ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 Trades & FA Ideas Thread (CBA Guide pg.1) V3.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Re: 2017 Off-Season Trades/FA Ideas Thread (with CBA Guide on Pg 1) V3.0 

Post#1661 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Oct 6, 2017 6:21 pm

We have 124 committed next year. Are we moving Val and looking for a prospect on a rookie deal, or are we going for it? We need one more impact player somehow.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#1662 » by CoachJReturns » Fri Oct 6, 2017 7:44 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:We have 124 committed next year. Are we moving Val and looking for a prospect on a rookie deal, or are we going for it? We need one more impact player somehow.

I think the really interesting scenario would be if JV got traded and the team was significantly worse without him. We give him a hard time for his defense(deservedly so), but he's been our best rebounder and most efficient scorer for years. Right now he is possibly the only good rebounder on the team unless Poeltl takes a drastic leap in his second year, which might be asking too much of him.
This team needs someone to grab the boards, especially with all the 3 point chucking they've switched to. Jonas has been a big part of this team's success and if he's dealt for a prospect it could get really ugly really fast.
WeDaN0rth
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#1663 » by WeDaN0rth » Fri Oct 6, 2017 8:10 pm

With Powell locked up long term I'd look to trade Derozan for depth to maximize powell's contract. If Powell were to take Derozan's role we wouldn't be as good, but Powell's value would increase drastically. I feel if he can average close to 20 points making 10 million per that becomes one of the best contracts in the NBA.

If Denver can't come to a deal with Garry Harris would you do Derozan for Garry Harris, Faraid and Chandler? Faraid would be a good pairing with Ibaka imo Garry Harris and Powell would be a good combo at SG and Chandler gives us SF/PF depth.

It could turn out to be a Rudy Gay type trade where you think we'll get worse but actually will get better. I feel our defence would get better for sure.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Post#1664 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Oct 6, 2017 10:01 pm

WeDaN0rth wrote:With Powell locked up long term I'd look to trade Derozan for depth to maximize powell's contract. If Powell were to take Derozan's role we wouldn't be as good, but Powell's value would increase drastically. I feel if he can average close to 20 points making 10 million per that becomes one of the best contracts in the NBA.

If Denver can't come to a deal with Garry Harris would you do Derozan for Garry Harris, Faraid and Chandler? Faraid would be a good pairing with Ibaka imo Garry Harris and Powell would be a good combo at SG and Chandler gives us SF/PF depth.

It could turn out to be a Rudy Gay type trade where you think we'll get worse but actually will get better. I feel our defence would get better for sure.

You would move Demar before Lowry? Ino Lowry may be better but Demar is younger and fits better with Harris age wise

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#1665 » by Dalek » Sat Oct 7, 2017 7:07 pm

Dante Exum's injury leaves a big PG hole for Utah. I could see some serious interest in Delon Wright considering he played in Utah for college and would likely fit in well in their system.

Toronto looks to deal to shed the JV contract while getting a future asset.

Toronto out
JV
Delon Wright

Toronto in
Derrick Favors (expiring)
Dante Exum (expiring)
Utah 2018 first round pick

Favors is a good short-term fix for Toronto that fits the simple role Toronto needs from their C, plus reduces tax burden for next season. Exum would be out of for the year so an injury exemption could apply if needed. Either way, dealing Wright opens space for FVV and Lorenzo Brown as 3rd stringer (basically the same player as Wright). Toronto gets a first which is great to have in another loaded draft class.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#1666 » by Asif16 » Sat Oct 7, 2017 8:01 pm

Dalek wrote:Dante Exum's injury leaves a big PG hole for Utah. I could see some serious interest in Delon Wright considering he played in Utah for college and would likely fit in well in their system.

