ImageImageImageImageImage

Tim Leiweke leaving MLSE in 2015 (Update pg 20)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, HiJiNX, niQ, Reeko, lebron stopper

Who do you blame for Tim Leiweke's departure?

Tim Leiweke
17%
Rogers/Bell dysfunction
49%
His family
27%
Bon Jovi
5%
Who cares? I'm glad to see him gone
3%

Total votes: 270

steamed hams
General Manager
And1: 19,431

Re: Tim Leiweke leaving MLSE in 2015 (Update pg 20) 

Post#781 » by steamed hams » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:51 am

Bankai wrote:
Young_Buc wrote:
Bankai wrote:Not the first time some puckheads claim that raptor fans aren't "real Canadians..." Can't believe that these types would turn to racism to fuel their obsession.. The ugly side of Canada

Where is this?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WolstatSun/status/502801868645756928[/tweet]

The Raptors fanbase had to deal with types of tweets all season, about how Raptor Fans arent Canadians, they dont count and are an embarrassment to Canada. Or the only people who care about the Raptors are from Jane and Finch or Black. Or how Raptor Fans dodge bullets when not watching Thugs play a "Sport"

Im Asian, and I cant help it if the Raptors and Basketball is very popular among immigrants. But that doesent make me any less Canadian if I hold it in higher regard than the Leafs/Hockey.

Yeah it's mostly the older white crowd. I have three white friends who actually hate hockey and only watch basketball and NFL lol, but their parents are immigrants (Poland, Germany) and they haven't been raised to love hockey from birth just because their parents do.

It basically comes down to this IMO: hockey isn't popular among non-whites because it's such an expensive sport to begin with. Skates, sticks, helmets, all that gear is freaking. For basketball all you need is a ball and a hoop and you're good to go, and there's no maintenance needed for your gear except for shoes. If your family hasn't been here at least a generation they aint gonna spend money on that.
RandomRaptorfan
Veteran
And1: 2,412

Post#782 » by RandomRaptorfan » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:29 am

I hope when TL leaves he airs out some dirty laundry and exposes these crooked execs at MLSE....
Marmoset
Veteran
And1: 563

Post#783 » by Marmoset » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:41 am

After reflecting on this a little, I think this was inevitable.

The current ownership structure is dysfunctional by its nature. Even having a 'yes man' is unlikely to work for long, because who exactly is that 'yes man' reporting to? Rogers? Bell? Tanenbaum? Drake?

I don't think anyone will be able to last very long in this position when the owners will never be able to get along and come to a consensus on a regular basis. Ultimately, the best we can hope for (besides new ownership) is that the person who replaces Leiweke will be someone who allows the various GMs to do their job with minimal interference. Winning will paper over most of the problems in MLSE, at least for the public and the media.

I don't think they will hire a hockey-only person though. I think as dysfunctional as they are, they realize there is money to be made beyond the Maple Leafs, and if there is one thing they understand, it's dollar signs.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#784 » by Geddy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:01 am

With the quarreling going on between Rogers and Bell I want to know how in the world a partnership between two rivals was ever approved.
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
aw8
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,570

Post#785 » by aw8 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:08 am

With Leiweke leaving, how soon are we gonna start the tank nation.
Jordan1498
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#786 » by Jordan1498 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:58 am

The Boy wrote:Im watching Tim & Sid and im disgusted... god forbid that the Leafs don't prosper more than Raps and TFC

Sent from my SGH-I337M using RealGM Forums mobile app

Know where I can watch a replay?
GED Education
General Manager
And1: 9,872

Post#787 » by GED Education » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Geddy wrote:With the quarreling going on between Rogers and Bell I want to know how in the world a partnership between two rivals was ever approved.

It's like as if Nike and Adidas joined forces or Coke or Pepsi.
Stupid Quote Hall of Fame:

Hue Durant wrote:demar has no use on this team

James has come back to toronto completely elite.
bill russell
Pro Prospect
And1: 65

Post#788 » by bill russell » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:20 pm

No doubt there is a measure of disfunction on the MLSE board. That's not why Leiweke is leaving.
It seems pretty clear in retrospect that he only came here in the first place because he had a non-compete.
The tension on the board was something he was brought in to manage, not exacerbate.
Unfortunately, he made it clear from his first press conference that his own ego was more important than the MLSE brand. It was all about Leiweke, all the time.
Spending so much on TFC was stupid from a business point of view. MLSE will never recoup it. Was a Leiweke vanity project.
Leiweke has taken personal credit for everything that's gone right, and blamed the board for everything that hasn't.
If you're a pro sports owner and you're looking at the mess he's leaving in Toronto, you run screaming from him. He's an unreliable, self-aggrandizing, bullying, spendthrift ****.
In my humble opinion.
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#789 » by LastNameEver » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:21 pm

