ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2019 Offseason Training Thread (Update: New Pascal Footage)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 16,046

Re: Official 2019 Offseason Training Thread (Update: New Pascal Footage) 

Post#781 » by Jcity08 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:14 am

Raptorfan2012 wrote:One more rook I am very curious about is Konate too; guy looks like a beast but too bad he is still going through rehab on his knee. The fact that they are taking on an injured player into training camp means Masai and team must be really high on him.

I'm really intrigued with his whole story, growing up playing soccer and only got into ballkestball 5 years ago.

In his last year in West Virginia, while its a small sample size, he looks to have grown as a half decent shooter and I'm glad thats an area of his game he's already trying to improve. He has room to improve his passing game, it'd be great if he became a lite version of Draymond, thats my hope.

https://stats.nba.com/amp/2019-nba-draft-profile-sagaba-konate
Among the most impactful defenders in college basketball over the last two years. Proved to be a very prolific rebounder and shot blocker sitting in wait at the back of West Virginia’s full court press. Uses verticality well when contesting shots is not shy about challenging dunkers right at the rim. Rotates aggressively to the weakside. Emotional competitor who avoids fouls better some times than others.

The fact that he's a great weakside defender out the gate makes me so happy, the all defensive lineups we'll have in the future are going to be fun to watch.

Also his nearly 3 blocks a game college average is music to my ears.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,226

Post#782 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:48 am

Jcity08 wrote:
Raptorfan2012 wrote:One more rook I am very curious about is Konate too; guy looks like a beast but too bad he is still going through rehab on his knee. The fact that they are taking on an injured player into training camp means Masai and team must be really high on him.

I'm really intrigued with his whole story, growing up playing soccer and only got into ballkestball 5 years ago.

In his last year in West Virginia, while its a small sample size, he looks to have grown as a half decent shooter and I'm glad thats an area of his game he's already trying to improve. He has room to improve his passing game, it'd be great if he became a lite version of Draymond, thats my hope.

Among the most impactful defenders in college basketball over the last two years. Proved to be a very prolific rebounder and shot blocker sitting in wait at the back of West Virginia’s full court press. Uses verticality well when contesting shots is not shy about challenging dunkers right at the rim. Rotates aggressively to the weakside. Emotional competitor who avoids fouls better some times than others.

The fact that he's a great weakside defender out the gate makes me so happy, the all defensive lineups we'll have in the future are going to be fun to watch.

His shot blocking is pretty amazing

;t=116s

Its hard to look at him and not think Ben Wallace even though we would be best to avoid that comp
Jcity08
RealGM

Post#783 » by Jcity08 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:16 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:

;t=116s

Its hard to look at him and not think Ben Wallace even though we would be best to avoid that comp

Those two handed swats are amazing, the elevation and the body control you need to have to pull that off is insane, not to mention the strength needed to meet and stop a player mid dunk like that.

The fact that he went undrafted still gets to me, we might have ourselves a draft steal.

HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#784 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:16 am

Jcity08 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:

;t=116s

Those two handed swats are amazing, the elevation and the body control you need to have to pull that off is insane, not to mention the strength needed to meet and stop a player mid dunk like that.

The fact that he went undrafted still gets to me, we might have ourselves a draft steal.

Hes shows signs of a jumper too

I love Konate been keeping an eye on him for a while i really hope he is another steal for Masai
ghettobplayer
Sophomore
And1: 287

Post#785 » by ghettobplayer » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:37 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

;t=116s

I love Konate been keeping an eye on him for a while i really hope he is another steal for Masai

I see more of a Kenyon Martin type? Kenyon's game would be similar in today's game. More of an energy guy off the bench rather than a player you run your offense through. I watched the first 30 seconds and thats the player that came to mind and I have been watching since 98.
super_balls
Starter
And1: 1,837

Post#786 » by super_balls » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:16 pm

ghettobplayer wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:

I see more of a Kenyon Martin type? Kenyon's game would be similar in today's game. More of an energy guy off the bench rather than a player you run your offense through. I watched the first 30 seconds and thats the player that came to mind and I have been watching since 98.

