ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Free Agency Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,535

Re: NBA Free Agency Thread 

Post#541 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:05 pm

hsb wrote:
ill-Will03 wrote:
hsb wrote:Boo hoo. You don't trade two picks for CJ on a two year plus player option.

You're acing like we gave up lotto picks to get rid of Carroll. Some of you don't realize that most of the players drafted don't end up to be anything special

and if the team is only going to be a perennial playoff team that will do anything to stay under the tax for three years and then rebuild, I'll rather have those young players on the team because it'll have more benefit than trading Carroll, two picks and CoJo for CJ Miles....

If only the NBA wasn’t a business…
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#542 » by hsb » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:07 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
hsb wrote:
ill-Will03 wrote:Y

You're acing like we gave up lotto picks to get rid of Carroll. Some of you don't realize that most of the players drafted don't end up to be anything special

and if the team is only going to be a perennial playoff team that will do anything to stay under the tax for three years and then rebuild, I'll rather have those young players on the team because it'll have more benefit than trading Carroll, two picks and CoJo for CJ Miles....

If only you added something to the conversation...
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,535

Post#543 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:12 pm

hsb wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
hsb wrote:and if the team is only going to be a perennial playoff team that will do anything to stay under the tax for three years and then rebuild, I'll rather have those young players on the team because it'll have more benefit than trading Carroll, two picks and CoJo for CJ Miles....

If only you added something to the conversation...

Facts and a dose of reality ain't something?
Olufsen
Junior
And1: 29

Post#544 » by Olufsen » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:20 am

John Wall, Wizards Agree Upon Four-Year, $170M Extension

all these summer contracts trad-able at the deadline?
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#545 » by Patman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:30 am

hsb wrote:
ill-Will03 wrote:
hsb wrote:Boo hoo. You don't trade two picks for CJ on a two year plus player option.

It's simple cap and asset management. Stacking your roster with average prospects has diminishing returns. I'd rather get guys who can contribute in our 3 year window.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#546 » by Wo1verine » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:02 pm

In no way shape or form would i have traded, Carroll, Joseph, 1st and 2nd for CJ Miles ( unless i was forced) if anything that's bad asset management.

Sure we clear cap space but that doesn't mean anything to us fans it's not like they had plans or will ever spend tax money because we'll never be good enough,(especially always choosing in the 20s ) for them to justify that bill.

We can only hope Masai has learned his lesson with regards to handing out $60M to freaking role players.
BrunoSkull
hsb
RealGM

Post#547 » by hsb » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Patman wrote:
hsb wrote:
ill-Will03 wrote:

It's simple cap and asset management. Stacking your roster with average prospects has diminishing returns. I'd rather get guys who can contribute in our 3 year window.

If you want to win now, then they have to take a bigger risk. Just like Morey said about Houston.

If they want a rebuild in a few years, then don't squander away 5 draft picks to remain under the tax.

They are bleeding on both sides at the current rate (currently not making moves to reach a higher tier during this win now period and losing young cost-controlled contracts for the rebuild that will be fast approaching).

The only way MLSE functions like they own a sports team in Toronto are the extravagant ticket prices.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#548 » by navyblue » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:25 pm

hsb wrote:If you want to win now, then they have to take a bigger risk. Just like Morey said about Houston.

If they want a rebuild in a few years, then don't squander away 5 draft picks to remain under the tax.

They are bleeding on both sides at the current rate (currently not making moves to reach a higher tier during this win now period and losing young cost-controlled contracts for the rebuild that will be fast approaching).

The only way MLSE functions like they own a sports team in Toronto are the extravagant ticket prices.

run it by me how it cost us 5 picks to remain under the tax?
hsb
RealGM

Post#549 » by hsb » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:37 pm

navyblue wrote:
hsb wrote:If you want to win now, then they have to take a bigger risk. Just like Morey said about Houston.

If they want a rebuild in a few years, then don't squander away 5 draft picks.

There. Now that we got that out of the way...

It did take three though for this year - two to get rid of Carroll and one more draft pick this year because they are already cutting it close. If KL makes his unlikely bonus they can possibly cross the threshold as is.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#550 » by MixxSRC » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:40 pm

Rebuilding with late first round pick and 2nd round pick LOL. But that's not a surprise from a fanbase who says OG Anunoby is gonna be a starting SF in his rookie year, Norman Powell is Westbrook lite and future All-Star lmao
hsb
RealGM

Post#551 » by hsb » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:54 pm

MixxSRC wrote:Rebuilding with late first round pick and 2nd round pick LOL. But that's not a surprise from a fanbase who says OG Anunoby is gonna be a starting SF in his rookie year, Norman Powell is Westbrook lite and future All-Star lmao

As opposed to rebuilding without no recent first round picks and second round picks on the roster? That's the issue in the coming years.

You're not going all-in with a win now mode because you are risk adverse and then you end up reshuffling to remain under the tax - in the same tier - where you are losing assets/players that you would otherwise want for a rebuild coming up.

