ImageImageImageImageImage

The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, HiJiNX, niQ, Reeko, lebron stopper

DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 9,290

Re: The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3 

Post#581 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri May 24, 2024 3:52 pm

douggood wrote:i came in to this thread to see if there was something new about gradey, turns out its an RJ thread now.

all i will add to the RJ talk is in all his seasons with the knicks they were worst or near worst in assists per game
raptors 23-24 5th best

knicks 23-24 2nd worst
knicks 22-23 2nd worst
knicks 21-22 worst
knicks 20-21 2nd worst
knicks 19-20 4th worst

Context with some statistical data to formulate a reasonable response. Refreshing

In Raptor Ball I Trust
raptorforlife88
Analyst
And1: 1,047

Post#582 » by raptorforlife88 » Fri May 24, 2024 3:53 pm

Scase wrote:What RJ did for 300 career games is not important guys, only what he did for 30 games here. THAT is the true predictor of future success, short unsustainable bursts with no sample size. Nothing to see here.

Some of the **** you read around here :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think there's meaning to those 30 games because if he put up those numbers while playing the same way he did in New York that wouldn't matter at all, it would just be a really crazy outlier and you could dismiss it.

But there's two things here. One if you look through his career splits, there wasn't a single month he had the numbers he had over 30 games here which is wild.

And two is that he completely cut out his mid range shots, had a significantly higher percentage of assisted shots, and in terms of eye test started a lot of plays while in motion and not at a standstill.

Those two things are connected. Those are significant changes to his game, that led to numbers over a stretch of time that he never showed in New York.

It's unlikely I think that he keeps up his percentage on finishes, but he'll also probably shoot better on free throws which balances it out a bit.

But I'm not sure how you can dismiss him literally playing a completely different game here than he did there.

Between 8-15% of his shot his entire career in NY were taken between 10 feet to the three point line. That dropped to 3% here, basically a negligible number. He had terrible percentages on those shots. Just by removing it he's improved his game a decent bit.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 9,227

Post#583 » by MEDIC » Fri May 24, 2024 4:17 pm

Scase wrote:
MEDIC wrote:
Scase wrote:My guy, I was referring to someone literally disregarding what RJ was in NYC lol

I'm not saying he isn't doing better in a different situation, I think he's definitely doing better having a lot more of his points assisted on, but that doesn't change who or what he is as a player. He's not going to magically improve his lateral quicks, he's not going to suddenly become a very good 3pt shooter etc. I fully expect him to improve on some aspects of his game, but to completely disregard 300 games of evidence, to assume 30 is what you should trust, is just silly lol.

You aren't a fan of his game....I get it.

I am approaching it from the same angle djsunyc is. It's a blank slate for me.

I don't think NYK was the ideal situation for him.

If you want to put less emphasis on his NYC years that's fine, but acting like 5 years of experience never happened, I'm sorry but that's just stupid.

It happened, it shaped his game and his mentality, and will absolutely and unequivocally have an impact on his career path moving forward. It's not any sort of guarantee that it's all he will ever be, but there is no reasonable way you can ignore 5 years of experience in the league and pretend it didn't happen just because he's on a different team.

Kyle.Lowry had 6 years of experience before arriving here. Many teams had written him off. How did that work out for us? He was what....26 years old?

Guys find their way. He's still young. He's hungry. He's very competitive. He has a level head & good leadership qualities. Plus he has some really good people in his corner, including a basketball father.

Just sit back and watch with a sense of curiosity & interest.......... enjoy the ride.

After his 3rd season here (when he is entering his prime), I'll form some.kind of opinion
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,862

Post#584 » by Clay Davis » Fri May 24, 2024 4:31 pm

MEDIC wrote:
Scase wrote:
MEDIC wrote:

If you want to put less emphasis on his NYC years that's fine, but acting like 5 years of experience never happened, I'm sorry but that's just stupid.

It happened, it shaped his game and his mentality, and will absolutely and unequivocally have an impact on his career path moving forward. It's not any sort of guarantee that it's all he will ever be, but there is no reasonable way you can ignore 5 years of experience in the league and pretend it didn't happen just because he's on a different team.

Kyle.Lowry had 6 years of experience before arriving here. Many teams had written him off. How did that work out for us? He was what....26 years old?

Guys find their way. He's still young. He's hungry. He's very competitive. He has a level head & good leadership qualities. Plus he has some really good people in his corner, including a basketball father.

Just sit back and watch with a sense of curiosity & interest.......... enjoy the ride.

