ImageImageImageImageImage

Triano: I thought the effort was good

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Jmatt12
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Re: Triano: I thought the effort was good 

Post#61 » by Jmatt12 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:39 am

Centre Court wrote:I'm not surprised that Jay said that. I've said it since the pre-season - Jay lacks the intensity, discipline and leadership that elite head coaches all have.

Tonight, Jack Armstrong went on and on about the discipline and systems that good coaches like Sloan, Skiles, Brown demand - yet he never once mentioned Jay in those conversations. Also, Jack said the Jazz were all business in the pregame warmups and he implied the Raptors were not.

He definitley was calling out Triano with the "Coaching matters in the league statement". Also saying that the both Skiles and Sloan having success with limited personnel.

You can tell that players don't listen to Triano. He doesn't get respect and nor does he deserve it. He has done nothing in his entire career to warrant respect from the players.

The worst part is Triano probably thinks he is actually doing a good job given that the raptors are still in the playoff hunt.
Woj wrote:David Stern has long pushed the individual over team, marketed showy over substance, and LeBron James represents the manifestation of it all."
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#62 » by sanity » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:41 am

DG88 wrote:
sanity wrote:The thing about Triano is he intentionally said that, knowing that his team didn't come to play. He's just past the point of lowering his own expectations, he knows his team is trash and realizes he can't do anything about it.

I'm sorry but at this stage of the season I can't accept my team to play like that and stand up in front of the media and say that the effort was good. I would actually call out the team not the players individually and say we played like crap and we deserved to lose. I mean be blunt you can't hide what you saw on the floor because everyone who was at the game and was watching it on TV saw that there was no effort from the get go.

Well yeah I agree fully, but what do you expect him to say? Its objective still seems to remain trying to be liked by his star players. Even if he realizes he's totally in over his head and doesn't have the slightest clue what to do with this team, I wouldn't doubt that Colangelo is silently exercising his will on this team from a coaching standpoint and that Jay's just a lame duck coach right now.

Anything to knock the team Colangelo assembled, or its prized players, he'll probably get the axe just as swiftly as Sam did. I still think he just wants to retain his position as coach and proceed into next season on the "we'll just have to get better" motto he's always been preaching but not acting on.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#63 » by basketball royalty » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:41 am

Jmatt12 wrote:
Centre Court wrote:I'm not surprised that Jay said that. I've said it since the pre-season - Jay lacks the intensity, discipline and leadership that elite head coaches all have.

Tonight, Jack Armstrong went on and on about the discipline and systems that good coaches like Sloan, Skiles, Brown demand - yet he never once mentioned Jay in those conversations. Also, Jack said the Jazz were all business in the pregame warmups and he implied the Raptors were not.

He definitley was calling out Triano with the "Coaching matters in the league statement". Also saying that the both Skiles and Sloan having success with limited personnel.

You can tell that players don't listen to Triano. He doesn't get respect and nor does he deserve it. He has done nothing in his entire career to warrant respect from the players.

Thats not the problem, he can make them respect him with PT, the problem is he is soft like cotton and so are his bball schemes.
props to Turbozone for the sig
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#64 » by Pchu » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:42 am

Jmatt12 wrote:

I liked Jack's comment about not every player like Sloan, but he is a winner. Sometimes, you have to kick some butt.
power works
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#65 » by power works » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:44 am

He needs to be fired period. :x

Even a less talented team that puts max effort can remain competitive against a very good team...at home.

It's inexcusable that you get blown out in back-to-back games AT HOME in the middle of a very crucial stretch of games that can mean playoff or lottery. No excuse whatsoever. :nonono:

He's lost the team.

He can't motivate them. He's talked about playing D ever since training camp and here we are close to game 70 of the season and the Raps are still an atrocious defensive team.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,726

Post#66 » by C_Money » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:45 am

Jay's pre-game speech:

"And remember guys, the most important thing is to have fun!!!"
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#67 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:46 am

I dont know if Triano will get canned, but his relationship with Bosh is too tight for it to happen.

If Bosh were to tell BC that Triano is his coach and he will sign as long as Triano stays HC, do we still want Bosh?

