ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: "Disrespected" Scalabrine Challenges Fans to 1-on-1

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Yoga
Banned User
And1: 83

Re: OT: "Disrespected" Scalabrine Challenges Fans to 1-on-1 

Post#41 » by Yoga » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:58 pm

This guy is the superior redhead:

JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#42 » by JV4MVP » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:03 pm

Just to add my 2 cents from my experience of attending camps (as a spectator as I was too young but knew a trainer) for aspiring D1 guys. There seem to be two type of players:

1) Incredibly skilled
2) Incredibly athletic or a physical specimen

I've seen guys in individual shooting drills hit 90% of their shots. They'd be upset after a single miss. The problem was that most of these guys either lacked the athleticism or height to excel after HS. Also, it's a lot easier to shoot in rhythm (one shot after another) than in a in-game situation.

Most of the camp players were there solely because of their size and/or athleticism. They dominated their HS peers even though they may have had so-so skills. Unless they're a combination of size and athleticism, these guys get neutralized at a D1 level because there are other exceptionally athletic defenders who stick to you like glue. You can't get past them.

You'd be surprised but a layman who grew up playing a sport (but didn't have the athletiticsm/size to play D1) could beat certain NBA players in skills challenges... and I'm not taking about a 3pt contest against Reggie Evans. There are def casual fans who can out-shoot decent forwards/guards who are in the NBA for other reasons than scoring. On the other hand, don't underestimate the ability of other guys' skills. I bet Demar hits 75% of his 3s when shooting in the gym.

There are also college players with no NBA future who would now beat Scalabrine (at this age now... Scal was a beast at USC) 1-on-1 though it doesn't prove much at the NBA level. The NBA places a microscope on certain skillsets, not overall game. Those who have many/several skill-sets AS WELL as size/athleticism develop into good players.
Yoga
Banned User
And1: 83

Post#43 » by Yoga » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:06 pm

Regression2u wrote:Just to add my 2 cents from my experience of attending camps (as a spectator as I was too young but knew a trainer) for aspiring D1 guys. There seem to be two type of players:

1) Incredibly skilled
2) Incredibly athletic or a physical specimen

I've seen guys in individual shooting drills hit 90% of their shots. They'd be upset after a single miss. The problem was that most of these guys either lacked the athleticism or height to excel after HS. Also, it's a lot easier to shoot in rhythm (one shot after another) than in a in-game situation.

Most of the camp players were there solely because of their size and/or athleticism. They dominated their HS peers even though they may have had so-so skills. Unless they're a combination of size and athleticism, these guys get neutralized at a D1 level because there are other exceptionally athletic defenders who stick to you like glue. You can't get past them.

You'd be surprised but a layman who grew up playing a sport (but didn't have the athletiticsm/size to play D1) could beat certain NBA players in skills challenges... and I'm not taking about a 3pt contest against Reggie Evans. There are def casual fans who can out-shoot decent forwards/guards. Playing 1-on-1 doesn't prove much. There are also college players with no NBA future who would now beat Scalabrine (at this age now... Scal was a beast at USC) 1-on-1 though it doesn't prove much at the NBA level.

By the way, thanks for the info about the job market in NYC, regression. At this point in my career, I doubt I could afford living there. Maybe when I become in a more senior role, I will consider moving there
Sojourn
Pro Prospect
And1: 72

Post#44 » by Sojourn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:13 pm

if u had good lateral quicks, taller than caledron and stronger- you could contest his jump shots and post him up on every possession which he wouldnt be able to stop. again to reiterate, i'm not downplaying his skills as a nba player but he lacks the qualities to be a good one on one player.
3Si
Assistant Coach
And1: 334

Post#45 » by 3Si » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Sojourn wrote:if u had good lateral quicks, taller than caledron and stronger- you could contest his jump shots and post him up on every possession which he wouldnt be able to stop. again to reiterate, i'm not downplaying his skills as a nba player but he lacks the qualities to be a good one on one player.

Just because he doesn't do it in a regular game doesn't mean he lacks it. Now go back to your seat.
ballercb4
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#46 » by ballercb4 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:48 pm

Back in the day my friend brought his cousin who used to be on the Sri Lankan National Basketball Team (yes they have one) to play some "street ball" with us...I remember his mechanics and fundamentals were good + he had the height..Buttttttt we destroyed his team ;) I am guessing he didn't play for a while or where he is from there weren't many good players...My friend would always say if he lived in Sri Lanka he would be on the national team, I don't know if that's a good or bad thing :lol:
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#47 » by lucky777s » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Jose is just one of the best shooters in the best league in the world. Threatening a 50/40/90 season in shooting percentages. Shoots well off the catch and off the dribble. And he handles the rock against the quickest players in the world every single night. And defends against those same elite players at the most difficult position to guard in the game.

Sure. No 1 on 1 skills there.
Just Win Baby
Senior
And1: 75

Post#48 » by Just Win Baby » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Sojourn wrote:if u had good lateral quicks, taller than caledron and stronger- you could contest his jump shots and post him up on every possession which he wouldnt be able to stop. again to reiterate, i'm not downplaying his skills as a nba player but he lacks the qualities to be a good one on one player.

