ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,459

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread (FIBA Americas Aug 25 - Sep 3) 

Post#3501 » by aminiaturebuddha » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:09 am

Nickeil Alexander-Walker is off to a great start early on in his NCAA career at Virginia Tech. It's only two games, and against weak competition, but still - 26.5 ppg, 4 rpg, 3.5 apg in 28.5 minutes on 63% shooting is impressive for any freshman.
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#3502 » by TheFutureMM » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Finally found high-lights for SGA and NAW.

SGA

NAW

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#3503 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:40 pm

mojo13 wrote:Not add to the quibbling but Pangos is much more than that this year. He leads the team in scoring and minutes played and is second on the team in assists. He is a leader on the team and has been the driver of many late game runs. He is a top three player for Zalgiris and is "a" go-to player if not "the" go-to player how ever we want to define it. He is no EL superstar but he sure seems like once of the most important pieces for Zalgiris this year.

European basketball is nothing like the NBA in terms of a caste system. The leading scorer of a team does not mean "go to player" in European basketball. It might be the same, or it might not. Actually, the 3-4 option of the team can regularly be the leading scorer of the team.

It's a completely different basketball philosophy. Regardless of stats, Pangos is definitely not the go to player of his team. From watching the games, he's mainly a designated sniper, getting the looks from outside. The clear go to player of the team is Paulius Jankunas. Vasilije Micic is basically their 2nd option (he has the main role of setting the offense and creating).

Kevn Pangos is in the same kind of role like Ray Allen had on the Celtics, or like what JJ Redick had in the Clippers, and now with the 76ers. In basketball that is strongly team oriented, that guy can easily be the team's leading scorer, even with being a 3rd option or whatever. In NBA terms (what you mean by "go to player"), that guy can never be the leading scorer in his NBA team, because he won't get the ball enough, because the "go to player" will have the ball almost always (unlike how it is done in European basketball).
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#3504 » by BilboBanginz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Some Team USA news:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

So far it's something like:

PG: Semaj Christon / Xavier Munford / Larry Drew II
SG: Donald Sloan / Markel Brown
SF: Elijah Millsap
PF: Amile Jefferson / Travis Wear / Jameel Warney
C: Kennedy Meeks

Pretty small team, but most have at least a little bit of NBA experience.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#3505 » by mojo13 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:07 pm

SI out with their 2018 Mock draft:
https://www.si.com/nba/nba-mock-draft-2018

Per Canadians only JJ listed:

"16. Portland Trail Blazers TRAIL BLAZERS | JUSTIN JACKSON, F, MARYLAND | SO.

The other Justin Jackson (now the only one, for our purposes) is a jack-of-all-trades forward whose strength is in his versatility. He’s 6’7” with an absurd 7’3” wingspan that allows him to play big, and his skill set is an interesting fit in a league skewing small. He shot 44% from three last season, a clip that may not be sustainable but offers promise. Jackson showed enough to earn a combine invite last season, and his ball-handling, strength and defensive instincts all bode well. He won’t be an offensive focal point at the next level, but profiles as the kind of player who helps everywhere else."
WellYouKnow
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#3506 » by WellYouKnow » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Im about 99 and 2/3rds % sure this is because of me pestering them :)
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#3507 » by TheFutureMM » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:44 am

Read on Twitter

Just an FYI, as per Stein, no NBA players or two-way contract players. FYI that rules out Birch and Boucher when healthy.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3508 » by mojo13 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:25 am

TheFutureMM wrote:
Read on Twitter

Just an FYI, as per Stein, no NBA players or two-way contract players. FYI that rules out Birch and Boucher when healthy.

I don't think Brooks was ever considered, especially now that he is starting for the Grizz.
Two way were in question so that clears that up. Although we knew Boucher was not likely going to be healthy.

The real question to me is still a guy like Khem Birch. He has an NBA deal but assigned to the G. This makes me think he is out too.
TooBad
Starter
And1: 1,193

Post#3509 » by TooBad » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:35 am

Dillon Brooks with his 2nd 19pt gm of his career tonight....Wiggins better watch out because he might be a bench player on Canada soon...Murray/Brooks/Barrett could all be a head of him by the time Canada qualifies for the olympics.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3510 » by mojo13 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:26 am

TooBad wrote:Dillon Brooks with his 2nd 19pt gm of his career tonight....Wiggins better watch out because he might be a bench player on Canada soon...Murray/Brooks/Barrett could all be a head of him by the time Canada qualifies for the olympics.

