ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors Select Paskal Siakam 27th

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Re: Raptors Select Paskal Siakam 27th 

Post#941 » by everdiso » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:01 pm

TdotRap4Lyfe wrote:
everdiso wrote:in general, with late 1sts and 2nds, you always want to see your GM gamble on the unknown with upside. I don't think it's every smart to rag on a pick like this, even if it turns into a Bruno.

on the flipside, i think fans have every right to criticize a GM that plays it safe with a lottery pick, and passes on upside in favor of polish or readiness.

We played it safe with Jakub, he is starting to look like a stud for the Spurs.

stud? that's a stretch.

I like poeltl but he's the perfect example of why you don't play it safe with a lotto pick - because even when they work out, like poeltl, they still end up only as good support players.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,547

Post#942 » by Psubs » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:15 pm

everdiso wrote:
TdotRap4Lyfe wrote:
everdiso wrote:in general, with late 1sts and 2nds, you always want to see your GM gamble on the unknown with upside. I don't think it's every smart to rag on a pick like this, even if it turns into a Bruno.

on the flipside, i think fans have every right to criticize a GM that plays it safe with a lottery pick, and passes on upside in favor of polish or readiness.

stud? that's a stretch.

I like poeltl but he's the perfect example of why you don't play it safe with a lotto pick - because even when they work out, like poeltl, they still end up only as good support players.

Like Araujo. :banghead:

Teams should draft BolBol with picks 5-10. He's the type of talent gamble like Porzingis with better shot-blocking.
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,020

Post#943 » by NotMyKawhi » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:01 pm

Psubs wrote:
everdiso wrote:
TdotRap4Lyfe wrote:We played it safe with Jakub, he is starting to look like a stud for the Spurs.

stud? that's a stretch.

Like Araujo. :banghead:

Teams should draft BolBol with picks 5-10. He's the type of talent gamble like Porzingis with better shot-blocking.

Thon Maker is pretty much the same thing and he didn't turn out that great

The draft was crap...Poeltl wasn't a bad pick. The only guys I would take that were drafted after him are Sabonis, Lavert, Pascal and maybe Prince
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,139

Post#944 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:18 pm

everdiso wrote:
TdotRap4Lyfe wrote:

stud? that's a stretch.

Purtle is going to be an excellent defensive big. That's extremely valuable.
SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,956

Post#945 » by SHFT » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:36 pm

everdiso wrote:
TdotRap4Lyfe wrote:

stud? that's a stretch.

Depends on where you are. Masai could have very well drafted him to have trade bait ready for a crazy trade. But yeah for the most part I agree with you. Same with 2nd rounders....go for the fences.

I hope they add a 3rd rd and 4th rd for the farm teams soon and extend the type of contracts teams can offer. Increase the cap and let teams choose if they will spend money on FA or development or a bit of both. That would restore some parity.

Sent from my LG-H915 using RealGM mobile app
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Re: Raptors Select Paskal Siakiam 27th 

Post#946 » by Novocaine » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:34 pm

NiL8r87 wrote:
Novocaine wrote:I love this pick for you guys. Top-10 talent in this draft, IMO. Great motor, great athlete, untapped potential offensively. He was uber dominant even if played against low level comp. But he'd raise his game against the best teams in the schedule, fwiw.

Can defend 3 or 4 positions in the NBA, I think. He's like Mbah-a-Moute before the injuries but with a softer touch, better hands, and more explosive.

I think he has Ibaka potential.

This dude’s a genius.

Thanks for saying it, not to be a conspiracy theorist or anything but not sure what's up with the world not celebrating me more often :nonono:

vjkid wrote:
Claps. Bravo to you for getting this one bang on (maybe not quite Ibaka). I don’t even know who the Davis most people were complaining about us not taking.

Hero_Panda wrote:Okay, this guy really is a prophet.

Novocaine wrote:
Forget about analytics.

Siakam's best asset, his defensive potential, isn't even capture by analytics. Great motor, great twitch, really moves well laterally, gets low. Very fast from end to end. Quick leaving the floor and fights for every rebound. Sets good screens and sprints to them. Budding offensive game. His mechanics are inconsistent and his shot is flat. But I've seen him play 2 years ago, and every time I saw him again he was a little better. He hasn't stopped improving since he set foot in the US and got some decent coaching. Don't think he'll stop improving now that he'll get really good coaching. At worst, he'll be a nice energy big to play off the bench that will outwork everyone on court. At best, a high-impact role-player. I think he'll get there.

Hero_Panda wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:Someone in the GB said this:

I love this pick for Toronto. I had Siakam as the most underrated player in the draft.

Steal of the draft IMO. Top-15 talent. Maybe top-10 in this draft. Draymond Green like defense and promising offensive game for someone who's basically had 2 years of serious coaching.

This was back on page 3.
@Kabookalu, who is this GB prophet you speak of?

Also on page 3 (maybe this is said prophet?):

Yeah, that was me too.

I saw Siakam playing for his prep school in Texas and was impressed by his energy and demeanor in spite of his lack of basic skills. Then every time I saw him playing for New Mexico he looked improved - significantly. Every month he was notably better. That sort of rate of improvement rarely comes to an abrupt end.

