ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors With The Third Highest Odds To Sign Ben Simmons

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,337

Re: Raptors With The Third Highest Odds To Sign Ben Simmons 

Post#81 » by brownbobcat » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:41 am

Thaddy wrote:If he came in a S&T for a low priced TO it couldn't be worse than a OPJ level signing.

Brown and Boucher for Simmons (90M - 3 years with TO).

WTF, hell no.
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 441

Post#82 » by manjusaka » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:41 am

The guys is worst than OJP right now. He just can’t stay on the court everything that is more than the veteran minimum is overpay for Ben Simmons.
deck
Sixth Man
And1: 1,110

Post#83 » by deck » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:28 pm

Simmons is not worth a roster spot, regardless of what kind of contract you can get him on.

This seems like a non-story. The only reason we are mentioned is we have cap space, and the US media probably thinks we are idiots.
Shakril
Starter
And1: 1,350

Post#84 » by Shakril » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:57 pm

I hope we sign him, just to see this Board burning.
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 441

Post#85 » by manjusaka » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:06 pm

Shakril wrote:I hope we sign him, just to see this Board burning.

I don’t mind if the cost isn’t high. His skill set fits our current system, and we do need a defender like him.
mieshpal
Veteran
And1: 2,013

Post#86 » by mieshpal » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:09 pm

I would sign him for league min, nothing more.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using RealGM mobile app
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,928

Post#87 » by Thaddy » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:38 pm

mieshpal wrote:I would sign him for league min, nothing more.

Why exactly would he want to sign here instead of somewhere else?

A non guaranteed deal for 1-3 years that pays him to the point that it's a no brainer is the only way we get Ben here.
brownbobcat
Head Coach

Post#88 » by brownbobcat » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:13 pm

Thaddy wrote:

A non guaranteed deal for 1-3 years that pays him to the point that it's a no brainer is the only way we get Ben here.

I'm not against taking risks, just not when the downside is that huge. We're talking 2 back surgeries + extensive time missed for non-surgical treatment. 57 games in 3 years - he makes OPJ look like an iron man in comparison and the last thing this team needs is someone who can't shoot a lick. Even the full MLE would be a disaster.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,492

Post#89 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:15 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
Thaddy wrote:

I'm not against taking risks, just not when the downside is that huge. We're talking 2 back surgeries + extensive time missed for non-surgical treatment. 57 games in 3 years - he makes OPJ look like an iron man in comparison and the last thing this team needs is someone who can't shoot a lick. Even the full MLE would be a disaster.

Yeah vet min or nothing IMO.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,352

Post#90 » by pilkoids » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:20 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
Thaddy wrote:

There's little risk/downside with signing him. If it doesnt work out, move on. The main question is how many other teams are willing to take that risk?

I'm against it - simply because i'm convinced it's just wasted effort and time. Ben doesn't want to play anymore - this much is clear to me.
brownbobcat
Head Coach

Post#91 » by brownbobcat » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:49 pm

pilkoids wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:
Thaddy wrote:Why exactly would he want to sign here instead of somewhere else?

There's little risk/downside with signing him. If it doesnt work out, move on. The main question is how many other teams are willing to take that risk?

I'm against it - simply because i'm convinced it's just wasted effort and time. Ben doesn't want to play anymore - this much is clear to me.

You can move on from any player. The downside is missing out on someone else you could've gotten instead. The upside is that you get someone who still doesn't fit with Barnes in the starting lineup, which means you can't pay him anything more than backup money. Not a big deal if you're a contender, but it matters you're starting from the bottom like this team.

And you're right, rehab is a long process that is 90% mental. I don't think he loves the game enough to see it all the way through.
mrsocko
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#92 » by mrsocko » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:48 pm

If we have the third highest odds out of 32 teams then we have no chance to sign him. What are the odds anyway. 1 in a million?
Dick expectation level 0/5
SaveTheHens
Analyst
And1: 1,823

Post#93 » by SaveTheHens » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:24 pm

Our odds are high because he may value our development team, and if we have a good vision to use him he might come here. If hes put in a right situation he can earn 10s of millions more on his next contracts. Hopefully hed sign a cheap two year deal with us to see if we can salvage him, overall hed be a decent fit if he can stay healthy
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,205

Post#94 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:17 am

CazOnReal wrote:Lotta people ignoring the context re: if Simmons was bought out

if Simmons was bought out, came for free, begged Masai to play for us. zip nada and hell no.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
newsletter
Junior
And1: 421

Post#95 » by newsletter » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:08 pm

He can be a nice backup to Barnes coming off the bench. Could be a good player in the 8-10th man spot, gives us maybe 10 min per game for 20 games in a season.
HoopAndTheHarm
Pro Prospect
And1: 588

Post#96 » by HoopAndTheHarm » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:28 pm

No. No. Uh uh. No. Nope. Hell no. No.
I've got a belt on that's holding up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up my belt. I don't know what's really happening down there. Who is the real hero? - Mitch Hedberg
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,839

Post#97 » by ash_k » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:42 am

ash_k wrote:I will always be a big fan of his, however he has just been injury-prone from DAY1 (foot, knee, back...)

pre-back injury with the Sixers/post-ATL series, with trade rumors around both Pascal and Ben..on paper, a starting 5 of FVV/Gary/OG/Ben/C felt elite defensively and tons of potential offensively with the 3pt shooting around Ben. But it would have been FVV and Gary on their own basically with OG and Ben injured. :lol:

Though I will let medical experts advise, back injuries expert:
MPJ had at least 2 back surgeries and has gone back to borderline all-star at times
What is causing Ben's back's inability to heal with all this modern technology? is the nature of his injury that much more severe than MPJ? The latter's career looked in jeopardy too!
I need that medical expert for PRO sport injury on Youtube to advise here?! he had advised about Scottie's injury

AND he never disappoints

Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,940

Post#98 » by JShuttlesworth » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:00 pm

Thaddy wrote:If he came in a S&T for a low priced TO it couldn't be worse than a OPJ level signing.

Olynyk - Poeltl
Barnes - Agbaji
Barrett - Dick
IQ - Trent
Simmons - Barnes

Potentially one of the worst takes in Raptors Real GM history
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,928

Post#99 » by Thaddy » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:26 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:

Olynyk - Poeltl
Barnes - Agbaji
Barrett - Dick
IQ - Trent
Simmons - Barnes

Potentially one of the worst takes in Raptors Real GM history

Name a FA we signed who wasn't past his prime and had a better peak than Simmons.

FAs don't want to come to Toronto, that means overpaying is necessary.

We have a development head coach that would help a player like Simmons.

Despite whatever you feel or think. Raptor management had taken a chance on OPJ of all players but you don't think they'd take a chance on a former all star and DPOY candidate.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,773

Post#100 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:28 pm

His career's over, second back surgery.

Return to Toronto Raptors