ImageImageImageImageImage

Masai/Leiweke Press Conference (Recap P31, Video P40)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Re: Masai/Leiweke Press Conference (Recap Pg. 31) 

Post#501 » by fredericklove » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:13 pm

tarheel06 wrote:
MEDIC wrote:
tarheel06 wrote:Even though MU was pretty tight-lipped in the PC, with the heavy emphasis on growing Canadian basketball, it's hard not to think the plan is to tank for Andrew Wiggins. But maybe that's just wishful thinking.

LOL. Really? That's what you got from that?

Yes, it is. Ujiri talked about young, up-and-coming players on the Canadian youth teams that he couldn't mention by name. That screams Andrew Wiggins to me, unless you know of other under-19 Canadian players that are sure shot NBA talents.

No it isn't about Wiggins, he's just using that Canadian youth team as reference, basically he heavily favors on developing the young guys, and based upon he's got scouting as his background, so probably that development of young talent within the roster is critically important on Masai's part. Tbh, like if you drafted this young kid, you better develop him. Maybe it's Masai hearing all about how Casey's not developing Jonas and Ross, so that's why he's talkin' about the importance of young talent development (Canadian kids reference) because they are a huge component of team success.
ishoy123
Starter
And1: 2,622

Post#502 » by ishoy123 » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:14 pm

And1Skip wrote:
LeBronNextMJ wrote:MU kept bringing up developing young talent and rebuilding the right way, also talked a bit about tearing it down, all signs points to duking it out with the bobcats next year for the #1 pick

I thought he kept saying developing young talent at the "back-end of the roster"? Does that mean tanking? Who's at the "front-end" of the roster? It could mean that play young players more instead of Aaron Gray and Alan Anderson but then, if DC did that last season, we would've probably won more games.

He did. I think this means Quincy Acy, and Terrence Ross, maybe Tomislav Zubcic.
wtcantfw
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,578

Post#503 » by wtcantfw » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:15 pm

dagger wrote:
tarheel06 wrote:
MEDIC wrote:

LOL. Really? That's what you got from that?

Yes, it is. Ujiri talked about young, up-and-coming players on the Canadian youth teams that he couldn't mention by name. That screams Andrew Wiggins to me, unless you know of other under-19 Canadian players that are sure shot NBA talents.

He talked about the growth of basketball here in general, I didn't get the impression he was pointing us at drafting Wiggins.

Like I said, maybe it's just wishful thinking. But not naming names gives me the impression there are specific targets.
carlosrogers34
Junior
And1: 18

Re: Masai/Leiweke Press Conference Tues 11am Links Pg.8 

Post#504 » by carlosrogers34 » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:15 pm

TheDoctor wrote:There were no tea leaves to read. He didn't tip his hat on players, style, or anything.

The only conclusive thing is that he intends to fill the end of the roster with young players (vs retreads), and grow players here.

I think the comment about young players is enough of a hint about the direction of the team. You can succeed with young guys on the bench if you have strong veteran leadership in your starting five like Indy and San Antonio. But if your starting five is relatively young and your bench is also inexperienced, you're not going to win many games. I think we're heading into the high lottery for at least the next 2-3 years.
SwaggWagg
Banned User
And1: 329

Post#505 » by SwaggWagg » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:15 pm

Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,630

Post#506 » by Inevitable » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:15 pm

There was no clear answer to direction yet. He could have easily been referring to our young pieces in Val/DeRozan/Ross/Acy. He still mentioned he hasn't even gotten his staff together to analyze the roster.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,986

Post#507 » by MEDIC » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:17 pm

galacticos2 wrote:Except he never asked a basketball question. He asked a business question.

I wouldn't even call it a business question. It's obvious why BC isn't there.

It was a dumb question with the only intention being trying to create some kind of drama.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,608

Post#508 » by Hassassin » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:17 pm

tarheel06 wrote:
dagger wrote:
tarheel06 wrote:Yes, it is. Ujiri talked about young, up-and-coming players on the Canadian youth teams that he couldn't mention by name. That screams Andrew Wiggins to me, unless you know of other under-19 Canadian players that are sure shot NBA talents.

He talked about the growth of basketball here in general, I didn't get the impression he was pointing us at drafting Wiggins.

Like I said, maybe it's just wishful thinking. But not naming names gives me the impression there are specific targets.

