had the stamina to produce for long minutes. Obviously, he's proven me and a lot of people wrong (BC included, I might add).

A big reason why Jose was so successful during TJ's absence was due to his ridiculous shooting. It would make more sense that he's in a slump if he were fatigued or hit a wall than be conscious of someone stealing playing time, hence the drop-off in his play.

After all, wasn't it Jose all along who reminded everyone through the media and his blog that this team needed TJ and that the extra minutes was taking somewhat of a toll on his body?
Obama did not shut down the practice of torture, but merely repositioned it, to the American norm. The torture regime of Ford through Clinton, year by year, produced more US-backed strapped-down agony than was produced during the Bush/Cheney years.
LINK
thecc
Banned User

Post#50 » by thecc » Tue Mar 4, 2008 11:15 pm

It really irks me when people like Jack Armstrong say that we have the best PG combo in the league. No we don't. Calderon is good, but not as good as his numbers (percentages, A/TO ratio) indicate. TJ can put the defense on their heels, but he is TERRIBLE at finishing around the basket. How many running layups has he missed in the last few games? He's not a great jump shooter either, esp. from long distance. He can make some impressive passes, but too often is careless with the ball.

Anyone who thinks we have the best PGs in the league doesn't watch many other teams. Even Calderon is not a top 5 PG, maybe not even a top 10.
ab40
Ballboy

Post#51 » by ab40 » Wed Mar 5, 2008 12:05 am

these are make or break weeks for bargiani

Return to Toronto Raptors