bill russell wrote:No doubt there is a measure of disfunction on the MLSE board. That's not why Leiweke is leaving.
It seems pretty clear in retrospect that he only came here in the first place because he had a non-compete.
The tension on the board was something he was brought in to manage, not exacerbate.
Unfortunately, he made it clear from his first press conference that his own ego was more important than the MLSE brand. It was all about Leiweke, all the time.
Spending so much on TFC was stupid from a business point of view. MLSE will never recoup it. Was a Leiweke vanity project.
Leiweke has taken personal credit for everything that's gone right, and blamed the board for everything that hasn't.
If you're a pro sports owner and you're looking at the mess he's leaving in Toronto, you run screaming from him. He's an unreliable, self-aggrandizing, bullying, spendthrift ****.
In my humble opinion.
what floor do you work at in MLSE corp ? I want to send you something

Sent from my SGH-I337M using RealGM Forums mobile app
Scase
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#790 » by Scase » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:44 pm

bill russell wrote:No doubt there is a measure of disfunction on the MLSE board. That's not why Leiweke is leaving.
In my humble opinion.

Yeah cause everything has been sunshine and roses since before he got here right? The only REAL star we've ever had we ran out of town due to stupid crap like not giving his mother a god damned parking spot. Your facking franchise player asks for a parking spot and you deny it.....

It's that kind of petty bull that will always keep the Raps and Leafs crappy teams.

This team as always, will forever be a joke as long as they are owned by MLSE.
Props TZ!
tms
Veteran
And1: 2,198

Post#791 » by tms » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:09 pm

i hope this means the ACC can take down that silly Bon Jovi banner
kevindurant1
Junior
And1: 162

Post#792 » by kevindurant1 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:01 am

sosallycanwait wrote:
Bankai wrote:
Young_Buc wrote:
It basically comes down to this IMO: hockey isn't popular among non-whites because it's such an expensive sport to begin with. Skates, sticks, helmets, all that gear is freaking. For basketball all you need is a ball and a hoop and you're good to go, and there's no maintenance needed for your gear except for shoes. If your family hasn't been here at least a generation they aint gonna spend money on that.

Uh yeah I dont buy that. Access doesnt equal popularity. That is like saying boxing fans like to watch it because they used to box before.

We arent a third world country. Most people here can afford skates/stick and a puck, you can even play roller hockey during summer. Many free/cheap indoor outdoor rinks all over Canada.

Basketball you have to play indoors most of the time unless its summer and good weather. Most of the time you still gotta pay to play.

Baseball/Football you can really only play during summer.

It only gets expensive when you actually join leagues. I think non-whites in Canada prefer other sports is because they simply do not find sports that are played in ice/snow attractive.
mosdef
Sophomore
And1: 167

Post#793 » by mosdef » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:23 am

GED Education wrote:
Geddy wrote:With the quarreling going on between Rogers and Bell I want to know how in the world a partnership between two rivals was ever approved.

It's like as if Nike and Adidas joined forces or Coke or Pepsi.

maybe they thought it was like Right Twix factory and Left Twix factory joining forces
DJ_RnC
Analyst
And1: 5,231

Post#794 » by DJ_RnC » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:40 am

As sad as it is that Tim is leaving, I think the biggest thing here is who his replacement will be.

If ownership focuses on bringing in a puckhead then **** everything about MLSE and Bell/Rogers
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,849

Post#795 » by Bankai » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:13 am

DJ_RnC wrote:As sad as it is that Tim is leaving, I think the biggest thing here is who his replacement will be.

If ownership focuses on bringing in a puckhead then **** everything about MLSE and Bell/Rogers

You know they are bringing someone who will focus on Hockey since that's a big reason why Tim is getting canned, he wasent focused on it as much as they thought he should.
hillbilly hare
Veteran
And1: 219

Post#796 » by hillbilly hare » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:32 pm

A shame, but not the end of the world.

Leiweke did his part. He did more for the team's future success in one month than a lot of people associated with the Raptors organization have done in years: he fired Clownangelo.

Good luck Tim and thanks for all you did for the franchise!
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#797 » by TheGoodDoctor » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:00 pm

We're screwed....as usual.
overdose
Analyst
And1: 1,506

Post#798 » by overdose » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:43 pm

Bankai wrote:
DJ_RnC wrote:As sad as it is that Tim is leaving, I think the biggest thing here is who his replacement will be.

You know they are bringing someone who will focus on Hockey since that's a big reason why Tim is getting canned, he wasent focused on it as much as they thought he should.

None of this is true :lol:
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 16,474

Post#799 » by ForeverTFC » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:46 pm

Rumours that Defoe wants out of Toronto (move to QPR) due to Leiweke leaving ...
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#800 » by BramptonYute » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:17 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:Rumours that Defoe wants out of Toronto (move to QPR) due to Leiweke leaving ...

Theres gotta be a curse on this city. :noway:

Return to Toronto Raptors