ImageImageImageImageImage

Arguments that dwayne casey is right for us

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,867

Re: Arguments that dwayne casey is right for us 

Post#21 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:02 pm

His boulder in the hallways of the ACC makes for a nice decorative artifact.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#22 » by Kabookalu » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Cassy gets his teams to fight hard for him. This is easily the toughest team in Raptors history. We've won a lot more games than we should have because of this. The contrast with him and Triano in this department is night and day. I'm afraid that if we let Casey go, it'll be a Brown Saunders difference.

I hate bringing up the 04 Pistons, but those Pistons teams were known to be tough and gritty. However a lot of people thought they needed to upgrade to a coach that can improve their offense (though that's not the reason why they let him go). They hired Saunders who improved their offense, while their defense was still good. Though in the playoffs, their lauded toughness disappeared, and they couldn't clutch out crucial wins anymore as a result, and failed to make the finals whereas Brown got them there 2 years in a row.

Much different situations, those Pistons teams were not only tough, but significantly better than us defensively. We're a better offensive team. Still though I think the point stands.
Read on Twitter
tdot56
Analyst
And1: 3,080

Post#23 » by tdot56 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:16 pm

:wink:
VC720 wrote:We're 7th in dtrg since ibaka and tucker got here. I guess he is a better defensive coach with the right people around him. Still want him fired however.

Lol..... "he's amazing.. and this.. and that"...but let's fire the bugger!! ... after raps get swept in round one... he will...
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,748

Post#24 » by DG88 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:22 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Courtside wrote:Of course we want to stay with out captor - he treats us so well. Look at all this catfood we get to eat while locked in this cage! You don't know what the next guy will do, he might only feed us birdseed!

:lol: Stockholm really is lovely this time of year.

Anyway, IF Lowry comes back strong this season, all arguments will be settled by the end of the playoff run.

But surely, a good offensively-minded assistant coach could encourage more ball movement (and with it, more off the ball movement). It really is embarrassing to be looking to score ALL our points off of isos or in transition. Chris Webber is looking smarter and smarter (and maybe better and better as a potential coach) the longer KL is out.

Actually they've added more motion plays since Kyle went down, so that the ball isn't always focused on DeMar.
alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,157

Post#25 » by alienchild » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:25 pm

beeshake wrote:
alienchild wrote:He's as good a coach as Phil Jackson is a GM.

Essentially the fans on RealGM hate him, but hes actually doing a decent job with what he has

Mark Jackson did a decent job with the Warriors with what he had. The players were not in favour of him being fired.

A decent job doesn't win rings.
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,303

Post#26 » by ruckus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:33 pm

alienchild wrote:
beeshake wrote:

Essentially the fans on RealGM hate him, but hes actually doing a decent job with what he has

Mark Jackson did a decent job with the Warriors with what he had. The players were not in favour of him being fired.

I'm not singling you out but, a lot of people point to the Jackson/Kerr transition as an example of a coaching change gone right. What is it that Kerr did though? It wasn't the defensive mindset - Kerr credited Jackson for instilling it in the players on a recent podcast. It wasn't that pretty elevators play. That was during Jackson's time too.

I'm not saying that changing the coach didn't have an effect but, how much of it was the coaching change and how much of it was the natural progression of Curry, Green and Thompson?
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,374

Post#27 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:48 pm

I think Caseys ability to develop players is highly underrated. Everyone (or almost everyone) on this team has improved since he has coached them.

Lowry - for sure
Joseph - I would say he is better now than he was in SA
Wright - tough to say, I do like his development though
CanVleet - undraftes FA bringing good Mins

Demar - definite improvement
Powell - definitely, great for a 2nd rounder

Carroll - hurt, tough to judge
Tucker - new
Bruno - tough to judge

Ibaka - new
Patterson - better today than he was in SAC
Siakam - gave solid mins as a late 1st, too early to say

Val - as much as people harp about JV he is better than he used to be, only so much a slow C can do
Bebe - people wrote him off last year, showed a lot
Poeltl - new, we will see how he looks next year

I have high hopes for one of Bebe/Poeltl becoming a solid starter, high quality backup. Siakam should develop into a bench big. Wright/FVV have the potential to unseat Cory.

