ImageImageImageImageImage

MADNESS 2024 — Official NCAA Tournament Thread 2024

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,658

Re: MADNESS 2024 — Official NCAA Tournament Thread 2024 

Post#61 » by Brinbe » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:04 pm

Edey dominating. Been enjoying the old-school basketball
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,520

Post#62 » by YogurtProducer » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:05 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:Edny looks lottery bound.. another huge game today against Tennessee

Tennessee terrified to shoot at the rim as well.

Seems like he is decent passing out of the post to, he just is so dominant right now he doesn’t
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 9,047

Post#63 » by MEDIC » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:13 pm

Edey is constantly getting fouled. Probably only gets the foul call 50% of the time. I wonder if he would get a better whistle in the NBA.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,775

Post#64 » by And1Skip » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:14 pm

Read on Twitter

This was cool. Remember Gene Keady as a Raptors assistant? And the hilarious high five snub from Darrick Martin?
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,553

Post#65 » by dagger » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:14 pm

Brinbe wrote:Edey dominating. Been enjoying the old-school basketball

We could have a great big man showdown in the final if UCONN and Purdue win on Friday. For a meh draft, being able to form judgments based on a head to head matchup is a plus,
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
d00lttle
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,362

Post#66 » by d00lttle » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:38 pm

2 great matchups tonight. Of course the Iowa vs. LSU rematch, but also JuJu Watkins of USC vs Paige Bueckers of UConn.

PS. Did somebody delete my previous post because we can't talk Woman's bball here?

mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,634

Post#67 » by mdenny » Mon Apr 1, 2024 11:35 pm

What a start to this iowa v lsu game.

Shaping up to be ali v frazier if this keeps up.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,233

Post#68 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:28 am

I would so much be in favour of 9' nets for the women. I'm guessing that women are at least 10% shorter than men, so drop the net 10%. It would make the game much more entertaining to watch.

BTW the men's world record for high jump is ~96 inches. For women it is ~82 inches, or roughly 15% less high than men.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#69 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:34 am

tecumseh18 wrote:I would so much be in favour of 9' nets for the women. I'm guessing that women are at least 10% shorter than men, so drop the net 10%. It would make the game much more entertaining to watch.

BTW the men's world record for high jump is ~96 inches. For women it is ~82 inches, or roughly 15% less high than men.

Stupid for an absolute novel of reasons.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,315

Post#70 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:38 am

Caitlin is special. What a shooter
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#71 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:07 am

Refs allowing LSU to be extra physical not calling bumps in the paint. I think Iowa can hang on thout
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#72 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:17 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:I would so much be in favour of 9' nets for the women. I'm guessing that women are at least 10% shorter than men, so drop the net 10%. It would make the game much more entertaining to watch.

So many that you can't even name one. You're literally drowning in them.

Should women's tennis matches go to five sets?

Also, professional sports change their rules all the time to make the games more entertaining. Practically every season.

[edit] But I'm not trying to take away from this Caitlin Clark showcase/clinic (I guess Angel is playing hurt). I'm only thinking of what would make the women's game even more entertaining. I took my daughter to the exhibition game last summer, and we enjoyed ourselves. I want the sport to flourish, and for the players to get paid better.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,658

Post#73 » by Brinbe » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:19 am

This Iowa-LSU game has been awesome. Clarke is gonna be massive for the WNBA. The Steph comparisons are spot-on. Great shooter and passer, tough to stop if her teammates can score it too. And they certainly did enough tonight

Glad Larry T is pushing for a Women's team here in a few years.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#74 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:38 am

It'd be nice to see a Paige - Caitlin matchup next round but maybe USC is too powerful for UConn, not sure
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 32,006

Post#75 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:38 am

Great game. Props to LSU for staying in it late. Johnson not guarding Clark was a bit bizarre, maybe they were worried about fouls, or that they didn't want to tire Johnson out and needed her offense? Either way, I would have risked it.

Bueckers needs to stop skipping leg day.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 32,006

Post#76 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:43 am

tecumseh18 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

Also, professional sports change their rules all the time to make the games more entertaining. Practically every season.

[edit] But I'm not trying to take away from this Caitlin Clark showcase/clinic (I guess Angel is playing hurt). I'm only thinking of what would make the women's game even more entertaining. I took my daughter to the exhibition game last summer, and we enjoyed ourselves. I want the sport to flourish, and for the players to get paid better.

The women's game is really entertaining without dunks. Having adjustable nets in every gym and playground isn't really feasible. Tennis players use the same lines and net. The 3 point line is already closer and the game is doing fine with the same height net.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#77 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:02 am

tecumseh18 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

1) financially would be crippling to adjust every hoop in the world to account for both heights
2) you eliminate the ability for men and women to ever play together. In high school we would play scrimmages against / with one another often. You can adjust to a smaller ball or a closer line - a whole different height rim is completely different
3) knocking off 12 inches would lead to maybe some rim grazers - anyone who does not like womens bball suddenly wont watch to see a breakaway one handed rimgrazer
4) people who hate womens basketball always will regardless

Just a few for you.
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#78 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:03 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Stupid for an absolute novel of reasons.

The women's game is really entertaining without dunks. Having adjustable nets in every gym and playground isn't really feasible. Tennis players use the same lines and net. The 3 point line is already closer and the game is doing fine with the same height net.

It's not just dunks. I wrote the first post earlier in the game when NOBODY was making simple lay-ups. But, whatever.

Obviously, it's still enjoyable. It's the essential nature of basketball to be enjoyable when you're watching transcendent talents on display. For both men's and women's basketball.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,613

Post#79 » by bballsparkin » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:28 am

^^shooting on 9 foot hoops is fugly. I don't like the idea at all.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,634

Post#80 » by mdenny » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:54 am

tecumseh18 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

It's not just dunks. I wrote the first post earlier in the game when NOBODY was making simple lay-ups. But, whatever.

Obviously, it's still enjoyable. It's the essential nature of basketball to be enjoyable when you're watching transcendent talents on display. For both men's and women's basketball.

It's gonna give too much of an advantage to the taller players. Not just in scoring but in rebounding.

I don't understand how it would make the game better? Because less missed layups? Not even sure if that would be a huge result. The difference isn't in making lay-ups.....the big difference is CONTESTED lay-ups. Open lay-ups are still automatic in women's ball.

I don't think lowering the rims would help with making contested lay-ups in the women's game.

Return to Toronto Raptors