ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, HiJiNX, niQ, Reeko, lebron stopper

Spida888
Starter
And1: 1,618

Re: 2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0 

Post#521 » by Spida888 » Wed May 22, 2024 3:16 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
Asif16 wrote:I think Patrick Williams is a perfect fit to the core we have now. If it comes to choosing between Patrick Williams or Gary trent, I would go for Pat Williams. He's only 22yrs old.

Chicago still has to re-sign derozan. We can offer Pat Williams a decent contract that will put chicago on a bind

Bleacherreport predicted us signing Pat Williams to an offer-sheet

He is one of those guys that makes absolutely perfect sense in the summer;
If you get his first or third season health wise I think he is a perfect fit with the BBQ Dick core, but if you get seasons two or four health wise it becomes pretty rough pretty quick. I would risk it if we felt the Bulls wouldnt match.

I wouldn't mind going after PWill if we can work out a trade instead of making an RFA offer. We would have to let both Brown and Trent go to have a "chance" to bid on PWill in FA.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,487

Post#522 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed May 22, 2024 3:43 pm

Spida888 wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:
Asif16 wrote:I think Patrick Williams is a perfect fit to the core we have now. If it comes to choosing between Patrick Williams or Gary trent, I would go for Pat Williams. He's only 22yrs old.

Chicago still has to re-sign derozan. We can offer Pat Williams a decent contract that will put chicago on a bind

If you get his first or third season health wise I think he is a perfect fit with the BBQ Dick core, but if you get seasons two or four health wise it becomes pretty rough pretty quick. I would risk it if we felt the Bulls wouldnt match.

I wouldn't mind going after PWill if we can work out a trade instead of making an RFA offer. We would have to let both Brown and Trent go to have a "chance" to bid on PWill in FA.

True, I didn't even think about the Brown option being picked up.
Would need to be an S&T.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
billy_hoyle
Starter
And1: 1,288

Post#523 » by billy_hoyle » Wed May 22, 2024 3:59 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
Spida888 wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:

True, I didn't even think about the Brown option being picked up.
Would need to be an S&T.

Trade Brown into space for a future pick, or to move up in the draft. Convert him into cap space and draft capital, however marginal.

We'd safely have enough to resign GTJ (who is a UFA) in the event you don't get PWIII.

We only have bird rights for GTJ. That really isn't any different to having cap space if all we are doing is resigning him to a ~15-18m deal.

You're not really 'letting both go' when we don't actually have GTJ under contract.
ChillRelaxDude
Freshman
And1: 52

Post#525 » by ChillRelaxDude » Wed May 22, 2024 8:15 pm

I'm okay with us signing PWill, but I don't like the idea of signing him based on his age or the potential of him becoming a legitimate starter. I think any offer sheet should be sub-MLE, which makes signing him highly unlikely.

I just don't think he hasn't proven himself after four seasons and he's missed a lot of time. Paying him beyond what a 7th/8th man is making a risk I don't think will work in our favour. More likely to get better value re-signing Trent.
islandboy53
Bench Warmer
And1: 691

Post#526 » by islandboy53 » Wed May 22, 2024 9:07 pm

ChillRelaxDude wrote:

I'm okay with us signing PWill, but I don't like the idea of signing him based on his age or the potential of him becoming a legitimate starter. I think any offer sheet should be sub-MLE, which makes signing him highly unlikely.

I just don't think he hasn't proven himself after four seasons and he's missed a lot of time. Paying him beyond what a 7th/8th man is making a risk I don't think will work in our favour. More likely to get better value re-signing Trent.

Chicago offered Williams a 4 year/$64 million extension last fall which he turned down. That's a first year salary of about $14.5 million. He'll be looking for something starting at $20 million or more. I'm not comfortable investing that much in Williams, but someone like Detroit may be. My best guess for him is that no one gives him an offer sheet, and he ends up playing the year on his $13 million QO to become a UFA next year.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,712

Post#527 » by Dalek » Wed May 22, 2024 9:53 pm

If the Kings are unhappy with last season, they probably need to make some upgrades. I think they need a wing defender and a ball mover like Bruce Brown. I could see Harrison Barnes plus 2024 #13 for Brown and #31. They save money on Barnes long-term, and Brown gives them a different look. You squint your eyes, you could see Sabonis as a bargain bin Jokic and Brown has his best year with a playmaking big. Also with Brown he can be a back-up plan if they can't bring Monk back.

