ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

slothrop8
Head Coach
And1: 7,278

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread 

Post#4681 » by slothrop8 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:25 pm

With the Dominican not bringing their NBA guys, Canada needs to be bloodthirsty this window. With the qualification structure being what it is and +/- potentially mattering, we need to deliver 2 absolutely ferocious beatings to DR and UVI on Canadian soil in these upcoming games. Like absolute lambastings - zero sportmanship shown - total destructions. It sucks the qualification structure incentivizes that kind of behaviour, but it does. We should be positioning ourselves to start the next phase at 5-1 with a differential of about +150. We should have NBA guys again in September, but then we likely won't the rest of the way, and we'll be playing better teams with our D roster the rest of the qualification windows - we need to build up a big margin for error while we have the chance.
TooBad
Starter
And1: 1,193

Post#4682 » by TooBad » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:55 pm

Does anyone have a sneaking suspicion that Canada isn't paying for some of these guys insurance? I remember awhile back Canada used to hold guys out of important games because their awful program couldn't afford to pay everyone's insurance.This just a theory but I wouldn't be surprised if some of these guys were paying for their own insurance out of their pocket. I expect you will see both Murray and Thompson and maybe even Wiggins (highly doubt) when the games matter because Canada will pay up then.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#4683 » by Hair Canada » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:31 pm

One interesting thing about this SM Canadian roster is that there are three players from BC in it (Olynyk and the two Scrubbs) and all three seem quite likely to be among the final 12. There was a time when BC was producing some top-level players (Nash, of course, is another one). I can't think of even one promising pro talent that I've seen come out of the province over the last few years. Not sure what happened, but it does seem like the well has pretty much dried up.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#4684 » by TheFutureMM » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:52 am

2 Canadians drafted tonight - both have been part of the program before. Canada Basketball should be thrilled.

11 - Shai to LAC
43 - Jackson to Denver Orlando
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#4685 » by SharoneWright » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:57 am

TheFutureMM wrote:2 Canadians drafted tonight - both have been part of the program before. Canada Basketball should be thrilled.

11 - Shai to LAC
43 - Jackson to Denver

Jackson to Orlando, of course.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#4686 » by TheFutureMM » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:03 am

SharoneWright wrote:
TheFutureMM wrote:2 Canadians drafted tonight - both have been part of the program before. Canada Basketball should be thrilled.

11 - Shai to LAC
43 - Jackson to Denver

Jackson to Orlando, of course.

Good catch! Thanks for the heads up.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,452

Post#4687 » by aminiaturebuddha » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:18 am

Kind of unfortunate that Jackson got traded to Orlando. I thought that Denver would have been a good fit for him, and not just because they already have two other Canadians. Denver could use a good young wing/PF defender, and Jackson could have grown into this kind of role and found a place as he develops his offensive game. I'm not totally sure that I understand his fit in Orlando where they already have Aaron Gordon and Jonathon Simmons.

On the flip side, I think SGA landed in a great spot with the Clippers. He should be able to back up Patrick Beverley on a team without much pressure, and be a big part of their rebuilding.
WellYouKnow
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#4688 » by WellYouKnow » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:08 pm

Anybody think there'll be a chance of a stream for tonight's game?

Not listed on DAZN so i doubt it, but maybe there coukd be a Chinese stream somewhere?
WellYouKnow
Sophomore

Post#4689 » by WellYouKnow » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:22 pm

Apparently Canada is gonna be hosting a free stream. Pretty pleasant surprise

Read on Twitter
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#4690 » by mojo13 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:39 pm

WellYouKnow wrote:Apparently Canada is gonna be hosting a free stream. Pretty pleasant surprise

Read on Twitter

Whaaaaaat?!?!

The madness....this seems so un-Canada Basketball.