Hemorrhaging both sides of where you want to go and the worst part about it, Raps have some of the highest ticket prices come playoffs every year - on face value and secondary market for the rounds they are in.

As a customer/consumer, that raises some questions.
MixxSRC
General Manager

Post#552 » by MixxSRC » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:00 pm

hsb wrote:
MixxSRC wrote:Rebuilding with late first round pick and 2nd round pick LOL. But that's not a surprise from a fanbase who says OG Anunoby is gonna be a starting SF in his rookie year, Norman Powell is Westbrook lite and future All-Star lmao

As opposed to rebuilding without no recent first round picks and second round picks on the roster? That's the issue in the coming years.

You're not going all-in with a win now mode because you are risk adverse and then you end up reshuffling to remain under the tax - in the same tier - where you are losing assets/players that you would otherwise want for a rebuild coming up.

Hemorrhaging both sides of where you want to go and the worst part about it, Raps have some of the highest ticket prices come playoffs every year - on face value and secondary market for the rounds they are in.

It's ONE year. It's not gonna break or make the rebuild. Especially 2nd round pick and late first round pick. Reason why tickets are pricy is because demand is great. Bidding war. It's not like tickets don't sell.
hsb
RealGM

Post#553 » by hsb » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:07 pm

MixxSRC wrote:
hsb wrote:

It's ONE year. It's not gonna break or make the rebuild. Especially 2nd round pick and late first round pick. Reason why tickets are pricy is because demand is great. Bidding war. It's not like tickets don't sell.

Five picks given out over a short span - it doesn't help an upcoming rebuild. You let Golden State keep their 7th and 30th pick and lose out on their 36th in 2012 and what happens to their first championship?
MixxSRC
General Manager

Post#554 » by MixxSRC » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:18 pm

hsb wrote:
MixxSRC wrote:
hsb wrote:As opposed to rebuilding without no recent first round picks and second round picks on the roster? That's the issue in the coming years.

Five picks given out over a short span - it doesn't help an upcoming rebuild. You let Golden State keep their 7th and 30th pick and lose out on their 36th in 2012 and what happens to their first championship?

Proper rebuild starts with finding that franchise player first. We're not gonna find him in late round and 2nd round. After 3 year window we will trade a bunch of guys for picks, tank hard and we will be alright. Don't worry
MixxSRC
General Manager

Post#555 » by MixxSRC » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:19 pm

Picks have a lot of value when you don't know who the guys are. Once draft ends their value drops immediately. So there's no worries
hsb
RealGM

Post#556 » by hsb » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:25 pm

MixxSRC wrote:
hsb wrote:
MixxSRC wrote:

Proper rebuild starts with finding that franchise player first. We're not gonna find him in late round and 2nd round. After 3 year window we will trade a bunch of guys for picks, tank hard and we will be alright. Don't worry

Just a poor use of assets. Half-measures that limit the potential of winning now and rebuilding in a few years caused by an ownership group that pretends it doesn't own a team in a market the size of Toronto.
MixxSRC
General Manager

Post#557 » by MixxSRC » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:26 pm

hsb wrote:
MixxSRC wrote:
hsb wrote:

Just a poor use of assets. Half-measures that limit the potential of winning now and rebuilding in a few years caused by an ownership group that pretends it doesn't own a team in a market the size of Toronto.

Why do we wanna pay extra for Carroll, Cojo and Patterson? I don't understand.
hsb
RealGM

Post#558 » by hsb » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:28 pm

MixxSRC wrote:
hsb wrote:
MixxSRC wrote:

Why do we wanna pay extra for Carroll, Cojo and Patterson? I don't understand.

Pay extra for PPatt? You know how much he ended up making? That's a steal regardless of his ups and downs. Why wouldn't I want CoJo to not be given away for nothing? You already read my perspective on giving away two picks for CJ Miles - no way you do that regardless of where you are picking. Boo.

Anyways, I'm good. Nothing more to add here, I shared my perspective.
MixxSRC
General Manager

Post#559 » by MixxSRC » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:35 pm

Alright. You shared your perspective. I respect that. I'm just saying Patterson sucks and we payed dearly for his downs. Can't be trusted. He got payed exactly how much he deserves. I don't wanna hear about it being a steal. Good teams don't pay a lot for Patterson. Cojo went for CJ Miles. It's all good. And we have Wright. Carroll was **** trash so we gave two useless picks to unload him whatever. It's a wash for me.
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#560 » by navyblue » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:53 pm

hsb wrote:
navyblue wrote:

If they want a rebuild in a few years, then don't squander away 5 draft picks.

There. Now that we got that out of the way...

It did take three though for this year - two to get rid of Carroll and one more draft pick this year because they are already cutting it close. If KL makes his unlikely bonus they can possibly cross the threshold as is.

first of all you didnt explain how you got to the fact we spent 5 picks to get under the tax

and secondly i want people to say the 25th,54th pick, 2 2nds and a lotto protected first

saying 5 picks makes it sound like we gave up a haul worse than the nets.

Return to Toronto Raptors