ImageImageImageImageImage

Siakam trade for basically nothing is now showing its effect

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,302

Re: Siakam trade for basically nothing is now showing its effect 

Post#61 » by mrdressup » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:40 pm

Siakam was not traded for nothing. Nothing is what we would have in hand had we gone forward with our plan to not resign him. Hr would have walked.

When you finally decide that you are not resigning a guy to that multi year mega contract you go out and get what you can for him. We avoided the FVV situation where we thought we could resign him. In that case we waned to retain him.

We decided that with Siakam we were not interested in resigning him to his terms. All's fair. We are where we are by design. Part of the equation is picks, cap space and flexibility for the rebuild. Take note that having an expensive Siakam on the team is NOT purely a good for a rebuild. We could not make the playoffs with a core Siakam, FVV, OG and Barnes and what we had around it.

The task is now to build a better team. We are supposed to be bad right now. The smellier the better.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,795

Post#62 » by Badonkadonk » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:48 pm

Obligatory this forum needs negs comment in a chan thread.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,287

Post#63 » by Chandan » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:53 pm

Why are all the GMs bullying and punking masai?

And all the coaches try to run up the score and get records against the Raptors.

They must hate Canada.
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,185

Post#64 » by billy_hoyle » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:58 pm

mrdressup wrote:Siakam was not traded for nothing. Nothing is what we would have in hand had we gone forward with our plan to not resign him. Hr would have walked.

When you finally decide that you are not resigning a guy to that multi year mega contract you go out and get what you can for him. We avoided the FVV situation where we thought we could resign him. In that case we waned to retain him.

We decided that with Siakam we were not interested in resigning him to his terms. All's fair. We are where we are by design. Part of the equation is picks, cap space and flexibility for the rebuild. Take note that having an expensive Siakam on the team is NOT purely a good for a rebuild. We could not make the playoffs with a core Siakam, FVV, OG and Barnes and what we had around it.

The task is now to build a better team. We are supposed to be bad right now. The smellier the better.

I'd bet we are in the playoffs this year if we resigned FVV. Couple him with a drastically improved 3rd year Scottie and we'd be up there around the 6th seed (maybe better).
LarSiN
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,148

Post#65 » by LarSiN » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:03 pm

*yawn*
"I quickly cripple the triple-threat devils, disheveled I level headedly settle on spontaneous combustion tactics. Fact is, nothing is drastic or graphic. I melt the steel like blacksmiths"
alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,157

Post#66 » by alienchild » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:04 pm

KawhiSoSerious wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how little some people value their time and mindset.

It's called having "too much time and no mind".
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.
LarSiN
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,148

Post#67 » by LarSiN » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:11 pm

C_Money wrote:
TheGeneral99 wrote:
C_Money wrote:Not the Siakam trade. Its all the other players that left for nothing over the past 4 years thats showing its effect.

Who are all these other players Mr. Captain Hindsight?

Fred? Who no one expected to get 43m from any team last summer, LOL?

Why don’t you take a look at the 18/19 roster and you’ll find your answer.

This has to be the most annoying repeated false-take on here
"I quickly cripple the triple-threat devils, disheveled I level headedly settle on spontaneous combustion tactics. Fact is, nothing is drastic or graphic. I melt the steel like blacksmiths"
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,662

Post#68 » by JRoy » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:18 pm

srhcan wrote:Siakam a 2-time All-NBA and 2-time All-Star player, was traded by Raptors in his prime for basically nothing.
Pacers has this whole bunch of good young players (4-7) and they did not give us even a single player from that bunch. Even if any player of that bunch cannot play much for Pacers just because of the damn competition, Pacers still refused to give him to us. :cry:
They continue the same treatment in case of draft picks. They give us picks in a draft which is consider to have inferior talent and even there, they give us low picks instead of high picks. :cry:

The effect of this trade was not felt much initially, because Barnes continued his stellar play of this season. But now Barnes is injured and cannot play and most likely out for the season. And now we are seeing the full effects of the Siakam trade. That trade made us bad in present and also does not improve our future. Other teams would have traded a player of Siakam caliber to either improve their present or future. We on the other hand strike out in both cases.

This trade may even put seeds of doubt in Barnes mind. He may be thinking is this organization willing to build to compete for a championship? OR they want to build a team whose ceiling is to make playoffs? Are they counting again to get lucky and find gems in later parts of draft? Do they want to draft another superstar? Or are they counting again that a disgruntled superstar will be traded to them?

It will take a few years to see the real impact of that trade.