The players and media NEED to make Bosh turn on Triano for any action to be taken.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,745

Post#68 » by DG88 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:46 am

sanity wrote:
DG88 wrote:
sanity wrote:The thing about Triano is he intentionally said that, knowing that his team didn't come to play. He's just past the point of lowering his own expectations, he knows his team is trash and realizes he can't do anything about it.

I'm sorry but at this stage of the season I can't accept my team to play like that and stand up in front of the media and say that the effort was good. I would actually call out the team not the players individually and say we played like crap and we deserved to lose. I mean be blunt you can't hide what you saw on the floor because everyone who was at the game and was watching it on TV saw that there was no effort from the get go.

Well yeah I agree fully, but what do you expect him to say? Its objective still seems to remain trying to be liked by his star players. Even if he realizes he's totally in over his head and doesn't have the slightest clue what to do with this team, I wouldn't doubt that Colangelo is silently exercising his will on this team from a coaching standpoint and that Jay's just a lame duck coach right now.

Anything to knock the team Colangelo assembled, or its prized players, he'll probably get the axe just as swiftly as Sam did. I still think he just wants to retain his position as coach and proceed into next season on the "we'll just have to get better" motto he's always been preaching but not acting on.

Well then that's too bad because this team needs a serious kick in the ass. He either says like it is an puts the onus on the players to play with more effort or he can just sugar coat it if he thinks that will save his job. He need to demand more from his players. If he has to call out the team in the media so be it.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#69 » by basketball royalty » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:47 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:I dont know if Triano will get canned, but his relationship with Bosh is too tight for it to happen.

If Bosh were to tell BC that Triano is his coach and he will sign as long as Triano stays HC, do we still want Bosh?

The players and media NEED to make Bosh turn on Triano for any action to be taken.

Screw that. Bosh isn't running the team. BC should fire Triano TODAY.
props to Turbozone for the sig
Jmatt12
Bench Warmer

Post#70 » by Jmatt12 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:49 am

basketball royalty wrote:
Jmatt12 wrote:

Thats not the problem, he can make them respect him with PT, the problem is he is soft like cotton and so are his bball schemes.

Giving expected playing time to players doesn't automatically get you the respect in this league. Its a factor but it isn't the only one. Didier Ilunga-Mbenga would probably like to play 25-30 mins a game but it doesn't mean that he doesn't respect Phil Jackson b/c he gets 3mpg. He knows that when Phil speaks you listen regardless of your playing time.
Woj wrote:David Stern has long pushed the individual over team, marketed showy over substance, and LeBron James represents the manifestation of it all."
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#71 » by J-Roc » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:50 am

The Utah system proves the difference a coach can make. Jay has no respect from these players. BC is a friggin joke. Why did he hire another lame duck coach? Jay has no idea how to get these guys to play. And look at our other coaches. Iavaroni is a joke, but who the hell is Alex English as a coach? What does Micah Nori bring to the table? So Jay has no control and surrounds himself with other useless idiots.

Wait...sorry....Doug Smith just said not to worry, it's only 1 of 82 games....
rove
Senior
And1: 220

Post#72 » by rove » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:51 am

This is how I see things will play out:

We'll miss the playoffs. Triano will get fired. Bosh will leave via S&T.

BC has one more year to do something to fix it and Bargnani will still be here. Jose will probably be traded for some useless sh%t and Hedo is here to stay.

Then BC will say "we're looking for some European FAs, Printezis may come, etc. and we'll be a much better team."

And things will still be the same. Then MLSE will fire BC.

I hope I'm wrong. Actually no I don't. Blow this fuc#er up!
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#73 » by Undefeated » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:52 am

Honestly, Triano should even be a head coach. He can't even set up a decent offense with ball movement and roles. And his defensive system that he set up earlier in the season was flawed as hell considering the Raptors didn't have the players to fit his system.

I don't think Triano needs to be fired, but he need to be demoted back to an assistant coach or something with developmental with the players. His best work comes from developing players noted from his easy going style and laid back attitude. Those traits that Triano brings to the table doesn't fit what a head coach is suppose to do for his team.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,548

Post#74 » by bballsparkin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:52 am

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Really, though, a coach shouldn't even have to worry about effort in March when you're fighting for a playoff spot.

