ImageImageImageImageImage

Colangelo on the fan

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Re: Colangelo on the fan 

Post#21 » by whoknows » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Rhett typing...how can anybody compete?
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#22 » by Too Late Crew » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:12 pm

Well, I think there's a couple things. We talked a lot about the plan. We talked about being patient this year, preserving our flexibility, but one of the things that's so important is developing these players and letting them take these steps forward so that we can continue to build and grow toward those future seasons where we really put the hammer down on the final steps of the plan

Where can I see a copy or outline of "the plan"?

Regardless of what I think of BC's basketball philosophy or his decisions I honestly (no green font) have the utmost respect and admiration for his salesmanship. The guy is a top notch salesman politician. This has taken him a long way in the NBA and in any job. Its a very valuable skill and I admire it. He's able to talk and not really say anything but leave with people feeling good about the "promise of the future".

I did find his comment about "keeping people interested including the fans" . We have seen this show before with the KO lead Raptors. He might just pull it off with a 66 game season but not many teams have been able to maintain fan interest in consecutive bad losing seasons with a grind it out 80 PPG offense. Especially when a somewhat exciting player (slam dunk participant Demar) is not doing much.

Its not the hard core basketball fans like on this board you need to keep interested. they will find a silver lining like improved defense or future draft picks. But keeping people in the seats needs either wins or flash. The Wizrards lose a ton. But casual fans will come to watch John Wall blur up the court or MCGee throw down crazy dunks. Its not good basketabll but you never know when something exciting might happen (good or bad)

At some point after losing 5 87-78 games while watching Bargs and Jose shoot jumpers abd the rest of the team chuck up bricks people lose interest.

It will be very interesting to see how BC manages this. Its a true test. Last time they folded and went out and got Marshal and Rose which made the team more watchable but not any better.
dbenalal
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#23 » by dbenalal » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:14 pm

I imagine Rett typing like a maniac during every fan interview :lol:

Thanks
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#24 » by Relentless88 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:18 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:Thanks Rhett!

As per usual, you are the man!

+1

Thanks a lot Rhett!
theSkinny
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,277

Post#25 » by theSkinny » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:18 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:let's write a book together Rhett. I'll get high, then ramble on, you type it out and then we'll see if we got something we can churn some butter with. should only take a few days.

Share the weed wealth and I'm down. We'll call the ensuing manuscript "Word Paintings." You'll be the next L. Ron Hubbard, but without a criminal record. (I assume).

Oh, and thanks for the kind words, guys.

I want in on this too..

Rhett you have to change your name to Rhettmaticdictaphone.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,595

Post#26 » by DG88 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:20 pm

whoknows wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
whoknows wrote:Thanks for the link!

He explains to you "tank lovers" why this team needs to move away from the loosing culture in order to develop young platers. It's about taking positive steps every night, not about winning every game. He would never tell his staff to loose games for a high draft pick (like some here suggest).

Very, very few people have ever said that. In fact, BC's comments basically mirror what most of the pro tanking people have said, that I've read anyway.

Might be me, but I still read many posts from people supporting the tanking and not happy when the Raps win - since it puts less balls in the lottery...
While I understand their view (since it is the only way for Raps to get talent), as BC said, it is a very fine line, you got to improve to keep team people in the right path/attitude.

Tank lovers do like the wins because we do see the young players showing progress. We just joking moan that we won and it defeats our tanking purposes. All in all tanking for us is developing young players with the mentality that we're not going to be winning a lot of games and a high pick will be a product of that losing. We don't want to breed a losing culture we just see that we just have the talent the talent to win games right now.
JohnnyFlame
Rookie
And1: 254

Post#27 » by JohnnyFlame » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:39 pm

Too Late Crew wrote:
Well, I think there's a couple things. We talked a lot about the plan. We talked about being patient this year, preserving our flexibility, but one of the things that's so important is developing these players and letting them take these steps forward so that we can continue to build and grow toward those future seasons where we really put the hammer down on the final steps of the plan

Where can I see a copy or outline of "the plan"?

