ImageImageImageImageImage

The Jonas Valanciunas Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Are you happy with the Raptors selection 5th overall?

Yes!
51%
No!
27%
Not sure yet...
22%

Total votes: 594

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Re: The Jonas Valanciunas Thread 

Post#1321 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:13 pm

Jonas paying 2 mil of his own money is quite a bit. A few days ago I'd have said 2.5 million means he's not coming for 2 years, thought it had to be 1.5 like Rubio.

Thank you Jonas for paying that cash and wanting to play for us. I bet if a Minny signed him he wouldn't have been so willing
Weems
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#1322 » by Weems » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:13 pm

Centre Court wrote:Jon Givony of DX reports:

Just informed that Jonas Valanciunas' buyout was officially agreed upon & signed this afternoon. He'll be free to sign with Toronto in 2012.

8-)
Yoga
Banned User
And1: 83

Post#1323 » by Yoga » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:14 pm

Good, he can develop and get stronger in Europe for another year before he comes to the league. The lockout is expected to last a year, right? His draft mate, Enes Kanter will be playing ball at a local rec center, while our man Jonas V is playing competitive ball in Europe.

Raps win. Utah loses.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Post#1324 » by DG88 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Yoga wrote:Good, he can develop and get stronger in Europe for another year before he comes to the league. The lockout is expected to last a year, right? His draft mate, Enes Kanter will be playing ball at a local rec center, while our man Jonas V is playing competitive ball in Europe.

Raps win. Utah loses.

Actually we won the draft :lol:. While every other draftee is sitting down and playing video games Valanciunas is destroying the Euroleague.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,497

Post#1325 » by bboyskinnylegs » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:24 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:Jonas paying 2 mil of his own money is quite a bit. A few days ago I'd have said 2.5 million means he's not coming for 2 years, thought it had to be 1.5 like Rubio.

Thank you Jonas for paying that cash and wanting to play for us. I bet if a Minny signed him he wouldn't have been so willing

It really shows that he's committed to playing here, and isn't somewhat hesitant or picky and choosy the way the Rubio situation has been.

Maybe that Kleiza signing will turn out to look like a brilliant move in retrospect, if it really helps with our guy adjusting to life over here.

I'm super excited, from a rebuilding perspective this is probably one of the best possible ways that things could play out. We don't get any immediate boost from a high lotto talent this coming season (which may be lockout shortened as it is), so while we're not necessarily helping, we certainly aren't hurting our chances in what is being called a very deep draft next year. If BC can find a way to turn some of our older guys (or perhaps capspace) into more young assets (or capspace), I really like the direction we're headed in. So far, so good.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#1326 » by J Dilla » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:26 pm

J Dilla wrote:
Centre Court wrote:Jon Givony of DX reports:

Just informed that Jonas Valanciunas' buyout was officially agreed upon & signed this afternoon. He'll be free to sign with Toronto in 2012.

THANK GOD

what a major relief

****. I thought he was playing this season.
logicz
Senior
And1: 68

Post#1327 » by logicz » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:30 pm

wait so his not playing this season??. dont feel like going through the thread for the answer :(
Don't Wake Me Up.
Vorticity
Head Coach
And1: 4,918

Post#1328 » by Vorticity » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:35 pm

Zona Zoo wrote:
spudwebb wrote:OKC has one black guy in the crowd

Russell Westbrook?

sig by http://www.turbozone.ca
PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,142
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#1329 » by PRESTIGE » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:37 pm

J Dilla wrote:
****. I thought he was playing this season.

No he is not playing this season. Having him spend 1 more season in Europe is just about the best-case scenario, and all we could have hoped for. Val had a 3 year contract with his team, which is why teams were scared off and he fell to us in the first place.

I don't get what the big deal is. Most likely half the season will be lost due to the lockout, maybe even the whole season. Either way we stink another year, get a chance at the #1 overall pick in next year's loaded draft, and bring two super rookies into the fold in 2012. Imagine Anthony Davis/Andre Drummond (who may declare as he is a 5th year senior) and Valanciunas coming over in the same season?

