ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors NBA Draft Thread: Moe Harkless

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

JamesNaismith
Banned User
And1: 5

Re: Raptors NBA Draft Thread: Moe Harkless 

Post#41 » by JamesNaismith » Sat May 26, 2012 5:08 am

PaperHoops wrote:I think Harkless is going to be a steal in this draft. Paul George went 11th two years ago. Harkless has that type of game, should his J develop. (Which it should.)

I'd rather reach on Harkless or maybe Terrance Ross over Rivers, Marhsall, Lillard or Sully.

Ugggh George`s jumper was a HUGE part of what he was especially since his ballhandling skills were below average lol...might as well say Lillard is Rose without the athleticism.
CTG
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#42 » by CTG » Sun May 27, 2012 3:38 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub-4KdhnYsU[/youtube]
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#43 » by dagger » Sun May 27, 2012 3:49 pm

JamesNaismith wrote:
PaperHoops wrote:I think Harkless is going to be a steal in this draft. Paul George went 11th two years ago. Harkless has that type of game, should his J develop. (Which it should.)

I'd rather reach on Harkless or maybe Terrance Ross over Rivers, Marhsall, Lillard or Sully.

Ugggh George`s jumper was a HUGE part of what he was especially since his ballhandling skills were below average lol...might as well say Lillard is Rose without the athleticism.

George did have a good rep for his jumper, but a somewhat spotty record in other areas. Consistency of effort, for one. Harkless' shooting mechanics are apparently quite good, which suggests his percentages should continue to improve. Remember, also, George was drafted as a soph, and some parts of his game actually stagnated from his freshman to his sophomore year. His 3 pt% dropped from 44 to 35%. So I'm fairly sure you can make a case for Harkless who has very good size and athleticism, drives much more than George, has good shot mechanics, and is one-and-done with very good upside remaining.

He's certainly not risk-free, and might not contribute as fast as some others we could draft.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
PaperHoops
Junior
And1: 46

Post#44 » by PaperHoops » Sun May 27, 2012 8:55 pm

dagger wrote:
JamesNaismith wrote:

George did have a good rep for his jumper, but a somewhat spotty record in other areas. Consistency of effort, for one. Harkless' shooting mechanics are apparently quite good, which suggests his percentages should continue to improve. Remember, also, George was drafted as a soph, and some parts of his game actually stagnated from his freshman to his sophomore year. His 3 pt% dropped from 44 to 35%. So I'm fairly sure you can make a case for Harkless who has very good size and athleticism, drives much more than George, has good shot mechanics, and is one-and-done with very good upside remaining.

He's certainly not risk-free, and might not contribute as fast as some others we could draft.

When a regular poster dismisses a point of view and replies with ugggggh that's just disrespectful. I didn't liken their jumpshots - merely stated that Harkless should improve on his Jumper.

Nice assist Dagger. I think you are spot on and much more thorough with your insight.

Either Harkless or Ross could end up being better players than those who are projected to be in the top 6. It will be interesting to see what happens.
SwiftyV
Sixth Man
And1: 1,682

Post#45 » by SwiftyV » Mon May 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#46 » by Dr Positivity » Mon May 28, 2012 6:35 pm

I like Harkless. But if Lamb or Sullinger are on the board... man that feels like a reach to take Moe over them.
BillyGM
Analyst
And1: 1,175

Post#47 » by BillyGM » Mon May 28, 2012 6:46 pm

High risk high reward pick out here
DraftExpress
What's funny is that I had lunch with Terrence Ross' agent yesterday. We talked about every possible scenario. Toronto never came up.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#48 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue May 29, 2012 4:43 pm

Rule of thumb for NYC prospects - they're only half as good as their hype. NYC ballers almost never live up to the lofty expectations set by the local scene out there (Felipe Lopez, Lenny Cooke, Sebastian Telfair, etc).

Harkless doesn't look that special to me.
SwiftyV
Sixth Man

Post#49 » by SwiftyV » Wed May 30, 2012 11:36 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIl0IYuX0c8[/youtube]
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#50 » by dagger » Wed May 30, 2012 11:41 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Rule of thumb for NYC prospects - they're only half as good as their hype. NYC ballers almost never live up to the lofty expectations set by the local scene out there (Felipe Lopez, Lenny Cooke, Sebastian Telfair, etc).

