ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

rapcity10
Senior
And1: 437

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread (FIBA U19 Finals: CAN vs ITA TSN 2:20PM) 

Post#2921 » by rapcity10 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:07 am

A player to keep an eye on this year in the NCAA is Kassius Robertson at Missouri. Grad transfer from Canisius. Silky smooth jump shot. Has a really good chance of being a starter on that team, and being on the same team as the number 1 ranked prospect in college is surely going to bring a lot of much deserved publicity for him.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#2922 » by mojo13 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:54 pm

Magic signed Mo Speights today on a minimum-ish 1 year deal.

What the heck is going on with Birch - what's the ongoing hold-up? It cant take that long to work out the buiy-out.
I hope this doesn't screw him over - he had 600K euro guaranteed coming to him from Oly.

I suppose there is still room for Khem with the Magic. I also hear the Magic are trying to move Vuc. We shall see I guess.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#2923 » by mojo13 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:14 pm

Dylan Ennis signed with Mega Bemax (Basketball League of Serbia, ABA League, Basketball Champions League). So will be available if he is not tied to Jamaica.

Thomas Scrubb our SMNT's most recent starting SF left the BBL (Germany) and signed with Italian Series A team Sidigas Avellino.
Solid team - (3rd in regular season standings). FIBA Champions League participant so he will theoretically be available to the national team for the qualifiers.

Thomas Scrubb was playing pretty well in the BBL (a solid 3&D wing) before he had a late-season, season ending injury. Looks like he has recovered.

Didn't see any minutes for Phil Scrubb in the SL with the Kings. Maybe he is not quite fully recovered. Phil is an unsigned FA right now.

Most of the Italian clubs have lined up on the side of FIBA in their dispute with the EL - so the more guys in the Italian league the better for Canada and these qualifiers.

We are getting later into the summer and are starting to get an idea of who MIGHT be available to the national team for the qualifiers.

Probably's:
Dyshawn Pierre (SF) FIBA Champions League
Olivier Hanlan (PG/SG) FIBA Champions League
Thomas Scrubb (SF) FIBA Champions League
Daniel Mullins (SG)
Chris Boucher (PF/C) G- League
Jordan Bachynski (C) Japan
Rob Sacre (C) Japan
Sim Bhullar (C) Parts unknown, weight unknown....or Taiwan
Myck Kabongo (PG) Mexico? NBL?
Junior Caduogan (PG) NBL?

Maybe's:
Melvin Ejim (PF) EuroCup team - unknown if he will be released
Kyle Wilter PF (FA)
Phil Scrub PG/SG (FA)
Kyle Landry PF (FA)
Dylan Ennis PG/SG (citizenship - tied to Jamaica?)
Naz Long SG (FA - citizenship, may play for Greece)
Xavier Rathan Maynes PG (FA - has a NYK camp invite)
Anthony Bennett PF/C (FA)
Brady Heslip SG (FA)

Probably Not's:
Dillon Brooks (NBA) - a chance he will be in the G-league, but doubtful.
Khem Birch (still technically a FA, but likely in NBA)
Stefan Jankovic PF (FA) - said he wants to play for Serbia

No's:
All NBA guys.
Kevin Pangos (Euroleague)
Aaron Doornekamp (Euroleague)

What am I missing or have wrong? Anyone else worth throwing into the discussion? Hah...should we include RJ Barrett on this list? why not right?
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#2924 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:25 pm

mojo13 wrote:What the heck is going on with Birch - what's the ongoing hold-up? It cant take that long to work out the buiy-out.
I hope this doesn't screw him over - he had 600K euro guaranteed coming to him from Oly.

I suppose there is still room for Khem with the Magic. I also hear the Magic are trying to move Vuc. We shall see I guess.

The hold up might be that the Magic don't want to pay the buyout. Just speculating, but maybe they wanted to sign him only with paying a minimum deal, and not a buyout. Birch might have told them he would pay the buyout....and maybe he is having a problem paying the buyout.

Hopefully for Birch that isn't the case, because I don't see how he can come back to Olympiacos now (they already have 4 centers signed), and he still owes them that buyout, and most teams in EuroLeague already have their center position covered.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#2925 » by frumble » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:17 pm

mojo13 wrote:Dylan Ennis signed with Mega Bemax (Basketball League of Serbia, ABA League, Basketball Champions League). So will be available if he is not tied to Jamaica.