Toronto gets to draft 13 for the second year in a row. Plus, Harrison Barnes can be a solid veteran who can hit shots and play alongside Scottie Barnes at either PF or SF.
islandboy53
Bench Warmer
And1: 691

Post#528 » by islandboy53 » Wed May 22, 2024 10:37 pm

Dalek wrote:If the Kings are unhappy with last season, they probably need to make some upgrades. I think they need a wing defender and a ball mover like Bruce Brown. I could see Harrison Barnes plus 2024 #13 for Brown and #31. They save money on Barnes long-term, and Brown gives them a different look. You squint your eyes, you could see Sabonis as a bargain bin Jokic and Brown has his best year with a playmaking big. Also with Brown he can be a back-up plan if they can't bring Monk back.

Toronto gets to draft 13 for the second year in a row. Plus, Harrison Barnes can be a solid veteran who can hit shots and play alongside Scottie Barnes at either PF or SF.

This seems a bit generous on Sacramento's part, and I'd be satisfied with #13 for #19, or simply their 25 Portland 2nd.
ArthurVandelay
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,457

Post#529 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed May 22, 2024 11:36 pm

They agreed to smooth the new cap changes in gradually to avoid what happened in 2016 With KD and some of the worst contracts ever given out.

Cap will go up 10% per year vS one big jump
CazOnReal
Rookie
And1: 773

Post#530 » by CazOnReal » Wed May 22, 2024 11:58 pm

If I have to choose between two streaky shooters, i'll pick the one familiar with our system and isn't constantly injured and doesn't require us to pull off a successful offer sheet.
agkagk
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,010

Post#531 » by agkagk » Thu May 23, 2024 2:07 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:

They agreed to smooth the new cap changes in gradually to avoid what happened in 2016 With KD and some of the worst contracts ever given out.

Thanks for clarifying.

10% per year over 5 years — whats the cap now — 142 …?

Still 14.2 in year one, then around 16.5, 17.2, 18.4, 20ish

Thats smart of the league to do it that way. Kinda bs for the players, but the gm’s historically have shown they need to be protected from themselves lol
billy_hoyle
Starter
And1: 1,288

Post#532 » by billy_hoyle » Thu May 23, 2024 2:18 am

agkagk wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

Thanks for clarifying.

Thats smart of the league to do it that way. Kinda bs for the players, but the gm’s historically have shown they need to be protected from themselves lol

Would the players not just be guaranteed a check that covers the 50% revenue split? I'm not sure how that gets divided, but I'm betting it gets put into the pension plan (saves players from themselves).
agkagk
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,010

Post#533 » by agkagk » Thu May 23, 2024 2:28 am

billy_hoyle wrote:
agkagk wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

Thanks for clarifying.

Would the players not just be guaranteed a check that covers the 50% revenue split? I'm not sure how that gets divided, but I'm betting it gets put into the pension plan (saves players from themselves).

Ya that was exactly my next thought.

Players must be getting some kind of deferment, no?
TGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 802

Post#534 » by TGM » Thu May 23, 2024 6:23 am

Outside of a Jalen Smiht or Melton, don't see any urgency to go out and sign players. Some teams are going to swing for the FA stars and the over the cap teams have little to play with. If we just hold out. There will be a bunch of guys deserving mid teens but end up willing totake low teens or even high single digits. Trent opting in last year to his player option was the perfect example. My guess is Trent goes for like 4 years 60 million tops and has a high chance resigning with us. Guys like Malik Monk, Klay, OG will all get overpaid for sure. I wouldn't be surprised someone like Philly or the Magic just come out of no where and offer OG like a 2+1 for 40-45 million. Swapping Tobias for an OG is a huge upgrade for them.

Trent and Brown great trade chips even Boucher to some extent. Over the tax teams can only offer 5 million for the MLE. There for S&T is a high scenario for someone like Trent. Same goes for Brown. His salary size is easy to match and he is definitely a MLE maybe slightly higher type of player in the 12-15 million a season range. He is 28 so trading for him and his bird rights is highly attractive for playoff contenders looking to upgrade their depth or at the wing.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,623

Post#535 » by Asif16 » Thu May 23, 2024 3:13 pm

There's health issues with PWILL for sure but I mean, we're a rebuilding team now who's looking to add more core pieces around Scottie.

Patrick Williams is a perfect 3+D fit, with room to improve being only 22yrs old.

Maybe with our medical team, we have better luck with PWILL. I don't like calling a 22yr old injury prone because it's still such a young age to call someone that
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,700

Post#536 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu May 23, 2024 3:59 pm

Asif16 wrote:There's health issues with PWILL for sure but I mean, we're a rebuilding team now who's looking to add more core pieces around Scottie.

