ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WellYouKnow
Sophomore
And1: 114

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread 

Post#4701 » by WellYouKnow » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:31 am

mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#4702 » by mojo13 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:35 am

Dalek wrote:Just came back from the Team Canada match. Well worth $20 I spent on tickets. That was so poorly marketed that not even half the Rogers Centre was full. Meanwhile, for a NBA preseason game in October the arena is sold out.

RJ Barrett is a special athlete. Great size and hops. Not on Wiggins level but pretty close. He has a lot of sloppy turnovers in transition, and took some iffy two point shots in the paint, but he reads the game well. He is going to draw a ton of fouls in the NBA. He just knows how to get into good spaces on the court. He looks like a star the way he carries himself. He had some nice tomahawk dunks in warm-ups.

Chris Boucher as others have mentioned was a dominating presence. I can see him as a third-string C for Toronto (easily could play a Bebe role). I really hope they get him signed quickly. Definitely a gamechanger with his shot-blocking. Also, very fluid three point shooter. Basically the same player he was in Oregon. Still, his body is so frail. One time he got fouled by a Chinese player I was afraid he wouldn't get up. He has the body of Thon Maker so I don't think he can rebound in the NBA, but he definitely is a quick twitch athlete who looked about 6-11.

Dillon Brooks really stood out with his shooting. What you would expect from him in a game like this.

Anthony Bennett threw some random down and got ejected. He looks heavier than he has ever been and he is even losing his hair in patches. I don't know, but I actually worry for his health. Poor kid needs to go to the Heat and get on the James Johnson diet.

Wait...whats this about Boucher? I see he was just waived but Golden State...is TO interested in him?

I also noticed Khem Birch could be waived in the next couple days after the Magic drafted Mo Bamba. The Magic have until the 29th to waive him and then he becomes guaranteed. Wonder if that would impact his ability to play for Canada and why he isnt playing vs china.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#4703 » by Dalek » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:40 am

mojo13 wrote:
Dalek wrote:Just came back from the Team Canada match. Well worth $20 I spent on tickets. That was so poorly marketed that not even half the Rogers Centre was full. Meanwhile, for a NBA preseason game in October the arena is sold out.

RJ Barrett is a special athlete. Great size and hops. Not on Wiggins level but pretty close. He has a lot of sloppy turnovers in transition, and took some iffy two point shots in the paint, but he reads the game well. He is going to draw a ton of fouls in the NBA. He just knows how to get into good spaces on the court. He looks like a star the way he carries himself. He had some nice tomahawk dunks in warm-ups.

Chris Boucher as others have mentioned was a dominating presence. I can see him as a third-string C for Toronto (easily could play a Bebe role). I really hope they get him signed quickly. Definitely a gamechanger with his shot-blocking. Also, very fluid three point shooter. Basically the same player he was in Oregon. Still, his body is so frail. One time he got fouled by a Chinese player I was afraid he wouldn't get up. He has the body of Thon Maker so I don't think he can rebound in the NBA, but he definitely is a quick twitch athlete who looked about 6-11.

Dillon Brooks really stood out with his shooting. What you would expect from him in a game like this.

Anthony Bennett threw some random down and got ejected. He looks heavier than he has ever been and he is even losing his hair in patches. I don't know, but I actually worry for his health. Poor kid needs to go to the Heat and get on the James Johnson diet.

Wait...whats this about Boucher? I see he was just waived but Golden State...is TO interested in him?

I also noticed Khem Birch could be waived in the next couple days after the Magic drafted Mo Bamba. The Magic have until the 29th to waive him and then he becomes guaranteed. Wonder if that would impact his ability to play for Canada and why he isnt playing vs china.

It is more my dream to get Boucher than any real rumour. He is more than capable of making a team.

If Birch gets waived Toronto should be all over it. He is a very good defender.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#4704 » by mojo13 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:41 am

Also think you can infer Triano's rotation for the DR/BH games.

I think we mostly saw this tonight:

PG: Scrubb/Nembhard
SG: RJ/Heslip
SF: Brooks/ T Scrubb
PF: Powell/Ejim/Bennett (Nicholson after Bennett was ejected)
C: KO/Boucher/ Powell

We move CoJo into the starting PG and Scrubb to back up and Nembhard off the team.
My guess is Birch takes Boucher's spot and he is gone, despite the awesome game tonight and Birch is the back up C. Wonder if that means Nicholson gets cut over Bennett. It sure seems Nicholson is the better player.

