ImageImageImageImageImage

MEM shopping Rudy Gay (Raps interested, PHX in lead? P. 32)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

How do you feel about the Raptors pursuing Rudy Gay?

Yes! Do it. He'd be our best wing by a mile.
47%
No way! He's overpaid, overrated.
16%
Meh. Only if he comes very cheap.
37%

Total votes: 259

CreaM
Banned User
And1: 1,163

Re: Lowe: Rudy Gay being shopped (speculates on Raps' intere 

Post#21 » by CreaM » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:28 pm

Agreed. Jose, Bargs, Amir, A.A, Kleiza, Fields, e.t.c are available, but no one from our younger core players. The only reason we would even be inquiring is because our SF's are crap. Rudy's salary is humongous and we'd be doing Memphis a favour because they don't really need him. Knowing Colangelo though, out 2014 pick is probably gone as well.
shan-e-b
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#22 » by shan-e-b » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:28 pm

Im not as big of a Rudy fan as I was before because I have him in fantasy and hes always shooting at a terrible rate mostly he shoots 7/17... But that's just fantasy.. I have seen a few Memphis games and most of the time I see him taking ill-advised shots. But I guess having a legit SF is better than not having one at all. As long as we dont have to trade our rookies than I guess its fine.
mprapss
Sophomore
And1: 80

Re: Lowe: Rudy Gay being shopped (Raps interested?) 

Post#23 » by mprapss » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:29 pm

Gay may be a better defender and better suited to SF but comparing efficiency and contract DD is the much better choice. Because of Gay's contract and sub par numbers Memphis would have to give more or want to receive very little.

People are enamoured with Gay on reputation but how much better is he than DD and he costs almost twice as much.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#24 » by Indeed » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:30 pm

pspot wrote:
dagger wrote:No matter what, we have to send some 2013-14 money with Jose in that scenario or we literally crash into the tax. Adding Gay's $17 million salary to our $59 million in obligations means puts us deep into taxed territory. Even amnestying Bargnani wouldn't totally solve that issue, since it wouldn't leave us much money under the tax line to sign a backup point guard, add a draft pick (if we have one) and keep Alan Anderson who will command more than his current minimum.

Gay is a terrible value deal. Frankly, he's worse than Bargnani. He just plays a position of need.

What about a three way with GS

TO get Gay and Biendrins
GS get Bargs
Mem get Jose and Rush

If Raps amnesty Kleiza how does that put them in terms of tax territory? that would be 24.6 out and 25.5 in

considering no 1st round pick and having to resign AA that would probably still be to tight

Memphis wants wing player. GS has a few, but they probably not interested in dealing them for Bargnani with Lee in place. We can probably give them our protected 1st, and carry on as a top 15 protected (as long as it doesn't contradict with the OKC one).
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#25 » by pspot » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:30 pm

mprapss wrote:Gay may be a better defender and better suited to SF but comparing efficiency and contract DD is the much better choice. Because of Gay's contract and sub par numbers Memphis would have to give more or want to receive very little.

People are enamoured with Gay on reputation but how much better is he than DD and he costs almost twice as much.

ask this guy :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7lIjFsGvg[/youtube]
nm
mprapss
Sophomore
And1: 80

Post#26 » by mprapss » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:31 pm

also add to this that if we get gay our cap flexibility is done and now we are lookint at Tax issues.

Finally if we give up jose who is the back up PG ? I would rather have AA/TR at SF with Jose playing PG than GAy and lucas.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Post#27 » by dagger » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:31 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
dTox wrote:
dagger wrote:Gay is a terrible value deal. Frankly, he's worse than Bargnani. He just plays a position of need.

Come on now, let's not get carried away. Andrea like you mentioned, is someone that could be considered an amnesty candidate, Gay on the other hand is the 3rd best player on a championship contender, its not even close. But I do agree that we don't need to add an overpaid player like Gay on this team, especially if we are ever aspiring to win a championship.

You know how **** Bargs has been this year? While Gay's TS% is almost exactly the same, and he has also been fairly awful defensively.

And he will be paid $7 million more than Bargnani in the remaining years of their respective deals.

I'm particularly concerned about Gay's decline in recent weeks. His last 10 games have been awful.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#28 » by Indeed » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:33 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
dTox wrote:
dagger wrote:Gay is a terrible value deal. Frankly, he's worse than Bargnani. He just plays a position of need.