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-8818505
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,183

Post#51 » by God Squad » Wed May 30, 2012 11:53 pm

dagger wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Rule of thumb for NYC prospects - they're only half as good as their hype. NYC ballers almost never live up to the lofty expectations set by the local scene out there (Felipe Lopez, Lenny Cooke, Sebastian Telfair, etc).

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-8818505

Good Post Dagger. Jordan, Kareem and Melo. Nice
SwiftyV
Sixth Man

Post#52 » by SwiftyV » Wed May 30, 2012 11:54 pm

Harkless was never even hyped. Was not expected to be a one and done by any means.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#53 » by Dalek » Fri Jun 1, 2012 5:27 pm

Moe Harkless is a potential target, as mentioned by Chad Ford. I know there are scorers in the draft from the two guard and point position, but Harkless is a true SF which is a position of need.

I think he has just as high an upside as MKG and I don't know why anyone would say MKG is clearly better in any respect. Harkless is just as tenacious as MKG, and can do a bit of everything. At just 19, years old he is just a few months older than MKG, so there is time to develop him.

Why he is a fit IMO is his maturity. He had to lead his team last year and took up the challenge despite losing the coach who recruited him. By all accounts he looks dedicated to being a very good player.

Harkless has an aggressive mentality, is very young and coachable with good leadership skills. He will have to work on his shooting, but overall I like his prospects long-term. He played out of position in St. Johns, and with better coaching he could become a Rudy Gay type of player.

I don't think I would take him at 8, but trading down makes sense. Maybe to work out a deal with Houston or Portland (Portland really wants Damian Lillard).
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#54 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 1, 2012 6:11 pm

I'd feel better about the Harkless pick if we were say, in Cleveland's present position with a longterm offensive anchor in Irving. Thus giving him a SF who can compliment him defensively and on the break long term. Not sure about on our roster, espec with JJ here
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#55 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Jun 1, 2012 6:59 pm

Michael Jordan? NYC product? That's like me saying Steve Nash is a product of the South African basketball program. :lol:

As for Harkless - hey, if you guys wanna take him at 8, or trade down for him, that's perfect. Just make sure to scoop him up before 20/21, because I heard Ainge is taking a look at him. Believe me - I do NOT want this guy. Again, there's nothing about him that impresses me.
raptor21_85
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#56 » by raptor21_85 » Fri Jun 1, 2012 8:22 pm

Harkless looks like he has potential.. and we need a SF..
OhMyBosh
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,206

Post#57 » by OhMyBosh » Fri Jun 1, 2012 10:20 pm

No thanks.

The guy can become a solid defender similar to Sefolosha, but he has no offensive potential. At this point, we need a dynamic scoring wing who can create. He’d be perfect for a team like the Spurs, not us.
MastaMindz
Lead Assistant
And1: 39

Post#58 » by MastaMindz » Fri Jun 1, 2012 10:45 pm

hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#59 » by hankscorpioLA » Fri Jun 1, 2012 10:54 pm

Carmelo Anthony, Ron Artest, Joakim Noah....
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#60 » by hype_2004 » Sat Jun 2, 2012 12:22 am

Dalek wrote:I don't think he will be as good as JJ now, but in three years at 22 (turning 19 in May), he should be much better. His jumpshot is not broken, he is always in attack mode, and he is a high energy guy. The best thing about him is he is a vocal leader. I think he has that 'IT' factor. I could see him top out as a Rudy Gay type player.

Right now he is much too light, and needs to work on his game. If you want immediate production he might not be the guy. But, he is a very prospect in my opinion.

Kid is a major project, it's not a guarantee he'll be better than James Johnson 3-4 yrs from now and surely not in the same league at the moment. We can't wait for another rookie to develop while we have a much heralded rookie coming in next season that requires the full attention of the coaching/training staff. I highly doubt Colangelo has the patience to draft another project considering the pressure to win next season, I`d say we either move up in the draft via trade or trade the pick for a proven vet SF like Iguodala/Gay.

Return to Toronto Raptors