After his 3rd season here (when he is entering his prime), I'll form some.kind of opinion

Is your signature a depiction of his basketball father being injected with the same brain-rizz concoction they used on the monkeys in Planet of the Apes?
Steelo Green wrote:All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 933

Post#585 » by disoblige » Fri May 24, 2024 4:46 pm

douggood wrote:i came in to this thread to see if there was something new about gradey, turns out its an RJ thread now.

Thats what happens when you have Scase. He change the thread topics to topics to discredit Masai.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 28,203

Post#586 » by YogurtProducer » Fri May 24, 2024 4:50 pm

disoblige wrote:

Thats what happens when you have Scase. He change the thread topics to topics to discredit Masai.

Cant wait to find out why Siakam sucks to
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 12,202

Post#587 » by Los_29 » Fri May 24, 2024 5:15 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
disoblige wrote:

I find this one particularly interesting as he also hates the return we got for Pascal.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,447

Post#588 » by tecumseh18 » Fri May 24, 2024 5:44 pm

Los_29 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
disoblige wrote:

I find this one particularly interesting as he also hates the return we got for Pascal.

The food in this restaurant is terrible! And in such small portions, too.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 8,537

Post#589 » by Scase » Fri May 24, 2024 6:59 pm

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
MEDIC wrote:

It is not about ignoring the numbers from the first 4.5 years, but understanding the context in which they occurred. The fact those 4.5 years were his first in the league, on a team with a specific structure, helped influence the results that RJ experienced. On a new team, with a new offensive structure, and the growth/maturity he has gained, it is not unreasonable to think is production could improve, and the production he saw in Toronto could be closer to what to expect going forward if the environment remains the same.

Like I said multiple times, I agree, it is not unreasonable to think or even expect his production to improve. But it is unreasonable to say things like "blank slate" or "what he did with the knicks is no longer relevant".

The habits and play style he has been doing game in and game out for 5 years don't magically go away just cause he's on a different team or in a different situation. How a player develops in their formative years is more impactful than later on in their career. I would be shocked and thoroughly disappointed if he DIDN'T improve, but he's not going to turn into a 40% 3pt shooter just cause he's not on the knicks anymore.

raptorforlife88 wrote:
Scase wrote:What RJ did for 300 career games is not important guys, only what he did for 30 games here. THAT is the true predictor of future success, short unsustainable bursts with no sample size. Nothing to see here.

Some of the **** you read around here :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think there's meaning to those 30 games because if he put up those numbers while playing the same way he did in New York that wouldn't matter at all, it would just be a really crazy outlier and you could dismiss it.

But there's two things here. One if you look through his career splits, there wasn't a single month he had the numbers he had over 30 games here which is wild.

And two is that he completely cut out his mid range shots, had a significantly higher percentage of assisted shots, and in terms of eye test started a lot of plays while in motion and not at a standstill.

Those two things are connected. Those are significant changes to his game, that led to numbers over a stretch of time that he never showed in New York.

It's unlikely I think that he keeps up his percentage on finishes, but he'll also probably shoot better on free throws which balances it out a bit.

But I'm not sure how you can dismiss him literally playing a completely different game here than he did there.

Between 8-15% of his shot his entire career in NY were taken between 10 feet to the three point line. That dropped to 3% here, basically a negligible number. He had terrible percentages on those shots. Just by removing it he's improved his game a decent bit.

The bolded is just more evidence to it being an outlier is what I'm saying. I don't think it is at all unreasonable to say "Hey let's see if for a whole season before we start the parade", yet to a select few it's apparently blasphemy.

I'm not dismissing him playing differently at all, scroll up, I was literally discussing this with Fairview and Consarnit about how his shot diets have changed. People just either like to read what they want to read, or aren't following the convo.

MEDIC wrote:
Scase wrote:
MEDIC wrote:

Ok cool, now go find how many guys who were in the league for 6 years and had a massive resurgence. I never said it's impossible, I said I'm not going to hold my breath on it happening. Crazier things have happened, but probabilities exist for a reason.

Los_29 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
disoblige wrote:

It's so cute that I have this little fan club of you all. Let me know when you guys want autographs or pictures, since clearly you can't get enough of me.

Wasn't it you who loved to claim "rent free". Oh the irony of it all. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Props TZ!
raptorforlife88
Analyst
And1: 1,047

Post#590 » by raptorforlife88 » Fri May 24, 2024 7:44 pm

Scase wrote:
raptorforlife88 wrote:

The bolded is just more evidence to it being an outlier is what I'm saying. I don't think it is at all unreasonable to say "Hey let's see if for a whole season before we start the parade", yet to a select few it's apparently blasphemy.