PG: CoJo/Scrubb
PF: Powell/Ejim/Bennett (or Nicholson)
C: KO/Birch/ Powell

I like it - solid line up.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#4705 » by SharoneWright » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:45 am

Jay Triano needs Canada more than Canada needs him.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
raptors2019
Analyst
And1: 5,872

Post#4706 » by raptors2019 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:56 am

Didnt watch much but enjoyed what i saw from rj barrett
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#4707 » by frumble » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:19 pm

mojo13 wrote:Also think you can infer Triano's rotation for the DR/BH games.

We move CoJo into the starting PG and Scrubb to back up and Nembhard off the team.
My guess is Birch takes Boucher's spot and he is gone, despite the awesome game tonight and Birch is the back up C. Wonder if that means Nicholson gets cut over Bennett. It sure seems Nicholson is the better player.

Yes, that seems reasonable.

Still leaves a spot. IMHO they need a 5th guard more than another front-court player, so Hanlan, Keane, Best, or Nembhard for the last spot? Will be interesting to see if Hanlan gets to play in Victoria.

If contract issues prevent Birch from playing, do you take Bennett and Nicholson? Or does Boucher have a shot due to his shot-blocking?
WellYouKnow
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#4708 » by WellYouKnow » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:35 pm

I'm starting to think Nicholsons time has passed with the National Team. I'd take Boucher ahead of him because he can be a difference maker defensively while still being able to stretch the floor on offense.

Going off yesterday ( which might be dumb, since its an exhibition against poor comp) id have

Bigs - Olynyk, Powell, Ejim, Birch and Boucher. If Birch cant play im taking Bennett

Guards/Wings - CoJo, RJ, Brooks, Heslip, Scrubbx2 and Nembhard.

Still need to see if Best or Hanlan get any time and can impress. I didnt think Phil looked very good running or defending the 1 yesterday. Much more of a natural 2 imo.

I hope Hanlan gets a long look sunday
kwajo
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,227

Post#4709 » by kwajo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:56 pm

I love the youth on our team right now, makes me excited for the next few years of international play - but I want someone other than Triano at the helm moving forward.
”I’m just a man, standing in front of a Raptor, asking them to love me.”
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#4710 » by Alfred » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:22 pm

WellYouKnow wrote:Image

I hate how this doesn't tell you the points for each player. Am I supposed to do the math myself? I'm lazy.

Edit: Oh, TP is total points, I'm dumb.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#4711 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:53 pm

WellYouKnow wrote:I'm starting to think Nicholsons time has passed with the National Team. I'd take Boucher ahead of him because he can be a difference maker defensively while still being able to stretch the floor on offense.

Going off yesterday ( which might be dumb, since its an exhibition against poor comp) id have

Bigs - Olynyk, Powell, Ejim, Birch and Boucher. If Birch cant play im taking Bennett

Guards/Wings - CoJo, RJ, Brooks, Heslip, Scrubbx2 and Nembhard.

Still need to see if Best or Hanlan get any time and can impress. I didnt think Phil looked very good running or defending the 1 yesterday. Much more of a natural 2 imo.

I hope Hanlan gets a long look sunday

Scrubb isn't a point guard. Canada should realize that by now. He only plays shooting guard in Europe.
joel
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,438

Post#4712 » by joel » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:14 pm

are they selling jerseys at these events? i want one and it doesn't look like they're sold online
Alpha Mentality
Assistant Coach
And1: 14,102

Post#4713 » by Alpha Mentality » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:43 pm

Those new look Team Canada jerseys are real nice.
TooBad
Starter
And1: 1,193

Post#4714 » by TooBad » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:23 pm

mojo13 wrote:Also think you can infer Triano's rotation for the DR/BH games.

Bennett honestly played some of the best basketball of his career that game. 3/3 from deep and he was hustling on d. I know he got ejected but they had a huge lead and China was playing dirty on him(I would have been mad if it was close but it was a good time to send a message). I definitely have Bennett over Nicholson. NIcholson has the slowest feet I have ever seen which I believe is the reason he got kicked from the NBA. I actually prefer Boucher over Birch too(he has a unique skillset that no one on Canada can match).
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#4715 » by Hair Canada » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:38 pm

Basketball Canada announces the roster for the Canadian U17 World Championship, starting in 6 days in Argentina:

