ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors NBA Draft thread: Arnett Moultrie

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,600

Raptors NBA Draft thread: Arnett Moultrie 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Sat May 5, 2012 7:56 pm

Expect this guy to be considered in the mix for our pick - with maybe Golden State and Detroit sandwiching our pick to seriously consider him. I think this guy has a chance to go as high as 6th in the draft.

He should rise in workouts because of his physical tools (6'11, bouncy athleticism). He had a very good season - 18/12/.61 TS% per 40, 25 PER year. I believe Robinson vs Moultrie is not a huge gap. Robinson is more jacked and a better rebounder but IMO Moultrie is the better offensive prospect. He is more fluid offensively to me, has better touch around the rim (as seen by his significant 2P%/TS% advantage) and has a smooth jumpshot.

Most important for him is that he doesn't have a huge hole. He has the athleticism, skill and college production. Even if he's not tops in either of those categories, not lacking anything and thus appearing to be a safe pick can help a prospect a lot. Moultrie has rebounding/production PJIII doesn't and ideal physical tools Sullinger doesn't. The history of the draft suggests teams could prefer him over either for that reason.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8zBajaMUw8[/youtube]

Moultrie fits pretty nicely into our lineup next year if drafted. I think the Moultrie/Bargnani, Bargnani/Valanciunas and Moultrie/Valanciunas lineups all work. He's older and likely a bit more immediately defensively reliable. Because he has nice athletic tools and a workable skill level, I can see 18/10+ upside for this guy. Maybe black David Lee with better defensive potential is a good comparison for his upside. Some pick and roll/pick and pop, nice efficiency around the basket. This is a nice solid pick for a team around 8th overall, he has a solid chance to be a starting PF in the NBA and there's no reason to think he doesn't have all-star upside
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Re: Raptors NBA Draft thread: Arnett Moultrie 

Post#2 » by fredericklove » Sat May 5, 2012 8:21 pm

He's lucky if he gets into the 11-14 spot, let alone the 8-10 range. And sure, you claim all your favorite prospects to have all-star upside anyways, so sure, whatever you say.
Reef
Starter
And1: 733

Post#3 » by Reef » Sat May 5, 2012 8:43 pm

JamesNaismith
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#4 » by JamesNaismith » Sat May 5, 2012 8:49 pm

fredericklove wrote:He's lucky if he gets into the 11-14 spot, let alone the 8-10 range. And sure, you claim all your favorite prospects to have all-star upside anyways, so sure, whatever you say.

Typical though...

Not saying that Moultrie doesn't have potential to be a good player but Mufasa basically picks less talked about prospects and blows them up for attention and to be "different"...that much is obvious.
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#5 » by Throwback24 » Sat May 5, 2012 8:54 pm

He would be a great pick in the 20-30 range.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#6 » by Dr Positivity » Sat May 5, 2012 9:09 pm

The only prospects I have in my top 10 that others don't are Leonard and Moultrie

Both are athletically dynamic, skilled and put up a better PER this season than Beal/Lamb/Drummond/PJIII/MKG/Barnes/Miller/Marshall/Rivers and a team picking 8th usually has a 70-80% chance of busting out with a bench player - But other than that, clearly anyone who considers them potential picks at 8 instead of the 5-7 spots lower they're expected to go and the 3-5 spots lower they're likely to go, must be trolling and looking for attention...

I mean compare him to Perry Jones III (who I already like more than just about anyone else)... Moultrie while being less explosive but still a very good athlete, had a much better scoring season (18ppg .61 TS%), rebounded way better (12rpg per 40) and is a more reliable defensive prospect and had a better grasp of his offensive skills at this moment. But it must be trolling to say Moultrie could be better...

Compare him to Harrison Barnes who was a completely one dimensional shooter at SF, while about the 30th best shooter at his position in college... to Moultrie who scored better and in a more versatile fashion leading to much higher efficiency, added a second high end skill (rebounding) and who has a more athletically dynamic body for his position... yeah it must be trolling to think Moultrie is an option at 8 if Barnes is there...