Thomas Scrubb our SMNT's most recent starting SF left the BBL (Germany) and signed with Italian Series A team Sidigas Avellino.
Solid team - (3rd in regular season standings). FIBA Champions League participant so he will theoretically be available to the national team for the qualifiers.

Thomas Scrubb was playing pretty well in the BBL (a solid 3&D wing) before he had a late-season, season ending injury. Looks like he has recovered.

Didn't see any minutes for Phil Scrubb in the SL with the Kings. Maybe he is not quite fully recovered. Phil is an unsigned FA right now.

Most of the Italian clubs have lined up on the side of FIBA in their dispute with the EL - so the more guys in the Italian league the better for Canada and these qualifiers.

We are getting later into the summer and are starting to get an idea of who MIGHT be available to the national team for the qualifiers.

Probably's:
Dyshawn Pierre (SF) FIBA Champions League
Olivier Hanlan (PG/SG) FIBA Champions League
Thomas Scrubb (SF) FIBA Champions League
Daniel Mullins (SG)
Chris Boucher (PF/C) G- League
Jordan Bachynski (C) Japan
Rob Sacre (C) Japan
Sim Bhullar (C) Parts unknown, weight unknown....or Taiwan
Myck Kabongo (PG) Mexico? NBL?
Junior Caduogan (PG) NBL?

Maybe's:
Melvin Ejim (PF) EuroCup team - unknown if he will be released
Kyle Wilter PF (FA)
Phil Scrub PG/SG (FA)
Kyle Landry PF (FA)
Dylan Ennis PG/SG (citizenship - tied to Jamaica?)
Naz Long SG (FA - citizenship, may play for Greece)
Xavier Rathan Maynes PG (FA - has a NYK camp invite)
Anthony Bennett PF/C (FA)
Brady Heslip SG (FA)

Probably Not's:
Dillon Brooks (NBA) - a chance he will be in the G-league, but doubtful.
Khem Birch (still technically a FA, but likely in NBA)
Stefan Jankovic PF (FA) - said he wants to play for Serbia

No's:
All NBA guys.
Kevin Pangos (Euroleague)
Aaron Doornekamp (Euroleague)

What am I missing or have wrong? Anyone else worth throwing into the discussion? Hah...should we include RJ Barrett on this list? why not right?

Thanks for the rundown. Much appreciated.

With Nicholson now a free agent, who I doubt will be signed by an NBA team, add him to the "maybe" list?
mojo13
Veteran

Post#2926 » by mojo13 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:29 pm

Nicholson's trade and waive was news to me.
Yep, put him in the "maybe" until we know where he lands. He can sure score on the FIBA level - it would be nice to have him.
However he seems that if he is out of the NBA, he'd be a Euroleague level talent. Maybe he goes to China...If I was him and I knew I had another $20 mil owed to me on this NBA contract, I'd avoid China and find a nice comfortable city in Italy or Spain with quality of life high on my list. No China, no Russia, no Turkey...find the good life.

Here is some updated info on the Canada Basketball website for the Summer (nothing too insightful here):
SENIOR MEN'S NATIONAL TEAM
The Senior Men's National Team enters 2017 having just missed out on qualifying for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio de Janiero. Needing a victory in the finals of the Olympic Qualifying Tournment to advance, Team Canada dropped an intense game to France by a score of 83-74.

The FIBA Men's AmeriCup 2017 will help prepare our men's national team to compete in the new FIBA competition structure. This team will be fielded with professional players from overseas and potentially USports athletes.

First Game: Sunday, August 27 vs. Virgin Islands. Time TBC.

Tryouts and training to take place in Toronto in mid-August.

http://www.basketball.ca/en/team_programs/mens-team
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,452

Post#2927 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Good rundown mojo, thanks.

As for other names, what's the deal with Kris Joseph? He certainly hasn't made much of a splash in Europe, and hasn't played with Canada in a while, but is he completely out of the picture?

Or how about Jermaine Bucknor? It looks like the list of available wings is a little thin. He's getting older but might also be worth a look.

One guy to add to the "Probably Not" category, but I might not rule him out completely would be Trey Lyles. After his trade to Denver, the Nuggets seemingly have a glut of players at the PF position - Paul Millsap, Kenneth Faried, Darrell Arthur, Juan Hernangomez, Tyler Lydon. Even though this will be his third year in the league, I wonder if he would spend some time down in the G-league during the season to try to regain some of his confidence.

