ImageImageImageImageImage

Need help choosing an argumentative essay topic (Basketball Related)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

RyderMike
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,799

Re: Need help choosing an argumentative essay topic (Basketball Related) 

Post#41 » by RyderMike » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:14 pm

Axe Dragon wrote:Why is this thread back? Pretty sure the OP settled on a topic and finished his/her essay 3 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the first recent post is a spam account advertising essay writing. Probably a bot that searches for threads on an education topic, then autoposts its advertisement.

ib4l
Lukeem
Analyst
And1: 2,577

Post#42 » by Lukeem » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:33 pm

Treadmill_Team wrote:And there is no debate between MJ and Kobe. I could give you at least 5 players with a better case than Kobe.

Wilt has best case imo
Then
Lebron
Kareem
Russell

Not sure I’ve ever heard a great case for anyone else though. Those that push the Kobe argument are brutal from my experience
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,390

Post#43 » by Mikistan » Fri Aug 9, 2019 5:15 pm

konceptonthamic wrote:Hey guys,

So for a class of mine I gotta choose an argumentative essay topic. I definitely want to do something basketball related since I could talk for days about it. So far I got two topic ideas:

Does the "One and Done" rule that applies to basketball players who make the jump from college to the NBA need revisiting?
Now that both have retired, who was the better player? Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan?

If anyone has any other topic ideas let me know!

Thanks

Cheering for opposing team's player injuries do absolutely nothing to impact the product on the floor
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,694

Post#44 » by Clay Davis » Fri Aug 9, 2019 7:01 pm

Asterisks are stupid
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#45 » by agkagk » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:02 pm

ruckus wrote:
Axe Dragon wrote:Why is this thread back? Pretty sure the OP settled on a topic and finished his/her essay 3 years ago.

lol

Holy old topic Batman!

Van wilder needs to finally graduate.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#46 » by macNcheese3 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:13 pm

I’m not much help here, but man you are lucky you get to do an essay on ball!
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,838

Post#47 » by lobosloboslobos » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:34 pm

hmm. tough one. maybe you could scroll back through the last 10,000 threads and see if there are any arguments in them. ;)
Zebsterama
Rookie
And1: 547

Post#48 » by Zebsterama » Fri Aug 9, 2019 9:10 pm

Argument: Basketball, exhibition or competition? The bias of refereeing in the NBA.

You could discuss the role of super star "reputation" calls in the sport of basketball. Is it really "sports" when there are (arguably) different rules for different players?

The whole business of getting calls based on one's previous level of success/tenure in the league.

It's really not an issue in golf or tennis! :-)
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,489

Post#49 » by YelloC » Fri Aug 9, 2019 11:12 pm

Should college athletes get paid and how should the pay scale be structured. This could branch out into whether you think the same issues of pay inequality would exist in this system.
rbp246
Junior
And1: 200

Post#50 » by rbp246 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:01 am

Would the league be more exciting if there was a full player pool re-draft every year.

Contracts would be based on when the player was picked.

Ping pong balls would determine where teams will pick.

No more super teams..no more shady free agency side deals.

Every market has a chance to win every year.

Sent from my SM-G950W using RealGM mobile app
I'm not always thirsty...But when I am, I prefer Dos Equis.. Stay thirsty my friends.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,578

Post#51 » by mdenny » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:02 am

An idea that i've been kicking around in light of the recent jay trades:
Building a successful franchise is moreso a function of locking in longterm efficient contracts rather than talent acquisition.

Talent can always be bought at market value at any given time. It's the team friendly contracts that determine long term success. NOT the acquisition of talent.

The jay trades seem crazy on the surface so i went looking for any sense of what they are doing. Apparently the moves they've made ended up exchanging 8 aggregate years of control for 42. So they are looking at these trades as trades for control years instead of talent (which is why everyone thinks they are crazy).

2 team friendly, long term contracts for mid level talent players are preferable to 2 market value contracts for star players.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,854

Post#52 » by nikster » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:15 pm

RyderMike wrote:

Looks like the first recent post is a spam account advertising essay writing. Probably a bot that searches for threads on an education topic, then autoposts its advertisement.

ib4l

yea ive reported the one who bumped it for spam
mulamutti
Pro Prospect
And1: 775

Post#53 » by mulamutti » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:37 pm

should NCAA players get paid
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Post#54 » by team edward » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:07 am

mdenny wrote:An idea that i've been kicking around in light of the recent jay trades:
Building a successful franchise is moreso a function of locking in longterm efficient contracts rather than talent acquisition.

