ImageImageImageImageImage

Kendall Marshall vs Austin Rivers ?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,208

Re: Kendall Marshall vs Austin Rivers ? 

Post#61 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon May 7, 2012 7:53 pm

fredericklove wrote:Marshall doesn't waste the first 14 seconds, he actually throws a quick bullet pass to the right person early in the shot clock.

Let me break it down to what Marshall does. His passing style goes like this, first few seconds walking into the half court, he'll first look for the bigs in the paint, if that's not an option, he'll look to throw a hard bullet pass to the wings off the screen, .....these are his go-to passes..., also after whoever rebounds the ball on defensive end, gives the ball to Marshall, he'll quickly look for whoever that's running on the break, such as throwing a quarterback type of pass to the first guy running to the other end...even when Marshall uses p&r, he won't keep moving around back and forth to get a bail out like Jose, rather, once he uses the p&r, he'll quickly go str8 into the lane or just drive and kick via p&r...his passes are not the bail out passes that Jose does, rather, its very accurate precise pass that actually makes everyone better.

so all these are very non-Joseish.

Very well said. I think Rivers will be a very combo guard but I think Toronto needs a true point which is something Marshall is. I just don't see Rivers as a true point at a NBA level I would rather have Beal then Rivers
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,600

Post#62 » by Dr Positivity » Mon May 7, 2012 7:58 pm

Getting Jose at 8 is a relative success. Jose is a starter and legitimate NBA player while most players picked 8-14 are bench fodder. Jose is a good player, from our perspective the problem is his age and contract. I don't like the comparison though, Jose without shooting is a very different and less effective player. I like the Mark Jackson one way more
Reef
Starter
And1: 733

Post#63 » by Reef » Mon May 7, 2012 8:13 pm

What about prime Jason Kidd as a comparison for Marshall (minus the rebounding)?
xprt
Sixth Man
And1: 69

Post#64 » by xprt » Mon May 7, 2012 8:20 pm

Kidd was great defender
Dr Mufasa wrote:I believe Jonas will be one of the biggest draft busts of all time.To me he's an unathletic Javale McGee.
Bank Shot
RealGM
And1: 10,560

Post#65 » by Bank Shot » Mon May 7, 2012 8:26 pm

I'd much, much rather have Sullinger than either. I'm a Duke fan and I want nothing to do with Rivers. I'd probably gamble on PJ3 over these guys too and I am no fan of PJ3.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,208

Post#66 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon May 7, 2012 8:26 pm

xprt wrote:Kidd was great defender

yup that pretty much kills the comparison right there. I think Kendall Marshall will be Andre Miller or Ramon Sessions
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,837

Post#67 » by ash_k » Mon May 7, 2012 9:14 pm

Kendall seems to be too slow-flooted to be a starter at the NBA level, he does have good length at that position but I see him as a Mark-Jackson_PG type of player; ala Uconn's Marcus Williams

Those type of players don't pan anymore.

I am not a big fan of Austin Rivers, he does have the scoring mentality. He must be given a chance to play the Point at the next level. (Daddy's vision could manifest itself :) )

In my book, Austin has much more potential that Kendall at the next level even as a combo guard.
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 9,037

Post#68 » by MEDIC » Mon May 7, 2012 10:10 pm

I really don't like the Jose comparison when it comes to Marshall.

Marshall is a much more aggressive playmaker, makes riskier passes & much more crisp passes.

Jose is basically picn n' roll or a lob pass for an iso. There's not much else really there.

I think Marshall will be closer to Jason Kid in regards to playmaking than Jose.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 9,037

Post#69 » by MEDIC » Mon May 7, 2012 10:14 pm

Other than watching clips of Marshall, & didn't really watch him a lot this season.

Everyone talks about his poor shooting, but his percentages were actually respectable.

.467 for a PG is a very good shooting %.

.354 from 3 isn't bad from 3 either.

He improved his FG% quite a bit from his freshman season to sophmore. There is no reason to believe that he won't continue to improve. His jumper mechanics need some tweaking, but...

If he is such a terrible shooter, why such a respectable shooting %?
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,628

Post#70 » by Ackshun » Wed May 9, 2012 2:11 am

Marshall.

Playmaker. Austin Rivers will however have a good career

Return to Toronto Raptors