That would be very helpful if a couple of offensively talented forwards like Lyles and Nicholson were available for the team.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#2928 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:26 pm

Another wing from the past to throw into the mix - Olu Ashaolu. Don't know the state of his game these days, or if he'd be useful, but I believe he's currently playing in Japan so he'd be available.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#2929 » by mojo13 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:36 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Good rundown mojo, thanks.

As for other names, what's the deal with Kris Joseph? He certainly hasn't made much of a splash in Europe, and hasn't played with Canada in a while, but is he completely out of the picture?

Or how about Jermaine Bucknor? It looks like the list of available wings is a little thin. He's getting older but might also be worth a look.

One guy to add to the "Probably Not" category, but I might not rule him out completely would be Trey Lyles. After his trade to Denver, the Nuggets seemingly have a glut of players at the PF position - Paul Millsap, Kenneth Faried, Darrell Arthur, Juan Hernangomez, Tyler Lydon. Even though this will be his third year in the league, I wonder if he would spend some time down in the G-league during the season to try to regain some of his confidence.

That would be very helpful if a couple of offensively talented forwards like Lyles and Nicholson were available for the team.

Both Joseph and Bucknor I think are probably going to be available. Neither are good enough to really be restricted. I don't know either of their current contract situations but Joseph played for Endisi in the Italian Series A which wasn't in any international league (last in EuroCup in 15/16) but not sure for 17/18 or if Joseph is still with them. Joseph didn't do much in this years Summer League and he might a have been a decade older than some players. I don;t see why he would be totally out of the picure for Team Canada, I just don't think he is very good. But we certainly might need him.
Bucknor - he seems to have falling off a bit. Last year he split time between the German BBL and Argentina only playing a combined 21 games. Not sure if he was cut from an average BBL team and then went to ARG or what happened. No idea if he is attached to any club right now. I'd assume, he'd be available if needed.
T Scrubb and Dyshawn Pierre I think are superior players at this point. Admittedly Pierre is still playing as a PF and is similar to Ejim in style.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#2930 » by mojo13 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:30 pm

And Tyler Ennis signs a 1+1 with the Lakers.
Great news!

I believe near minimum. ~$1.5M
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#2931 » by frumble » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:19 pm

A few possible names to add to Mojo's list.

At SG, what about Rautins, Calliste, and Devoe Joseph?

I know Rautins hasn't played since his Dad was fired, but its been 5 years now, and maybe he would consider coming back to the program?

Calliste and D. Joseph aren't great, but depending on who else is available, they might be needed. I believe Calliste was in camp last summer (though he can't be happy about being passed over for a completely untested and out of place Shae Alexander).

At SF we are (as usual) very thin. Kris Joseph was mentioned above. May also need to consider J. Shepherd (assuming he is still active). Not ideal, but if Pierre and/or T. Scrubb aren't available, not sure who else we have (I consider Ejim and Ashaolu to be undersized 4s rather than 3s, and it might be useful to have at least one true 3 on the roster).

Up front, Anthony for one last hurrah? With full NBA talent he has no place, but relative to Bhullar, Bachynski, Landry, and Sacre I think its a different story.
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#2932 » by frumble » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:23 pm

Another guard to consider is Justin Edwards. Played in Hungary last season. Not sure what his status is for this coming season.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#2933 » by mojo13 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:06 pm

Brady Heslip signs in Turkey's top league with Tranzonspor. A mid grade club that didn't play In any international league last year. If that holds for this year or they play the fiba champions league he should probably be available too.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#2934 » by mojo13 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:09 pm

Ok - so to clean that up a bit with the additional adds we have:

Probably's: (Signed with teams where they officially wont be restricted to play, or FAs that most likely don't sign with restricted teams ie: Euroleague/NBA.
Dyshawn Pierre (SF) signed in Italy. FIBA Champions League team
Thomas Scrubb (SF) signed in Italy FIBA Champions League team
Brady Heslip (SG) signed in Turkey
Olivier Hanlan (PG/SG) FA? last season signed in France. FIBA Champions League team
Jevohn Shepperd (SF) FA. signed in France IBA Champions League team
Daniel Mullins (SG) FA? last season in Finland
Chris Boucher (PF/C) signed a two way for G-League
Jordan Bachynski (C) signed in Japan
Rob Sacre (C) signed in Japan
Sim Bhullar (C) Parts unknown, weight unknown....last season in Taiwan and China 2nd Division.
Myck Kabongo (PG) last season Mexico? NBL?
Junior Caduogan (PG) last season in NBL
Kris Joseph (SF) FA? last season in Italy
Justin Edwards (SG) (FA? - last season in Hungary)
Devoe Jospeph (SG) (FA? - last season in Venezuela)
Jermaine Bucknor (SF) FA? last season in Germany/Argentina
Andy Rautins (SG) FA? last season in Turkey
Jason Calliste (SG FA? last season in D-League
Olu Ashaolu (PF) FA? Last season in Japan
Kyle Landry (PF) FA Last season in Russia

