ImageImageImageImageImage

Head Coach isn't it

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Wasp
Sixth Man
And1: 1,199

Re: Head Coach isn't it 

Post#61 » by Wasp » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:19 pm

People love to scream "THEY SHOULD TANK!" until they do, and then all of a sudden it's all about how everyone sucks because the team is losing. Here's a tip for you and all of the other whiners out there - young teams lose a lot, even if they have good young players on them, regardless of how good or bad the coach is.
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,345

Post#62 » by ciueli » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:29 pm

Wasp wrote:People love to scream "THEY SHOULD TANK!" until they do, and then all of a sudden it's all about how everyone sucks because the team is losing. Here's a tip for you and all of the other whiners out there - young teams lose a lot, even if they have good young players on them, regardless of how good or bad the coach is.

I've seen so many posts like this. "You were whining about how our team should rebuild, now you're whining about how bad our team is, there's no pleasing you!"

We wanted to rebuild when it was the right time to rebuild, when our players still had good value and trading them would get us good rebuilding pieces in return. And if we were going to rebuild, we wanted to rebuild around picks, preferably in a good draft with high lottery picks, most importantly our own pick. Instead, here we are, rebuilding around a bunch of mediocre players headed into the worst draft in a decade with likely no good draft pick until 2025 at earliest, and maybe not even then because Masai in his infinite wisdom is still trying to push for the play-in tournament by trading away first rounders for established players.

You're complaining about us complaining when you should be complaining about how Masai completely missed the boat on a rebuild and has doomed this team to many years of hopelessness.
binjumper
Veteran
And1: 3,724

Post#63 » by binjumper » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:37 pm

what is wrong with this fan base. wtf did you think rebuilding was going to be like?
binjumper
Veteran
And1: 3,724

Post#64 » by binjumper » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:38 pm

ciueli wrote:
Wasp wrote:People love to scream "THEY SHOULD TANK!" until they do, and then all of a sudden it's all about how everyone sucks because the team is losing. Here's a tip for you and all of the other whiners out there - young teams lose a lot, even if they have good young players on them, regardless of how good or bad the coach is.

I've seen so many posts like this. "You were whining about how our team should rebuild, now you're whining about how bad our team is, there's no pleasing you!"

We wanted to rebuild when it was the right time to rebuild, when our players still had good value and trading them would get us good rebuilding pieces in return. And if we were going to rebuild, we wanted to rebuild around picks, preferably in a good draft with high lottery picks, most importantly our own pick. Instead, here we are, rebuilding around a bunch of mediocre players headed into the worst draft in a decade with likely no good draft pick until 2025 at earliest, and maybe not even then because Masai in his infinite wisdom is still trying to push for the play-in tournament by trading away first rounders for established players.

You're complaining about us complaining when you should be complaining about how Masai completely missed the boat on a rebuild and has doomed this team to many years of hopelessness.

You're actually braindead its amazing.
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,345

Post#65 » by ciueli » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:49 pm

binjumper wrote:
ciueli wrote:

Right, instead of saying anything refuting what I posted or anything of value you just insult me, congratulations on elevating the level of discourse here.
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,865

Post#66 » by oldncreaky » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:02 pm

A team can choose to enter the tank, but it can't choose when to exit: that almost always involves luck in one form or another

Back on topic: I don't think Darko is even average as a game manager, and he may never reach average, but that really doesn't matter this season, and probably next too. If you are a tanking team, the last thing you want is to squeeze out extra wins due to coaching ala Nick Nurse.
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
TravisScott55
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,069

Post#67 » by TravisScott55 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:05 pm

Lol you can tell which fans are new and not used to a bad team. No coach is winning with this roster.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#68 » by JB7 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:05 pm

Merit wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Merit wrote:
Maybe you could say something about game management, since we’re all armchair GM’s. Game plans? Not sure. I’m sure you’ll argue that you can tell because they’re not executing but I think a lot of it can just be chalked up to development. Let’s see how they respond next game. This one was truly a stinker.

Pops and Nurse were championship coaches. Thibs has turned around so many teams. Clearly they are excellent and experienced coaches, so I think it would be safe to say they are stronger at game plans and in game management than Darko.

The point of the comment is context. That is what those players just experienced, and therefore their expectations are probably much higher.

Good thing for the next coach, the starting point of comparison for the players will now be Darko.

Again, you have no idea of how things are internally. You’re focusing on results after a short period of time. Are you also the person who gives up after going to the gym once?

Listening to some of the podcasters who have been around teams (players & coaches) and who have been following the game for much of their lives, one big thing that has been mentioned about coaches is them having the buy-in from the team's star player. If that player doesn't have their back, they are not going to be running that team for long.

Scottie leaving the court to go to the dressing room even before the game is done, speaks volumes about what he probably thinks of the coach, and how things are going with the team.

The Bucks hired and then fired Griffin because of Giannis.

The team is now past the halfway point of the season. And while there has been a lot of turnover, the idea is the players brought in are to support Scottie's development more, and should be more cohesive with his style of play. The Raps FO hasn't traded the old core for just draft picks. They have brought real players in, who have contributed to winning teams. So I think the FO would be expecting the performance of the team to gradually improve, not get substantially worse.