Toronto out
JV
Delon Wright

Toronto in
Dante Exum (expiring)

Favors is a good short-term fix for Toronto that fits the simple role Toronto needs from their C, plus reduces tax burden for next season. Exum would be out of for the year so an injury exemption could apply if needed. Either way, dealing Wright opens space for FVV and Lorenzo Brown as 3rd stringer (basically the same player as Wright). Toronto gets a first which is great to have in another loaded draft class.

I dont about JV, but I do think Delon Wright to Utah makes a lot of sense.

I truly think Fred Van Fleet is the better backup PG. He can run the team a lot better and has a better 3 pt shot
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,938

Post#1667 » by Wiltside » Sat Oct 7, 2017 10:26 pm

Raptors fans, how do you feel about rolling it back for another shot at a weaker East? Honestly, you should be pretty good - and the Cavs and Celts have chemistry concerns to iron out.

Questions for you guys:
- Which young player are you most expecting to step up this year?
- Can J-Val dominate in the middle?
- Will DeRozan (and the rest of the team) shoot more threes this season?
- Do you think the Raps will revert to ISO ball come playoff time?

Wrote up some analysis and thoughts on the Raps offseason, would value some feedback if you're interested: https://thefourpointplay.blog/2017/10/06/nba-raptors-season-preview/
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,436

Post#1668 » by Rapsfan07 » Sat Oct 7, 2017 10:54 pm

Asif16 wrote:
Dalek wrote:Dante Exum's injury leaves a big PG hole for Utah. I could see some serious interest in Delon Wright considering he played in Utah for college and would likely fit in well in their system.

Toronto out
JV
Delon Wright

Toronto in
Dante Exum (expiring)

I truly think Fred Van Fleet is the better backup PG. He can run the team a lot better and has a better 3 pt shot

Gobert still plays for Utah. I don't see why the Jazz do this.

What's interesting is right now in the NBA , there is no team that needs a C. Moving JV will not be easy, if it's possible at all
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,790

Post#1669 » by Zeno » Sun Oct 8, 2017 12:15 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
Asif16 wrote:

Toronto out
JV
Delon Wright

Toronto in
Dante Exum (expiring)

What's interesting is right now in the NBA , there is no team that needs a C. Moving JV will not be easy, if it's possible at all

Maybe Val to Rockets, Delon and Anderson to Utah and Favors, Exum and a pick to Raptors.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,436

Post#1670 » by Rapsfan07 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 5:40 am

Zeno wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
Asif16 wrote:

Maybe Val to Rockets, Delon and Anderson to Utah and Favors, Exum and a pick to Raptors.

I actually don't hate this.

My only thing is we just went into the tax to retain Powell and Favors is a free agent at the end of the year. If the plan is to retain him as well, then

A) might as well get started with the rebuild and move Lowry et al.

B) if we're moving Lowry et al to rebuild, then wouldn't we be better off just keeping Val?

But I do like the value. It's just the direction afterwards that's got me a bit puzzled.
Holla
Sophomore
And1: 200

Post#1671 » by Holla » Sun Oct 8, 2017 9:05 am

The team will go into the lux tax IF its for the right move that can make the raps a true contender. Other than that i see maybe 1 small move and if an opportunity comes up for a big name, masai might bite
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,920

Post#1672 » by Senbonzakura » Sun Oct 8, 2017 1:36 pm

CoachJReturns wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:We have 124 committed next year. Are we moving Val and looking for a prospect on a rookie deal, or are we going for it? We need one more impact player somehow.

I think the really interesting scenario would be if JV got traded and the team was significantly worse without him. We give him a hard time for his defense(deservedly so), but he's been our best rebounder and most efficient scorer for years. Right now he is possibly the only good rebounder on the team unless Poeltl takes a drastic leap in his second year, which might be asking too much of him.
This team needs someone to grab the boards, especially with all the 3 point chucking they've switched to. Jonas has been a big part of this team's success and if he's dealt for a prospect it could get really ugly really fast.