Awesome news.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#4691 » by mojo13 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:00 am

Starters
P Scrubb
RJ Barrett
Brooks
Powell
Olynyk

All 15 dressed. First off the bench: Ejim, Heslip, Nembhard, Boucher, T Scrubb

CoJo and Birch not playing as prior announced.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#4692 » by mojo13 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:07 am

Q2 starters
P Scrubb
Barrett
Brooks
Bennett
Powell

Everyone looking fairly good so far considering. Sloppy but he talent disparity is obvious. Up 19 midway through the 2nd.

Not sure the talent China is missing. Jianlain Li is not playing who is their best player, but that wouldnt matter much.

Boucher first sub in and making a difference defensively. Very active and mobile, good rim protection, great rebounding, but so skinny he gets pushed around allot inside..

No Keane, Best, Hanlan, Nicholson on the floor in the fisrt half.

Lot of guys getting minutes. Quick rotations, KO not playing much, very exhibition feel.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#4693 » by hsb » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:21 am

Boucher with the block party!!!
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
mojo13
Veteran

Post#4694 » by mojo13 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:23 am

hsb wrote:Boucher with the block party!!!

hah ya... 5 blocks and counting for Boucher.

Hes Birch with a three ball.

52-31 Canada at the half.

Interesting to see Nembhard get all the back up PG minutes ahead of Keane, or Hanlan. Who knows what it means with this exhibition game. RJ getting allot of run too.

First half was basically.

PG: Scrubb/Nembhard
SG: RJ/Heslip
SF: Brooks/ T Scrubb
PF: Powell/Ejim/Bennett
C: some KO/Boucher/ some Powell

Again it certainly isn't crisp team play by any means (not that bad though considering the short time together), but just a huge talent disparity.
WellYouKnow
Sophomore

Post#4695 » by WellYouKnow » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:28 am

Nembhard looks pretty composed and like he belongs. With Keane being the only other full time PG behind Cory, I think theres a pretty good chance he sneaks on the the final roster.

I really hope RJ is going to be on the final roster. Having him at the 2 helps so much with our guard depth being a little weak.
hsb
RealGM

Post#4696 » by hsb » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:39 am

Team Canada jerseys looking clean. Need to get one.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
hsb
RealGM

Post#4697 » by hsb » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:41 am

Great two man game to get Olynyk the mismatch.
hsb
RealGM

Post#4698 » by hsb » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:09 am

Chinese coach and Bennett got ejected.
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,326

Post#4699 » by MaliBrah » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:11 am

commentator wants to be JVG so bad. Just breathe bro
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#4700 » by Dalek » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:06 am

Just came back from the Team Canada match. Well worth $20 I spent on tickets. That was so poorly marketed that not even half the Rogers Centre was full. Meanwhile, for a NBA preseason game in October the arena is sold out.

RJ Barrett is a special athlete. Great size and hops. Not on Wiggins level but pretty close. He has a lot of sloppy turnovers in transition, and took some iffy two point shots in the paint, but he reads the game well. He is going to draw a ton of fouls in the NBA. He just knows how to get into good spaces on the court. He looks like a star the way he carries himself. He had some nice tomahawk dunks in warm-ups.

Chris Boucher as others have mentioned was a dominating presence. I can see him as a third-string C for Toronto (easily could play a Bebe role). I really hope they get him signed quickly. Definitely a gamechanger with his shot-blocking. Also, very fluid three point shooter. Basically the same player he was in Oregon. Still, his body is so frail. One time he got fouled by a Chinese player I was afraid he wouldn't get up. He has the body of Thon Maker so I don't think he can rebound in the NBA, but he definitely is a quick twitch athlete who looked about 6-11.

Dillon Brooks really stood out with his shooting. What you would expect from him in a game like this.

Anthony Bennett threw some random down and got ejected. He looks heavier than he has ever been and he is even losing his hair in patches. I don't know, but I actually worry for his health. Poor kid needs to go to the Heat and get on the James Johnson diet.

Return to Toronto Raptors