Patrick Williams is a perfect 3+D fit, with room to improve being only 22yrs old.

Maybe with our medical team, we have better luck with PWILL. I don't like calling a 22yr old injury prone because it's still such a young age to call someone that

I honestly don't mind looking into acquiring P-Will but there's a lot of complications there. He's often injured, has not shown consistency/growth in his game and is likely going to require an overpay to get Chicago to not match...unless Chi really doesn't care about losing him, which doesn't make sense. Why lose an asset for nothing, right?

If they're willing to consider a S&T of Trent for Williams then I'm game. But if not then I'm not sure it's worth it for us to tie up the little capspace we could have waiting on the Bulls to decide what they're doing about Williams.

We need a wing though so if it's not Williams on a reasonable deal, then we should be looking at grabbing Hunter from the Hawks along with the SAC 2025 FRP.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,310

Post#537 » by PoundTown » Thu May 23, 2024 4:35 pm

TGM wrote:Outside of a Jalen Smiht or Melton, don't see any urgency to go out and sign players. Some teams are going to swing for the FA stars and the over the cap teams have little to play with. If we just hold out. There will be a bunch of guys deserving mid teens but end up willing totake low teens or even high single digits. Trent opting in last year to his player option was the perfect example. My guess is Trent goes for like 4 years 60 million tops and has a high chance resigning with us. Guys like Malik Monk, Klay, OG will all get overpaid for sure. I wouldn't be surprised someone like Philly or the Magic just come out of no where and offer OG like a 2+1 for 40-45 million. Swapping Tobias for an OG is a huge upgrade for them.

Trent and Brown great trade chips even Boucher to some extent. Over the tax teams can only offer 5 million for the MLE. There for S&T is a high scenario for someone like Trent. Same goes for Brown. His salary size is easy to match and he is definitely a MLE maybe slightly higher type of player in the 12-15 million a season range. He is 28 so trading for him and his bird rights is highly attractive for playoff contenders looking to upgrade their depth or at the wing.

I think Caleb Martin or Haywood Highsmith for right price could be great signings. Sadiq Bey is also intriguing. Really depends how much we want to win next year though, or if we think another low pick is the way to go and one more strong development year.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,712

Post#538 » by Dalek » Thu May 23, 2024 5:40 pm

islandboy53 wrote:
Dalek wrote:If the Kings are unhappy with last season, they probably need to make some upgrades. I think they need a wing defender and a ball mover like Bruce Brown. I could see Harrison Barnes plus 2024 #13 for Brown and #31. They save money on Barnes long-term, and Brown gives them a different look. You squint your eyes, you could see Sabonis as a bargain bin Jokic and Brown has his best year with a playmaking big. Also with Brown he can be a back-up plan if they can't bring Monk back.

This seems a bit generous on Sacramento's part, and I'd be satisfied with #13 for #19, or simply their 25 Portland 2nd.

We are taking on extra salary years on Barnes and he is older, so we assume greater obligations. Also, there is a market for Brown so FRP in 2024 is his value.
CazOnReal
Rookie
And1: 773

Post#539 » by CazOnReal » Thu May 23, 2024 9:41 pm

Dalek wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

We are taking on extra salary years on Barnes and he is older, so we assume greater obligations. Also, there is a market for Brown so FRP in 2024 is his value.

Here's the problem with the Kings as a salary dump trade partner: The Sacramento Kings did this same thing last year to shed Richaun Holmes albatross of a contract, and this was in a much better draft class albeit with a much worse pick despite having a similar win/loss record overall and with Holmes being the definition of a bad contract whereas the other contracts on the Kings books are not as atrocious.

Asif16 wrote:There's health issues with PWILL for sure but I mean, we're a rebuilding team now who's looking to add more core pieces around Scottie.

Is he really the perfect 3 & D wing when his shooting streakiness would make Trent blush and his effort on defense is inconsistent?
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,310

Post#540 » by PoundTown » Thu May 23, 2024 10:11 pm

CazOnReal wrote:
Dalek wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

Here's the problem with the Kings as a salary dump trade partner: The Sacramento Kings did this same thing last year to shed Richaun Holmes albatross of a contract, and this was in a much better draft class albeit with a much worse pick despite having a similar win/loss record overall and with Holmes being the definition of a bad contract whereas the other contracts on the Kings books are not as atrocious.

Is he really the perfect 3 & D wing when his shooting streakiness would make Trent blush and his effort on defense is inconsistent?

Patrick Williams is sooo overrated, not worth trying to outbid anyone for him. He might get to Marvin Williams level, and I'm talking the Charlotte version.

Return to Toronto Raptors