Keon Ambrose-Hylton
Keeshawn Barthelemy
Charles Bediako
Josh Hemmings
Caleb Houstan
Benjamin Krikke
Cashius McNeilly
Tre-Vaughn Minott
Matthew-Alexander Moncrieffe
Addison Patterson
Shemar Rathan-Mayes
Luka Sakota

I'll post a preview for the championship closer to the date, but in the meanwhile, I can say that I'm happy with this roster. Unlike last year, all the big guns are in.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,452

Post#4716 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:09 pm

That's a pretty stacked team for Canada for the U17. I'd even venture to say that it might be the deepest team we've ever fielded at that level, even if it doesn't have the same kind of top end talent that previous teams with guys like Barrett and Murray had. The only weakness (as usual) is a lack of really quality big men, which will inevitably show up against the US. But overall, it should be a fun team to watch.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#4717 » by Hair Canada » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:45 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:That's a pretty stacked team for Canada for the U17. I'd even venture to say that it might be the deepest team we've ever fielded at that level, even if it doesn't have the same kind of top end talent that previous teams with guys like Barrett and Murray had. The only weakness (as usual) is a lack of really quality big men, which will inevitably show up against the US. But overall, it should be a fun team to watch.

Yes, I agree this roster looks quite good and should be fun to watch. And yes, you are very right about the big men situation (more on that when I write my preview).

I do think though that the team we sent to the last championship (in 2016) was both stronger at the top and deeper. It included sure future NBA players (stars?) like Barrett and Simi. In addition, it had Nembhard, Brazdeikis, Akot, Djuricic, Kirkwood, Guerrier, Shephard and Bediako. Somehow, this super talented team managed to lose to Turkey in the quarterfinals and finished only fifth in the tournament. But they also crushed teams like Australia and a fairly strong France by 30 points and one year earlier gave a great fight to the US team in the finals of the U16 FIBA Americas.

Another Canadian team that was quite clearly better and deeper in this competition was the one that won the bronze in 2010. It included Wiggins, Bennett, Pangos, Hanlan, Duane Notice, and Dyshawn Pierre. I think we would be very happy if this current team manages to produce the same type of calibre players in eight years.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
TooBad
Starter
And1: 1,193

Post#4718 » by TooBad » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Dillon Brooks, Chris Boucher and Anthony Bennett randomly decide to be passengers in this guy car? Team Canada really is cheap haha.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#4719 » by frumble » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:29 pm

With Houstan (2003 born) making the U17 team, we have a player two years younger than the eligible cohort at the U17s for the first time since Jackson made the 2012 team (Wiggins was also two years underage for the 2010 team).
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,452

Post#4720 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:32 pm

Hair Canada wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:That's a pretty stacked team for Canada for the U17. I'd even venture to say that it might be the deepest team we've ever fielded at that level, even if it doesn't have the same kind of top end talent that previous teams with guys like Barrett and Murray had. The only weakness (as usual) is a lack of really quality big men, which will inevitably show up against the US. But overall, it should be a fun team to watch.

Yes, I agree this roster looks quite good and should be fun to watch. And yes, you are very right about the big men situation (more on that when I write my preview).

I do think though that the team we sent to the last championship (in 2016) was both stronger at the top and deeper. It included sure future NBA players (stars?) like Barrett and Simi. In addition, it had Nembhard, Brazdeikis, Akot, Djuricic, Kirkwood, Guerrier, Shephard and Bediako. Somehow, this super talented team managed to lose to Turkey in the quarterfinals and finished only fifth in the tournament. But they also crushed teams like Australia and a fairly strong France by 30 points and one year earlier gave a great fight to the US team in the finals of the U16 FIBA Americas.

Another Canadian team that was quite clearly better and deeper in this competition was the one that won the bronze in 2010. It included Wiggins, Bennett, Pangos, Hanlan, Duane Notice, and Dyshawn Pierre. I think we would be very happy if this current team manages to produce the same type of calibre players in eight years.

You're right, I had forgotten about how deep that 2016 team was. It really was a great team, and if not for getting pounded in the paint in that unfortunate loss against Turkey (and the coaching staff not being able to figure out how to prevent it), might have gone to the finals.

I think when all is said and done, this one might end up being as deep if not deeper than the 2010 team, but I guess time will tell. Those 6 that you mentioned were all high level NCAA players at one point, but I think this team could possibly have up to 7 high level NCAA players. I guess we'll see.

On a different note, with 2 Quebec players and one from Alberta, at least this team has more regional diversity than the U18 team! Although that's admittedly a pretty low bar.

Return to Toronto Raptors