This is actually great for all those who wanted to rebuild the right way.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#1330 » by J Dilla » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:45 pm

No he is not playing this season. Having him spend 1 more season in Europe is just about the best-case scenario, and all we could have hoped for.

Best case scenario if there is a lockout

Really bad for the team and his development if there is a season. The NBA is a completely different animal. Any progress he makes there doesn't mean anything.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#1331 » by Schad » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:59 pm

J Dilla wrote:
No he is not playing this season. Having him spend 1 more season in Europe is just about the best-case scenario, and all we could have hoped for.

Really bad for the team and his development if there is a season. The NBA is a completely different animal. Any progress he makes there doesn't mean anything.

I wouldn't go that far. Much of the development he needs is physical, and playing overseas shouldn't hinder him in that regard. He'll also see more minutes there than he would here, which doesn't hurt.

Would it be better to have him in the NBA? Definitely. But I don't think that it will be harmful, and with a lockout it could be beneficial.
**** your asterisk.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,413

Post#1332 » by Tha Cynic » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:01 pm

Honestly, let people complain if they want. For the most part, the complainers have been right about this team and BC for numerous years. They have actually earned the right.

Personally, I'm fine with the pick, and like what I'm hearing about his game. This is the type of player we've been looking for.

That does not change the fact that I want Bargnani out of town as soon as possible and believe trading away Ed Davis (if it happens) would take away anything positive BC might have done in this draft.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Weems
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#1333 » by Weems » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:05 pm

I'm oddly okay with this now. More than okay - unless he's chosen 77 as his number (Turbo Zone sigs) - but he's got a year to straighten that out and smarten up. Maybe it's me subconsciously just not wanting him to fail, but maybe I'm growing bi-polar like everyone else.

Val. 8-)
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#1334 » by DG88 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:10 pm

Val comes over the same time we pick Myck Kabongo oh ya baby.
Carnage
Starter
And1: 1

Post#1335 » by Carnage » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:12 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:Honestly, let people complain if they want. For the most part, the complainers have been right about this team and BC for numerous years. They have actually earned the right.

Personally, I'm fine with the pick, and like what I'm hearing about his game. This is the type of player we've been looking for.

That does not change the fact that I want Bargnani out of town as soon as possible and believe trading away Ed Davis (if it happens) would take away anything positive BC might have done in this draft.

:clap:
logicz
Senior
And1: 68

Post#1336 » by logicz » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:23 pm

this guy looks like the garbage guy at my woork lool
Don't Wake Me Up.
Moxie
Junior
And1: 23

Post#1337 » by Moxie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:24 pm

That's his first NBA purchase, and it ain't cheap! Props to Jonas.

"I save money" my ass!
MinnyMo
Starter
And1: 34

Post#1338 » by MinnyMo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:45 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:Jonas paying 2 mil of his own money is quite a bit. A few days ago I'd have said 2.5 million means he's not coming for 2 years, thought it had to be 1.5 like Rubio.

How do you know he paid with his own money?

The raptors could of agreed to play the team in the preseason over in Europe, which would boost their revenue.

or

The Raptors can pay the full amount of the buyout, the only thing then is, everything after 500K counts towards the salary cap.
MinnyMo
Starter
And1: 34

Post#1339 » by MinnyMo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:47 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
J Dilla wrote:

I wouldn't go that far. Much of the development he needs is physical, and playing overseas shouldn't hinder him in that regard. He'll also see more minutes there than he would here, which doesn't hurt.

Would it be better to have him in the NBA? Definitely. But I don't think that it will be harmful, and with a lockout it could be beneficial.

I agree, hopefully the Euro club he is playing with gives him more minutes than the 15-20 he was getting.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#1340 » by DG88 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:10 am

MinnyMo wrote:

How do you know he paid with his own money?

The raptors could of agreed to play the team in the preseason over in Europe, which would boost their revenue.

or

The Raptors can pay the full amount of the buyout, the only thing then is, everything after 500K counts towards the salary cap.

The Raptors can only pay 500 000 dollars towards the buyout. Jonas pays the rest with his rookie contract

Return to Toronto Raptors