ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN: GS will trade #6 if other teams takes Ellis' contract

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Re: ESPN: GS will trade #6 if other teams takes Ellis' contract 

Post#101 » by zilby » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:56 am

bboyskinnylegs wrote:
JamesNaismith wrote:
Calderon wrote:Memphis wanted Ellis badly last season. If they have the cap space to absorb his contract, I would expect them to be all over this.

Yes.

At SG, hence why they proposed MAYO (SG) + Thabeet, not Conley.

I believe Memphis denied making that offer for Ellis.

Yeah, then they went for R. Brewer.
UstaadJi
Senior
And1: 81

Post#102 » by UstaadJi » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:57 am

If we can somehow land OJ Mayo in a 3 way deal with GS and MEM...I will run around naked outdoors for hours on end.
cookieman
Sixth Man
And1: 192

Post#103 » by cookieman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:06 am

This board loves Monta, but if this rumour is true it means he has negative value around the league and needs to be packaged with a high pick just to be desirable. And it's the 6th pick in a 5 player draft.
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,670

Post#104 » by SkywalkerAC » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:08 am

Evans, Banks and cash for Ellis and #6? I don't really want to give up 13.
righteous015
Pro Prospect
And1: 75

Post#105 » by righteous015 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:10 am

Raptors Realtor wrote:Where do I sign?

Nowhere. You're nobody.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,322

Post#106 » by brownbobcat » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:13 am

RocLaFamilia wrote:TOR Gets: Ellis, 6th pick
GS Gets: Dampier
Dallas Gets: Banks, Evans 13th pick

Damps can be cut quick, GS saves their money. Dallas does this for a pick.

Uhh, GS still has to pay Dampier's salary if they cut him, so how does this save them any money for next year?
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,501

Post#107 » by bboyskinnylegs » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:17 am

brownbobcat wrote:
RocLaFamilia wrote:TOR Gets: Ellis, 6th pick
GS Gets: Dampier
Dallas Gets: Banks, Evans 13th pick

Damps can be cut quick, GS saves their money. Dallas does this for a pick.

Uhh, GS still has to pay Dampier's salary if they cut him, so how does this save them any money for next year?

No, Dampier's salary is unguaranteed next year, so the team can cut him without any ill effects. Again, they're not using the DUST chip to acquire our pick, they want to use it to try and sign an FA like Wade or Bosh.
Calderon
Banned User
And1: 199

Post#108 » by Calderon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:18 am

JamesNaismith wrote:
Calderon wrote:
They are under the cap. If this doesn't put them over the cap, and Golden State is down, they do it. Simple, buddy.

Clearly, Memphis is a big spender looking to flirt with the salary cap hence all the talk of them being a major player in this FA season *insert sarcasm* --- again Memphis has terrible attendance, bad finance and arent big spenders.

Get a clue.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. There are these things called "contracts" in the NBA, right? And they *expire* every so often, right? Memphis had 14.5 million dollars in "contracts" *expire* at the end of the season. Following me? So they are 14.5 million dollars richer than when they wanted to obtain Ellis back in the middle of last season. Here is where it gets really interesting. Ellis' contract is <14.5 (that sign means smaller than). So they could absorb his contract and STILL have less money committed than when they wanted him during the season! Let me know if any of that went by a little fast for you. On top of that, they now have Mayo and the number 6 pick to deal for a point guard! Do you think that would be enough to net them a decent 1? I think it just might. Jussssst maybe. And hey, if they are as cheap as you are ignorant, they could let Gay walk and sign Brewer for cheapsies.
onemanwolfpack
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#109 » by onemanwolfpack » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:26 am

Calderon wrote:
JamesNaismith wrote:
Calderon wrote:
They are under the cap. If this doesn't put them over the cap, and Golden State is down, they do it. Simple, buddy.

Clearly, Memphis is a big spender looking to flirt with the salary cap hence all the talk of them being a major player in this FA season *insert sarcasm* --- again Memphis has terrible attendance, bad finance and arent big spenders.