As others have said, not having to pay a 2nd banana as though he were a top banana is a pretty big deal.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 12,005

Post#69 » by Los_29 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:19 pm

I don’t think I’ll ever understand this place. The same people who loved the Dejounte Murray trade for the Spurs are the same ones that hate the Pascal trade for us.

The people that consistently trashed Pascal are also the same ones that think we got fleeced by the Pacers.

The reality is money matters. Pascal was not worth as much as OG because he’s far more expensive and the market was not strong for a player like him because they couldn’t accommodate his salary. We need to stop comparing our return to the OG deal. That was an incredible return.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,407

Post#70 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:20 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:Obligatory this forum needs negs comment in a chan thread.

"technicals"
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,255

Post#71 » by HumbleRen » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:38 pm

I mean Masai lost his leverage by desperately holding on to the core, what else could have he done ?

The alternatives were to overpay him or let him walk for nothing. This was the best option at the moment.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,920

Post#72 » by agkagk » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:58 pm

I read somewhere recently that the 6th worst record in the league converts to either the 8th or 9th pick 75% of the time.

We made this trade with an eye towards the off season:

Brown + boucher (about 35 million in expirings), plus picks, plus cap space.

In short, to be continued!
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,198

Post#73 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:02 pm

if would be funny if the Raptors somehow ended up with 2 lottery picks in the "weakest drafts in recent history"
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#74 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:03 pm

HumbleRen wrote:I mean Masai lost his leverage by desperately holding on to the core, what else could have he done ?

The alternatives were to overpay him or let him walk for nothing. This was the best option at the moment.

ya man, the tank nation was ahead of its time.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,920

Post#75 » by Thaddy » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:09 pm

There's a chance Siakam might leave the Pacers if they don't give me the max or play hard ball. I have doubts about Siakam being a second option to Hali and succeeding. The game Siakam plays stops offensive flow and his deep range shooting isn't reliable.
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 3,055

Post#76 » by TheGeneral99 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:15 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:if would be funny if the Raptors somehow ended up with 2 lottery picks in the "weakest drafts in recent history"

"Weakest draft in recent history" is such BS. The reality is that no one really knows how a draft class will turn out until years later.

A lot of people said that the 2020 draft was a really weak draft class:

https://www.businessinsider.com/nba-draft-top-picks-weak-class-2020-11

So let's look at some notable players that went in the 1st round:

Edwards - Currently a top 10 player.
Lamelo - all-star caliber player
Haliburton - all-star caliber player
Maxey - all-star caliber player

And other guys like Patrick Williams, Okongwu, Toppin, Quickley, Avdija, Stewart, Anthony, Green etc. are productive NBA players.

So not an incredible draft, but still a solid draft with multiple all-stars and many other productive role players.

Even in the 2018 draft, nobody predicted Luka and Shai were going to be superstar MVP caliber players. Many thought that Trae was undersized and would be a bust.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#77 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:19 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:if would be funny if the Raptors somehow ended up with 2 lottery picks in the "weakest drafts in recent history"

"Weakest draft in recent history" is such BS. The reality is that no one really knows how a draft class will turn out until years later.

And other guys like Patrick Williams, Okongwu, Toppin, Quickley, Avdija, Stewart, Anthony, Green etc. are productive NBA players.

So not an incredible draft, but still a solid draft with multiple all-stars and many other productive role players.

an exception does not mean it can hold true for this class.

There are going to be good role players in every draft class.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,200

Post#78 » by DelAbbot » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:54 pm

2023 Masai: "it's the worse draft in recent memory. so Poeltl is worth it"

2024 Masai: "every draft has hidden gems, and we get multiple shots at this draft"
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 3,055

Post#79 » by TheGeneral99 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:54 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
TheGeneral99 wrote:

an exception does not mean it can hold true for this class.

There are going to be good role players in every draft class.

As I said it's very difficult to tell how good a draft will be...there are way too many variables involved and you are often dealing with potential. You have a lot 19 year old freshman with "potential"...some turn out to be busts, some turn out to be average, some turn out good. It's very hit or miss.

I'm saying these predictions usually are way off. Remember in 2014, they predicted it was going to be one of the best classes ever. What happened? Wiggins never lived up to the potential, Parker was a bust and other guys like Vonleh, Stauskas, Payton, Exum etc. also turned out to be busts. The best player from that draft was an out of shape center by the name of Nikola Jokic who went at 41.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,200

Post#80 » by DelAbbot » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:55 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:I mean Masai lost his leverage by desperately holding on to the core, what else could have he done ?

ya man, the tank nation was ahead of its time.

hours of NBA 2K management paying off

Return to Toronto Raptors