I'm not dismissing him playing differently at all, scroll up, I was literally discussing this with Fairview and Consarnit about how his shot diets have changed. People just either like to read what they want to read, or aren't following the convo.

I think I would have subscribed to that if he had ever over all of those games in NY had a season that had a different shot profile, or ever had a month where he put stats that were close to his performance over these 30 games. He had neither.

Players have outlier months all the time, but over that entire time in NY playing the same way he always did, he never had this kind of outlier. Which is why I do think it's a more meaningful sample size than it may otherwise be.

I just can't see it being a coincidence that the best long stretch of his career comes right after those changes.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#591 » by YogurtProducer » Fri May 24, 2024 7:54 pm

raptorforlife88 wrote:
Scase wrote:
raptorforlife88 wrote:

I think I would have subscribed to that if he had ever over all of those games in NY had a season that had a different shot profile, or ever had a month where he put stats that were close to his performance over these 30 games. He had neither.

Players have outlier months all the time, but over that entire time in NY playing the same way he always did, he never had this kind of outlier. Which is why I do think it's a more meaningful sample size than it may otherwise be.

I just can't see it being a coincidence that the best long stretch of his career comes right after those changes.

Your both right - the reality is somewhere in the middle.

WE should wait and see if he can sustain this for an extended period of time. That being said, it is completely reasonable to look at the fact that it was the best 30-game stretch of his career, and that there was significant changes to his playstyle that led to it. This was not some random stretch of hot shooting but no change to style.

He took SIGNFICIANTLY less mid range shots.
His % of assisted buckets went from 53% in NYK (which was already his career high), to 62% in TOR.
He has 29 dunks in TOR in 32 games. His previous high was 40 dunks in 70 games in 2022. Obvious effort to get to the rim.
His 3-point rate was at a career low.

So we gotta see if the changes he made to his playstyle maintain next year.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#592 » by YogurtProducer » Fri May 24, 2024 7:55 pm

Scase wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Cant wait to find out why Siakam sucks to

It's so cute that I have this little fan club of you all. Let me know when you guys want autographs or pictures, since clearly you can't get enough of me.

Wasn't it you who loved to claim "rent free". Oh the irony of it all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or, look in the mirror and realize why you are the butt of the joke.

WE both know you are just gonna keep posting horrible takes and bringing up Siakam and Masai in every thread though. Even the FVV haters quit once he was gone. When are you gonna stop?
Scase
RealGM
And1: 8,537

Post#593 » by Scase » Fri May 24, 2024 8:11 pm

raptorforlife88 wrote:
Scase wrote:
raptorforlife88 wrote:

Which is absolutely fair, I'm also willing to attribute some of that to the new team/playing at home aspect. Again, I'm not saying he can't/won't improve, just that I'm gonna need more than 30 games to be swayed is all, and I think that's pretty reasonable.
Props TZ!
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 65,085

Post#594 » by Duffman100 » Fri May 24, 2024 8:24 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Scase wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

WE both know you are just gonna keep posting horrible takes and bringing up Siakam and Masai in every thread though. Even the FVV haters quit once he was gone. When are you gonna stop?

In all fairness the FVV haters stopped because I kept banning them. :lol:
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,841

Post#595 » by Zeno » Sat May 25, 2024 8:06 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Cant wait to find out why Siakam sucks to

The food in this restaurant is terrible! And in such small portions, too.

Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Badonkadonk
General Manager
And1: 11,988

Post#596 » by Badonkadonk » Sat May 25, 2024 8:28 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Scase wrote:

It wasn't because he went right back to his career shooting averages and magically finished 7th in APG when he finally went to a team that could shoot well? Guess I shouldn't be surprised.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 9,290

Post#597 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat May 25, 2024 9:37 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Or, look in the mirror and realize why you are the butt of the joke.

It wasn't because he went right back to his career shooting averages and magically finished 7th in APG when he finally went to a team that could shoot well? Guess I shouldn't be surprised.

In fairness I'm a fvv hater bcuz of his shooting % & his ast lead to stagnation for the most part.

17 n 8 tho, 37% from 3, good player

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 65,085

Post#598 » by Duffman100 » Sat May 25, 2024 10:23 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

In fairness I'm a fvv hater bcuz of his shooting % & his ast lead to stagnation for the most part.

Banned.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#599 » by YogurtProducer » Sun May 26, 2024 1:56 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

Most reasonable people knew the injuries played a part in his shooting regression.
will
RealGM
And1: 50,453
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#600 » by will » Sun May 26, 2024 1:57 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Scase wrote:

Return to Toronto Raptors