ImageImageImageImageImage

The Ringer: Raptors should consider blowing it up

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Ipsofact0
Senior
And1: 529

Re: The Ringer: Raptors should consider blowing it up 

Post#101 » by Ipsofact0 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:12 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
Risk101 wrote:This article should have been made after the playoffs. He now will go back and scream about how right he was if we don't make it to the eastern conference finals.

I love how he said the last 3 years have ended in playoff disappointment

ECF last year isn't a disappointment unless you assumed you could beat the Cleveland Lebrons

It was a disappointment to me cuz the series wasn't close. I'd rather lose in 4 by 10 points per game then have the performance we had. By a fair bit actually. But that's just me, and probably not a lot of other people would agree.

how on earth is a 4-2 series not close?

the amount of points we win or lose by means NOTHING a W is a W and a L is a L

people looking for **** to be disappointed over..im assuming you thought we would beat the cavs? lmfao
fouronesix22
Veteran
And1: 3,548

Post#102 » by fouronesix22 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:37 pm

This is worth the read unlike that sportsnet loser lol. He makes good points, depending on how the playoffs go I would welcome the idea if masai can make the raptors competitive and not go full rebuild (ie, sign and trade) Lowry has had injury issues and at crucial times every year, one would imagine that gets worse as he gets older so a 200m contract doesnt make sense.

Demar is good with that midrange and iso ball but we know that doesnt work in the playoffs. If he can develop the 3 point shot over the summer that can really change things. Also his style of play makes the offense stagnant so everybody isnt engaged as much as they should be. These were my thoughts before the season started and I think it will stand unless these group of guys prove me wrong. Lets go raps!!!
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,640

Post#103 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:37 pm

The ringer should hire adults instead.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,272

Post#104 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:46 pm

What the hell is "the Ringer"? Probably some kid blogging from his basement.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#105 » by Pooh_Jeter » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:50 pm

The reaction by a lot of you on here is FAR worse than the article (which is actually a solid, nuanced take on our situation).

The main takeaway from the piece is that this off-season is going to be gigantic crossroads for the franchise. He doesn't strongly advocate any direction and instead provides and expands on the possibilities. A full rebuild is one of the potential scenarios he discusses. The title of the article is often chosen by the editor, not the actual author. It was clearly chosen to generate interest/clicks.

You all should do better and actually read the article before you dismiss it and slander the author and the entire site as a whole.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#106 » by RaptorsNorth » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:02 pm

Who or what the f... is the ringer ? and why should we care ? Anybody ? Didn't think so.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
RaptorNews
RealGM
And1: 23,156

Post#107 » by RaptorNews » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:16 pm

Assuming Lowry and Demar maintain their level of play from this season and we only end up losing one or two supporting guys (say two of Carroll, Cojo, JV, Patterson), I think we have a good shot of making the Finals once in the next three years

Unfortunately, as the article mentions re: Masais comments, the Warriors have really changed what it means to be a contender. If Lebron is finally declining two years, there might not be a true contender in the East unless the Warriors get injured
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,558

Post#108 » by dc » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:18 pm

Ipsofact0 wrote:how on earth is a 4-2 series not close?

If you don't have HCA and you don't come close to winning a game on the road, then you were never close to winning the series. Same thing with the Hawks-Celts in 2008. The Hawks won 3 games in that series, but they never came close to winning a game in Boston.

Win a game in Cleveland (or at least come close to doing that) and then you can start talking about having a close series. The Cavs were never in any real danger of losing to the Raptors last year.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
RoseBeforeHoes
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,479

Post#109 » by RoseBeforeHoes » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:27 pm

It was a good read, the way I see it the main take away from the article is the age old NBA question. Would you rather your team be horrible for 10 years then win a chip, or be a consistently good team that never wins it all.

For me, the answer is fairly easy. I know the Raps aren't winning a chip this year but I'm enjoying watching Raptors basketball each and every night. That's what matters to me, it's 3 hours of my day I can forget about my personal problems, relax, and just enjoy my favorite team playing good basketball. I remember the old Raptors, I'm not trading these Raptors for anything.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,703

Post#110 » by Yallbecrazy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:40 pm

nabbs wrote:Whether you agree with him or not, O'Conner is a good writer. The article is well-written and well-supported. Many on hear have considered the notion of blowing it up if Kyle walks because this team is an elite treadmill team with an ageing Ibaka, Plateauing Demar and no real PG (assuming Kyle walks)

Good writers are still capable of having off days and producing trash. An elite treadmill team that is a perennial contender and possibly winning championships or even multiple is a good enough treadmill for me. Sure they might not go 82-0 like your nba2k team in GM mode, but not everyone can be as good as you as a GM. Also, Ibaka is younger than Demar
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,703

Post#111 » by Yallbecrazy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:42 pm

RoseBeforeHoes wrote:It was a good read, the way I see it the main take away from the article is the age old NBA question. Would you rather your team be horrible for 10 years then win a chip, or be a consistently good team that never wins it all.