I think it's the physique but he reminds me of Antonio Davis - he's not a quick-twitch as Kenyon more sturdy and bulky like Davis.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,327

Post#787 » by Raptorfan2012 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:08 pm

super_balls wrote:
ghettobplayer wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

I think it's the physique but he reminds me of Antonio Davis - he's not a quick-twitch as Kenyon more sturdy and bulky like Davis.

Konate definitely reminds me of an Antonio Davis type but with a 3 point shot. One thing I am curious about though is whether Konate can put the ball on the floor and drive from time to time. So far I see post ups and (slow) catch and shoot 3s. I know he had knee problems (hence why he went undrafted), but hopefully he has been using the summer to work on his dribbling and maybe agility.
super_balls
Starter
And1: 1,837

Post#788 » by super_balls » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:22 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:
super_balls wrote:
ghettobplayer wrote:I see more of a Kenyon Martin type? Kenyon's game would be similar in today's game. More of an energy guy off the bench rather than a player you run your offense through. I watched the first 30 seconds and thats the player that came to mind and I have been watching since 98.

Konate definitely reminds me of an Antonio Davis type but with a 3 point shot. One thing I am curious about though is whether Konate can put the ball on the floor and drive from time to time. So far I see post ups and (slow) catch and shoot 3s. I know he had knee problems (hence why he went undrafted), but hopefully he has been using the summer to work on his dribbling and maybe agility.

In that highlight video, he had one nice drive that ended with a dump-off pass over a defender but at this point, I don't see a need for working on dribbling. If he can develop in a 3 and D big that would be solid. Also, Davis did a have a nice mid-range shot, if he played in this era I don't see why he wouldn't develop that as well.
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 489

Post#789 » by Smalltown » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:29 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:I love Konate been keeping an eye on him for a while i really hope he is another steal for Masai

Me as well I was honestly thinking he'd go mid to top of the second round and was hoping we'd buy a higher pick than we had. The fact that we got him and Dewan in the same draft that we only had pick #59 still blows my mind.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#790 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:50 pm

Smalltown wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:I love Konate been keeping an eye on him for a while i really hope he is another steal for Masai

Me as well I was honestly thinking he'd go mid to top of the second round and was hoping we'd buy a higher pick than we had. The fact that we got him and Dewan in the same draft that we only had pick #59 still blows my mind.

Both missing most or all of the season has really played in our favour

It will be interesting how they look in preseason.

Konates perimeter defense will be something I’m especially paying attention too
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 489

Post#791 » by Smalltown » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:05 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Smalltown wrote:

Both missing most or all of the season has really played in our favour

For sure both missing time played in our favour. But what i like about that is that our team and our medical staff is confident enough to put time into these guys. Other teams are just scared. Or once they get a guy with an injury issue they don't know what to do about it.
Jcity08
RealGM

Post#792 » by Jcity08 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:16 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:Both missing most or all of the season has really played in our favour

Do you think Konate will be making training camp in a few days, I haven't been following his injury status.

HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#793 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:43 pm

Jcity08 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:Both missing most or all of the season has really played in our favour

Do you think Konate will be making training camp in a few days, I haven't been following his injury status.

Iirc he hasn’t been cleared for 5v5 all summer so probably won’t play.

Blake Murphy wrote about how he signed here because he trusts our medical staff so he will probably rehab and then play 905 most of the year
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,231

Post#794 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:57 pm

Smalltown wrote:

Not only those two, but the apparent second coming of Jrue Holiday in TDJ.

Not knowing anything about the draft, I find it amusing to see guys on here speculate about how the great genius Masai has picked up even more gems at the bottom of or outside the draft. But if any one of these three guys hit to - say - FVV level, I'm putting up $1000 for the MU statute. That would just be ridiculous. Other organizations should then swoop in and hire our scouts to be their GMs, and/or offer Masai $20 mill/yr + ownership stake. We've already seen the sad sack Magic under Weltman get to the playoffs for the first time in forever. What are other teams waiting for?
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,491

Post#795 » by YelloC » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:46 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:
super_balls wrote:
ghettobplayer wrote:I see more of a Kenyon Martin type? Kenyon's game would be similar in today's game. More of an energy guy off the bench rather than a player you run your offense through. I watched the first 30 seconds and thats the player that came to mind and I have been watching since 98.

