ImageImageImageImageImage

VIA The Score Ticker: ESPN Reports Cavs contact Raptors

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Funky D
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Re: VIA The Score Ticker: ESPN Reports Cavs contact Raptors 

Post#41 » by Funky D » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:32 pm

At this point, we're not going to get much value in return.....so I hope to get rid of Hedo, Calderon, and Bosh's contracts. That is all. If Colangelo can do that - I am happy since we're going to suck for the next 2-3 years anyway.
Cool-Hand-Luke
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,530

Post#42 » by Cool-Hand-Luke » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:33 pm

Imagine the irony if the deal with Cleveland involved J. Moon and/or AP.......
sig by TZ
Kayjay
Banned User
And1: 180

Post#43 » by Kayjay » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:33 pm

Well, getting a few of Cleveland's role players is a decent return. I like Varejao, Williams, West, and Hickson.
PaperHoops
Junior
And1: 46

Post#44 » by PaperHoops » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:33 pm

I would rather take players from Cleveland than NY. Cleveland is in the habit of winning games, playoff battles and know what's expected to play at a high level.

If you bring in Lee, Curry, Chandler... I don't really see how they make an impact tbh. Lee is a great player, but he needs to go to a team where they are learning to win already - like OKC.

I would be happy to get a scoring guard, defensive big, scoring big - Cash, and a 1st rounder. That's a very good package for Bosh and Jose.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,216

Post#45 » by LLJ » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:34 pm

It better not be Shaq they're offering. If we're getting a scrub, at least let it be Varejao.
Kayjay
Banned User
And1: 180

Post#46 » by Kayjay » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:35 pm

Also has anyone ever seen Eyenga play?
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#47 » by dagger » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:35 pm

coolhandluke99 wrote:If Cleveland was Bosh's choice(which I highly doubt) I'd say let him walk. I do not care to help Cleveland win a championship by taking their useless players. I'd honestly rather have David Lee than any deal with Cleveland.

If Bosh wants to win, as he claims, then almost any situation he chooses should be a contender with him. So I don't see the concern.

As for a Cleveland deal, if it resulted in dumping Calderon and Turkuglu, and brought in a player like Varajeo and also reduced our current and future financial obligations, it would certainly facilitate/accelerate a turnaround.

I don't see it as likely to happen, but if it did, it would be better than Lee for 2011-12 and beyond.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,179

Post#48 » by mowcrowbar » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:35 pm

Cavs contact the Raptors so that means trade is going down? The **** people, stop thinking too into this.. Teams contact teams all the time, no need to panac or anything.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Post#49 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:36 pm

Kayjay wrote:Also has anyone ever seen Eyenga play?

id also like to know about him.
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
PaperHoops
Junior
And1: 46

Post#50 » by PaperHoops » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:37 pm

LLJ wrote:It better not be Shaq they're offering. If we're getting a scrub, at least let it be Varejao.

How is an all NBA defensive player a scrub? We should be so lucky to get a player who can drastically alter the culture in Toronto. We need stoppers and size. His offensive game isn't terrible anymore, as he's making that mid range jumper alot more now.

Bargs is enough of a gun slinger in the front court for my liking, so pairing him with a defensive minded player in the front court might even help him improve his defesnive rotations.
Cool-Hand-Luke
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,530

Post#51 » by Cool-Hand-Luke » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:42 pm

dagger wrote:
coolhandluke99 wrote:If Cleveland was Bosh's choice(which I highly doubt) I'd say let him walk. I do not care to help Cleveland win a championship by taking their useless players. I'd honestly rather have David Lee than any deal with Cleveland.

If Bosh wants to win, as he claims, then almost any situation he chooses should be a contender with him. So I don't see the concern.

As for a Cleveland deal, if it resulted in dumping Calderon and Turkuglu, and brought in a player like Varajeo and also reduced our current and future financial obligations, it would certainly facilitate/accelerate a turnaround.

I don't see it as likely to happen, but if it did, it would be better than Lee for 2011-12 and beyond.

Yes, if Turk and Calderon were both leaving for some cap relief I'd be all for it but I just don't see it. Would LeBron and Bosh want Cleveland completely gutted? For $37mill in contracts they'd have to match it certainly would be.

EDIT:If we are talking Turkoglu, Calderon, LeBron, Bosh and a bunch of scrubs how would they sell LeBron on that when comparing CHI, NJ, MIA?
sig by TZ
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#52 » by dagger » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:44 pm

coolhandluke99 wrote:
dagger wrote:

Yes, if Turk and Calderon were both leaving for some cap relief I'd be all for it but I just don't see it. Would LeBron and Bosh want Cleveland completely gutted? For $37mill in contracts they'd have to match it certainly would be. Would they want to team with Turkoglu and Calderon?