A lot of our development has to be credited to the HC
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,197

Post#28 » by gerrit4 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:56 pm

I think there are some really valid arguments against Casey. But at the same time, when you look at our roster and the success over the last four seasons, I'm not sure what coaches could have brought better results.

I'm pretty sure that if last year we had Red Auerbach, with Pop, Jackson, and John Wooden as his assistants, we wouldn't have done better than 56 wins and Game 6 of the ECF. I'm sure it would have been a prettier path, but I can't see the results being any better.
GooniesNeverDie
RealGM
And1: 11,188

Post#29 » by GooniesNeverDie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:01 pm

he's a decent coach but I won't get over the the following:

1) Playing Jose over Kyle
2) Bargnani hell or high water comment
3) This is the most significant one - in game 7 vs the Nets, on our final possession, he DREW UP THE PLAY ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE COURT. - inexcusable
GooniesNeverDie
RealGM

Post#30 » by GooniesNeverDie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:04 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:I think Caseys ability to develop players is highly underrated. Everyone (or almost everyone) on this team has improved since he has coached them.

Lowry - for sure

Tucker - new
Bruno - tough to judge

Ibaka - new

Val - as much as people harp about JV he is better than he used to be, only so much a slow C can do

I have high hopes for one of Bebe/Poeltl becoming a solid starter, high quality backup. Siakam should develop into a bench big. Wright/FVV have the potential to unseat Cory.

sorry but Kyle was always talented and capable.. he was treated as the third option when Casey had Bargnani & Gay when in reality he was always our best player. it wasn't until their trades that Casey was pretty much forced to give Kyle more responsibility that he started to shine. I give very little credit to Casey for Kyle's emergence
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,081

Post#31 » by Duffman100 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:12 pm

Players seem to respect him and play hard for him.
No locker room issues.
We win a lot in the regular season
Demar, Lowry, Powell have all done well underneath him.

Really, is there a better coach available? I don't know...
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,253

Post#32 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:18 pm

alienchild wrote:
beeshake wrote:

Mark Jackson is a... well.... nut.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#33 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:22 pm

GooniesNeverDie wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I think Caseys ability to develop players is highly underrated. Everyone (or almost everyone) on this team has improved since he has coached them.

Lowry - for sure

Tucker - new
Bruno - tough to judge

Ibaka - new

sorry but Kyle was always talented and capable.. he was treated as the third option when Casey had Bargnani & Gay when in reality he was always our best player. it wasn't until their trades that Casey was pretty much forced to give Kyle more responsibility that he started to shine. I give very little credit to Casey for Kyle's emergence

I don't seem to recall Kyle ever putting up nearly the numbers he did here before getting here...? Hell even when he got here in his first year he never even really separated himself from Jose **** Calderon. He put up pretty meh numbers in his first season here. He completely transformed himself as a player and person under Casey and it should be Casey who receives some credit for that.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#34 » by RaptorsLife » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:27 pm

People us bring up mark jackson and think we have stars on this roster to reach the championship if hire a Steve Kerr type coach
It's not true

This is closer to Lionel holliens in Memphis. They got a younger coach and never reaches the conference finals again. We have good players not great players
Raptors til death
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#35 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:28 pm

GooniesNeverDie wrote:he's a decent coach but I won't get over the the following:

3) This is the most significant one - in game 7 vs the Nets, on our final possession, he DREW UP THE PLAY ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE COURT. - inexcusable

Kyle averaged more MPG than Jose that year and has played a lot of minutes before he got hurt not once, but twice.

Bargnani hell or high water comment is an example of why he is a successful coach. In times like Bargnani he sounds like an idiot but it works with a team we have right now. He's a guy his players love and no good coach goes out and says "yeah our main option is **** awful. Our GM hasn't helped me at all and we have no chance". He said the same general things with Lowry and Demar, and they turned out alright for us no?

That play was bad. But we're gonna fire a guy over 1 play? Not to mention not one assistant or player mentioned anything about it either? For all we know the red might have incorrectly told him where the inbound was going to be. Maybe thenplayers lined up incorrectly? Simply, we don't know.
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#36 » by bon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:43 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
GooniesNeverDie wrote:

I don't seem to recall Kyle ever putting up nearly the numbers he did here before getting here...? Hell even when he got here in his first year he never even really separated himself from Jose **** Calderon. He put up pretty meh numbers in his first season here. He completely transformed himself as a player and person under Casey and it should be Casey who receives some credit for that.

