ImageImageImageImageImage

Head Coach isn't it

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, HiJiNX, niQ, Reeko, lebron stopper

ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,424

Re: Head Coach isn't it 

Post#81 » by ciueli » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:10 pm

ItsDanger wrote:In terms of game management, Darko has been very disappointing. But there may be a reason they chose a development/Euro style coach beyond what we see.

The reason is it was an overreaction to the 2022-2023 team's perceived selfishness. Darko told Masai exactly what he wanted to hear, that everything he was going to do was emphasize ball movement and passing and Masai ate it up because Masai is all about doing things differently than every other team. The vision 6'9" experiment failed? Next we'll try a coach who is going to get all our guys to play like they are on a European basketball team and no one averages over 20PPG. Just ignore the fact that every 5 seed or better in the NBA right now has at least one player averaging over 24PPG...
grimlock
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,514

Post#82 » by grimlock » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:14 pm

binjumper wrote:what is wrong with this fan base. wtf did you think rebuilding was going to be like?

I don't think anyone is expecting this team to win right now BUT... we're losing in the most demoralizing way possible with teams laughing it up trying to run up the score, while our leader is busy sulking and being childish. I thought we'd be rewarding the great play of our young guys like Grady for playing the right way, instead of giving minutes to guys mailing it in like Trent who has looked horrible since the day after his 44 point game. I thought it would look like a team with pride, getting angry when they're being blown out and not joking around with the other team. This is a total culture collapse happening before our eyes.

Its on the coach.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 16,119

Post#83 » by dTox » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:17 pm

To be frank, I don't know what the answer to this situation is. I am fairly confident that he's not a great coach, but I am equally confident that we do not need a great (or even a good coach) for this year (and possibly even next).
TBZ for the win
rapsincr
Starter
And1: 2,334

Post#84 » by rapsincr » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:51 pm

lol, this has to be the same account that created the barnes isnt an all star thread.
MiamiSPX
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,602

Post#85 » by MiamiSPX » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:59 pm

rapsincr wrote:lol, this has to be the same account that created the barnes isnt an all star thread.

Lol, good catch.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 65,176

Post#86 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:03 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
rapsincr wrote:lol, this has to be the same account that created the barnes isnt an all star thread.

Lol, good catch.

rimkilla and geokilla

tomorrow, 'is RJ Barrett even Canadian' by slimkilla
rapsincr
Starter
And1: 2,334

Post#87 » by rapsincr » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:06 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

Lol, good catch.

rimkilla and geokilla

LOL.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 3,243

Post#88 » by Merit » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:47 pm

JB7 wrote:
Merit wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Pops and Nurse were championship coaches. Thibs has turned around so many teams. Clearly they are excellent and experienced coaches, so I think it would be safe to say they are stronger at game plans and in game management than Darko.

The point of the comment is context. That is what those players just experienced, and therefore their expectations are probably much higher.

Good thing for the next coach, the starting point of comparison for the players will now be Darko.

Again, you have no idea of how things are internally. You’re focusing on results after a short period of time. Are you also the person who gives up after going to the gym once?

Listening to some of the podcasters who have been around teams (players & coaches) and who have been following the game for much of their lives, one big thing that has been mentioned about coaches is them having the buy-in from the team's star player. If that player doesn't have their back, they are not going to be running that team for long.

Scottie leaving the court to go to the dressing room even before the game is done, speaks volumes about what he probably thinks of the coach, and how things are going with the team.

The Bucks hired and then fired Griffin because of Giannis.

The team is now past the halfway point of the season. And while there has been a lot of turnover, the idea is the players brought in are to support Scottie's development more, and should be more cohesive with his style of play. The Raps FO hasn't traded the old core for just draft picks. They have brought real players in, who have contributed to winning teams. So I think the FO would be expecting the performance of the team to gradually improve, not get substantially worse.

I don't think they will fire Darko immediately, partly because it would be hard to bring in a replacement now, but I doubt he is back next season.

I hear you on Scottie. Is it possible that he just had a bad game and needed some space to be? Because iirc there were similar behaviours present with Nick Nurse. This isn’t something new. The pouting has been happening from time.
I believe in Masai.
rim_killa
Pro Prospect
And1: 251

Post#89 » by rim_killa » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:54 am

MiamiSPX wrote:

Lol, good catch.