His postgame and physique reminds me of Maxiell but Konate looks like the better shot blocker. I’m seeing a Maxiell floor with a jumper.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,034

Post#796 » by anotherhomer » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:22 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:

Enjoy

I don't think Pascal jumper is working too well....in practices, he has a low release point because it's essentially a set shot

hence he's not able to use it in during actual games
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,692

Post#797 » by sbsat » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:55 pm

anotherhomer wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:

Enjoy

I don't think Pascal jumper is working too well....in practices, he has a low release point because it's essentially a set shot

a set shot is all he needs - he is so proficient and driving and post-ups, the threat he can hit a set shot will impair a player's ability to defend him.
KingSebastian
Rookie
And1: 1,219

Post#798 » by KingSebastian » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:13 pm

sbsat wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:

Enjoy

a set shot is all he needs - he is so proficient and driving and post-ups, the threat he can hit a set shot will impair a player's ability to defend him.
People can't seriously expect him to come out dropping step back 3s and Dirk legged mid-range shots after 1 summer. Need to temper expectations. He will be better but he won't be an mvp player.... not yet

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,983

Post#799 » by Kevin Willis » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:15 am

tecumseh18 wrote:
Smalltown wrote:

Not only those two, but the apparent second coming of Jrue Holiday in TDJ.

Not knowing anything about the draft, I find it amusing to see guys on here speculate about how the great genius Masai has picked up even more gems at the bottom of or outside the draft. But if any one of these three guys hit to - say - FVV level, I'm putting up $1000 for the MU statute. That would just be ridiculous. Other organizations should then swoop in and hire our scouts to be their GMs, and/or offer Masai $20 mill/yr + ownership stake. We've already seen the sad sack Magic under Weltman get to the playoffs for the first time in forever. What are other teams waiting for?

True but Masai does do some trickery. He's getting guys that should've been selected but had issues - knee injury, scandal and not well known. TD will most likely stick in the league and the other two are back-end guys. So I agree we need to control expectations but Masai is good at taking safe risks other GMs wouldn't do.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,492

Post#800 » by Mikistan » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:40 am

KingSebastian wrote:
sbsat wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:

People can't seriously expect him to come out dropping step back 3s and Dirk legged mid-range shots after 1 summer. Need to temper expectations. He will be better but he won't be an mvp player.... not yet

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

He will slow down his mind as he continues to learn the game through body movement permeatations - he is still mentally agile young playing the game having started it later in life, and he's been developing at the highest levels, next to some great performers to continue learning

He will get the game reps for 82 games and then the loaf (Giannis like) for 35+ mins a night in the playoffs so some of those possessions will be shots - you can't always go to the rim

If he gets hot or makes adjustments in season

Understands the face up game a bit more and elects to use separation from drives or screens to step into set shots,
Siakam is long enough that defenders won't be able to alter the shot if he tightens it up and focuses.

Look at the way klay Thompson was roasting fvv and Lowry in the finals on those turn around pull ups, its like you know you have the space so just shoot your shot from a practiced range and trust it! Splash

I'm more interested in SIAKAMS Defense with the heavy load to come

His rookie year he played next to DeRozan and may have picked up some bad habits
Siakam tries hard but has a tendency to step up too high above the 3pt line and get beat on first actions or be left trailing playing over compensation dball
Or
Getting bodied inside on defensive rebounds
He looks bigger this year but if he gets tired or starts to give up on plays on defense the void from Kawhi's elite defensive rebounding and Danny green utility might be glaring.

Norm and OG will be big in providing secondary action initiation, and overall spacing, and safety valve for siakam kick outs or resets.

We need 3s to compete so all of them need to let fly and be shot ready but be ready to move and fill open space to play team ball.

Return to Toronto Raptors