Regardless of what I think of BC's basketball philosophy or his decisions I honestly (no green font) have the utmost respect and admiration for his salesmanship. The guy is a top notch salesman politician. This has taken him a long way in the NBA and in any job. Its a very valuable skill and I admire it. He's able to talk and not really say anything but leave with people feeling good about the "promise of the future".

I did find his comment about "keeping people interested including the fans" . We have seen this show before with the KO lead Raptors. He might just pull it off with a 66 game season but not many teams have been able to maintain fan interest in consecutive bad losing seasons with a grind it out 80 PPG offense. Especially when a somewhat exciting player (slam dunk participant Demar) is not doing much.

Its not the hard core basketball fans like on this board you need to keep interested. they will find a silver lining like improved defense or future draft picks. But keeping people in the seats needs either wins or flash. The Wizrards lose a ton. But casual fans will come to watch John Wall blur up the court or MCGee throw down crazy dunks. Its not good basketabll but you never know when something exciting might happen (good or bad)

At some point after losing 5 87-78 games while watching Bargs and Jose shoot jumpers abd the rest of the team chuck up bricks people lose interest.

It will be very interesting to see how BC manages this. Its a true test. Last time they folded and went out and got Marshal and Rose which made the team more watchable but not any better.

Usually though when I talk with casual fans about any sport they tend to go to games more for the whole event. They are just as fascinated by dunks etc. by players on the other team. Sure getting drubbed often will temper their enthusiasm but I don't think it's going to happen that often this season. They are hustling and geez DD and Davis can't continue to suck as bad as they have been. Plus Bayless and hey even Kleiza can give them some more offense.

I think they can maintain the tank and be reasonably watchable for the casual fan. For us hardcore types we just have to picture Barnes(perhaps) and JV in the lineup.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach

Post#28 » by Too Late Crew » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:19 pm

JohnnyFlame wrote:
Usually though when I talk with casual fans about any sport they tend to go to games more for the whole event. They are just as fascinated by dunks etc. by players on the other team. Sure getting drubbed often will temper their enthusiasm but I don't think it's going to happen that often this season. They are hustling and geez DD and Davis can't continue to suck as bad as they have been. Plus Bayless and hey even Kleiza can give them some more offense.

I think they can maintain the tank and be reasonably watchable for the casual fan. For us hardcore types we just have to picture Barnes(perhaps) and JV in the lineup.

Fans can be okay with losing but I've always said if you are going to suck lose 120 to 110 not 80-75 if you want fans to watch the games.

For us hardcore types we just have to picture Barnes(perhaps) and JV in the lineup

That's part of the problem. I don't see adding those two doing much for the team next year. We are looking at a minimum of one more year of suckage IMO. Now you could change that if we somehow replace Jose as the PG with a stud but even though I agree we need a rebuild the light is quite a ways down the tunnel at this point.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#29 » by Courtside » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Too Late Crew wrote:That's part of the problem. I don't see adding those two doing much for the team next year. We are looking at a minimum of one more year of suckage IMO. Now you could change that if we somehow replace Jose as the PG with a stud but even though I agree we need a rebuild the light is quite a ways down the tunnel at this point.

Those two on their own won't do all that much, but those two in addition to a decent FA and a player brought in by trade, now that's something that can actually start to click. Can you see BC sitting on his hands next summer?
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#30 » by UN-Owen » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:28 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:How the hell do you do that Rhett?

Wow!

He just copies and pastes the answers from the last time BC was on the Fan
Balls Mahoney
Banned User

Post#31 » by Balls Mahoney » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:56 pm

highness wrote:http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20120111_084712_9608

-One interesting tidbit from that interview is that BC seems to want DD to be more consistent with being in the weightroom.

But I thought he had this phenemonal work ethic, and was always either working on his body or his game. It must be true. I read it on the internet.
Balls Mahoney
Banned User

Post#32 » by Balls Mahoney » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:59 pm

whoknows wrote:Rhett typing...how can anybody compete?