News to me
Merit
Head Coach

Post#90 » by Merit » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:35 am

ciueli wrote:
Wasp wrote:People love to scream "THEY SHOULD TANK!" until they do, and then all of a sudden it's all about how everyone sucks because the team is losing. Here's a tip for you and all of the other whiners out there - young teams lose a lot, even if they have good young players on them, regardless of how good or bad the coach is.

I've seen so many posts like this. "You were whining about how our team should rebuild, now you're whining about how bad our team is, there's no pleasing you!"

We wanted to rebuild when it was the right time to rebuild, when our players still had good value and trading them would get us good rebuilding pieces in return. And if we were going to rebuild, we wanted to rebuild around picks, preferably in a good draft with high lottery picks, most importantly our own pick. Instead, here we are, rebuilding around a bunch of mediocre players headed into the worst draft in a decade with likely no good draft pick until 2025 at earliest, and maybe not even then because Masai in his infinite wisdom is still trying to push for the play-in tournament by trading away first rounders for established players.

You're complaining about us complaining when you should be complaining about how Masai completely missed the boat on a rebuild and has doomed this team to many years of hopelessness.

I feel you’re leaning into our missing on Wemby when he handed it to us yesterday. Okay, to a certain extent. I’m fairly certain our plan at the time was to re-sign Fred and run it back with a full season of Fred/OG/Scottie/Pascal/Poeltl. That fell apart and we pivoted.

As you say, it’s the worst draft in decades. One thing I feel comfortable with is the FO’s ability to draft and find talent. If they deem Agbaji better than what we would pick up with the 29th pick, AND we get Kelly Olynyk - a hometown player and floor spacing Centre along with him, I’d call that a win. Consider we also have the 31st pick and the 18th as well and I’m comfy with the options.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think our rebuild window is more than two years. Consider Scottie’s salary is set to rise shortly.

Consider also that if we’re as bad as you say we are, we’ll get a top 5 pick in a draft next year that should be a fair bit better than this year. And if we’re crappy again we only give up two seconds. So - worst case scenario, if we suck, we get better picks and even better players.

Like yeah, we’re supposed to be crappy this year. It’s by design and gives the kids time to grow.
I believe in Masai.
Chalky_White
Pro Prospect
And1: 689

Post#91 » by Chalky_White » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:08 am

Koreen's latest story included a quote from Darko where he said that at this point in practices theyre mostly focusing on themselves and how they want to play. They arent really focusing on opponent-specific details for the time being.

I think we have our answer as to why the team seems so unprepared during games.
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,424

Post#92 » by ciueli » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:33 pm

Merit wrote:
I feel you’re leaning into our missing on Wemby when he handed it to us yesterday. Okay, to a certain extent. I’m fairly certain our plan at the time was to re-sign Fred and run it back with a full season of Fred/OG/Scottie/Pascal/Poeltl. That fell apart and we pivoted.

If that was the plan it was a bad one because:
1) A starting lineup with 3 non or poor 3 point shooters doesn't work in the NBA in the 2020s.
2) The amount of money it was going to take to keep all those players meant paying the luxury tax, not something MLSE does outside the Kawhi season.
3) None of those players are tier 1 stars, Siakam is at best a top 15 guy (being extremely charitable to Pascal). MLSE is REALLY not paying the tax for that kind of team.

Merit wrote:As you say, it’s the worst draft in decades. One thing I feel comfortable with is the FO’s ability to draft and find talent. If they deem Agbaji better than what we would pick up with the 29th pick, AND we get Kelly Olynyk - a hometown player and floor spacing Centre along with him, I’d call that a win. Consider we also have the 31st pick and the 18th as well and I’m comfy with the options.

With respect to the Agbaji/Olynyk trade there are many good reasons Utah is dumping them on us: Agbaji has shown absolutely nothing in a year and a half, he's an older player because he was a 4 year college player (24 by the end of the season), and he is owed significant money for both of the next two seasons, much more than a fringe prospect like him should be making.