Hmm lets see: (in relative to one on one skills)

Great shot
Great handles
Coached up NBA on-ball defense
Superior athlete

Calderon would cook everyone on this board.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,210

Post#49 » by LLJ » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:26 pm

It's been proven time and time again that the crappiest NBA player would destroy any regular joe who thinks he can ball. You think they have crappy handles? In the NBA they might not be able to handle against the best defenders and athletes there, but against you or me they'd look like Chris Paul.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,272

Post#50 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:27 pm

Anybody who thinks they could hold their own against even the worst player is an idiot.
DonkeyPunch
Junior
And1: 56

Post#51 » by DonkeyPunch » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:29 pm

A good friend of mine played against Robert Sarcre in High School, and this guy, who can do nothing but block shots in the NBA, DOMINATED the game in every facet.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women." Conan
Meursault
Starter
And1: 1,037

Post#52 » by Meursault » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:36 pm

it's the same in any professional sport. when i was in grade 11, OHL players went to my school. we played floor hockey in gym class, and these guys were ripping wrist shots from their own blue line and scoring on us. not to mention, they would LOL when one guy would start from behind his own net, out-deke our entire team and then roof one top-shelf over our goalie. and these are guys who didn't end up playing in the NHL, not to mention the half-dozen who did of which 1 became a perennial all-star.

we were all good sports about it - we spent more time laughing at being utterly dominated than in feeling sorry for ourselves. a few of them gave us a few tips on how to shoot better.

so in short, this thread gave me a good laugh - unless you played D1 NCAA basketball last year, got drafted, and decided to give up your NBA career to go to med school instead, you're deluding yourself if you think you can hold your own against any NBA player.
raps95
Junior
And1: 58

Post#53 » by raps95 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:35 pm

I'm fully in line with the whole, "The worst nba guy would destroy any amateur" thing. So much so that I'd be really curious to know what it would be like if a truly dominant player like Lebron did the same thing? I mean, if Scalabrine is beating people 11-0, what would Lebron do? Would it become a matter of not even trying to score and measuring your success by how long you were able to hold onto the ball before he stole it, or by who got their shot blocked right back into their face the fewest times?

It would never happen because, really, where's the motivation for someone of Lebron's level to take something like this on, or even try at anything above 10% effort if he did, but I think it would be really amusing to see how something like that would play out.
Meursault
Starter
And1: 1,037

Post#54 » by Meursault » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:17 pm

raps95 wrote:I'm fully in line with the whole, "The worst nba guy would destroy any amateur" thing. So much so that I'd be really curious to know what it would be like if a truly dominant player like Lebron did the same thing? I mean, if Scalabrine is beating people 11-0, what would Lebron do? Would it become a matter of not even trying to score and measuring your success by how long you were able to hold onto the ball before he stole it, or by who got their shot blocked right back into their face the fewest times?

It would never happen because, really, where's the motivation for someone of Lebron's level to take something like this on, or even try at anything above 10% effort if he did, but I think it would be really amusing to see how something like that would play out.

it's funny because sometimes you see footage of NBAers playing against streetballers and the latter seem to hold their own for a few plays. so i think it's possible for a couple of these elite non-pro guys to win a set play against an NBAer, but i fail to see i) how these streetballers can win an actual match up [i.e. 5 points to win] ii) anyone on this board can compete with these said streetballers.
maxpower88
Senior
And1: 174

Post#55 » by maxpower88 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:17 pm

I love it when fans get shown how dumb they are. Scalabrine may look like a guy you'd call for tech support rather than a professional athlete, but some fans are just ridiculous.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#56 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Scalabrine is pretty cool. The whole conversion about "nba scrubs can beat disparaging internet forum nerds at basketball by a wide margin" is a bit obvious and lame (just imo), though it might make a decent article for the onion.

The thing I like about scalabrine is he doesn't look like the kind of guy who belongs in the nba. He doesn't even look as good as a lot of ncaa starters or even scrubs. But he has a pretty good stroke and even some guard skills for a stretch nba big and tries pretty hard and has a fair amount of hustle, intelligence and competitive fire.

But he's still seems like a semi out of shape kinda fat white guy with limited athleticism so its easy for people to get on him especially if he's on a long overpaid contract.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
TimoCruz
Starter
And1: 221

Post#57 » by TimoCruz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:34 pm

I played against Andrew Nicholson. He started off the game just shooting jumpers. We were beating them going into the second half and he decided to turn it on. Completely destroyed us. Awesome experience.
Courtesy of TurboZone
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#58 » by sanity » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:35 pm

Scalabrine owned these guys without even trying... just with his post-moves/footwork/strength(not fouling), like any legit NBA player would

Say what you want about College ball (D1) or Euro/Asia Leagues... the NBA is where the best talent in the world is. You don't last in the league on any team if you don't belong there. He might be an end of the bench player, but I"m sure he was ridden hard in practice to keep the best players on his teams in check, especially if competitive playoffs teams like Chicago and Boston wanted him on their roster
fatal9
Bench Warmer
And1: 543

Post#59 » by fatal9 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 pm

When I was a junior in high school I played against Stacey Dales (WNBA player), and she pretty much owned our entire team filled with guys who were bigger. We were actually pretty good, but her jumper was automatic, after you missed a shot, you weren't going to see the ball again. LOL @ guys in this thread who think they could take on Jose, not only would he score on you 10 times in a row with ease, he'd shut you down too. He's a bad defender when he's facing elite NBA athletes, but he still has better size and defensive fundamentals than your typical good streetballer.
vergogna
Bench Warmer
And1: 79

Post#60 » by vergogna » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:48 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysv3v7uXblw[/youtube]

Return to Toronto Raptors