In theory sure, but in reality, sadly wrong. Why do you think coaches like Phil, Sloan, and Pop keep harping all the time?
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,726

Post#75 » by C_Money » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:52 am

J-Roc wrote:The Utah system proves the difference a coach can make. Jay has no respect from these players. BC is a friggin joke. Why did he hire another lame duck coach? Jay has no idea how to get these guys to play. And look at our other coaches. Iavaroni is a joke, but who the hell is Alex English as a coach? What does Micah Nori bring to the table? So Jay has no control and surrounds himself with other useless idiots.

Wait...sorry....Doug Smith just said not to worry, it's only 1 of 82 games....

You've got to be kidding me. That guy just tries to piss people off.
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#76 » by Southward1 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:52 am

He's created a country club style locker room with a bunch of guys who can't self-motivate themselves. Meaning, he's the worst possible coach for managing the egos of this locker room. He's lost the room. 2 of his players have flat out called him out and don't respect him. The ones who like him as a person know he won't get on him so they're using this time as a paid vacation. He needs to be fired at seasons end or he's going to get seriously exposed next year, because I really don't see Bargnani and Jack (Who might be the teams top 2 players next year) really putting any sort of effort while playing for Jay. I could see this team next year having one of those 16-66 years where guys do nothing, but complain and come out with piss-poor effort. This locker room needs to be policed and put back on the right track, jay has proven he can't get the job done.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,548

Post#77 » by bballsparkin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:53 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:So the players say we were crap vs the Jazz in the media, but Jay thinks the effort was good.

Triano is protecting who? More and more convinced that he's an idiot.

Himself? Trying to keep his job by not making it seem like the players have tuned him out and don't respect him? I would be highly surprised to see JT as head coach next season.

should help with the lottery balls.
Jmatt12
Bench Warmer

Post#78 » by Jmatt12 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:54 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:I dont know if Triano will get canned, but his relationship with Bosh is too tight for it to happen.

Screw that. Bosh isn't running the team. BC should fire Triano TODAY.

I think we all no that we can't make organizational decisions based on what bosh wants b/c if he leaves we are still stuck with Jay.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 586

Post#79 » by timdunkit » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:58 am

I know alot of you are calling out Traino and I completely agree hes is a complete idiot ... but your team gets completely blown out? Do you honestly think they need one more person telling them there playing like ****? Somoene has to stay positive here ... Traino might be a complete idiot for saying he thought hte effort was good but hes just trying to protect his guys ... why pick up the bat when theres already like 100k ppl who have picked it up?
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,513

Post#80 » by dagger » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:58 am

I don't think effort is the main issue. It's strategy, talent and execution.

How can you have a hundred practices and still botch up so many entry passes? This team could have one game and six practices a week and it would never get better because Triano doesn't know how.

Here's something that bothered me more than anything Triano said after the game. In the papers today, I don't remember which one, he remarked that no matter how you defend the Jazz, "they have a counter for everything you do".

And I sat there dumbfounded thinking, "So we don't we have a counter for everything?" It felt like Triano was indicting himself!

Now people here know my viewpoint. We have a a very basic offensive strategy based on ISO Bosh + pick and roll. Everyone in the league knows you double Bosh, ball movement ends, and the saddest part of me is that half the team can't make a freaking entry pass. (Sonny Weems, you are one terrible passer.)

I've argued for years for a more complex offence with more cuts, more shots off screens, etc. I'd move my seats to the lower bowl if we installed the Princeton offence.

So we have the worst of both worlds. A stagnant, predictable offence coupled with terrible execution. Ya, we can pile up the points when the matchup is favorable, but good defences eat our lunch.

That's what bugs me the most. This might be a better team - at least one that makes good teams sweat - if we had a good coaching staff. I'm not arguing that Jay Triano is the only thing standing in the way of a title. Far from it, but this group plays a lot worse than it should, and at least a good part of that is because we have a bad offensive strategy and an abysmal defensive strategy which is overly dependent on switching bigs onto smalls and smalls onto bigs when we don't have the talent to pull that off.

And while Triano could motivate a talentless national team, he knows nothing about motivating a bunch of professionals. The best motivation, of course, is confidence, and this team has no confidence in itself or in its leadership.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER

Return to Toronto Raptors