To be blunt, this was a bad move and simply reinforces that Masai is extremely biased when it comes to his Africa guys (he was recently in tears on live camera talking about how important it was to him to win a title specifically with multiple players from Africa). He has blinders when it comes to players from his home country, evidence is Precious Achiuwa and Christian Koloko, probably Jordan Nwora too, though that is TBD, Agbaji is just another example of him being desperate to build a team around African players.

Olynyk is also a pointless move, we will have cap space in the offseason and easily could have signed him that way, it doesn't make sense to sign him at all if we're trying to bottom out because he's in his 30s at the end of his career, this team won't be good before Kelly is out of the league (next season is his year 33 season for a career journeyman, he's already a fringe NBA player at his age).

Merit wrote:I could be wrong, but I don’t think our rebuild window is more than two years. Consider Scottie’s salary is set to rise shortly.

Consider also that if we’re as bad as you say we are, we’ll get a top 5 pick in a draft next year that should be a fair bit better than this year. And if we’re crappy again we only give up two seconds. So - worst case scenario, if we suck, we get better picks and even better players.

If you really think our rebuild is only 2 years, you're going to be disappointed, the only way that happens is if we luck out in the draft the next 2 years and get a future star who develops extremely quickly. Realistically most stars take 3+ years of development, we won't get one this year because we'll likely lose the pick and even if we don't it's a weak draft. Next year even if we luck out the player we draft probably won't be ready to win until 2027-28 at the earliest. DeMar Derozan took until year 5 of his career to be an All-Star so it might take until 2029-30, all this assumes we actually find a star level player in either 2024 or 2025, which is not guaranteed. Many bottom feeder teams go half a decade or more without finding a surefire top level talent in the draft and that's with additional picks and perennial top 5 selections.

Merit wrote:Like yeah, we’re supposed to be crappy this year. It’s by design and gives the kids time to grow.

This level of failure wasn't by design, if it was they would never have signed a veteran like Dennis Schroder to a 2 year deal, then dumped his salary in just half a season by taking back Spencer Dinwiddie and waiving him. It's clear they thought the same thing many on this board thought: Fred and Nick are the problems and replacing them and sharing the ball is going to solve everything.

Now Masai has trapped us in this weird place where our team isn't quite bad enough to have a good chance to land a top 5 pick every year going forward, but also not good enough to even push for the play-in. Literally the worst place to be, all us Raptor fans have to hold on to is the hope that we miraculously keep the 2024, 2025, and 2026 picks and we land a future star against all odds.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 51,797

Post#93 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:39 pm

It isn't the coach. This is what happens when you trade away your best players. People that wanted them all traded and now are blaming the coach are just trying to find some level of cope.

At least he's trying to develop players and not play starters only for years on end.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#94 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:48 pm

Merit wrote:I’m quite disappointed to hear Scottie left the bench before the end of the game. That’s some bull sheet. He’s gotta be better than that.

How do you put that on the coach?

They showed him going down the hall on the broadcast. You had to know something would be said.
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,724

Post#95 » by sbsat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:50 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:It isn't the coach. This is what happens when you trade away your best players. People that wanted them all traded and now are blaming the coach are just trying to find some level of cope.

At least he's trying to develop players and not play starters only for years on end.

Im ani-tank to the fullest and watching the raptors play this season is a reason why. But I also don't think Darko will ever coach another NBA team ever again. The team too often comes out unprepared, unmotivated. The sheer magnitude with which they are losing games and some of their habits -- particularly on defense -- are indications of poor coaching. We saw these things pre-trades as well.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#96 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm

sbsat wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:It isn't the coach. This is what happens when you trade away your best players. People that wanted them all traded and now are blaming the coach are just trying to find some level of cope.

Im ani-tank to the fullest and watching the raptors play this season is a reason why. But I also don't think Darko will ever coach another NBA team ever again. The team too often comes out unprepared, unmotivated. The sheer magnitude with which they are losing games and some of their habits -- particularly on defense -- are indications of poor coaching. We saw these things pre-trades as well.