I don't think they will fire Darko immediately, partly because it would be hard to bring in a replacement now, but I doubt he is back next season.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,951

Post#69 » by deeps6x » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:07 pm

Darko is doing what we need him to do right now. Develop our core players, and lose games.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 489

Post#70 » by Smalltown » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:08 pm

JB7 wrote:I don't think they will fire Darko immediately, partly because it would be hard to bring in a replacement now, but I doubt he is back next season.

I still think Jordi was the guy they should have brought in all along. I'm not sure they fire Darko. But if they do i think it'll be a quick pivot to Jordi who's being kept close with Team Canada.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,100

Post#71 » by Indeed » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:10 pm

ciueli wrote:
binjumper wrote:
ciueli wrote:

Right, instead of saying anything refuting what I posted or anything of value you just insult me, congratulations on elevating the level of discourse here.

I don't think it makes any difference between our picks and how our head coach is managing our players.

Those are two different things to complain, one against current team, and one against the front office in timing the change.
I would agree that it may not be the best timing and complaining about it is reasonable, but have to wait until free agency and future plan.
Meanwhile, I disagree about the complain on our current head coach and team situation, particularly, this is what people asked for, and have nothing to do with the pick.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#72 » by JB7 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:12 pm

Smalltown wrote:
JB7 wrote:I don't think they will fire Darko immediately, partly because it would be hard to bring in a replacement now, but I doubt he is back next season.

I still think Jordi was the guy they should have brought in all along. I'm not sure they fire Darko. But if they do i think it'll be a quick pivot to Jordi who's being kept close with Team Canada.

If Jordi is the guy they want, isn't it better for him to finish out the season in Sac, where he can help them potentially in a playoff run, and then let him start fresh with the Raps in the offseason?
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 489

Post#73 » by Smalltown » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:13 pm

JB7 wrote:
Smalltown wrote:

If Jordi is the guy they want, isn't it better for him to finish out the season in Sac, where he can help them potentially in a playoff run, and then let him start fresh with the Raps in the offseason?

Absolutely. I don't think they'll fire Darko during the season.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,100

Post#74 » by Indeed » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:14 pm

JB7 wrote:
Merit wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Pops and Nurse were championship coaches. Thibs has turned around so many teams. Clearly they are excellent and experienced coaches, so I think it would be safe to say they are stronger at game plans and in game management than Darko.

The point of the comment is context. That is what those players just experienced, and therefore their expectations are probably much higher.

Good thing for the next coach, the starting point of comparison for the players will now be Darko.

Again, you have no idea of how things are internally. You’re focusing on results after a short period of time. Are you also the person who gives up after going to the gym once?

Listening to some of the podcasters who have been around teams (players & coaches) and who have been following the game for much of their lives, one big thing that has been mentioned about coaches is them having the buy-in from the team's star player. If that player doesn't have their back, they are not going to be running that team for long.

Scottie leaving the court to go to the dressing room even before the game is done, speaks volumes about what he probably thinks of the coach, and how things are going with the team.

The Bucks hired and then fired Griffin because of Giannis.

The team is now past the halfway point of the season. And while there has been a lot of turnover, the idea is the players brought in are to support Scottie's development more, and should be more cohesive with his style of play. The Raps FO hasn't traded the old core for just draft picks. They have brought real players in, who have contributed to winning teams. So I think the FO would be expecting the performance of the team to gradually improve, not get substantially worse.

I don't think they will fire Darko immediately, partly because it would be hard to bring in a replacement now, but I doubt he is back next season.

Who exactly would be the coach for Barnes?
I wouldn't be surprised Nurse departure was related to Barnes. How many coaches do we need to change because of him? And where is he leading us to?

Meanwhile, the hiring of Darko was exactly to show case Barnes on offense, and we put our best player in the corner (Siakam). What exactly want Darko to do when he did his thing?
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,564

Post#75 » by PushDaRock » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:17 pm

I think he was lacking in his in game tactics earlier on when we were trying to win but that's to be expected as a rookie head coach. Complaining about that stuff now just doesn't make much sense when we are in development mode and aren't optimizing to win games.
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,696

Post#76 » by sbsat » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:21 pm

rapstarter wrote:
sbsat wrote:Listening to multiple reaction podcasts after the spurs fiasco not one is questioning anything about this head coach. I am not understanding this at all, I've never seen anything so obvious in my life, this is not an NBA head coach.

Speaking of Spurs, Popovich, arguably the GOAT, has looked like a joke in the last few years. Not saying lack of talent should be an excuse for everything, but it IS a major factor for how a coach looks in the NBA.

Ive been actually thinking perhaps pops is losing it. But he also has bought himself goodwill via 25+ years of proven coaching. Please dont compare the two
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,578

Post#77 » by ItsDanger » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:28 pm

In terms of game management, Darko has been very disappointing. But there may be a reason they chose a development/Euro style coach beyond what we see.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,564

Post#78 » by PushDaRock » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:29 pm

ItsDanger wrote:In terms of game management, Darko has been very disappointing. But there may be a reason they chose a development/Euro style coach beyond what we see.

It's not rocket science. Masai called the team selfish last year. Darko was brought in to change that and he has. The team is now 2nd in the league in assists.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,773

Post#79 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:32 pm

Who's at fault for the dog ___ defense?
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,746

Post#80 » by Yeezus_ » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:34 pm

Thread reminds me of the early days of the Gradey Dick thread.
Yeezy SZN approaching

Return to Toronto Raptors