For me, the answer is fairly easy. I know the Raps aren't winning a chip this year but I'm enjoying watching Raptors basketball each and every night. That's what matters to me, it's 3 hours of my day I can forget about my personal problems, relax, and just enjoy my favorite team playing good basketball. I remember the old Raptors, I'm not trading these Raptors for anything.

How can you say that as a Raptors fan? They are playing like a top 10 team and they will be welcoming back a top 10 player just in time for the playoffs, how is that not a team capable of winning a championship?
Peja Stojakovic
Starter
And1: 2,939

Post#112 » by Peja Stojakovic » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:08 pm

if masai sees a can't-miss superstar in the draft of course he should still consolidate assets and trade up, even at the expense of breaking up a lowry/demar/jv/ibaka core. the problem is you look really stupid if the can't-miss superstar misses or even gets hurt. as a fan of good ball and the development of basketball culture in toronto i'm quite happy with a team that has a fourth place ceiling
EJaggit
Starter
And1: 2,328

Post#113 » by EJaggit » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:24 pm

Peja Stojakovic wrote:if masai sees a can't-miss superstar in the draft of course he should still consolidate assets and trade up, even at the expense of breaking up a lowry/demar/jv/ibaka core. the problem is you look really stupid if the can't-miss superstar misses or even gets hurt. as a fan of good ball and the development of basketball culture in toronto i'm quite happy with a team that has a fourth place ceiling

At the end of the day- we shouldn't be satisfied with 4th. If we don't win what's the point in all of this?
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#114 » by jimmy keys » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:24 pm

joel wrote:lol at ever reading the ringer

Weren't a fan of Grantland I take it.
Peja Stojakovic
Starter
And1: 2,939

Post#115 » by Peja Stojakovic » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:34 pm

EJaggit wrote:
Peja Stojakovic wrote:if masai sees a can't-miss superstar in the draft of course he should still consolidate assets and trade up, even at the expense of breaking up a lowry/demar/jv/ibaka core. the problem is you look really stupid if the can't-miss superstar misses or even gets hurt. as a fan of good ball and the development of basketball culture in toronto i'm quite happy with a team that has a fourth place ceiling

At the end of the day- we shouldn't be satisfied with 4th. If we don't win what's the point in all of this?

do you remember how much day to day agony is involved in rooting for a 30 win team to win or lose?
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,540

Post#116 » by DG88 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:38 pm

Nah rather be a tax team
EJaggit
Starter
And1: 2,328

Post#117 » by EJaggit » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:37 am

Peja Stojakovic wrote:
EJaggit wrote:

do you remember how much day to day agony is involved in rooting for a 30 win team to win or lose?

You're right. But man, those days were fun because we saw the process develop. I'm not saying that I'm ungrateful, I'm just saying that we should expect a championship especially since we're contending with the leagues top competition!
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,154

Post#118 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:39 am

dc wrote:
Ipsofact0 wrote:how on earth is a 4-2 series not close?

If you don't have HCA and you don't come close to winning a game on the road, then you were never close to winning the series. Same thing with the Hawks-Celts in 2008. The Hawks won 3 games in that series, but they never came close to winning a game in Boston.

Win a game in Cleveland (or at least come close to doing that) and then you can start talking about having a close series. The Cavs were never in any real danger of losing to the Raptors last year.

this. the series was never close. sure, it was 2-2 but Cleveland convincingly won game 5 and game 6.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#119 » by Wo1verine » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:56 am

Great piece definitely recommended. Idiots like Smith, Grange, Lewenberg could learn a thing or 2 from the Ringer!
BrunoSkull
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#120 » by Wo1verine » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:59 am

DG88 wrote:Nah rather be a tax team

We'll never be a tax team until proven otherwise.

BrunoSkull

Return to Toronto Raptors