Anybody who limits the options at 8 to anything less than 10 or so prospects is making a huge mistake. The gap between prospects is far too small at that point, especially in this draft if any. Moultrie IMO has all the tools to be a starting PF in the NBA and anybody who looks like a future starter should be in the mix at 8
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#7 » by 5DOM » Sat May 5, 2012 9:12 pm

fredericklove wrote:He's lucky if he gets into the 11-14 spot, let alone the 8-10 range. And sure, you claim all your favorite prospects to have all-star upside anyways, so sure, whatever you say.

Second sentence was totally unnecessary and we've already talked to you about this multiple times. There's no need to attack another poster every time you disagree with him.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#8 » by Dr Positivity » Sat May 5, 2012 9:28 pm

Keep it to yourself
MainEvent
Veteran
And1: 2,345

Post#9 » by MainEvent » Sat May 5, 2012 9:46 pm

What is with all the hate for bringing up different prospects? People just look at DX and see the rank and talk like they are experts without even watching games. The draft process involves more than looking at mock drafts and watching highlights on youtube.
totallyr
Assistant Coach
And1: 111

Post#10 » by totallyr » Sat May 5, 2012 9:55 pm

MainEvent wrote:What is with all the hate for bringing up different prospects? People just look at DX and see the rank and talk like they are experts without even watching games. The draft process involves more than looking at mock drafts and watching highlights on youtube.

Exactly, i just don't understand why SOME people don't get that. Two years ago Ed Davis slotted at 9 falls to us at 13 i believe, meaning some one else went 9th and there goes the domino effect.
To all our soldiers serving overseas, be safe and come home soon
fredericklove
Banned User

Post#11 » by fredericklove » Sat May 5, 2012 10:14 pm

MainEvent wrote:What is with all the hate for bringing up different prospects? People just look at DX and see the rank and talk like they are experts without even watching games. The draft process involves more than looking at mock drafts and watching highlights on youtube.

I agree. People make evaluations based solely on youtube highlights and without even watching games are really shouldn't be taken seriously. I've watched Moultrie played, he doesn't really impressed me much.
sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,182

Post#12 » by sca » Sat May 5, 2012 10:34 pm

He's obviously better than Valanciunas.
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
decu21
Banned User
And1: 315

Post#13 » by decu21 » Sat May 5, 2012 11:31 pm

ok.....after beal, lilard, drummond ...ill take moultrie
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,085

Post#14 » by Indeed » Sun May 6, 2012 1:16 am

I like him. I haven't seen him playing, an think he might have limited upside, but he is very tough and aggressive, so I think he can be a good player at PF.
I wouldn't mind drafting him, but I would like to value our needs as well.
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,535

Post#15 » by S.W.A.N » Sun May 6, 2012 1:43 am

I find it amusing how so many people here are condescending towards people saying players like this could end up being stars.

The reality is that there are probably 25-30 guys with 'star' potential in a draft. When you consider their physical abilities, college production and intangibles.

Of those 25-30 you usually end up with 3-5 'star' players (borderline all-star above average starter or better) another 5 career rotation players and the rest fade into obscurity after a couple years.

This draft while not as top heavy as some drafts seems to be incredibly deep with what I would call borderline stars. Or guys who have the upside of stars but also seem likely to just be solid rotation players.

I haven't been looking very much at Moultrie at all. But judging from his stats and size I am going to be very curious as to how he performs in workouts and would not be surprised if he did end up in top 10 picks.

There are also 4-5 guys in the 15-25 range right now that I would not be surprised if they ended up in top 10 this year.
We the North
fredericklove
Banned User

Post#16 » by fredericklove » Sun May 6, 2012 4:41 am

Yeah you guys are right. Moultries might have the "it" potential, I also think my boy John Jenkins have star potential too :D
fabste
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#17 » by fabste » Sun May 6, 2012 10:55 am

sca wrote:He's obviously better than Valanciunas.

bazinga! :lol:

Return to Toronto Raptors