You really don't like Wiggins eh? Why the dislike? I get he hasn't quite lived up to the hype, by that is a regular ocuurance now ina world of overhype. I still think he is our only superstar potential player, is still quite young and undeveloped. Even at this young age he is probably an all-star in the eastern conference.

On another note Justin Edwards is leaving his Italian Series A team after a really strong start. Apparently he is being bought out by a South Korean team. That seems like an irregular event. Are there really that much deeper pockets in a South Korea?
http://amp.sportando.com/253800
TooBad
Starter
And1: 1,193

Post#3511 » by TooBad » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:24 am

mojo13 wrote:
TooBad wrote:Dillon Brooks with his 2nd 19pt gm of his career tonight....Wiggins better watch out because he might be a bench player on Canada soon...Murray/Brooks/Barrett could all be a head of him by the time Canada qualifies for the olympics.

You really don't like Wiggins eh? Why the dislike? I get he hasn't quite lived up to the hype, by that is a regular ocuurance now ina world of overhype. I still think he is our only superstar potential player, is still quite young and undeveloped. Even at this young age he is probably an all-star in the eastern conference.

On another note Justin Edwards is leaving his Italian Series A team after a really strong start. Apparently he is being bought out by a South Korean team. That seems like an irregular event. Are there really that much deeper pockets in a South Korea?
http://amp.sportando.com/253800

I just hate the way he plays/acts (he is such a waste of talent). He has no motor, poor IQ, poor shot selection, lazy defense/rebounding,can't pass,etc. On top of all that he skipped out on Canada (not that he was any good when he did show). I was watching both Wiggins and Brooks today and the style of play is night and day. Brooks is literally the opposite of everything Wiggins is and I say that as a compliment.
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#3512 » by BilboBanginz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Good news for Canada?

Read on Twitter
NG15
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#3513 » by NG15 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:17 pm

We just released the list of 24: http://basketball.ca/en/news-article/slug-9cc3j2

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,819

Post#3514 » by UcanUwill » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:36 pm

BilboBanginz wrote:Good news for Canada?

Read on Twitter

Not necessarily. I mean how many Canadians play in Euroleague. Kevin Pangos is the only one I think. I mean he would be a boost for sure, but we have to check how many Euroleaguers do Canadian opponents have, right?
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#3515 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:39 pm

NG15 wrote:We just released the list of 24: http://basketball.ca/en/news-article/slug-9cc3j2

Finally! Thanks.

I'm disappointed Birch isn't on the list. But a team with XRM, Hanlan, Pierre, Ejim, Bennett, Heslip and the Scrubb brothers should be enough to get us through this first round if all of those guys come through.

We're very weak at center without Birch (do you go with an over-the-hill Anthony, a too-slow and not able to play big minutes Bhullar, or an unproven Amardi?), but maybe they can play a lot of small ball, with someone like Bennett effectively playing center, since I don't think there are too many dominant big men we'll have to contend with in the November of February games. And hopefully by February Chris Boucher will be available.

Overall, not too bad if this means that these players have actually committed to being available and the coaches just have to pick the best team from amongst this list. It'll be interesting to see if Ashaolu and Joseph have anything left to offer, as we're also a little thin on bigger wings.
slothrop8
Head Coach
And1: 7,278

Post#3516 » by slothrop8 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:39 pm

Happy to see Ejim and Bennett on the list. With XRM, Hanlan, Scrubb, Heslip, etc I think we have enough competent guards but I was worried about the front court - especially with Nicholson likely unavailable. If Ejim and Bennett play - I'll feel better about the front court to be able to get through this qualifying window at least.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#3517 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:43 pm

BilboBanginz wrote:Good news for Canada?

Read on Twitter

Not quite sure if I understand what this means. By "round 2" do they just mean the second game in November? Or do they mean the games in February? Or the real Round 2, which begins next September? "Round II of November's games" doesn't really make sense.
NG15
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#3518 » by NG15 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:46 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
NG15 wrote:We just released the list of 24: http://basketball.ca/en/news-article/slug-9cc3j2

Finally! Thanks.

