ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Fan 590 will not extend radio deal with Raptors...

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Re: OT: Fan 590 will not extend radio deal with Raptors... 

Post#61 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:42 pm

I opted for XM four years ago, and recently had to make the swap to Sirrus in the car.

I still listen to the Fan from time to time, Jack Armstrong really did have a lot to do with me coming back to the fan in the afternoon, as did the odd time they discussed basketball on the drive home, however Raps games was by far the primary reason why I opted to listen to the Fan over the past few years.

While I do enjoy hockey; you can only discuss so many times the exact same topic as it pertains to the Leafs over and over and over again before I would rather just listen to ESPN.

While Basketball fans may represent a small demographic of the Fans listening audience, a further reduction in Raptors talk and the elimination of games in general would give me no reason to bother.

Every talk station in the city talks Leafs, the fan offers nothing different in that regard.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#62 » by J-Roc » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:34 pm

FWIW, TSN took off when they embraced hockey fully. Now they can afford to toss basketball games on their secondary channel. Hockey would appear to be the way to go.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#63 » by Yosemite Dan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:17 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:Stormin' Norman also killed the Fan for me.

Un-listenable.

What I think killed Norman's so called career with the Fan was that he was in love with the Leafs for years calling them god's team blah, blah blah. if any caller dared criticized the Leafs Norm would go ballistic and do that inane hammerhead alert and so forth. Then one day out of the blue he declared that he hated the Leafs (Raps too I guess) and proceeded criticize them for every move and even after games they won. I guess the producers didn't like him continually slagging the home teams not to mention he did a complete about face with his Leafs allegiance and lost what little credibility he had.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#64 » by Courtside » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:35 pm

Any idea how they track listenership via radio? With TV it's a bit more straight forward, but with radio can they actually measure load on the airwaves or something?
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#65 » by J Dilla » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:38 pm

Let's put things into perspective

I'm a very casual hockey fan, I'll go to a few leaf games every year, watch 10-15 in a season, but I really hate it when they talk about hockey every time I turn the station on. Then when I think about it, it's pretty much the same back home for me. They don't talk basketball, they don't talk hockey, they only talk football. FOOTBALL FOOTBALL FOOTBALL. They'll talk hours on College **** football, and they'll dedicate 10-15 minutes on basketball or hockey if you're lucky. It's pretty sad their hosts can turn one minor event in the NFL into a 30 minute discussion.

Just like Americans love their football, Canadians love their hockey. The coverage and love for the sport is at an extreme in both countries, and there's really nothing you can do about it.
TorontoRapture
Sixth Man
And1: 978

Post#66 » by TorontoRapture » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:25 am

Wouldn't mind it if an FM radio station picked up Raptors games/content.
Guy Smiley
RealGM
And1: 491

Post#67 » by Guy Smiley » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:08 am

Courtside wrote:Any idea how they track listenership via radio? With TV it's a bit more straight forward, but with radio can they actually measure load on the airwaves or something?

I think it can be measured by the number of IL MAGO fans that post on Real GM.
UnRealGM
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,157

Post#68 » by UnRealGM » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am

best thing that could happen to the raps organization. maybe we'll finally see some lower ticket prices.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#69 » by J-Roc » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:32 am

So did the Fan590 have an option to extend the deal and they chose not to?? Or did the deal just expire like it usually does?
beno
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#70 » by beno » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am

At least Punjabi broadcast still on.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Post#71 » by The Duke » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:55 am

Way too premature.

Deals potentially expire all the time in business.

There has not been any refutable evidence that I've seen provded here that Fan 590 will not extend the deal.

I'll remind ALL users, that links need to be provided in the Opening Post when addressing another business unit.

Return to Toronto Raptors