Talent can always be bought at market value at any given time. It's the team friendly contracts that determine long term success. NOT the acquisition of talent.

The jay trades seem crazy on the surface so i went looking for any sense of what they are doing. Apparently the moves they've made ended up exchanging 8 aggregate years of control for 42. So they are looking at these trades as trades for control years instead of talent (which is why everyone thinks they are crazy).

2 team friendly, long term contracts for mid level talent players are preferable to 2 market value contracts for star players.
this is only correct to a certain degree and to a differing degree in each sport.

In basketball acquiring talent is very very difficult. You can’t just acquire at any stage because top end talent matters so much more and there is hardly any top end talent.

Once you accept that only top talent really matters, then the key is being able to acquire it:
- draft position / skill / luck
- trade resources
- free agency

Efficient contracts are not necessarily useful as trade resources except I suppose for the Demar trade. Also as they are efficient they eat up cap space so now you can’t sign FA’s.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,646

Post#55 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:18 am

Zone vs Man to Man
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,578

Post#56 » by mdenny » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:04 am

team edward wrote:
mdenny wrote:An idea that i've been kicking around in light of the recent jay trades:

this is only correct to a certain degree and to a differing degree in each sport.

In basketball acquiring talent is very very difficult. You can’t just acquire at any stage because top end talent matters so much more and there is hardly any top end talent.

Once you accept that only top talent really matters, then the key is being able to acquire it:
- draft position / skill / luck
- trade resources
- free agency

Efficient contracts are not necessarily useful as trade resources except I suppose for the Demar trade. Also as they are efficient they eat up cap space so now you can’t sign FA’s.

Yah it's definitely more relevant to hockey and baseball where all star players are always available at market value bc of abundance of supply.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,179

Post#57 » by mowcrowbar » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:17 pm

The role the basketball emits a sound when it hits the net. Very interesting and argumentative stuff.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,603

Post#58 » by Ackshun » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Rich guy ownership is better than corporate/board ownership.

Mark Cuban, etc...
hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#59 » by hankscorpioLA » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Double Helix wrote:At what point would tanking become actively damaging to the league itself and how close are we to that point?

The game theory of the NBA is easy. Be as bad as you can be for as long as it takes until the ping pong balls bounce your way to allow for at least 3 superstars in the draft or the assets to acquire 3. Fans in Milwaukee crowdsourced a large billboard begging their ownership to lose as many games as possible just 2 years ago. Tanking is an act whereby a general manager of a sports team deliberately constructs a team to lose as many games as possible. The reasons are numerous. Nearly ever NBA superstar in history entered the draft at some point. The contracts are widely seen as the best bargains with the best retention options. The players can't choose where they want to go. They're forced to the teams that draft them to ensure that even lesser markers occasionally have some entertaining players. The draft is in many ways an initiation to the league itself.

So, in a zero sum game where there can only be one Champion why aren't there more teams trying to be bad? How many would be too many? And at what point would the league itself step in?

I honesty don't think you'll find a more interesting basketball debate topic overall than that. I could personally talk about it for days and am a big proponent for draft reform of some kind eventually. Not because of where tanking is but because of where I think it will go in the decades ahead.

Counter-point:

How many teams have successfully:

a) intentionally tanked for a top pick
b) acquired an elite player with said pick
c) won a championship with said player

I may be wrong, but I believe the only team to do this is the Spurs, and even in their case it's questionable whether they "intentionally" tanked for Duncan, since their record was due to injuries.
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#60 » by Young_Buc » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:10 pm

Lukeem wrote:
Treadmill_Team wrote:And there is no debate between MJ and Kobe. I could give you at least 5 players with a better case than Kobe.

Wilt has best case imo
Then
Lebron
Kareem
Russell

Not sure I’ve ever heard a great case for anyone else though. Those that push the Kobe argument are brutal from my experience

I'd add magic and bird along with (most likely) Shaq and Duncan to that list. The top 10-12 players ever are tiered.

Tier 1
Jordan

Tier 2
LeBron
Kareem

Tier 3
Wilt
Russell

Tier 4
Magic
Bird

Tier 5