Get a clue.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. There are these things called "contracts" in the NBA, right? And they *expire* every so often, right? Memphis had 14.5 million dollars in "contracts" *expire* at the end of the season. Following me? So they are 14.5 million dollars richer than when they wanted to obtain Ellis back in the middle of last season. Here is where it gets really interesting. Ellis' contract is <14.5 (that sign means smaller than). So they could absorb his contract and STILL have less money committed than when they wanted him during the season! Let me know if any of that went by a little fast for you. On top of that, they now have Mayo and the number 6 pick to deal for a point guard! Do you think that would be enough to net them a decent 1? I think it just might. Jussssst maybe. And hey, if they are as cheap as you are ignorant, they could let Gay walk and sign Brewer for cheapsies.

clap..........clap........clap....clap..clap..clap..clap.clap.clap
RiZ
Junior

Post#110 » by RiZ » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:32 am

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5568424

PLUS: #6 to memphis (from GSW), #25 or #28 to toronto (from MEM)
albedo
Junior

Post#111 » by albedo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:35 am

select teams

the cost is high

Unless Bosh is involved, the Raptors aren't.
David_Robinson
Banned User

Post#112 » by David_Robinson » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:39 am

If we somehow got Monta and the 6th to make the dream even better we could flip the 6th pick and 13th to Minny for their 4th and 23rd picks (supposing player they want at 4 spot, Wes is picked by NJ). Than we could draft Favors (if NJ drafts Wes Johnson) and we ironically have a new Gtech bigman to take reigns of the franchise. However this time in Favors we get a big who is a defensive and athletic specimen who plays a physical game! A man can dream...
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#113 » by Kabookalu » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:40 am

Calderon wrote:
JamesNaismith wrote:Clearly, Memphis is a big spender looking to flirt with the salary cap hence all the talk of them being a major player in this FA season *insert sarcasm* --- again Memphis has terrible attendance, bad finance and arent big spenders.

Get a clue.

That's some phenomenal defense there Calderon.
onemanwolfpack
Banned User

Post#114 » by onemanwolfpack » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:45 am

Did I see people actually say they wouldn't trade for Monta? Did I see someone say that the main attraction isn't a 25 ppg shooting guard that is 26 years old but the 6th pick in a 4 man draft?
I hope I read some of these comments wrong...

I remember why I stay away from here
JamesNaismith
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#115 » by JamesNaismith » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:46 am

Choker wrote:
Calderon wrote:
JamesNaismith wrote:Clearly, Memphis is a big spender looking to flirt with the salary cap hence all the talk of them being a major player in this FA season *insert sarcasm* --- again Memphis has terrible attendance, bad finance and arent big spenders.

Get a clue.

Do you guys not understand even after the 4th post - Memphis does not spend; they are cheap, they have the second lowest payroll because the owner chooses not spend year after year because Memphis as a city does not do a good ROI aka make them very profitable if they start hovering around the cap.

LOL

That is why they are under the cap.

That ramble would apply to teams willing to spend; the Grizzlies are not one of them.

I swear you guys are slow.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,322

Post#116 » by brownbobcat » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:06 am

bboyskinnylegs wrote:No, Dampier's salary is unguaranteed next year, so the team can cut him without any ill effects. Again, they're not using the DUST chip to acquire our pick, they want to use it to try and sign an FA like Wade or Bosh.

Ahh, I see. As it relates to GSW, though, it'd make more sense for Dallas to acquire Ellis+6th directly rather than act as an intermediary for a lesser pick. I'm really curious as to why BC didn't tack on an extra unguaranteed year for Jose or Turk - it seems like a no-brainer in terms of added trade flexibility down the road.
onemanwolfpack
Banned User

Post#117 » by onemanwolfpack » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:08 am

JamesNaismith wrote:

Do you guys not understand even after the 4th post - Memphis does not spend; they are cheap.

That is why they are under the cap.

That ramble would apply to teams willing to spend; the Grizzlies are not one of them.

I swear you guys are slow.

TheRichardson-Randolph swap contradicts your little mantra. Quentins $9 million contract expires this year and Randolph made just under $17 million and has another $17 million next season. They rebuilt and now that they are progressing their payroll will increase.

I know what's wrong you haven't hit the 5th grade yet...subtract 9 from 34 and you'll get the number that Memphis increased their payroll for 1 player

The key to a successful rebuild is to minimize payroll and maximize return in draft picks.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#118 » by sanity » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:10 am

If they really want to save on salary they should ship Ellis + Biedrins to the Bucks for Redd + Ilyasova and of course - draft a C and play him a crapload of minutes.
Air Canada
RealGM
And1: 7,556

Post#119 » by Air Canada » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:23 am

Even if Cousins is off the board, I would still do this deal. Id be happy with Ellis & Monroe/Udoh for expirings.
KingstonRaptors
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#120 » by KingstonRaptors » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:26 am

Teams that can't land the big FA will be looking at these types of deals. Unfortunately, the draft precedes the FA signing period. Good players with large contracts that has to be shipped by cheap owners.

Return to Toronto Raptors