I'm not going to say that Casey deserves NO credit for Lowry's emergence however he was really good in Houston also. +7.1 on/off as the starting PG while averaging 16 and 7 per 36 with a 19 PER and 56 TS% his final year. All of those numbers (besides assists) dropped in his first season with Casey restricting him (his usage % dropped as well). It wasn't until after Casey couldn't force-feed Gay anymore that Lowry reigned in the offense and looked like a great player again.
GooniesNeverDie
RealGM

Post#37 » by GooniesNeverDie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:46 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
GooniesNeverDie wrote:

Lowry - for sure

Tucker - new
Bruno - tough to judge

Ibaka - new

Before his injury in Houston, he was playing at a very high level. Are you suggesting that somehow within a week of Gay getting traded that Casey somehow developed Kyle? He was always capable but Casey never gave him the opportunity until he pretty much had to.
GooniesNeverDie
RealGM

Post#38 » by GooniesNeverDie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:59 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
GooniesNeverDie wrote:he's a decent coach but I won't get over the the following:

Kyle averaged more MPG than Jose that year and has played a lot of minutes before he got hurt not once, but twice.

Bargnani hell or high water comment is an example of why he is a successful coach. In times like Bargnani he sounds like an idiot but it works with a team we have right now. He's a guy his players love and no good coach goes out and says "yeah our main option is **** awful. Our GM hasn't helped me at all and we have no chance". He said the same general things with Lowry and Demar, and they turned out alright for us no?

That play was bad. But we're gonna fire a guy over 1 play? Not to mention not one assistant or player mentioned anything about it either? For all we know the red might have incorrectly told him where the inbound was going to be. Maybe thenplayers lined up incorrectly? Simply, we don't know.

He averaged .1 more minutes in his first season.. the fact that Jose was playing nearly 30 minutes with Kyle on the team pretty much proves my point.

The problem isn't that he was supporting his players.. the problem was that he was enabling Bargnani to have that sort of usage. He treated Bargnani as if he was our best player when in reality he was trash. He's doing the same thing with Carroll and Norm now (not at the same level, but DMC shouldn't be playing more minutes than Norm).

I never said fire him.. but you can downplay that all you want. But that was the biggest moment of the season and for the franchise in a really long time. I would expect my head coach to be on top of his game especially under pressure. We also had trouble in the ECF guarding that one play with Lebron at the elbow I believe. I don't remember exactly, but they scored on that play many times in a row. The fact that Casey couldn't find an adjustment or counter to it once again shows his inability to work or adjust under pressure.
spicy4MVP
Sixth Man
And1: 1,963

Post#39 » by spicy4MVP » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:00 pm

Lowry - for sure

Tucker - new
Bruno - tough to judge

Ibaka - new

We can all agree he's phenomenal at developing backcourt players. In fact I see Vanvleet, Wright, and Powell really develop to their fullest potential that they have in them under casey. I cannot say the same about C's though. He's rotting JV, never has trust in him. Poeltl won't develop under Casey because he's just not his style guy and I see him playing Bebe for his blocks despite his flawed offense and passive play/rebounding and casey's defensive minded approach over a much more offensively gifted young man. If you think otherwise, please let me know why.
Concernedcad
Starter
And1: 5,894

Post#40 » by Concernedcad » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:31 pm

ruckus wrote:
alienchild wrote:
beeshake wrote:

I'm not singling you out but, a lot of people point to the Jackson/Kerr transition as an example of a coaching change gone right. What is it that Kerr did though? It wasn't the defensive mindset - Kerr credited Jackson for instilling it in the players on a recent podcast. It wasn't that pretty elevators play. That was during Jackson's time too.

I'm not saying that changing the coach didn't have an effect but, how much of it was the coaching change and how much of it was the natural progression of Curry, Green and Thompson?

Kerr didn't even want to start Draymond. David Lee got injured and he was forced to start him.

Return to Toronto Raptors