That picture is disturbing. I wish you hadn't posted it.
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#33 » by lucky777s » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:17 pm

Too Late Crew wrote:That's part of the problem. I don't see adding those two doing much for the team next year. We are looking at a minimum of one more year of suckage IMO. Now you could change that if we somehow replace Jose as the PG with a stud but even though I agree we need a rebuild the light is quite a ways down the tunnel at this point.

honestly, you just have to believe that one of these picks is going to explode onto the scene and have a Carmelo like effect in year 1. Cause that all star wing is only coming here through the draft.

This year will tell us a lot about Bargs as a first option though. At the end of 66 games we can look at his efficiency and see if he is a #1 or #2 guy. If he is a true #1 then our wing only has to be an all star type - much better than Demar at attacking off the dribble and a reliable shot - not a superstar like Kobe or LBJ or Wade or Melo or Durant.

I think the type of FAs we may have a shot at are the Tony Allen/JamesPoZ type guys that want more money than the big contenders can pay. Or if a PG like a Felton was a FA he would follow the money. No shot at a big star until we are a 47 to 50 win team because we likely will never be in a position to outbid better options since we are so low on the desired chart.
highness
Banned User
And1: 31

Post#34 » by highness » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Balls Mahoney wrote:

-One interesting tidbit from that interview is that BC seems to want DD to be more consistent with being in the weightroom.

But I thought he had this phenemonal work ethic, and was always either working on his body or his game. It must be true. I read it on the internet.

"The bottom line is though, he's a young kid, he's gotta learn better work habits. And again, I'm not saying he doesn't work hard, because he really does put the time in."
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#35 » by Reignman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:22 pm

highness wrote:
Balls Mahoney wrote:

"The bottom line is though, he's a young kid, he's gotta learn better work habits. And again, I'm not saying he doesn't work hard, because he really does put the time in."

Did you really think comprehension was that poster's strength?
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#36 » by J-Roc » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:23 pm

DeMar has needed every free moment to work on his jumpshot.....to still sometimes shoot airballs. Does he have time to spend with weight?
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,707

Post#37 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:26 pm

J-Roc wrote:DeMar has needed every free moment to work on his jumpshot.....to still sometimes shoot airballs. Does he have time to spend with weight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVf80hdVVjk
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
joeyt618
Rookie
And1: 569

Post#38 » by joeyt618 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:28 pm

Too Late Crew wrote:Fans can be okay with losing but I've always said if you are going to suck lose 120 to 110 not 80-75 if you want fans to watch the games.

That would've been my assumption too. But I did a quick analysis using last years stats, and the correlation coefficient between Points Per Game (team) and Average attendance was -0.15.
Based on that, there's little to no association between the two. Of course, there are many other factors affecting this, but I think as long as a team wins, fans will come (regardless of whether a team is offense/defense-minded).
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,707

Post#39 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:29 pm

joeyt618 wrote:
Too Late Crew wrote:Fans can be okay with losing but I've always said if you are going to suck lose 120 to 110 not 80-75 if you want fans to watch the games.

That would've been my assumption too. But I did a quick analysis using last years stats, and the correlation coefficient between Points Per Game (team) and Average attendance was -0.15.
Based on that, there's little to no association between the two. Of course, there are many other factors affecting this, but I think as long as a team wins, fans will come (regardless of whether a team is offense/defense-minded).

Can you do the same for just the bottom 10 teams in the league?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach

Post#40 » by Too Late Crew » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:39 pm

joeyt618 wrote:

but I think as long as a team wins, fans will come

This leads me to think you completely missed the point.

I said if you LOSE lose with a fast offence. You can't use a correlation between ppg and attendance because you are leaving out wins. I agree if a team wins "big" fans will usually come regardless of if they play slow or fast. (Atlanta is a notable exception as they drew poorly for years despite winning 50 plus games)

What I'm saying is that if you lose and play exciting basketball fans will still come to watch exciting basketball. If you lose and are boring while you lose people will lose interest because they see neither wins nor excitement.

Return to Toronto Raptors