I'm disappointed Birch isn't on the list. But a team with XRM, Hanlan, Pierre, Ejim, Bennett, Heslip and the Scrubb brothers should be enough to get us through this first round if all of those guys come through.

We're very weak at center without Birch (do you go with an over-the-hill Anthony, a too-slow and not able to play big minutes Bhullar, or an unproven Amardi?), but maybe they can play a lot of small ball, with someone like Bennett effectively playing center, since I don't think there are too many dominant big men we'll have to contend with in the November of February games. And hopefully by February Chris Boucher will be available.

Overall, not too bad if this means that these players have actually committed to being available and the coaches just have to pick the best team from amongst this list. It'll be interesting to see if Ashaolu and Joseph have anything left to offer, as we're also a little thin on bigger wings.

Birch isn't eligible. He's part of the Orlando Magic.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
WellYouKnow
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#3519 » by WellYouKnow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Happy to see the Raptors 905 guys there. I love that they have made a commitment to having Canadian players and its paying off for the National Team

Front court doesnt look too bad to me. The additions of Ejim, Klassen, Joseph, Bennet and Trasolini are worlds better than a few months ago when it looked like Rans Brempong could possibly have to suit up for a game or 2
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3520 » by mojo13 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:16 pm

Overall I generally think this is a big improvement on the AmeriCup team and one that I think should be good enough to qualify if there is any sense of chemistry and decent coaching.
Of course this is the 24 man list - It will be interesting if any bigger names fall out for the 12 man roster.

Losing Nicholson hurts - but adding Bennett, both Scrubbs, and Ejim more than make up for it.

Khem Birch I now think was unavailable because he has an NBA contract and we now know (per Stein) Boucher (two-way contract) won't play when healthy either.

I think if Bennett can effectively play center in the G and has been our starting center in the PanAm games - he will be our starting C here. I think our Cs were Bennett and Bhullar at the PanAms?

Bhullar is a real wild card here and could provide some terrible mismatches for our opponents over short stretches. I hope he makes the final 12 and they figure out how to use him.

We had no depth up front at the AmeriCup but now with Trasolini and Klassen - two very under rated pros, we should be ok up front. Trasolini is probably a better player than Sacre right now if you ask me. Go look at their J-League stats.

I am very happy with the guards. I think Hanlan and XRM can be very effective here, but still worry about their youth and inconsistency. It seemed in the small sample size of the AmeriCup that one would have a great game and the other would disappear. Having Scrubb and Heslip there and much more depth upfront lessens the risk we'd face if they both had off games.

Kris Joseph is a big and surprising name, but I'd keep expectations low. He fills a weakness we have at SF (he might be our only true SF), but he has been a bit role player the last few years on average European teams. Good to see him back in the fold though and hopefully he surprises.

Still no real go-to scorers among the forwards, but allot of guys now that can do a little of everything. Maybe Bennett, Ejim, T. Scrubb, Pierre, Trasolini can all score by committee with the guards doing the heaving lifting.

Still allot of flak on the list that I hope we don't need to use (Kendall, Keane, Notice, Glaze, Ward, Friesen, Olashu, Best) but even then most of them can fill a roll in limited minutes.

Adika Peter-McNeilly is an interesting names and good to see here - he is having a great rookie season in Europe and is someone to watch. I don't know much about him.

My preferred 12 man line up:

Guards:
Phil Scrubb /XRM/ Hanlan / Heslip / Anderson

Forwards:
Ejim / T. Scrubb / Pierre / Joseph

Bigs:
Bennett / Bhullar / Trasolini

However I think Joel Anthony sneaks in there as a long term vet.

5 man starting line up? I'd go:
XRM
Hanlan
T. Scrubb
Ejim
Bennett

Hanlan and XRM both combo guards start at the 1/2 for consistency from the AmeriCup with Scrubb as the main guard off the bench. I'd heat check Heslip but limit his minutes drastically if he is not feeling it early.

I'd like T. Scrubb at the Olympic qualifiers in 2016. Do it all role player - solid defender. Hopefully there is some chemistry with Ejim from 2016 as well.

I like Pierre and Trasolini as the main forwards off the bench. And I'd like to see Bhullar get minutes - but I have no idea how they properly use him or even if he is remotely in shape.

I am fairly happy here considering the AmeriCup roster and knowing that AmeriCup was actually pretty decent (just had no prep time).

Return to Toronto Raptors