ImageImageImageImageImage

United Fan Base

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Cory_Trevor
Sophomore
And1: 2

Re: United Fan Base 

Post#16 » by Cory_Trevor » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:24 am

IMO, I think this team/management would be getting boo'd at home in a few other cities, considering the games they've been in a position to win, but failed to close (Indi & Utah, for example). Even today, they gave up the lead for a short time in the second half (which is really inexcusable against the Magic).

Sure, some people on this board are very critical of some players on this team, but as a whole, I'd say our team is well supported, especially considering how tough the last few years have been.

And if/when people start booing at home games, I'd say it's more a reflection of how fans feel about management's decision making, rather than a specific player/players.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,428

Post#17 » by Harry Palmer » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:49 am

VinBaker6 wrote:
All the other fans of other teams do not go to the extent we go. The hate is simply crazy.

An oft repeated myth with no basis in fact. You would be surprised how other boards see us...I site the recent 'Raps board' thread on the Knicks board as just one example. We are generally regarded as particularly homerish/defensive about our players. It's only people whose bias strays in that direction who find us wanting in the same way.

My own personal experience has not been such as to indicate that criticism is popular even when it is entirely accurate.

'Hate' has become a lazy way of shutting out alternate opinion.

My point is we need to stop being so damn negative all the time and support the team.

I was going to say that it's surprising how often 'we should unite' equates to 'everyone should think like me'.

What is also interesting is the fact that...and this may have changed, I rarely read here anymore, but was certainly true before...is that if you accept the divide of a fanbase into 'haters' and 'homers', it's only the latter who routinely lecture/assume/moderate the others that they have to or should fall in line.

Whereas, from a practical POV, you could very easily argue that our overly apologetic fanbase allows our managements to constantly provide a crap product/no real plan.

I suppose it comes down to a philosophical distinction about where the onus lies in the fan/customer vs. organization/service. I do not feel that we as fans are obligated to think or feel a specific way about our team if we do not feel it is merited. Obviously some people believe we should adopt an orthodox approach, that being a fan is somewhat akin to being a patriot in a time of war.

I even think the latter is a faulty assumption which perpetuates all kinds of wrong. I'm certainly not going to defer my right to think critically because it would make the people who take my money for the service they provide feel better about the situation.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Ditchweed
Starter
And1: 89

Post#18 » by Ditchweed » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:07 am

Volcano wrote:Bargnani hate is well deserved. His problem is lack of effort/work ethic. Supporting him would be the same as going against the Raptors.

No it isn't, that is merely your personal opinion. You can personally dislike Bargnani and not want him on the team, so be it, but if there is some kid out there who is a Raptor's fan and is wearing a Bargnani jersey, you can't call them out as going against the Raptors. He/she is actually more of a fan than those that denigrate the players on the team.
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,597

Post#19 » by kyphi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:52 pm

No team has a united fan base; it's a myth.
KnickerBonkerz
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#20 » by KnickerBonkerz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:38 pm

VinBaker6 wrote:Relatively new dude around here (got banned by Celtic Mods for trollin them bout Ray Allen re-signing in the summer lmao).

Probably not the best idea to admit you already got banned, guess what happens now?

Anyways pretty much everyone here supports the team IMO, there's no other reason for them to keep watching games and coming here. It's just the GM and horrible players that we can't support. Usually our team is made up of a bunch of great players with a few TRASH scrubs that are overpaid, so as a whole the team is garbage. At least this year we've got Lowry and Derozan that we can be proud of, but Lowry has serious injury problems and I don't see him being part of the team's future.
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,864

Post#21 » by Tacoma » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Indeed wrote:Jose lost his footstep, otherwise, he can be a good player. Jose is still great in spot up situation, and controlling the temple. But I guess the hate comes from his over dribble more than his defense. The most hated by far is Bargnani, even Sullinger has his offensive rebound against Davis with Bargnani on the bench, some people can claim its on Bargnani (clearly showed in gamelog).

Disagree. The most hated/criticized on this board is Jose, but he does not have nearly the same # of fanboys that Bargnani has and so his poor play is easier to get agreement which then ends a thread.

However, when discussing Bargnani, criticism against him were met by passionate defenses from his fans with excuses after excuses for his poor play and it's always someone else's fault and if you disagree, you must be a hater. This makes the haters go even more extreme and you have a 50+ page thread and a divided board.

It's only lately with a cold streak to start the season that some of his supporters have turned to become haters. But when the cold streak ends and he goes hot again, you'll likely start hearing from the fanboys again, asking for apologies from haters... It's a vicious cycle that repeats every year (sometimes a few times a year) that can only end when Bargnani is traded. There can be no unified fan base until then.
Scase
General Manager
And1: 7,044

Post#22 » by Scase » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Ditchweed wrote:
Volcano wrote:Bargnani hate is well deserved. His problem is lack of effort/work ethic. Supporting him would be the same as going against the Raptors.

No it isn't, that is merely your personal opinion. You can personally dislike Bargnani and not want him on the team, so be it, but if there is some kid out there who is a Raptor's fan and is wearing a Bargnani jersey, you can't call them out as going against the Raptors. He/she is actually more of a fan than those that denigrate the players on the team.

Wait, what's the opinion here. That the hate is deserved, or that he's lazy?
Props TZ!

Return to Toronto Raptors