He also could be referring to one of the 3 Canadians in the draft.
TheRealBlizzy
Banned User
And1: 478

Re: Masai/Leiweke Press Conference Tues 11am Links Pg.8 

Post#509 » by TheRealBlizzy » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:17 pm

MEDIC wrote:
aselvana wrote:
SwaggWagg wrote:This will not be a complete tank or rebuild folks

totally agree, that last part of pc was most news worthy.

raptors have some good pieces, we can grow and build upon that. sounds like re-tool

That was always pretty much obvious. It's only the fans here that "want" that to happen.

I CANT WAIT FOR RUDY GAYS BUM ASS TO GET TRADED AND SEE YOUR POSTS. IM COMING BACK TO THIS.
galacticos2
Banned User
And1: 71

Post#510 » by galacticos2 » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:18 pm

Inevitable wrote:There was no clear answer to direction yet. He could have easily been referring to our young pieces in Val/DeRozan/Ross/Acy. He still mentioned he hasn't even gotten his staff together to analyze the roster.

except he mentioned that he talked to jay triano talking about young CANADIAN players.

*coughs* wiggins
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#511 » by pbj » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:18 pm

Alright guys pack it up, nothing to work with here.. we'll reconvene in 2 or 3 weeks.
galacticos2
Banned User

Post#512 » by galacticos2 » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:19 pm

MEDIC wrote:
galacticos2 wrote:Except he never asked a basketball question. He asked a business question.

It was a dumb question with the only intention being trying to create some kind of drama.

Considering this board complains a whole lot about Rogers/Bell controlling media and we don't get good journalism or real answers, I consider Simmons and Toth's questions a breath of fresh air.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,777

Post#513 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:20 pm

I still think we go young, and try to construct a nucleus around Jonas V.

That means Lowry and Gay are gone imo.
22haytham22
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,265

Post#514 » by 22haytham22 » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:20 pm

Any other interviews coming up? Maybe with Sid and TIm?

TreadMilling Since 1995

Darain wrote:Dude is like 6-10, 6-12 at the most
But he is definitely not 7 foot
MEDIC
RealGM

Post#515 » by MEDIC » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:20 pm

tarheel06 wrote:"LOL. Really?? That's what you got from that??" -- MEDIC

Sorry Dude. Didn't mean to offend you.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,582

Post#516 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:21 pm

Has he traded DeMar yet?
joseph235
Banned User
And1: 1,895

Post#517 » by joseph235 » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:21 pm

22haytham22 wrote:Any other interviews coming up? Maybe with Sid and TIm?

He's going to be on the FAn590 at 6pm, he's also gonna be on the 4-7 show on tsn radio too but I don't know at what time.
ishoy123
Starter
And1: 2,622

Post#518 » by ishoy123 » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:23 pm

galacticos2 wrote:
Inevitable wrote:There was no clear answer to direction yet. He could have easily been referring to our young pieces in Val/DeRozan/Ross/Acy. He still mentioned he hasn't even gotten his staff together to analyze the roster.

except he mentioned that he talked to jay triano talking about young CANADIAN players.

*coughs* wiggins

He wasn't talking about the Raptors. He was talking about how Toronto is a good basketball city overall, by pumping out young players like Wiggins, Bennett, Kabongo, and he wants to continue to help the city in that aspect.
MEDIC
RealGM

Post#519 » by MEDIC » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:23 pm

galacticos2 wrote:
MEDIC wrote:

Considering this board complains a whole lot about Rogers/Bell controlling media and we don't get good journalism or real answers, I consider Simmons and Toth's questions a breath of fresh air.

I guess.

I could really care less why BC wasn't there. He's been moved to a new position & he isn't Masai's superior. . Núff said.

Might as well ask why DC isn't there.
galacticos2
Banned User

Post#520 » by galacticos2 » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:25 pm

MEDIC wrote:
galacticos2 wrote:
MEDIC wrote:

I guess.

I could really care less why BC wasn't there. He's been moved to a new position & he isn't Masai's superior. . Núff said.

Might as well ask why DC isn't there.

Casey's position hasn't been confirmed yet. BC's has already been confirmed. You might not care about why BC's wasn't there, that doesn't mean others don't. Stop being ignorant.

Return to Toronto Raptors