Come on now, let's not get carried away. Andrea like you mentioned, is someone that could be considered an amnesty candidate, Gay on the other hand is the 3rd best player on a championship contender, its not even close. But I do agree that we don't need to add an overpaid player like Gay on this team, especially if we are ever aspiring to win a championship.

You know how **** Bargs has been this year? Gay's TS% is almost exactly the same, and he has also been fairly awful defensively.

But Memphis is among the best team in the league, so the difference between Gay and Bargnani might be compared by the record.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,456

Post#29 » by DG88 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:33 pm

For all you PER nuts Gay has a PER of 15.4 and is being paid 17 million wrap that around your heads. DeRozan is putting up similar numbers to Gay and has a PER of 15.6 and will be getting paid 9 million. The question I pose is, is it worth it to trade for Gay?
HSOB SIRHC
General Manager
And1: 1,238

Post#30 » by HSOB SIRHC » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:34 pm

It's gonna suck if Ross is part of the deal.
Credit to Turbozone
dagger
RealGM

Post#31 » by dagger » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:36 pm

nahom1319 wrote:I think you have to move Bargnani first and see what you have here before you start looking to add a 19 million dollar guy.

Not really, but it is a must to get MEM to take one of our longer contracts, whether it's Bargnani, Fields, Kleiza in particular. Fields is over-priced, but could be a very good player for a team like Memphis which needs his smarts and D more than offence since they get a lot of offence from Gasol, Zach and Conley.
Green Backpack
Head Coach
And1: 3,280

Post#32 » by Green Backpack » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:36 pm

Who are we going to give up? They don't want Bargnani.. don't really need Lowry. I guess Jose + Ross + Ed might do it, but I'd rather stick with it.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,485

Post#33 » by dTox » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:36 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
dTox wrote:

You know how **** Bargs has been this year? Gay's TS% is almost exactly the same, and he has also been fairly awful defensively.

I highly doubt Gay's team would win 8 of 9 games without him, but I do share your POV, he has been worse than ever and do not see him as a solution to establishing a winning culture.
TBZ for the win
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#34 » by pspot » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:37 pm

HSOB SIRHC wrote:It's gonna suck if Ross is part of the deal.

what deal?

man you guys are doing a good job of talking me out of Gay (that sentence just sounds weird)

anyway I'm now at Bargs and Kleiza for Gay, Haddadi and Wrotten
nm
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,485

Post#35 » by dTox » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:38 pm

There is no way in hell we should be giving up Ed, Lowry, JV or Ross in any trade involving Gay.
TBZ for the win
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,176

Post#36 » by LLJ » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:38 pm

HSOB SIRHC wrote:It's gonna suck if Ross is part of the deal.

I'm not sure I'd trade either of our SGs for him, that's how badly Gay's value has declined.
Spragga
General Manager
And1: 1,679

Post#37 » by Spragga » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:39 pm

Ed would prob be gone. I guess Casey would use Gay as a pf for smallball and go Lowry/DD/Ross/Gay/Bargs to finish games.
why was hakeem called "the dream"??"

Because it rhymes with 'Olajuwon'.

remember Canadians are just Mexicans with sweaters
dagger
RealGM

Post#38 » by dagger » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:43 pm

[quote="Indeed"]
The issue isn't who is the better player. The issue is do you add a $17 million player who has that level of production.{/quote]

The key is, does a Rudy Gay trade make us a serious contender for at least a middle playoff spot. If the answer is no, it's a stupid trade to make - period. Even if we got him straight up for Jose, if it doesn't make us significantly better, it isn't worth doing.

The course we're on, with some careful value trading, and emphasis on developing our young core, may be the better course than adding a $17 million player with a PER of just over league average. And I'd like to know if his shoulder is fully healed from last year's surgery.

Remember, we have to think of extensions for Davis and Lowry in Gay's final year. So a lot of existing money would have to be offloaded if we want to keep both of those guys. That's not easy to do. The amnesty clause would only solve half of that.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,790

Post#39 » by ash_k » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:43 pm

Rudy on the block??? I do not believe it!
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,413

Post#40 » by Rapsfan07 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:43 pm

No thank you. I keep saying how we as a team don't need to be trading for expensive vets. Trading for Gay takes us out of the race for the 2014 draft, clogs our books (in terms of financial flexibility) and will likely cost us youth which we SHOULD NOT be trading at this infancy stage of our rebuild.

With the future of this team in mind, we need to say no to Rudy Gay. Not to mention he's been far from impressive this season thus far. So unless we're doing a three team trade where Gay ends up elsewhere while we take on bad deals and quality your players, I don't want to be involved.

Return to Toronto Raptors