I'm not sure how impactful JV's rebounding actually is. Our rebound rate with him off the floor is only marginally lower than with him on it.
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,920

Post#1673 » by Senbonzakura » Sun Oct 8, 2017 1:39 pm

Zeno wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
Asif16 wrote:

This trade is beyond **** stupid. The Rockets don't need JV when they have Capela and Nene. Why the **** would Utah give up a 1st rounder, Exum AND Favors just for the privilege of taking on Anderson's bad contract?

Seriously I swear some of you guys don't even think before you make these proposals.
rapcity10
Senior
And1: 437

Post#1674 » by rapcity10 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 2:06 pm

Toronto out
JV
Delon Wright

Toronto in
Dante Exum (expiring)

Utah laughs off the phone. You want them to trade a first rounder, Dante exum(their top 5 pick) and derricks favours for a centre who struggles in this new NBA who the league knows where trying to shed of, and for a 25 year old point guard who has shown no signs of improvements in his game. Why would Utah want JV??? Bring him off the bench for 16 mill a year?
rapcity10
Senior

Post#1675 » by rapcity10 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 2:07 pm

Lol some of these trades are ridiculous.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#1676 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 3:42 pm

rapcity10 wrote:Lol some of these trades are ridiculous.

Reality of JV.
1. Stuck with him.
2. Only way he reaches potential is in a post DD-KL window when the team is awful.

Do not think we can trade our way out of the JV dilemma. He simply isn't bad enough to give away for cap space. Ride it out and dump Bebe.
rapcity10
Senior

Post#1677 » by rapcity10 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 3:50 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
rapcity10 wrote:Lol some of these trades are ridiculous.

Reality of JV.
1. Stuck with him.
2. Only way he reaches potential is in a post DD-KL window when the team is awful.

Do not think we can trade our way out of the JV dilemma. He simply isn't bad enough to give away for cap space. Ride it out and dump Bebe.

We can. He just needs to really increase his trade value during the season. Then maybe just maybe you can package him and Delon together for something worthwhile.
Chuck-Cheese
Senior
And1: 230

Post#1678 » by Chuck-Cheese » Sun Oct 8, 2017 5:22 pm

Toronto out
JV
Delon Wright

Toronto in
Dante Exum (expiring)

great deal for Toronto but have to think Utah would get some much better offers than JV and Wright if they made that package available.
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#1679 » by CoachJReturns » Sun Oct 8, 2017 6:07 pm

Senbonzakura wrote:
CoachJReturns wrote:

I'm not sure how impactful JV's rebounding actually is. Our rebound rate with him off the floor is only marginally lower than with him on it.

Post the numbers for regular season AND playoffs. Along with the team's numbers with and without him in the playoffs the past 2 years when they actually got out of the first round. If you take away JV and/or Powell, this team would have been a first round exit and not an ECF team. It's not even disputable. Our so called all-stars **** the bed again after the Wizards sweep.
I'm not trying to hype up JV, but what we can get for him is likely much lower than his value to this good, but not great, team.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#1680 » by Dalek » Sun Oct 8, 2017 9:59 pm

Chuck-Cheese wrote:

Toronto out
JV
Delon Wright

Toronto in
Dante Exum (expiring)

great deal for Toronto but have to think Utah would get some much better offers than JV and Wright if they made that package available.

Yes, there may be better packages out there, but it does look pretty good for both teams.

I think Utah values playing with bigs more than other teams. They have had Favors and Gobert upfront for years and with their motion offense it works for playmaking bigs. JV is moving in that direction and would be a fit.

Based on the Utah commentators I think Utah values JV. He averaged 16 and 10 over two games against Utah.

Delon Wright is a very good asset on a cheap rookie deal. Fit a need and is cost-effective.

Toronto would use Favors effectively, and if he cannot be a good rim protector they let him walk. They also let Exum walk if they are uncertain about his recovery. That first round pick and cost savings is why Toronto loves it.

Return to Toronto Raptors