Well, let's be frank. Turkuglu might actually be an upgrade over Jamison who no-showed the playoffs. And I'm not sure Calderon is any worse than Mo Williams defensively, and if he has a good shooting year, he's a good pick and role point guard offensively.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#53 » by SDM » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:45 pm

Glad to see Chris Bosh turning a new leaf and wanting to be the Batman to LeBron's proton or something.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#54 » by brownbobcat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:46 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:Short of taking both Calderon and Turkoglu along with Bosh, I don't really like what Cleveland has to offer.

If we could dump Hedo for Jamison (on top of getting back Hickson, Varejao, Williams, 1st-rounder), I would do it in a second. Next year is a wash, so it's an opportunity to see how Bargnani would function with some defensive-minded bigs. They'd be looking at cap room in 2012 or a chance to trade Banks/Evans for some help at the wing during the trade deadline.
Dayne
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#55 » by Dayne » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:48 pm

If I could unload calderon (without a similar contract coming back in return) and get a future first or cash to buy another pick, I'd consider it for sure. But I'm not sure that such a trade could take place without a third team cause I don't think the cavs have any expirings. Besides that, they don't really have anything to offer us that could trump other team's offers. As for Jamison and Williams, they are nice players but they are overpaid. And there's just no way that they will take back Turk.
A_wildstabatanything
Lead Assistant
And1: 51

Post#56 » by A_wildstabatanything » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:50 pm

When it comes to a S&T with Bosh you want quality over quantity. Cleveland cannot offer that. You don't rebuild by assembling the role players first. That's completely backwards. I don't see any of their pieces netting us a whole lot if we were to turnaround and flip them somewhere else.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#57 » by Indeed » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:54 pm

Rapsobsessed7 wrote:to take Jose and Bosh in a S&T scenario the cavs would need to send 20.4 million thats excluding the TK jose has. Factor in though that if there is a deal with the Cavs Mo WIlliams and JJ Hickson would likely be coming back our way.

Maurice Williams $9,300,000
J.J. Hickson $1,528,920

so we would still need another 9.6 million or so to make the salaries match. Players on Cleveland left to trade would be.

Anderson Varejao $7,031,818
Antawn Jamison $13,358,905
Delonte West $4,500,000
Daniel Gibson $4,015,334
Jamario Moon $3,000,000
Anthony Parker $2,855,769
Sebastian Telfair $2,700,000
Leon Powe $915,852

* No 2010 1st round pick (owed to Washington)
* have the rights to christian eyenga (former 1st round pick in 2008 i believe)

so do they have anything? i wouldnt do it

Are you sure it is 20.4m?
9m + 17m = 26m without TK.

Mo Williams - 9m (same as Jose)
And another 17m to go...

They have Big Z playing behind Bosh, so it should be a good fit there.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,497

Post#58 » by bboyskinnylegs » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:01 pm

A Bosh s&t with Cleveland could actually be as bad as the VC trade... that's how bad their assets are.
cookieman
Sixth Man
And1: 192

Post#59 » by cookieman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:02 pm

Kayjay wrote:Also has anyone ever seen Eyenga play?

I saw him play a couple of times in Vegas last summer. Their roster didn't really interest me so I opted for the Warriors or Clippers instead when I had the chance.

Anyway, he is a terrific athlete. The dunks he was pulling in warmup were ridiculous. More explosive than DeRozan, probably a bit more length also. Can score around the basket but can't really shoot, and isn't physically strong enough to defend yet. But he was 20 years old, and the idea was that they would stash him in Europe and wait for him to develop. Apparently Cleveland changed their minds after his good summer league showing and wanted to sign him and have him play in the D League last season, but he opted to go back to Spain instead on a 3 year deal.

If ever there were a time when our unique executives could offer us insight - it's into Eyenga, a player from the Congo (Ujiri's domain), who has been playing the last few years professionally in Europe (Gherardini's domain). If this guy is actually a really good prospect surely the Raps brass above all others would know about it. You would hope, anyway.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#60 » by brownbobcat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:06 pm

A_wildstabatanything wrote:When it comes to a S&T with Bosh you want quality over quantity. Cleveland cannot offer that. You don't rebuild by assembling the role players first. That's completely backwards. I don't see any of their pieces netting us a whole lot if we were to turnaround and flip them somewhere else.

I agree in principle, but you're not going to get much quality in a S&T. I can see why some might prefer Bynum if he's available, but this trade is potentially also as much about dumping Hedo as anything else.

Indeed wrote:Are you sure it is 20.4m?
9m + 17m = 26m without TK.

Mo Williams - 9m (same as Jose)
And another 17m to go...

Salaries only have to match within 25% + 100K. The Cavs only need to send back roughly 80% of whatever salary they receive in a trade.

Return to Toronto Raptors