ImageImageImageImageImage

Cathal Kelly: The Raptors will never rule Toronto

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Re: Cathal Kelly: The Raptors will never rule Toronto 

Post#41 » by Mattd97 » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:20 pm

ive never understood why people on this board want to be popular. you know what the most popular shows on tv are? the voice, two and a half men, ncis, csi, etc. being popular doesnt make you good
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
grumpwalter
Analyst
And1: 1,410

Post#42 » by grumpwalter » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:20 pm

#ProveEmWrong
Spacing
Banned User
And1: 2,252

Post#43 » by Spacing » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:21 pm

HeartBreaking wrote:
Volcano wrote:Is Cathal a female or male name?

why do people watch hockey when they can't see the puck? f*** hockey

people who watch hockey can track the puck pretty damn well

This.

But you have to admit, Fox's glowing puck was pretty cool outside of it costing them a fortune every time it went into the stands.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#44 » by Geddy » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:22 pm

Not any time soon but give it another couple of generations
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
Rapsx
Banned User
And1: 66

Post#45 » by Rapsx » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:27 pm

"By 2013, Forbes was citing statistics, though without specific attribution, that the growth rate of basketball among Canadian youth exceeded hockey and soccer. Also, the magazine claimed, basketball was the most popular team participation sport among kids 12 to 17. It didn't hurt that Canada had eased its immigration laws since the 1970s, leading to an influx of new residents from countries where basketball was the passion, not hockey."

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/11/01/international-influence-canada/
Birth of the Cool
Analyst
And1: 1,446

Post#46 » by Birth of the Cool » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:29 pm

These threads are always the same...Raptors fan decry the writer, talk about how only old white men watch the Leafs, how hockey sucks, etc, etc..but those Leafs haters are incorrect.

The writer is correct in one major aspect, Raptors "love" comes from winning - once the Raptors stop winning then their huge bandwagon goes too, unlike the Leafs where their mediocrity over many many years does not decrease the fanaticism of that team.

This idea that keeps being perpetuated on this board that only old white dudes still watch the Leafs is laughable. I know many young east asian bball heads that are also big Leafs fans. I know the community hockey pickup games I have played for years is not only white guys, but lots and lots of East and South Asians (in fact a LOT of young South Asian dudes play hockey). So this notion that young minorities aren't following hockey the way the previous white generation used to seems pretty false to me.

and it's not like the Raptors players themselves have anything against the Leafs or hockey like posters here do - it seems every year an Amir or someone is shown wearing a Leafs Jersey attending a Leafs game. Popeye Jones own kid ended up playing Hockey.

This notion that hockey is dying and basketball is rising is so false. Raptors will need years and years of success and eventually championship(s) to oust the Leafs from the Toronto spotlight...right now a lot of us hardcore Raptors fans (one's from the very beginning) are just along the ride with the bandwagonners who will jump off at the first sign of failure
Rapsx
Banned User
And1: 66

Post#47 » by Rapsx » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:30 pm

I say the raps have to make at least a finals appearance to get respect
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,733

Post#48 » by Basketball_Jones » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:38 pm

I'm cool with that to be honest. Don't really care either way which team is more popular, just as long as the one I follow is accessible. I should be able to catch every game on television without having to shell out for some TSN2 channel or whatever. And most of all,I should be able to go to almost any bar and have a couple of televisions on the Raptors game.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Dan2087
2016 "Beat The Commish" Champion
And1: 5,120

Post#49 » by Dan2087 » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:40 pm

I wish we could just support all of our teams instead of worrying if one team can over take the other in terms of popularity. They all represent the city so I'll support them all. Sure hockey it's number one, but this city can also support the raps, and we do a pretty good job of it
RaptorsFan100
Pro Prospect
And1: 793

Post#50 » by RaptorsFan100 » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:46 pm

who goes out of their way to write some pointless crap like this :lol: did she feel like her precious hockey was slipping away and wanted to put the raptors down.
kieferli
Analyst
And1: 4,070

Post#51 » by kieferli » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:53 pm

Dan2087 wrote:I wish we could just support all of our teams instead of worrying if one team can over take the other in terms of popularity. They all represent the city so I'll support them all. Sure hockey it's number one, but this city can also support the raps, and we do a pretty good job of it

That so true why can't we just support all sports that we have in Toronto?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Credit:Clutch0z24
Laurier
Senior
And1: 480

Post#52 » by Laurier » Tue Nov 4, 2014 5:03 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Headline: Raptors will never rule toronto.

Use national numbers to prove it.

Haha exactly my thoughts on his article.

However, I totally believe hockey is still the #1 sport but the Raptors are gaining fans since our success last season. I don't know the demographics in the Toronto, but if you go outside of the GTA, everything is all about hockey. Durham region, majority of youths there loves hockey. There are hockey games on every other ponds along Orono, Newcastle, Lindsay, and etc. In Hamilton/Burlington, kids are packed in most organized hockey leagues. HBA, PBA, and Blessed Sacrament Basketball in Hamilton can't even compete in population size with any organized hockey in the area.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#53 » by DrCoach » Tue Nov 4, 2014 5:08 pm

I thought the Goal was the Rule the Atlantic Division and make the playoffs.

If what I saw in Jurrassic Square last playoffs was NOT ruling Toronto, Im good with that..
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,363

Post#54 » by Hero » Tue Nov 4, 2014 5:12 pm

RaptorsFan100 wrote:who goes out of their way to write some pointless crap like this :lol: did she feel like her precious hockey was slipping away and wanted to put the raptors down.

It's actually a man.

He is know for sensationalist drivel.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#55 » by DrCoach » Tue Nov 4, 2014 5:22 pm

Darknemo2000
Veteran
And1: 1,685

Post#56 » by Darknemo2000 » Tue Nov 4, 2014 5:30 pm

Jstock12 wrote:Is this called 'writing' in Canada? This article is something a random RealGM'er would post in their garbage thread.

Lol if it was posted on here like a post I would totally think its RealGM'er and a troll at that.
revvolutions
Starter
And1: 1,270

Post#57 » by revvolutions » Tue Nov 4, 2014 5:41 pm

I dunno, IMO among urban youths raptors have more pull, bball is accessible and less the sport that had it's glory days in the 60s, atleast in Toronto.
[img]http://i57.tinypic.com/bfj4f4.png[/im2g]
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,480

Post#58 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Nov 4, 2014 5:46 pm

I don't necessarily disagree with the notion that the Raptors will never match or surpass the Leafs popularity, but that article is pure junk. No insightful stats or evidence was provided at all. Just the typical clichés.
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#59 » by pbj » Tue Nov 4, 2014 5:53 pm

Spacing wrote:
HeartBreaking wrote:
Volcano wrote:Is Cathal a female or male name?

why do people watch hockey when they can't see the puck? f*** hockey

people who watch hockey can track the puck pretty damn well

This.

But you have to admit, Fox's glowing puck was pretty cool outside of it costing them a fortune every time it went into the stands.

I saw this comedian a few years ago, said something like "Is it really necessary to outline the puck during hockey games? I mean, it's black on white! Besides, Americans don't usually have trouble making that distinction!"
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#60 » by Patman » Tue Nov 4, 2014 5:54 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Cathal Kelly will never be a good writer.

Yes, but he's a GREAT over-writer. One of the best.

I was disappoint with the "usurious rates" line. Usury refers to excessive interest rates, not to ridiculously exorbitant prices (like Leaf tix).

Lol. So many "writers" just use a thesaurus to feel smart, but they don't even know the true meaning of the word to see if they're using it in the right context.

Return to Toronto Raptors