Siakam is obviously better than I predicted, especially as a playmaker/shot-creator. Although I think Nurse has been overutilizing him on offense, at least during the reg season. Don't like him as an offensive anchor for 4 guys to play off him, not worth the trade-off.

Still believe OG Anunoby is the guy who has All-NBA potential. Running out of time, hopefully next season he's injury free and gets a consistent playing role. Needs to move or hope Kawhi moves.
TPVx
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#947 » by TPVx » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:18 pm

At the time, I thought he was a terrible pick, with more heralded players like Skal Labissierre and Deyonta Davis available. Still thought that after seeing how his first season played out.

So much credit goes to the Raptors for developing him, but even more for Siakam for putting in the work to become what he is today.
CoachRay
Junior
And1: 396

Post#948 » by CoachRay » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:32 pm

refshateRaps wrote:Davis & Skal were available at 27 & we did this? Masai is stubborn AF

Exactly why your a fan. And he’s a GM. Sit down and shut up. Just cheer.
CoachRay
Junior

Post#949 » by CoachRay » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:32 pm

Caboclo wrote:Davis
Skal

BOTH ON THE BOARD!!

Passing twice on high-upside plays like Labissiere and Davis is disgusting

When a potential top-10 talent slides, you make the damn pick and worry about the rest later

Even the GODDAMN KINGS had the sense to pick up SKAL with the very next pick (28)...even tho he didn't work out for them either!

:banghead: :banghead:

LOL.
CoachRay
Junior

Post#950 » by CoachRay » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:33 pm

Throwback24 wrote:I don't get it, I truly don't. If you're going to go with a big why him?

It’s not your job. They scout for years. You sit at home and type behind a keyboard.
HEKTOR
Veteran
And1: 1,323

Post#951 » by HEKTOR » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:43 pm

CoachRay wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:I don't get it, I truly don't. If you're going to go with a big why him?

It’s not your job. They scout for years. You sit at home and type behind a keyboard.

Exactly.
I know a guy who was slamming the picks by Masai that year and claimed to know more himself. The problem is, the guy's not an athlete - and doesn't really have the eye for such things, regardless of his passion. Here's what he said:

"You do know I spent years scouting basketball, right? I don't think you realize how sickeningly obsessed I am with ball and how deep into it I am. Don't worry man, I feel for the plight of Raptors fans. My heart bleeds for mismanaged teams.
I would pick Sabonis at 9 and Malcolm Brogdon at 27 despite his current injury. Dejounte Murray will be a huge steal but Raps already have 2 pgs so maybe that would be a wasted pick.
Bookmark this, screenshot it, remember it. Let's compare Sabonis-Poeltl and Brogdon/Murray to this no name guy (Siakam) at 27, or even Labissiere or Davis any time you like."

For the record, I also had Sabonis at 9 and was simply saying while I didn't know who Siakam was at the time that I had faith in Masai and trusted that he knows what he's doing - especially much more so than a fan.

Also, JB, if you're on this forum, come at me bruh!
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#952 » by howlin mad axer » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:19 pm

How do you all think this Siakam will fair when compared to that centre the Raptors drafted in the lottery, Poelt i think his name is?
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,431

Post#953 » by Morse Code » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:58 pm

Damn, reading this thread reminds me how many people have come and gone. RIP to all the great posters we've lost, and the bad ones as well.
RIP Kobe
Analyst
And1: 4,505

Post#954 » by RIP Kobe » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:29 pm

The only thing this thread proves is that majority of ppl typing away online truly don’t know anything. If they did, they would be getting paid for it.
ImaBeatDatAzz
Analyst
And1: 4,097

Post#955 » by ImaBeatDatAzz » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:51 am

so, SO satisfying to see people hate on this draft back in the day. MIP
114-110... "Curry lets it fly...CANADA THE NBA TITLE IS YOURS."
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,003

Post#956 » by raptor jesus » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:59 am

raptor jesus wrote:The more I look into this guy, the more I like it. Great numbers, measurements, apparently has a non-stop motor.

I always knew he was special!

My favourite draft tidbit was Chad Ford saying it was between Poeltl and Skal at #9. But then we passed on Skal again at #27 for Pascal lol.
yodamaster
Veteran
And1: 2,629

Post#957 » by yodamaster » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:25 am

Novocaine wrote:
Thanks for saying it, not to be a conspiracy theorist or anything but not sure what's up with the world not celebrating me more often :nonono:

is that you Masai? :lol: :lol:
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,864

Post#958 » by deeps6x » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:32 am

I'm sure it's been said, but efF yoU Tony Brothers. Karma b*tch.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
BDDray420
Senior
And1: 771

Post#959 » by BDDray420 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:38 am

raptor jesus wrote:
raptor jesus wrote:The more I look into this guy, the more I like it. Great numbers, measurements, apparently has a non-stop motor.

I always knew he was special!

My favourite draft tidbit was Chad Ford saying it was between Poeltl and Skal at #9. But then we passed on Skal again at #27 for Pascal lol.

This board had a hard on for Skal even though bust was written all over him. Glad raps FO are a lot better at scouting than the fans on here
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,864

Post#960 » by deeps6x » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:41 am

Who was that ESPN douche who interviewed Pascal after the game. Saying it's been ten seasons since a Raptor scored 30 points in a playoff game.

How many hours has it been since Kawhi did it in Game 2?
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia

Return to Toronto Raptors