Maybe's: (have the potential to be with teams that won't release them)
Andrew Nicholson (PF) - FA. Last year in NBA
Melvin Ejim (PF) Signed in Russia. EuroCup team - unknown if he will be released
Kyle Wilter (PF) FA Last year in NBA/D-League
Phil Scrubb (PG/SG) FA. Last year in Germany.
Dylan Ennis (PG/SG) citizenship - tied to Jamaica? Signed in Serbia.
Naz Long (SG) FA - citizenship, may play for Greece
Xavier Rathan Maynes (PG) FA - has a NYK camp invite
Anthony Bennett (PF/C) FA. Last year in NBA/Euroleague
Joel Anthony (C) FA - Retired? Last year in NBA

Probably Not's:
Dillon Brooks (SF/PF) - Signed with Grizzlies. a chance he will be in the G-league, but doubtful.
Khem Birch (PF/C) Supposedly signed with Magic. still technically a FA, but likely in NBA.
Trey Lyles (PF) Signed deal with Denver. A chance he will be in the G-League
Stefan Jankovic (PF) FA - said he wants to play for Serbia

No's:
All NBA guys.
Kevin Pangos (PG) Euroleague
Aaron Doornekamp (SF/PF) Euroleague
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#2935 » by aminiaturebuddha » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:14 pm

Not to add to your work, mojo, since you've done a great job of putting these lists together, but I just thought of another one - Duane Notice. Not quite sure where he's headed this year, but he's played with the program in the past. Seems like there's already a plethora of undersized 2 guards, but he probably warrants at least a mention.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#2936 » by hsb » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:57 pm

More Canadians (nods head quietly). Khem Birch signs with Orlando.

"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,745

Post#2937 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:32 pm

hsb wrote:More Canadians (nods head quietly). Khem Birch signs with Orlando.

Man, they forgot to include all their offseason plans board in the background. Disappointed.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#2938 » by mojo13 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:45 am

Twitter rumors are heating up re: Kyle Wiltjer to Baskonia (Euroleague/ ACB).

That would be a good move for him, but make him unavailable to the national team for qualification process.

If anyone sees the terms to Birch's deal let us know. Sounds like 2 years for league minimum. Team option on year 2 but I am unsure. Not sure if he is considered a rookie or not as he received money from the Heat at some point for Preseason games. Big difference in league minimum from rookie to year 2.
Bobby Plump
Junior
And1: 214

Post#2939 » by Bobby Plump » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:35 am

I am wondering who is going to coach the senior national team olympic qualifiers that occur during the NBA season? Triano has a gig as an assistant coach with the Suns. Is Lavar available?
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#2940 » by aminiaturebuddha » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:02 am

Bobby Plump wrote:I am wondering who is going to coach the senior national team olympic qualifiers that occur during the NBA season? Triano has a gig as an assistant coach with the Suns. Is Lavar available?

Good question (the first one, not the Lavar one). I hadn't really thought about coaching availability. Unfortunately that probably rules out Roy Rana as well, as I'm sure Ryerson wouldn't like to go without their head coach for parts of the season either.

Is FIBA hoping that national programs will be hiring full time coaches or something with this new schedule? I don't think there are any national programs that would have the money to hire half decent coaches full time. No one good would take the gigs.

I would still like to see Triano step down and hand the reigns to Rana. The boys program will now be ranked number 2 in the world, once the points from the most recent U19 tournament are factored in. Rankings points are calculated on an 8-year cycle, and for most of that Rana has been in charge of the Junior Men's Team. I realize that he's had more talent to work with than any Canadian coach in history, but you still have to do something with all that talent, and Rana has undeniably succeeded. Time to move the program forward.

Of course, that still wouldn't address Bobby's question above about fitting coaching schedules into these new qualifier games.

Return to Toronto Raptors