Were these common under Nurse? The answer is yes, very much. This isn't an overnight fix obviously but it is happening less at least. Mostly, they just kind of suck.
positivetension
Veteran
And1: 1,166

Post#97 » by positivetension » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:11 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

Lol, good catch.

rimkilla and geokilla

Send da video
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,210

Post#98 » by ConSarnit » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:37 pm

I think people are missing a few key factors of the past 2-3 years: our offense was really only good when Siakam was on the floor and the defense was really only good when OG was on the floor (though not to the extent that Siakam buoyed our offense). In the past 8 months we've lost our 2 most impactful offensive players (Siakam and FVV) and our best defensive player (OG). Because the team was not great with those guys people underestimated their impact. Nurse rode those guys into the ground and that's what lead to wins.

I'm willing to take a step back schematically if it benefits player development down the line. It's tough to find a coach who can scheme at a high level AND develop players. If Darko can't hack it when it comes to x's and o's (given the nature of this team I don't even know if he's good or not) we can replace him in 2-3 years when we are hopefully ready to compete at a high level. Right now we should really only care about player development. If Darko can do that it will be enough for me.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#99 » by Merit » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:04 pm

ciueli wrote:
bobbyp3588 wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:
Yeah, he seems like a decent hire now in that a coach who can develop young players and take on a ton of losses and didn't cost much makes sense. Then you probably fire him in 2027 or so and replace him with someone as sharp as Nurse when the team is ready to be good with Barnes and 2/3 top 10 picks around.

Or maybe he learns on the job, improves with experience and is that sharp coach we need when we’re ready to be good. It’s amazing how everyone is already assuming he’s a lame duck.

I’ll go out on a limb right here and now and predict that the next playoff game we win will be Darko’s first playoff victory as a head coach. He’s going to be here for awhile.

We're never a playoff with Darko as our head coach, I am absolutely certain of that. He might not get fired at the end of the season but he should be because he's the worst head coach we've had since Kevin O'Neill. And I say this as someone who literally hasn't complained about a head coach being bad since KO ruined our team with his horrible grind it out defence first system, Darko is doing the same type of thing with his "everybody must pass 100% of the time" system. This Spurs game is just the proof of it, even bad teams get crazy steals and runouts for easy dunks and layups because our team is oversharing the ball, this will only get worse as more teams scout us.

The worst part of all is that our team is now being built around this Darko international basketball .5 system where every player has to be a passer, that means ignoring players in the draft that are really good iso scorers but lack the passing gene (see: Gradey Dick over Cam Whitmore). We've seen Masai do this "concept" team building before with the vision 6'9" thing and this new "everybody pass" concept will probably turn out to be about as successful as that was.

Okay the everybody pass thing is being a bit overblown. However, the aim is to find inefficiencies. Passing is a market inefficiency. The focus is on ISO scoring. Don’t get me wrong, I was also about Cam at the draft.

I would also argue that Gradey will have a long career once he figures himself out. He’s already an amazing shooter and he and Scottie are incredibly complementary.

We only need one other player to “pop” and we can start expediting the rebuild. Or we could squire that player this offseason too.

Please don’t let one game blind you to the bigger picture.
I believe in Masai.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#100 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:18 pm

ConSarnit wrote:

I think people are missing a few key factors of the past 2-3 years: our offense was really only good when Siakam was on the floor and the defense was really only good when OG was on the floor (though not to the extent that Siakam buoyed our offense). In the past 8 months we've lost our 2 most impactful offensive players (Siakam and FVV) and our best defensive player (OG). Because the team was not great with those guys people underestimated their impact. Nurse rode those guys into the ground and that's what lead to wins.

I'm willing to take a step back schematically if it benefits player development down the line. It's tough to find a coach who can scheme at a high level AND develop players. If Darko can't hack it when it comes to x's and o's (given the nature of this team I don't even know if he's good or not) we can replace him in 2-3 years when we are hopefully ready to compete at a high level. Right now we should really only care about player development. If Darko can do that it will be enough for me.

Imagine that, they hire a rookie coach known for development, then they trade away their best players, and then they fire the rookie development coach because he's not winning enough?

That would appear as pure bush league and pretty effing crazy. You have to be nuts to ask for that or think its happening.

I'm not sure how many years Darko is here, but they aren't making a change midseason after ripping the team apart under him. Which he also almost assuredly knew was coming from the start. Yep. This is all about development now.

Return to Toronto Raptors